View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 A couple of monster Guards 
NFL Veteran

Post A couple of monster Guards
I would love to have either of these two.

Oklahoma Guard Duke Robinson
6'-5' 335 lb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3qy7xxeVHA
Powerful guard with nasty streak. Shows excellent skills in all facets, pulling, pass protection, road grading, getting a push on the line.

LSU Guard Herman Johnson
6'-7" 386 lb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTUhkbcxiHg
Massive guard who can erase a defender once he locks on.

January 26th, 2009, 4:56 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

What picks do you think these guys will be around for?

It would be a real hoot to get both of them. Riola would look like the 12 year old that he acts like. :lol:

January 26th, 2009, 9:54 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It'd be sweet to address the D with our #1 overall.. and hopefully get one of those 2 guards with our 2nd 1st rounder.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 26th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Herman Johnson is slow and displays bad feet. If you want a big OG go with Urbik with our first 3rd rounder. He is 6-6 323 pounds and is a pretty good athlete with sound technique. Duke isn't bad but has allot of hype around him and he may go higher then he is worth.

January 26th, 2009, 1:09 pm
QB Coach

If Duke is around at 33 I'd look at him. I've heard a lot of negatives about Herman Johnson in the past few weeks. I think I'd pass on him.

January 26th, 2009, 2:45 pm
RIP Killer

If Duke is around at 33 I'd look at him. I've heard a lot of negatives about Herman Johnson in the past few weeks. I think I'd pass on him.

I remember them saying in the Nat'l Championship a few years back that Herman Johnson holds the record for biggest baby ever born in Louisiana - 15 lbs, 14 oz - ouch!

January 26th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I would take a chance on Duke Robinson with our 2nd rounder and if Herman Johnson slips to our first 3rd rounder I'd pounce on him (highly unlikely but possible because he is supposed slipping the last few weeks). It would be a serious upgrade to the O-line, and the cost would be acceptable (not paying too much money for guards).

I wouldn't mind doing this because I'd be drafting defense for the first two picks anyways... but hey, that's just me.

January 26th, 2009, 5:38 pm
Stadium Announcer

Because of the fact that you can get a good guard in the 3rd round this year...we are in position to draft a QB of the future and two starters on defense before going after a guard.

If we take Duke at 33 there wont be as good of a value CB/LB around in the 3rd as if we went say.......Alphonso Smith at 33 and Urbik or Green or Wood in the 3rd

See what i mean??

January 26th, 2009, 6:22 pm
National Champion

Because of the fact that you can get a good guard in the 3rd round this year...we are in position to draft a QB of the future and two starters on defense before going after a guard.

If we take Duke at 33 there wont be as good of a value CB/LB around in the 3rd as if we went say.......Alphonso Smith at 33 and Urbik or Green or Wood in the 3rd

See what i mean??

Only problem there is (in my opinion) there are no QB's worthy of that choice.

This years draft looks like a year 2000 draft to me, with little to no QB talent. We should just get a veteran via FA imho.

January 26th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I've heard Herman Johnson had a terrible week at the Senior Bowl. He's almost too big to play G and is too slow to play T. I wouldn't touch him.

January 26th, 2009, 9:35 pm
Heisman Winner

No thanks on Herman, guys who are just too big or too small rarely pan out. Maybe if you get him late, say rd 5, but not top 3 rds

January 26th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Walk On

6'-7" 386 lb

I have him at 6'8'' and he officially weighed in at a svelte 382 pounds. Changes everything doesn't it??? j/k.

His senior bowl performance is the result of being played out of position at RT. He doesn't have the footwork and lateral movement to play tackle. He is still a mammoth at Guard. Quotes from NFL Draft Scout:

Quote:
Senior Bowl Practice Disappointments: OL Herman Johnson, LSU: Teams are well aware of what he has done at guard, so they gave him a chance to prove himself this week at RT. "Big Herm" (he officially weighed 382 pounds) really struggled with his lateral quickness and footwork on the edge. He'll likely stay inside, which isn't necessarily a bad thing except for the financial ceiling being greater for perimeter blockers. -Chad Reuter

and:

Quote:
Five players who hurt their stock Wednesday: Herman Johnson, OL, LSU: To be fair, Johnson has played at RT all week instead of his usual inside position. Scouts wanted to see him operate outside - the results have not been pleasant. His lateral movement and foot speed are severely limited, allowing players to get the edge too easily. His inability to handle the tackle spot may cost him some money come draft day. -Chad Reuter

and:

Quote:
LSU guard Herman Johnson was moved outside to RT at times. He played well there, though was often attacked in pass protection. He did show the pop at the line of scrimmage as a run blocker and showed his surprising quickness to the second level, providing an imposing figure. Linebackers and safeties were able to move around him, but by the time they were able to do so, the backs were safely downfield. -Rob Rang

Johnsons poor performance at tackle hurts his draft position and would save us some money. For the Lions, this is a good thing. We don't want him to play RT anyway, we have Cherilus for that. The bolded parts are the most relevant parts for his actual position of guard. Footwork and lateral movement are much less important when he is covered up on both sides anyway. There is no 'speed rush' around the edge at guard, and I'd like to see anybody bull rush this giant Ogre pretending to be man. His ability to run block will be a huge benefit that outweighs any of his negatives.

I reiterate, his negatives at Senior Bowl are only a big deal if he plays tackle, which he won't.

HB, I like where your head is at. Our guards are weaksauce, and my favorite draft scenario has been one where we pick up these two guys. I am open to the possibility of Urbik as well.

The reality is, given the picks where these two will be taken, they will likely both cost less (put together) than the top LT. My argument is that the two guards are much more valuable overall. They offer much improvement for our run game and also can maintain an actual pocket for the QB to throw from.

-ILMP

January 26th, 2009, 10:51 pm
National Champion

I couldn't agree more. This information just makes me want him as my guard that much more. We'll get him with less of a reach and pay him less as a result.

January 27th, 2009, 7:47 am
Peewee Leaguer

There is no 'speed rush' around the edge at guard, and I'd like to see anybody bull rush this giant Ogre pretending to be man.

I saw DT Peria Jerry (295 lbs.) bullrush him in the pit at the senior bowl. Herman, who lined up at guard, was pushed all the way back to the dummy where he lost his balance and fell backwards. A reverse pancake one might say. I know you can't judge his ablility off of one play, but he looked like crap.

January 27th, 2009, 6:54 pm
Heisman Winner

Quote:
There is no 'speed rush' around the edge at guard, and I'd like to see anybody bull rush this giant Ogre pretending to be man.

I saw DT Peria Jerry (295 lbs.) bullrush him in the pit at the senior bowl. Herman, who lined up at guard, was pushed all the way back to the dummy where he lost his balance and fell backwards. A reverse pancake one might say. I know you can't judge his ablility off of one play, but he looked like crap.

If the man can't move quickly, he'll get destroyed in the NFL, no matter how big he is. Say he's quick now, 2 offseasons and you might be looking at a guys who's 425 and no longer mobile enough to play. You have to be really careful with the extreme size guys both big and small. Remember Aaron Gibson... He had much better talent and also struggled with his weight. It's not a real stretch to think this guy could bust out in a couple of years. Its easily as likely as him proving to be on top of his weight and developing into a real player...

January 27th, 2009, 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next