View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Michael Oher? What's the deal? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Michael Oher? What's the deal?
After a disappointing senior year Michael Oher is basically considered the 4th best tackle prospect behind Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith. But yet I hear people talk about him as if he's a possibility for the #1 overall pick.

Seriously what's the deal?

January 11th, 2009, 1:22 pm
QB Coach

He is probably going to be the best pro out of that group and he has the potential to be the next Orlando Pace. He's also a good kid who has shown he will do what it takes to succeed on and off the field. If he had come out last year he would have been the second tackle taken possibly by St. Louis. For a big man he has quick feet and he is solid in both pass protection and the running game. Most places I've seen him ranked as either the top tackle, or second behind Andre Smith. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 10.

January 11th, 2009, 4:39 pm
National Champion

I think the big upside for Oher is that he pass blocks and run blocks equally well. Other tackles this draft seem to do well in one or the other, but not both. Also, he is said to have a damn good work ethic and extremely long arms. He seems to be the OT with the least risk. I'd say that's why some people are high on him instead of Smith, Monroe, Black, Smith, Mack, etc.

January 11th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Michael Oher? What's the deal?
Leo wrote:
After a disappointing senior year Michael Oher is basically considered the 4th best tackle prospect behind Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith. But yet I hear people talk about him as if he's a possibility for the #1 overall pick.

Seriously what's the deal?

It depends on who your listening to, at nfldraftscout.com he is listed as the top player overall.

January 11th, 2009, 10:01 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

After looking at about 2 dozen different websites just about everybody has them listed in that order.

Oher is considered just to inconsistent with highest bust factor from everything I've read.

While the guy who might have the biggest upside is Jason Smith.

I really don't think Oher is a candidate for the #1 overall pick.

January 11th, 2009, 11:44 pm
QB Coach

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... id%3d23889

Link to ESPN's scouting of Oher. He received the highest marks of all the tackles listed, however, Andre Smith's ratings weren't up. Oher was ranked as exceptional in 4 of 9 categories. Monroe had only 2 exceptional rankings and Jason Smith had none. For some reason they still have Oher as the 27th prospect.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... l-Oher.php

There's another scouting report.

ESPN is the only place I've seen him listed that low. Most mocks have him as the first or second tackle and usually off the board in the top 10. I don't see how you can be down on a guy who has the chance to be the next Orlando Pace or Walter Jones. His stock has slipped recently but I still think he proves to be the best of this bunch.

January 12th, 2009, 12:15 am
Junior Varsity

Just wait till the combine and then watch him soar above the others!

January 12th, 2009, 12:28 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

From what I've gathered, Oher didn't perform as well as expected, and others caught up to him in ratings. I also heard he had some issues taking coaching direction. Hard to know if it's true or just conjecture.

Oher is an amazing athlete, a great combination of size, strength and quickness. Of all the tackles, he's by far (in my opinion) the most polished and NFL ready. I would rank him as better than Jake Long at this stage when he was coming out last year. His athletic talent is certainly better, but probably not his technical skills. I see him as another D'Brickshaw Ferguson in athletic talent. Not bad company to be in.

Of all the tackles, I think Smith is the most likely bust. I see Aaron Gibson or Stockar McDougle written all over him. Any potential LT who has trouble controlling his weight at an early age is a recipe for disaster.

January 12th, 2009, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

Then Eugene Monroe.

I really like Jason Smith, but I don't think he's ready to step right in. He's average size, 6'5'' 305 and not a great run blocker. He's got amazing fluidity in pass protection and blocking speed rushers.

January 12th, 2009, 10:30 pm
QB Coach

I also think Oher is the best OT in the draft. He's going to be a stud.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

January 13th, 2009, 12:46 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I can go on all day finding these kind of reviews and rankings. If you read his scouting reports going into the year he sounded like a complete stud. But since then he's clearly fallen behind the 3.

1. Ole Miss OT Michael Oher
There are times when Oher is flat-out dominant. There are other times, though, when he is beaten by a clearly inferior opponent. That inconsistency is maddening and makes it difficult for a scout to stamp Oher with a high grade. While he possesses the physical tools to warrant top-15 consideration, it will be interesting to see if he slips to the bottom half of the first round -- or beyond -- because of concerns regarding his work ethic, motor and overall toughness.

4. OLT Michael Oher, Mississippi (Sr.)
Oher is an enigma who looks every bit the part with long arms and natural strength and athletic ability that cannot be taught. After cycling through the foster system, he has had to deal with three different position coaches in four years and has had difficulty finding the stability and continuity needed to truly blossom. Shows the ability to knock defenders on their backs one play but can look completely disinterested the next. Has been coddled throughout college and could be challenged to handle the trappings of success that come with the NFL. Initially began his career inside at Ole Miss, where he had help on each side and could be better covered up, and some evaluators are convinced his best chance will come inside. Whether inside or outside, Oher will require some time to adapt to the pro game and possesses as much bust potential as any elite tackle in the draft.

Michael Oher (Mississippi) will fall into the middle of round one.
The subject of the best selling book The Blind Side, Oher has all of the physical skills to be a dominant NFL left tackle. He has the kind of athleticism that teams drool over for a left tackle, but Oher has consistency and and commitment issues. When Ed Oregron lost his job a year ago as the head coach of Missippi, Oher was looked at as part of Oregron’s failure. Oher can dominate great speed rushers, but he doesn’t always show up on film.

Mike Mayock's top 20 college senior prospect list
3 Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
4 Jason Smith OT Baylor
12 Michael Oher OT Mississippi

Mel Kiper's 2009 Big Board
2. Jason Smith Sr. OT Baylor
5. Eugene Monroe Sr. OT Virginia
10. Michael Oher Sr. OT Mississippi

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32
1. Andre Smith* OT Alabama 98
4. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 97
9. Jason Smith OT Baylor 95
25. Michael Oher OT Mississippi 91

January 14th, 2009, 11:29 pm
QB Coach

And I can go on all day highlighting the positives of taking him. Scouting reports I've seen mentioned questions about his work ethic but have said he has dedicated himself and shown that not to be an issue. Have you read about what he had to do just to get into college because of his family background? The work he had to put into that should prove his work ethic.

Every player is going to have negatives and positives on their scouting report. I don't think it's clear to say at all that he's fallen behind the other three. Andre Smith is the only one that I've seen rival him for the top LT ranking throughout the scouting world and Smith is inconsistent between his run and pass blocking.

Oher has not missed a game. There is no injury concern. He has good size, strength and agility. Andre Smith has size which could be a problem down the road. He has OK strength for his size but he lacks the same agility that Oher has.

Jason Smith looks to be a solid prospect, but not elite. I would take him at #20 if we don't take a LT #1.

Monroe seems like an above average prospect but when a lineman has had multiple knee injuries it worries me. He isn't worth #1 but if he shows he can stay healthy he will go mid first round.

Bottom line last year Oher could have been the first tackle taken and would have been at worst the second one. I don't think he slipped that much this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Andre Smith was the next Stokcar McDougal or Aaron Gibson.

Look I could be wrong here. I'll say that right now but in my gut from watching these guys play Oher is the best. I'll admit I don't think I've seen Jason Smith very much but I've seen probably about 5-10 Ole Miss games, 7-10 VA games and about 8 or so Alabama games over the past 2 seasons. This season especially I have made sure to watch these LTs because we really need a new one.

January 15th, 2009, 12:06 am
Walk On

He isn't worth #1 but if he shows he can stay healthy he will go mid first round.

Stay healthy between now and the draft? Can't be too difficult...

Don't mean to bust your balls. Oh wait, yes I do. :D

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Andre Smith was the next Stockar McDougal or Aaron Gibson.

So with that opinion, and knowing that Smith is very likely to be the first LT taken- do you still advocate taking LT at no. 1?

I like LT value at #20 if one of the top four is still on the board. If not, I like Eben Britton at #33. We'd get more value overall by taking another position at the top combined with a lower first LT. LT is so deep, you still get an elite tackle plus an elite player (defensive?) with the #1. There are so many good LTs, that you are getting a steal from the lower first with any one of these guys.

If you eliminate any 3 of the top 4, I believe the remaining LT would go top five, without exception. There is more supply than demand, so their price drops. It's like a fire sale of LTs. Why pay retail when we can get it near wholesale? LT at 20 or 33.

-ILMP

Last edited by InterimLionsMasterPimp on January 17th, 2009, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2009, 12:45 am
QB Coach

I meant like if he holds up in the medical exams/evaluations from the combine and player interviews, showing that his injuries won't be a concern in the future.

I'm an advocate of the best player which as I've stated I feel is Oher right now. I don't want to take Andre Smith. Yes to a LT if it's Oher, no to Andre Smith.

January 17th, 2009, 12:50 am
Heisman Winner

Stockar McDougle's issue was not with talent, it was with his interest. He had elite physical tools, but had no interest in working to become a top player. Once he got as far as he could on his natural talent, he was finished. IF Oher has commitment issues, he sounds a bit like Stockar in a way. Let's hope our new scouting conglomerate can see those issues and steer clear of those who have them

January 19th, 2009, 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next