View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Michael Oher? What's the deal? 
1st Round Pick

4 tackles who it seems it's difficult to rate, sounds like T is a good option for our #20 to me if we want to go down that route, rather than our #1.

January 19th, 2009, 10:51 am
Stadium Announcer

From what I've gathered, Oher didn't perform as well as expected, and others caught up to him in ratings. I also heard he had some issues taking coaching direction. Hard to know if it's true or just conjecture.

Oher is an amazing athlete, a great combination of size, strength and quickness. Of all the tackles, he's by far (in my opinion) the most polished and NFL ready. I would rank him as better than Jake Long at this stage when he was coming out last year. His athletic talent is certainly better, but probably not his technical skills. I see him as another D'Brickshaw Ferguson in athletic talent. Not bad company to be in.

Of all the tackles, I think Smith is the most likely bust. I see Aaron Gibson or Stockar McDougle written all over him. Any potential LT who has trouble controlling his weight at an early age is a recipe for disaster.

I have heard that Oher seems to have problems with complex blocking schemes.I really want to see what he scores on the wonderlic.If he does avg. or better I can see him moving back up in the OT class.

January 19th, 2009, 7:16 pm
Team MVP

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=384770 ... id=2564308

A little less than halfway through the video, Todd McShay brings up Oher, check it out.

January 21st, 2009, 8:04 pm
#1 Overall Pick

4 tackles who it seems it's difficult to rate, sounds like T is a good option for our #20 to me if we want to go down that route, rather than our #1.

Here's something to think when you plan to take a OLT later in the 1st round.

roup #1........

Willie Anderson, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, William "Tra" Thomas, John Tait, Chris Salmuels, Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Jordan Gross, Robert Gallery, Jammal Brown, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown

Group #2......

John Michels, Jamain Stephens, Andre Johnson, Ross Verba, Mo Collins, Victor Riley, Matt Stinchcomb, L.J. Shelton, Aaron Gibson, Stockar McDougle, Chris McIntosh, Kenyatta Walker, Jeff Backus, Marc Colombo, George Foster, Kwame Harris, Vernon Carey, Alex Barron, Joe Staley.

.................................................................................

The first group is the OTs taken in the top 13 overall selections from 1996 to 2007. There are 15 players there, and all but 3 of them have played at a Pro-Bowl level in their career. Levi Brown and D'Brick are still young and are starting on GOOD teams.....with a chance of improving still. Gallery is "flop" at OLT....but at least he still is a decent OG.

The 2nd group is the players chosen from #14 to the end of the 1st round at OT.

YIKES!!! :shock:

That is SCARY!

I didn't include the 2008 draft class because it is rather unfair to judge an OT on their rookie season, but Long and Clady do seem to be a class ahead of the others. ALSO.......the top 5 OTs were GONE by the #20 pick in 2008.

Also........consider that the Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Raiders, Jags, Packers, and Redskins could all be looking at OTs......so there may not be any of those tackles left to choose from.

January 23rd, 2009, 2:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

UK Lion wrote:

Here's something to think when you plan to take a OLT later in the 1st round.

roup #1........

Willie Anderson, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, William "Tra" Thomas, John Tait, Chris Salmuels, Mike Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Jordan Gross, Robert Gallery, Jammal Brown, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown

Group #2......

John Michels, Jamain Stephens, Andre Johnson, Ross Verba, Mo Collins, Victor Riley, Matt Stinchcomb, L.J. Shelton, Aaron Gibson, Stockar McDougle, Chris McIntosh, Kenyatta Walker, Jeff Backus, Marc Colombo, George Foster, Kwame Harris, Vernon Carey, Alex Barron, Joe Staley.

.................................................................................

The first group is the OTs taken in the top 13 overall selections from 1996 to 2007. There are 15 players there, and all but 3 of them have played at a Pro-Bowl level in their career. Levi Brown and D'Brick are still young and are starting on GOOD teams.....with a chance of improving still. Gallery is "flop" at OLT....but at least he still is a decent OG.

The 2nd group is the players chosen from #14 to the end of the 1st round at OT.

YIKES!!! :shock:

That is SCARY!

I didn't include the 2008 draft class because it is rather unfair to judge an OT on their rookie season, but Long and Clady do seem to be a class ahead of the others. ALSO.......the top 5 OTs were GONE by the #20 pick in 2008.

Also........consider that the Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Raiders, Jags, Packers, and Redskins could all be looking at OTs......so there may not be any of those tackles left to choose from.

So basically, this years class of LT's are over rated.

January 23rd, 2009, 5:32 pm
#1 Overall Pick

So basically, this years class of LT's are over rated.

Billy, I'm not sure what you mean?

I honestly didn't watch enough college football to see the 4 top prospects play much, but it seems the "gurus" like them all as possible top 10 picks.

All I was saying is that we can't PLAN for any of the top 4 OLTs to drop to the #20 pick........because IF many of the scouts feel they are solid OLT prospects, then they will not fall that far.

This is perhaps the "safest" position for the scouts to evaluate.....at least in terms of past success. Therefore, it seems that it isn't as likely for top talents to slip to the bottom half of round 1.

Disclaimer: Yes, I do realize that the occasional Michael Roos, Tony Ugoh, Matt Light, or Marvel Smith may be drafted out of round 2 or later.......but they are the BIG EXCEPTION to the rule. And those guys also play on 4 of the most successful organizations in the NFL!!!!!!!!!

January 24th, 2009, 12:03 am
NFL Veteran

This is perhaps the "safest" position for the scouts to evaluate.....at least in terms of past success. Therefore, it seems that it isn't as likely for top talents to slip to the bottom half of round 1.

The more I read and research all the prospects, I think a Left Tackle would give me the most peace of mind.

That said, I hope something comes out to make it apparent that one of the top defensive talents are on that can't miss level. At this point though, I wouldn't be disappointed with a Left Tackle. Watching highlights of them, I think these guys are monsters. One of the best LT classes I've seen. I seriously think none of the top 4 will be available at our 20 pick.

January 24th, 2009, 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

The more that I read about the LT's available, its really all about how they do at the combine, as always. At this point however, I have some concerns:

Andre Smith: I wonder how he will measure. I have a feeling he's going to measure at 6'3.5" or lower. He also will probably weigh in at 340+. Thats a big dude, and I wonder how he will do against the edge rushers in our division like Jared Allen, Mark Anderson, and Aaron Kampman. After watching him play a few times he's a heck of a mauler, but will it be the type of tenacity that translates better to a OG? I just don't want another Robert Gallery situation.

Eugene Monroe: Doesn't seem to warrant the #1 overall pick. If we can move down into the top 5 i'd feel like we're getting better value out of the pick. I don't know much about him, and Virginia was not the best team this year, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a bust.

Jason Smith: He's a little undersized. and we've been dealing with an undersized tackle with Jeff Backus for the last 10 years. He's got good fluidity, but he might get overpowered without a TE on his side, which won't bode well with our current TE grouping on the roster.

Michael Oher: I like this guy, I've seen him play very well at times, but it seems like he's got issues with consistency. He seems to have his head on his shoulders and has the most upside, but can he be the #1. If all the experts are saying he's slipping, is that not a red flag after having McDougle and BMW, both guys with talent but didn't want to play up to it.

A top tier tackle is imperative in this draft for the Lions. Although we can't make educated assumptions about these guys until the combine, a QB is something that I might consider after all of the talk about the LT.

January 24th, 2009, 1:15 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Prospect of the day

Ole Miss OT Oher has classic boom-or-bust potential

By Nolan Nawrocki
profootballweekly.com
Jan. 22, 2009

OT Michael Oher

Mississippi senior
Ht: 6-5; Wt: 309; 40-time: 5.2 (est.)
Arms: 33¼ inches; Hands: 10¼ inches

Upside: Naturally athletic, with long arms. Good balance and light on his feet. Sets quickly in protection with good anchor strength. Powerful and can knock defenders off the ball. Can pull, trap and maneuver in space.

Downside: Average lateral quickness to slide, shuffle and mirror. Inconsistent hand placement and punch. Technique will need refinement — too often opens his shoulders, overextends and loses his balance. Bends too much at the waist and needs to do a better job sustaining. Looks disinterested at times and can be late to recognize the blitz. Has been too coddled throughout college, and his desire and passion for the game are iffy. Questionable football intelligence — will need extra reps.

The way we see it: Has the physical talent to line up at left tackle and handle edge speed but, with three different position coaches in four years, has yet to put it all together, and serious questions remain about whether he ever will. Has overcome a tremendous amount of adversity in his short lifetime but possesses classic boom-or-bust potential and will likely require several years to adapt to the pros. Some scouts think he will need to play inside, where he has help on both sides, as he did when he entered Mississippi.

January 27th, 2009, 3:47 pm
NFL Veteran

Value picking. I think we have an opportunity to do that here with Oher.

There's that age old debate of Best Player Available versus (Reaching) for a need. Value picking versus need picking. Obviously there's a balance you like to strike where you don't pick someone who will be available several rounds later, and you do 'reach' because they won't be available with your next pick.

For the life of me, I don't know why Oher is considered a late first rounder. Scouts always have negative things to say. Mocks and rankings put him at the bottom of the first round. I think if that is the proper read on him, and the consensus, he may be available at the 20 pick. The Lions have a direct bearing on how this can play out. If there are three teams after the Lions targeting a LT in the first round, and before the 20, then if the Lions take a Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe, then the 3 teams will take the remaining. If by virtue of a defensive pick, or god forbid, Matthew Stafford, that slots the LT's down the line making Oher a possibility at 20. It's a gamble, but the Lions just need to get a read on what kind of demand there are for LT's in this draft. He's a project for sure, but he does have the potential to be the best of the bunch, and if he can be had at the 20 spot? I would absolutely be thrilled. Some people here have stated they want to use the number one on him. What would you say if he could be had at the 2nd first rounder?

January 27th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm baffled at the inconsistence rating of Oher. I thought he was a consensus best tackle in the draft, but I've seen him anywhere from the top prospect to not being taken till the 20's in the first round.

It concerns me, because Long was never this inconsistent in the rating for him. As I do not see another tackle that looks like a number one I really think defense is the best bet for a number one pick.

January 28th, 2009, 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2