View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions, scouts pouring over draft data 
#1 Overall Pick

CMWSR, thanks for posting. A very interesting read. It makes it apparent that WCF is getting hit in his ridiculously large wallet.

Quote:
Rishe said normally the money from the national television contract (approximately $115 million a year per team under the deals that expire in 2011) was enough to cover the costs of running a franchise.

I'm going to have to dispute the accuracy of this statement, though. Several teams have player salaries alone that exceed 115 million dollars. Add to that the cost of the stadium, coaches, and all related staff, and I'm certain 115 million dollars falls far short. But then you add in the revenue from ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, etc... and a team should be able to at least break even. Given the magnitude of the suckage and lack of attendance, I'm sure we lost quite a boatload of money in '08.

It makes me wonder if the changes made were mostly financially motivated. I also wonder if there is going to be pressure to pick certain players or positions to help sell tickets in '09. I believe you have to spend money to make money. We should spend the money on quality players and fill out the cap space somewhat. It costs money to bring in winning talent. I just wonder if Ford will be willing to invest MORE money into a franchise that is already losing.

-ILMP

Quote:
Two years ago, the Lions lost $3.1 million

Quote:
The team also lost $1.8 million in 2006

Quote:
When Millen took over after the 2000 season, Forbes estimates the club was worth $328 million. Eight seasons and 97 losses later, it's $917 million.

Even IF the Lions had lost $3 million EACH year since 2000........which they didn't.........they would have a TOTAL loss of $24 million from operating income.

However........when you consider that the VALUE of the franchise increased by $589 million......then WCF is STILL $565 million ahead of where he was before Millen ran the ship aground.

That is an AVERAGE GAIN of $70.6 million PER YEAR!!!

I realize that he could EASILY make more money if he produces a quality product........but he still is becoming WEALTHIER every year because the NFL is succeeded, and therefore ALL of the franchises in the NFL are increasing in VALUE.

January 25th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Walk On

But if I understand this right, it's like if I lived in a home with a lifestyle that exceeds my income. Let's say I made 100K per year and between my house payment, food, expenses I end up spending 105k per year. My home value triples at the same time so instead of being worth 200K, it's now worth 600K. I'm still losing 5K per year and either cutting into my savings or going into debt. The value of my assets and holdings is increasing overall, but my bank account is shrinking.

The value of the franchise is going up, but WCF is still losing money every year due to the cost of his day to day operation vs. revenue. The only way to ever see that $589 million is to sell the team, which seems will never happen. Until he sells, that money is only on paper and he has a couple million dollar per year liability in the mean time.

Now, I realize he isn't going on welfare anytime soon, but losing a couple million dollars per year can't feel good. It must at least hurt his pride.

-ILMP

January 25th, 2009, 10:43 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not going to quote all the articles on this thread, but here's a few things to think about:

1. Joey Harrington-it has been well documented that the pick made was forced by WCF, something that neither Millen nor Morningwheg wanted. Millen was said to be high on Quentin Jammer, and Marty was leaning toward the Jammer pick as well. We should all know that Millen followed orders and told the staff that Harrington would be their pick. Marty was not happy, and neither were the coaches. But they all have their checks signed by the same senile old fool Millen did. Sad part is, he's still signing the checks of the staff this year.

2. Charles Rogers-many won't admit it, but there were quite a few people very HIGH on this guy. I posted on another board at the time of this draft, and I was constantly barraged with remarks because I said Andre Johnson was the better pick for the Lions. And not just by Spartan fans, this was by people all over the country. He had question marks. He showed inconsistency in college, and I didn't like his skinny build.

3. Mike Williams-Hated the pick, and this was ALL Millen. Remember, that after the 'skins took Carlos Rogers the Lions made their pick within two minutes of that announcement. No one will EVER convince me they fielded phone calls about trading that pick. No one will EVER convince me that Millen didn't make that call. Many wanted Derrick Johnson. I was begging for Shawne Merriman.

4. Ernie Sims-after a promising rookie campaign, he has sort of fallen off radar. Is this because of the system he was in? Poor coaching? Poor defensive scheme? Or did he peak in his first year? Tough to tell. Personally, I was hoping the Lions would take Jay Cutler. And it pissed me off when I found out that the Broncos were trying to trade up to the Lions pick, and the Lions passed. The Lions would have ended up with the fifteenth pick, and if Sims were gone, they still could have had anyone of about five very solid players, including Chad Greenway, who after his rookie season injury has played really well. Denver was offering their third round pick to swap spots.

5. Calvin Johnson-I am not going to question the pick, but I am going to ask why the Lions backed out of a deal they had in place with Denver. Denver wanted Johnson BAAAAAADDDDD! They were said to be offering 6 picks in exchange: Their first, second and fourth from 2007, their first, fourth and seventh in 2008. That's a bunch of picks to pass on just for one player. Denver had the 21st pick in 2007 in the first round. Here's the kicker...at 21st overall the Lions could have taken Dwayne Bowe, who had a much better rookie season than CJ. He backed that up this year with a 1000 yard receiving season and seven TDs, all with a question mark at quarterback in KC all season long (just like here). No doubt that CJ is the bigger impact receiver, but Bowie and five more picks would be a much better option. Sadder still? The Lions would have had the 12th and 15th picks in the 2008 draft. Imagine the possibilities.

January 26th, 2009, 1:38 pm
NFL Veteran

Do you have sources for these trade proposals? I'm interested in seeing their legitimacy.

Even if they are true, it's still a paradox wrapped in a conundrum. They'd have more picks for sure... more picks for Matt Millen to screw up.

January 26th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Denver offered two firsts, a second, two thirds and Al Wilson for #2 overall in 2007.

Quote:
A month earlier Denver had offered two first-round picks, a second-rounder and two third-rounders, plus veteran linebacker Al Wilson, but when the Broncos wouldn't substitute another second-round pick for the injured Wilson, Millen turned them down. With that, the bar was set high.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

January 26th, 2009, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

January 26th, 2009, 5:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

5 was actually a smart call by Millen.

By what logic. The 2ns Proposal is better thn the 1st.

2 Firsts vs 2 Firsts = Equal
Second 07 vs Second 07 = Equal
Third 07 vs Fourth 07
Seoncd 08 vs Fourth and Seventh 08

January 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

steensn wrote:
5 was actually a smart call by Millen.

By what logic. The 2ns Proposal is better thn the 1st.

2 Firsts vs 2 Firsts = Equal
Second 07 vs Second 07 = Equal
Third 07 vs Fourth 07
Seoncd 08 vs Fourth and Seventh 08

I agree with steensn about CJ because Millen would have just messed those draft picks up anyways. If we had any other gm on the planet at the time, I would disagree, lol.

January 26th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree with steensn about CJ because Millen would have just messed those draft picks up anyways. If we had any other gm on the planet at the time, I would disagree, lol.

Fair enough answer. By trade value , Eithe is great and both should have been made. Considering your statement however, it is good that we did not.

January 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2