View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Schwartz hints at potential #1 pick 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Schwartz hints at potential #1 pick
ESPN Insider-protected content I ran across earlier this week. I couldn't view it because I am not an Insider, and I wondered whether anybody here who read the article might be able to provide the scoop.

Anybody? :arrow:

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

January 18th, 2009, 2:13 pm
NFL Veteran

I can't find anything of the sort. My guess though, is it probably has to do with his comment about it being time to replace Bobby Lane's replacement.

January 18th, 2009, 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

January 18th, 2009, 9:17 pm
NFL Veteran

Schwartz dropping hints on Lions' No. 1?
During the Detroit Lions' head-coaching search, the team had the finalists take the podium and field questions from the gathered press as they would do after each game if hired. As Adam Schefter of NFL.com reports, the answers given by eventual hire Jim Schwartz might give some indication of what the team will do with the first pick in April's draft.
When asked generally about the quarterback position, Schwartz said, "Quarterback is the trump card of all positions in the NFL. If you have a good quarterback, you can cover up a lot of other areas on your team. If you don't have a great quarterback, you have to be really good in a lot of other areas. So I think if you ask anybody in the NFL the most important position, it's going to be quarterback. People always ask when there's a young quarterback, 'Do you play him right away, or do you let him sit on the bench?' And the answer is: It depends." Schwartz was then asked directly about the team's No. 1 overall pick, to which he replied, "I think the important thing is finding the right person. I don't think you tie yourself into positions. Obviously, there's a lot of needs. I think obviously the most important position on the team is quarterback. It's probably time to find a replacement for Bobby Layne."

While Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford has elected to stay for his senior season, the University of Georgia's Matt Stafford and USC's Mark Sanchez will be available to Detroit, and both are in the high 90's in Scouts Inc.'s grading scale, which amounts to high first-round in NFL draft terms.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen has reported that Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are the two most likely candidates to become Schwartz' offensive coordinator in Detroit.

January 18th, 2009, 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

he also said he wants to put together a team built for december football that can run and stop the run with big, physical players...which is in lockstep with what mayhew said

January 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Thanks, HB. Sort of makes me less inclined to shell out dough for the insider privileges because there wasn't exactly any new news there.

Suffice it to say, I think this will be the most entertaining draft for Lions fans ever. Really cannot go too wrong when we have to address every position on the field (save for K).

January 19th, 2009, 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]