View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mel Kiper's 2009 NFL Mock Draft 
Walk On

I still feel Mel is responible for us picking BMW back in 05. Your a tool bub. :evil:

The bit I watched of the senior bowl showed me there is truly a lot of depth at the tackle position. Some D-lineman look to have some good potential as well.

Can't wait to see all the top-tier players at either there pro-days or the combine. :D

January 22nd, 2009, 10:58 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

mwill2 wrote:
njroar wrote:
me neither. I actually pay more attention to Maylock from NFL network.

He think Cushing is the best of the bunch of USC players, followed closely by Clay Matthews Jr, who will probably be a steal in late 2nd, or 3rd round. He's also high on Curry.

If Maualuga is around at 20, I'd be suprised.

I've watched a handful of the Sr. Bowl practices on NFL Network and I'm more impressed with Cushing and Matthews than Maualuga at the moment.

On Aaron Curry, Mayock said, "I can't find a hole in his game." That is some seriously high praise.

I thought Aaron Curry wasn't in the Senior Bowl.

Sorry, that was confusing. Mayock made the comment about Curry in a different broadcast, before the Senior Bowl.

January 23rd, 2009, 12:34 am
Team MVP

If- BIG if- it played out like this I would take Aaron Curry #1. Don't care for either QB, Smith is too expensive vs. Oher. Don't need Crabtree.

Smith isn't worth it if Oher is at #20. So Oher with #20.

Top guard in Duke Robinson at #33.

Boston College DT Ron Brace at #65

The rest is too expansive to project. Most or all D, w/ possible KR.

Dump all QBs but Orlovsky and Stanton, bring in one FA. Fill holes in FA and call it a wrap. 8 wins- EASY. Mmmm. Honolulu Blue Raspberry Kool-Aid good.

Forget Maualuga. Guy is one dimensional. Hits hard, but reportedly overpursues and is poor in man coverage.

-ILMP

I wouldnt mind that at all, but ONLY if Curry is as good as theyre making him sound.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 24th, 2009, 2:25 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Mel Kiper's 2009 NFL Mock Draft
Mel Kiper's first round
January 21. 2008

Pick Team Player Position College
1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
I'd be mad if this were the pick. I agree the Lions need to address the QB position, but it doesn't have to be with their first pick. Stafford does not have what it takes to lead a team in the next two years, and possibly never will. Million dollar arm with a ten dollar brain. Either take an OT, or take defense. Don't reach for a QB when their are bigger issues afoot.
2 St. Louis Andre Smith OT Alabama
I don't think Smith will be the first OT off the board. Too much question regarding his ability to control his weight. I see Aaron Gibson in him.
3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC
Too high of a pick, and Pioli knows that a late round QB can be developed with the right talent around him. KC needs defense, look for either Malcolm Jenkins or Aaron Curry here.
4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
First good pick for The Hair Helmet
5 Cleveland Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
Cleveland will likely have their shot at Malcolm Jenkins here.
6 Cincinnati Jason Smith OT Baylor
Very high to take a guy who was a TE a couple years ago. I love his athletic ability, but ask SF how Joe Staley is working out for them. And he was taken much further back in round one. Smith reminds me of Staley in some regards, but Jason is further along in his development at this stage. Still, quite a reach.
7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
Pass on offensive line help? With Al Davis, that's a very strong possibility. Still, an OT would be a better fit here.
8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
If he's here, very good pick
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.
Green Bay should be so lucky. He'll be long gone by this pick.
10 San Francisco Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.
11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.
Pettigrew is good, but not this good. Buffalo could use help in a number of other areas where solid players are still available.
12 Denver B.J. Raji DT Boston College
13 Washington Brian Orakpo DE Texas
14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15 Houston Everette Brown DE Florida St.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
Yet another in depth look at the stupidity of Mel "Brooks" Kiper. SD has LT, Sproles and Hester. Why another RB for them here, when they could use help elsewhere? Maualuga is the more likely pick, or Tyson Jackson as a solid fit at DE in their 3-4.
17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU
If he's available, why take him? Chicago needs interior line help, and Peria Jerry is on the board for them to take.
19 Tampa Bay Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.
20 Detroit (from Dallas) Rey Maualuga LB USC
21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.
22 Minnesota Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC
I can't see the Pats passing on Laurinaitis to take an injury prone Cushing to use on the inside. Just can't envision it.
24 Atlanta Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois
25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland
26 Baltimore D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
27 Indianapolis Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi
How does he fall this far? Inconsistency? Perhaps. But many feel he is the most polished lineman in the draft. I think he goes much higher than this.
29 New York Giants James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.
30 Tennessee Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
31 Arizona LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
32 Pittsburgh Alex Mack C California[/i]

January 26th, 2009, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Mel Kiper's 2009 NFL Mock Draft
m2karateman wrote:
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
Yet another in depth look at the stupidity of Mel "Brooks" Kiper. SD has LT, Sproles and Hester. Why another RB for them here, when they could use help elsewhere? Maualuga is the more likely pick, or Tyson Jackson as a solid fit at DE in their 3-4.

I agree with most of your comments Mike, however LT is showing signs of slowing down and Sproles is a UFA. Having said that, I also can't see the Chargers spending a first round pick on a RB for a need that can easily be addressed in FA or later in the draft. Only Mel Kiper and Matt Millen would select a RB for SD in the first-round.

January 26th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Here's one reason why Mel Kiper believes Matt Stafford will be the Lions' No. 1 pick
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Thursday January 29, 2009, 9:18 AM
ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper has the Detroit Lions selecting Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick and he's been pretty rigid about that belief for awhile now. It's not out of the question -- Stafford is highly rated and the Lions could use a quarterback.

Personally, I don't think it's going to be Stafford. I think the Lions are going to hit the defensive side of the ball very hard and then possibly consider a quarterback in the third round or later. But then I heard something on the radio that made me wonder about Kiper's motivations for making Stafford the No. 1 pick.

During an ESPN radio gig, Kiper was talking about Stafford and how he's been aware of him since he was in high school. Some of you might have been aware of this already, but then I heard Kiper say that he predicted at that time -- when Stafford was in high school -- that he would one day be the No. 1 overall pick of the NFL draft.

So why would Kiper, at this stage of the game, drop Stafford to third or eighth in the draft order -- like other analysts have -- when he can reasonably keep him at No. 1? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not running down Kiper. There is so much that is unknown about the college prospects that the mock drafts will change dramatically in the coming months. Who knows what might happen after the results from the combine and the pro days are known, evaluated and processed? Stafford might fall to the bottom of the first round -- or he might make a stronger case for being the No. 1 pick. So, while all of that is sorted out, Kiper is keeping Stafford at No. 1. If you've spent four years sticking to your prediction, there's no reason to get cold feet now.

The day might come when Kiper has to reluctantly drop Stafford from that top spot, but he's not going to remove him yet -- and I don't blame him.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... kiper.html

January 29th, 2009, 11:39 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Now that makes sense why Kiper has him #1.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 29th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Now that makes sense why Kiper has him #1.

Kiper is a tool and as soon as I read this article I thought the same thing.

January 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Actually I don't believe Kiper has ever had Stafford rated #1 on his draft board. Right now he has him #4 behind Crabtree, Curry and Smith.

Kiper does have him going #1 to the Lions probably for the same reason 8 of the last 11 teams have drafted a QB #1 overall. Without a consensus #1 pick to choose QB has the most value.

January 31st, 2009, 6:36 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't get the hate for Kiper... None of these guys are ever really on the ball when it comes to these mock drafts... There is no way to... If you took all the mock drafts, from everyone that does them, their correct predictions are going to be about 25%... Maybe one has a little higher % than another, but they are all generally in that neighborhood...

I like Kiper cause he doesn't try and be flashy and he uses common sense when he does his stuff... The other guys all seem to try too hard to find flashy picks... Like Sanchez over Stafford... He is just doing it IMO to be different...

Lions fans have latched on to the BMW prediction and clung to it... Let it go already..

January 31st, 2009, 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2