View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 wishing & wanting 2009 
Heisman Winner

Post wishing & wanting 2009
how about this:

1-1 Matt Stafford QB Georgia
1-20 James Larunitas(sp?) LB OSU
2-1 William Beatty OL UConn
3-1 Kraig Urbick OG Wisconsin
3-19 best defender available. SLB, CB, SS

I'm sure, as always, my whims will change going forward.

The QB pick is predicated on the assumption that Stafford is the real thing. If there are any doubts, draft Orapko or Curry.

January 18th, 2009, 6:10 pm
RIP Killer

To bad my opinion doesn't matter... lol.

I just really don't want QB number one and I also am not a fan of JL at 20. I've watched him play, and he just hasn't gotten better. He is a solid LB, that I would consider in early round 2. He won't last, but I feel there are better bets in other players. Just watch his film, I don't think he translates well to the NFL deserving of a first rounder.

January 18th, 2009, 6:36 pm
Walk On

With the 33 pick I like a top guard pick of OG Duke Robinson or maybe a Herman Johnson over the perhaps sixth best tackle. I think we could really use the size in the middle over another tackle. Personally I like two OGs from that pick and the 3a pick rather than tackle. Beef up that line a little. I have a feeling Backus won't be such a glaring issue if the rest of the line is upgraded. We'd have quality young players at LG, RG, and RT, plus Backus and Raiola. Perhaps upgrade LT when it makes financial sense. Sliding the problem over to guard won't solve anything.

-ILMP

January 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Team MVP

I kinda like it except for the Matt Stafford pick. A quarterback with the #1 overall wont stop opposing offenses from scoring, it wont help us run the ball better, and it sure as hell wont reduce the amount of sacks our pathetic line allows. No Qb.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 19th, 2009, 10:26 am
NFL Team Captain

When can teams start talking contracts with these kids? If the Lions can't trade out of #1 I would like to see them do as Miami did and have their choice wrapped up befor the draft.

This could very easily save us alot of cash.

January 20th, 2009, 9:26 am
NFL Team Captain

The reason I ask is because of Ray Maualuga-MLB-USC. Ray is a bigger, stronger and meaner than all get out version of Chris Speilman.

It was mentioned in the coaching that Speilman may make a decent LB coach. If Chris could impart his drive and heart upon Ray it would make Ray the perfect 1# for us and I think we could sign him for less than a QB or LT.

Thoughts?

A player to consider with the 1b pick would be William Moore S Missouri, he was discribed in a previous post as a big, physical safety with ballhawking skills. No. 22 on that board. I've only seen him play once and he certainly lives up to the hype.

Then take the best OG available with #33

More thought?

Last edited by jomo269 on January 20th, 2009, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 20th, 2009, 1:32 pm
Team MVP

The reason I ask is because of Ray Maualuga-MLB-USC. Ray is a bigger, stronger and meaner than all get out version of Chris Speilman.

It was mentioned in the coaching that Speilman may make a decent LB coach. If Chris could impart his drive and heart upon Ray it would make Ray the perfect 1# for us and I think we could sign him for less than a QB or LT.

Thoughts?

My thoughts?? I love it! I want Rey on this team, really bad! Id like to have our own "Urlacher".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 20th, 2009, 1:35 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Post Re: wishing & wanting 2009
jrd66 wrote:
how about this:

1-1 Matt Stafford QB Georgia
1-20 James Larunitas(sp?) LB OSU
2-1 William Beatty OL UConn
3-1 Kraig Urbick OG Wisconsin
3-19 best defender available. SLB, CB, SS

I'm sure, as always, my whims will change going forward.

The QB pick is predicated on the assumption that Stafford is the real thing. If there are any doubts, draft Orapko or Curry.

I'm personally hoping that the draft falls in a way that AT LEAST 3 of those first 5 picks can be defensive players. I don't advocate taking a player to fit a specific position of need if there isn't a good value in it....but I hope we can trade down if need be at any given pick and still get some quality defensive players.

January 20th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Div 1 - Starter

As long as we're just wishing and not thinking in real terms...how about

#1 Trade down and grab Curry
#1-2 Trade up a bit using those extra picks we just nabbed and get Maualuga
(Linebackers now set for the near future)

I'm good with your remaining picks since we definitely need OL help. I've also been starting to see the wisdom of having a play-making safety in today's NFL. However I don't necessarily see one of those in this years draft. I do believe we need a quarterback and darn soon, however I'm not sold on Stafford and especially not on Sanchez. Also I'd like to have an OL so the QB can play from his feet.

January 20th, 2009, 10:49 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

The Lions need to do whatever it takes to end up with ILB Rey Maulagua and DT B.J. Raji. Maulagua #1 and trade up a few spots if need be to land Raji. Duke Robinson in the 2nd now that would be a great draft.

January 22nd, 2009, 9:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Maulauga is NOT a #1 Pick. He is NOT a #5 Pick. He is a #10-20 Pick.

From what Ive read he is the Roy Williams (SS) of MLBs. He will hit hard. He will bring intensity. he is a decent leader. He cant cover and overpursues/misdiagnoses run plays.

We already have a Hard Hitting , Decently Fast High Motor , Overruns plays Linebacker at WILL.

Our MLB needs to be a field General, not just a hrd hitter. He needs to be the leader of this defense and solid in every way. Not Over the top Pros but also serious Cons.

January 22nd, 2009, 9:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

The Lions need to do whatever it takes to end up with ILB Rey Maulagua and DT B.J. Raji. Maulagua #1 and trade up a few spots if need be to land Raji. Duke Robinson in the 2nd now that would be a great draft.

I like your mentality and positions, just not the specific players. Curry is the LB at #1, not Maualuga. Curry has the complete game, is roughly the same size as Rey, and is faster to boot. Maualuga is only good against the run between the tackles. Misdirection runs and pass plays will be a problem.

Duke Robinson is a great choice for #33. My preference there too.

I think you get a solid, block eating DT in Raji's teammate, Ron Brace two rounds later at #65. They both go roughly 330 lbs, IIRC. This opens up the #20 pick. You can get a solid LT, or whatever you prefer here. I'm pretty open to the possibilities with this pick. I'm sold on Curry, Robinson, and Brace though. If Brace played another year without Raji, we'd be talking about him in the top 20 IMO. For now though, he's a steal in the 3rd.

Quote:
We couldn't trade down very far and still get Curry. 2 or 3 spots at most. That would be a good move if we get one more 3rd rounder or something similar IMO.

-ILMP

January 22nd, 2009, 10:51 pm
Team MVP

I love it.

January 22nd, 2009, 11:00 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

IDEAL scenario with what we currently know about players (most of this from ILMP that I agree with):

#1: Say we are drafting Stafford. Guage the interest of KC or Seattle at 3 or 4 and if 1 wants a QB but doesnt want Sanchez as a perceived Reach -> Trade to 3 or 4 for a 3rd Rounder(or 2nd/Multiple for next year). Take Curry at that spot.

#20: Draft BPA in order at OT(Oher,J.Smith,?)/CB(V.Davis,Jenkins[pipedream]) DT(Raji)/C(alex mack could work his way to 20).

I would not be dissapointed to Draft Raji here if he makes it this far... just wouldn't trade up to get him. If they slipped I also could see drafting: Knowshon Moreno(Speed to Kevin's tough yards),Brian Orakpo,Brandon Pettigrew

#33: Duke Robinson/BPA at C/G/OT(if a 1st rounder slipped)

#65: Ron Brace or Assuming Raji at 20 or Brace gone take BPA at CB/DT/G(if none yet)/S/TE

#69(Gained in Trade from #1 to #4): BPA at DT/CB/G/S/TE

InterimLionsMasterPimp wrote:
Curry is the LB at #1, not Maualuga. Curry has the complete game, is roughly the same size as Rey, and is faster to boot. Maualuga is only good against the run between the tackles. Misdirection runs and pass plays will be a problem.

Duke Robinson is a great choice for #33. My preference there too.

I think you get a solid, block eating DT in Raji's teammate, Ron Brace two rounds later at #65. They both go roughly 330 lbs, IIRC. This opens up the #20 pick. You can get a solid LT, or whatever you prefer here. I'm pretty open to the possibilities with this pick. I'm sold on Curry, Robinson, and Brace though. If Brace played another year without Raji, we'd be talking about him in the top 20 IMO. For now though, he's a steal in the 3rd.

Quote:
We couldn't trade down very far and still get Curry. 2 or 3 spots at most. That would be a good move if we get one more 3rd rounder or something similar IMO.

-ILMP

January 23rd, 2009, 5:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

:lol:

January 23rd, 2009, 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next