View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Senior Bowl 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Senior Bowl
I think a few players made a huge mistake by opting out of the Senior Bowl and in doing so gave some other players a chance to improve their stock. The guys that I was most shocked by were Laurinaitis, Michael Johnson, Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith, Javon Ringer, and Brian Orakpo. A few of the beneficiaries are Tim Jamison Kory Sheets, and Lawrence Sidbury. From the rosters it looks like mostly an O-line and defensive showing with not a whole lot going on with the offensive skill players. There are a few playmakers but not a lot of flash especially from the QB position.

The players I'm looking forward to seeing on offense in no particular order are Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, Kory Sheets, Brian Robiskie, Derrick Williams, Brandon Pettigrew, Herman Johnson, Alex Mack, Michael Oher, and Jason Watkins. On defense Larry English, Lawrence Sidbury, Tim Jamison, Evander Hood, Marcus Freeman, Nic Harris (playing LB), Tyrone McKenzie, Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews, Darius Butler, Louis Delmas, Alphonso Smith, William Moore, and Sherrod Martin.

January 20th, 2009, 7:26 pm
RIP Killer

JL I think made a bad decision not to show, that is as long as he felt he could have came in and played well. He really needs to show if he can shine with elite talent because he just plain hasn't shown up in recent years in big games and dominated. He needed to show that.

January 20th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

JL I think made a bad decision not to show, that is as long as he felt he could have came in and played well. He really needs to show if he can shine with elite talent because he just plain hasn't shown up in recent years in big games and dominated. He needed to show that.

He can't show that. So, he avoids it. Just say no to JL. Even in the 2nd round. If he is still there with our second 3rd round pick, then take him.

January 20th, 2009, 11:41 pm
QB Coach

Raji is apparently looking great at the Sr. Bowl. Any chance he's around at #20 and if he is do we take him?

January 22nd, 2009, 2:39 am
NFL Veteran

I give you a lot of respect steensn for calling JL like he is and not letting the homerism in you get in the way. We all have that softspot for home team players sometimes. But JL was not impressive this year in the few games I watched him.

I've been hearing great things about Raji in the Sr. Bowl. Maualuga's stock is taking a hit. And then I try to think of how the USC effect makes a lot of players look better than they are, like Shaun Cody, Kenichi Udeze, Mike Williams, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart etc...

Once in a while a Polomalu comes out and I hope Rey has some of that in him. I do think Sean Mays will probably be the real deal. And am willing to start the Mays in 2010 bandwagon now.

January 22nd, 2009, 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

It's been a while since I posted. When it comes to the Lions, the draft is always more fun than the actual season :wink:

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Raji is apparently looking great at the Sr. Bowl. Any chance he's around at #20 and if he is do we take him?

From what I've heard, and little I've seen, Raji is looking like the best prospect overall at the senior bowl. I see no reason why he should fall out of the top 15. No trade up, no Raji. Peria Jerry seems more realistic.

Another guy that has stood out to me is Coye Francies from San Jose State. He sticks on the receivers like glue. Might be available in the 3rd round.

January 22nd, 2009, 7:09 am
Stadium Announcer

Mualuaga only had one iffy day. He has looked alright overall. Tyrone Green Has looked great. Darius Butler and Macho Harris are the best looking corners so far.

January 22nd, 2009, 8:45 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Mualuaga only had one iffy day. He has looked alright overall. Tyrone Green Has looked great. Darius Butler and Macho Harris are the best looking corners so far.

Pat Kirwan has mentioned that a few scouts have told him that Mualuaga will be a 2 down player in the NFL. That means on 3rd and 4th downs, He's on the bench.

January 23rd, 2009, 5:21 pm
Stadium Announcer

Pat Kirwan is worse than Kiper when it comes to the draft...LMAO never ever base anything on what HE says.....

You cant take a Broad statement like that as anything really. Depending on the defense certain players are able to play because the defense protects their weaknesses...I will tweak my coverage on defense on 3rd down around Mualuaga given what the other things he can do on 3rd down like protect screens,Draws....and Blitzing(It will be nice to have some creative blitz packages)

January 23rd, 2009, 11:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pat Kirwan is worse than Kiper when it comes to the draft...LMAO never ever base anything on what HE says.....

You cant take a Broad statement like that as anything really. Depending on the defense certain players are able to play because the defense protects their weaknesses...I will tweak my coverage on defense on 3rd down around Mualuaga given what the other things he can do on 3rd down like protect screens,Draws....and Blitzing(It will be nice to have some creative blitz packages)

Your the only one I know of that has that opinion of Kirwan.

January 24th, 2009, 12:57 am
NFL Veteran

FootballWiz wrote:

Your the only one I know of that has that opinion of Kirwan.

Haha, yeah. I think Kirwan is a football god reincarnated as nfl analyst.

January 24th, 2009, 1:01 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

No. Name Position School
1 Brooks Foster WR North Carolina
1 Darius Butler DB Connecticut
2 Derrick Williams WR Penn State
4 Brandon Gibson WR Washington St.
4 Macho Harris DB Virginia Tech
5 Nic Harris LB Oklahoma
6 DeAngelo Smith DB Cincinnati
6 Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech
7 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston St.
9 Juaquin Iglesias WR Oklahoma
10 Nathan Brown QB Central Arkansas
11 Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly
11 William Moore DB Missouri
15 Patrick Chung DB Oregon
16 Keenan Lewis DB Oregon State
21 Mike Mickens DB Cincinnati
23 Kory Sheets RB Purdue
24 Jeremiah Johnson RB Oregon
25 Louis Delmas DB Western Michigan
27 David Bruton DB Notre Dame
35 Louie Sakoda K Utah
36 Eric Kettani RB Navy
37 Cedric Peerman RB Virginia
40 Scott McKillop LB Pittsburgh
43 Tony Fiammetta RB Syracuse
47 Kevin Huber P Cincinnati
50 Clint Sintim LB Virginia
51 Alex Mack OL California
51 Larry English DL Northern Illinois
52 Cody Brown DL Connecticut
54 Tyrone McKenzie LB USF
55 Marcus Freeman LB Ohio St.
56 Zack Follett LB California
57 Mark Estermyer DS Pittsburgh
60 Max Unger OL Oregon
63 Kraig Urbik OL Wisconsin
64 William Beatty OL Connecticut
66 Andy Levitre OL Oregon State
68 Xavier Fulton OL Illinois
72 Ryan Shuman OL Virginia Tech
76 Trevor Canfield OL Cincinnati
79 Phil Loadholt OL Oklahoma
80 Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State
81 Will Davis DL Illinois
82 Connor Barwin TE Cincinnati
85 John Phillips TE Virginia
87 Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.
90 B.J. Raji DL Boston College
91 Tim Jamison DL Michigan
92 Ron Brace DL Boston College
94 Ziggy Hood DL Missouri
97 Mitch King DL Iowa

South Squad
No. Name Position School
1 Coye Francies DB San Jose State
1 Mohamed Massaquoi WR Georgia
2 Alphonso Smith DB Wake Forest
2 Mike Thomas WR Arizona
3 Derek Pegues DB Mississippi St.
4 Ellis Lankster DB West Virginia
5 Pat White QB West Virginia
6 Sherrod Martin DB Troy
6 Quan Cosby WR Texas
7 Patrick Turner WR USC
9 Chip Vaughn DB Wake Forest
9 Mike Wallace WR Ole Miss
10 Cullen Harper QB Clemson
10 Brian Cushing LB USC
11 Ashlee Palmer LB Ole Miss
11 Kenny McKinley WR South Carolina
14 John Parker WilsonQB Alabama
15 Thomas Morstead P SMU
16 Domonique Johnson DB Jackson State
22 James Davis RB Clemson
23 Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
24 Andre Brown RB NC State
25 Michael Hamlin DB Clemson
27 Arian Foster RB Tennessee
40 Patrick McAfee K West Virginia
45 Quinn Johnson RB LSU
47 Clay Matthews LB USC
48 Darry Beckwith LB LSU
49 Rashad Johnson DB Alabama
57 Jake Ingram DS Hawaii
58 Rey Maualuga LB USC
59 Moise Fokou LB Maryland
59 Antoine Caldwell OL Alabama
60 Eric Wood OL Louisville
63 Jonathan Luigs OL Arkansas
71 Tyronne Green OL Auburn
74 Michael Oher OL Ole Miss
75 Anthony Parker OL Tennessee
75 Fili Moala DL USC
76 Troy Kropog OL Tulane
77 Jason Watkins OL Florida
79 Herman Johnson OL LSU
81 Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss
83 Travis McCall TE Alabama
84 Kyle Moore DL USC
85 Anthony Hill TE NC State
90 Corvey Irvin DL Georgia
91 Robert Ayers DL Tennessee
92 David Veikune DL Hawaii
95 Lawrence Sidbury DL Richmond
98 Peria Jerry DL Ole Miss
99 Vance Walker DL Georgia Tech

Looking forward to seeing possible first round picks
BJ Raji
Rey Maualuga
Brian Cushing
Michael Oher
Peria Jerry
Alphonso Smith
Clint Sintim

Also interested in seeing
Larry English DE - Looked unstoppable in practice
Max Unger Can he redeem himself in the game?
Alex Mack Over took unger in practice
William Moore S Top safety
Ron Brace DT Does he have potential to be more than another Langston Moore.

From my experience keep an eye on
David Veikune - You know when you first see a player and you just know that he's got it right away? He had that quality. Non stop motor, wonderfully aggressive, great instincts and extremely explosive. I'd like to see how he does against the top seniors. Let me put it this way. If you put David Veikune's brain and heart into Ikaika Alama Francis body, that's a top DE on the order of a Mario Williams.

January 24th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Ron Brace DT Does he have potential to be more than another Langston Moore.

Langston Moore doesn't have the girth to be in this conversation. Moore is 6'1'' and 305.

Ron Brace goes 6'3'' and 329. He would be a load in the center, although I've seen his build described as 'sloppy'. His height is more ideal than Raji , who is considered a bit short.

I like him with 3a, but am questioning whether he'll go that low. I saw him projected as round 3-4, now I see 2-3.

Quote:
Another guy that has stood out to me is Coye Francies from San Jose State. He sticks on the receivers like glue. Might be available in the 3rd round.

I am curious about this too. I want us to pick up a CB, and Jenkins won't go high enough or low enough to be our first rounder.

-ILMP

January 24th, 2009, 8:37 pm
National Champion

Recovering from wisdom teeth removal tonight, I watched the Senior Bowl, and here are my observations in case anyone is interested:

Believe the line on the Senior quarterbacks: they are all truly awful. Wilson is too short and has so-so accuracy and so-so arm strength. Rhett Bomar has a good arm, but his accuracy and release are very poor. Same with Cullen Harper. There was some hype about Graham Harrell being one of those game manager types who makes up for less than ideal arm strength with tremendous smarts and arm strength. Harrell did not look like an NFL quarterback: he had trouble with throws over nine yards. Nathan Brown had some good throws, but the rest of the time looked lost. He had a lot of what I call WTF? throws where they just go nowhere. Pat White was the best of the bunch, but he looked good doing a lot of QB draw/play action out of shotgun, the kind of stuff that happens in the NFL sometimes, but can't really be your bread and butter. He had one really good throw, but I think he ended up completing less than half of his passes. I think his performance will get blown up as better than it actually was from the perspective of projecting him to the pro's. After watching this game, I would be very surprised if we had a Marc Bulger/Tom Brady/Matt Hasselbeck "diamond in the rough" in the later rounds in this draft.

What's worse is that all of these QB's looked awful despite great offensive line play. The game would have been 62-56 if Sanchez or Stafford was in this game. The offensive lines for both teams were extremely impressive considering that they have been playing together for a mere week. The interior lines especially looked good. Alex Mack, Mack Unger, and Eric Wood were absolute monsters. B.J. Raji disappeared in this game and that's all you need to know about how Eric Wood played. Every time I checked out Alex Mack, he was pushing his guy three yards down field. Herman Johnson (biggest baby in Louisiana history) and Tyrone Green also looked good. A lot of these linemen are versatile too. Levitre was meh. This would be a great year to find a replacement for Raiola if the chips fall right. At tackle, Watkins out of Florida and Beatty from Connecticut looked good.

I can tell why Oher is a first round pick, but let's be clear that he is not a #1 overall. He looks good in a pair of pads, but sometimes he just randomly starts playing with bad technique and he gets beaten. When you watch a guy like Joe Thomas or Jake Long, you see them get out of their stance the same way each time, and you can tell they know where they're going with their hands. Oher kind of looks like he's making it up as he goes along. He did not play badly overall, but I would expect him to dominate against a bunch of low second and third round picks. He could be the next Orlando Pace if he gets it all together, but if he hasn't figured out how to play football by now, when will he? The guy has a rare combination of power and agility, though.

The only defensive linemen who looked good were Larry English and Robert Ayers. Ayers had almost as many sacks in the game as he did in the whole last season! English has some mad speed. I like him a lot, especially in a 3-4. Perry disappeared for the whole game except for the beginning of the second half where he made two great plays and then disappeared again. B.J. Raji was getting a lot of hype for great practices but he didn't show up in the game. They were talking about him as a possible top 10/top 15 pick. I don't know if this was enough to drop him to our pick at number 20.

None of the linebackers impressed me much. I watched a lot of Rey Maualuga early on becuase he had been mentioned a lot as a first round pick. I admit that my attention wandered from him because he was not doing much. It could have been that the offense was scheming away from him. He had a nice play on a forced fumble, and he had another breaking up a screen, but he also had a bad missed tackle. I would have liked to have seen him be involved in the play more. The Lions have a lot of guys who just seem to disappear. Brian Cushing was in the play a bunch of times but he usually missed the tackle, which was disappointing. Beckwith made a nice hit, but I saw him take a bad angle on a big run. Again, most of the running plays either were stopped at the line or they went into the secondary, so I didn't get to see much of the linebackers.

The North was clearly avoiding Alphonso Smith because I only really noticed him on two plays. He had a nice play where he jumped the route with great instincts and if he had held on to the ball, it would have been an interception for a touchdown. On another play, he was isolated on the outside and he almost saved a two point conversion by shedding a block and making the tackle. The guy had a boat load of interceptions in college, and he is somebody I think is worth conideration late 1st/early 2nd for a team with as few interceptions as the Lions. Coye Franceis looked very good with some sick coverage on a clutch 4th and 9 play. DeAngelo Smith did not look good. Ellis Lankster got a lot of work because the North was avoiding Alphonso Smith, and was inconsistent. He had a nice interception on a weak-armed Graham Harrell pass, but he missed some tackles and had some passes completed on him. D.J. Moore was injured early, I believe.

So those were my observations, and I hope that it was somewhat interesting to read. I was watching it on a live feed so sometimes it got a little choppy, especially at the end. It is hard to follow a whole bunch of players at once, so some of my observations may be based on just a couple of plays. I tried to focus on Lions needs positions, which, of course, meant that I was scouting every player except for the kickers :arrow: :idea: :lol: .

January 25th, 2009, 1:57 am
NFL Veteran

My thoughts on watching the game. Didn't realize it was on NFL Network so I guess not everyone could see it.

Best looking quarterback was Pat White. He totally pulled off the pocket passer role. Had the nicest throws and trusted his line.

Guys I picked to watch.
BJ Raji - Don't be mislead. He was huge doing exactly what was expected. The South Squad completely gameplanned for him as he always had a double team and occasionally had a triple team. Because of that Larry English had a field day blowing by a single blocker.

Rey Maualuga - Started slow, but as he settled, showed great instincts forcing a fumble and showed the ability to read the defense... something that he has been criticized for. Nice to see Rey being Rey once he got into the game. This guy will definitely produce at the next level.

Brian Cushing - Didn't jump out, but he showed good technique when the ball came his way. Not a guy who navigated to the play though.

Michael Oher - I love his tools and am hoping that scouts keep nitpicking. I would absolutely love for him to fall at the 20 pick. Remember this is a guy who hasn't been playing football for too long. He's light on his feet and unmovable once he gets the upper hand.

Peria Jerry - Had a couple of nice plays, but didn't jump out.

Alphonso Smith - Showed good cover skills blanketing his man.

Clint Sintim - I absolutely do not remember him.

Also interested in seeing
Larry English DE - Took advantage of the double and triple teams that Raji forced and showed consistent pressure on the QB.
Max Unger & Alex Mack, both were solid, but Wood jumped out as more impressive.
William Moore S Didn't realize he was injured this year. Played like it.
Ron Brace - Didn't jump out at me, except for one play where he pursued a ball carrier and did not give up on the play.

David Veikune - Was shut down in the first half, but in the second half, was a feisty end that made nice plays. Showed good instincts recovering a fumble, and on two occasions I was very impressed how he stood up the bull rush and the offensive line could not get any push. One of them was on the goal line where he stood up the running back on a nice goal line stand.

January 25th, 2009, 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next