View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 A couple of monster Guards 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not that it makes too big of a difference, but Manny was a 4b selection. 18th pick in the 4th round. I accept that it's not a huge loss to displace him at guard, but it's just a little early to do so. Doesn't he get a shot before we draft his replacement?

-ILMP

He had multiple Seasons, where he failed to displace mediocre players. Ed Mutilato was brought in because Manny failed to prove a Starter at the time. Albeit he was young and considered a project at the time.

I dont think its wasteful to have at least 1 Lineman good enough to start, as a backup, especially if they can cover multiple positions (Mack). I think the competition could be good for Manny and not having the pressure to immediately produce or the team is screwed could help macks development as well.

Still , i think we are on the same page and I like your train of thought. :)

February 17th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

dh86 wrote:
If Gene Upshaw or Randall McDaniel were available in their mid 20s. Since they arent, no. Not making roster changes on the line reeks of ego. They want to prove they are so much better than the last staff that they can take the same line and make them play much better. A rude awakening will ensue. The same thing that happened when Rogers was replaced with Darby.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. Resigning Peterman doesn't mean there won't be any changes on the O-line. We haven't even started free agency yet, not to mention the draft, and you're already concluding that there will be no changes. You may be right and there may not be changes. Or, you may be wrong and they may sign a free agent or two, and/or draft O-lineman. Let's say they do draft O-line. Resigning Peterman was probably a necessary evil, so to speak. No team can just scrap everyone and start with all rookies. Even if the guys currently on the team aren't that good, you have to keep some of them around as veterans and potentially just as placeholders until the rookies can work their way into the starting lineup.

The doom and gloom pessimism is really getting old. So far, Lewand and Mayhew have made pretty much all good moves. Nothing earth shattering, but they've made solid moves that appear to be beneficial to the team. How free agency and the draft shake out will go a long way to seeing what their plan is and being able to evaluate their performance. But so far, they've done a pretty darn good job, and I think people should stop constantly bitching. Millen is gone. There are new people in charge and we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Ive already seen Lewand talk of a contract extension for Raiola and Schwartz and Linehan call Backus a building block. Cherilus is fairly cemented at RT and Peterman is resigned. Which only leaves LG.

February 17th, 2009, 11:48 pm
National Champion

I wouldn't be mad at getting Mack at 2a. He could do a lot of different things and keeps your options open to the max. He's a little undersized, though, which reminds me of Raiola in a way.

February 18th, 2009, 7:36 am
Pop Warner Vet

I wouldn't be mad at getting Mack at 2a. He could do a lot of different things and keeps your options open to the max. He's a little undersized, though, which reminds me of Raiola in a way.

Raiola is 6-1 295
Mack is 6-4 316 (and being in college now, he will likely add weight in the NFL)

I don't know if Mack would last through the entire first round. It sounds (from several scouting reports) like he's the best non-tackle OL prospect this year. I'd be fine with taking him at #20. While we'd mark him as our "starting LG", where he could play just fine, it would really light a fire under Raiola's feet to play stronger.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/Alex_Mack.htm wrote:
He has the intelligence to play any position along the offensive line and could start his pro career at guard without missing a beat. Few college players think the game like Mack does. His ability to get to the second level is elite and he wreaks havoc on linebackers and defensive backs. He will test as one of the most athletic and fastest offensive lineman in the draft easily.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009amack.php wrote:
Rare size with great lower body strength, long arms and solid bulk ... Tenacious run blocker and is a finisher ... Consistent motor ... Very smart ... Solid athlete and can get to the second level ... Has the power to anchor against larger nose tackles ... Is the leader and anchor you want for your line ... Makes correct line calls and is a solid communicator ... Gets out of stance quickly ... Uses hands well; can lock on ... Nice awareness in pass protection ... Can play guard....An outstanding center prospect, and most of his weaknesses are correctable...Best center prospect in a very long time and will carry a higher grade than Nick Mangold ... Lack of value and demand at the center position could drop him to the second round, but he should carry a first-round grade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xCkToEnJ8

Sounds like somebody who can create space for Kevin Smith.

February 18th, 2009, 10:29 am
National Champion

Nice, I've heard he was undersized before but it doesn't look like it and he certainly wouldn't get bullied around like Raiola does. Good finds.

Do you think he'll even make it to the second with the the Steelers sitting there at 32?

February 18th, 2009, 11:08 am
Pop Warner Vet

I don't think Mack will last the entire first round, but I do think it's likely he'll still be there at #20.

It's very rare for an interior offensive lineman to go in the top half of round one, but it's very common for the best Center or the best Guard to go late in the first round.

If we spend our #20 pick getting the best interior OL in the draft, put him at LG immediately, and keep him in line to replace Raiola whenever Raiola's not serviceable anymore we really get value in a number of ways...

1. It ought to inspire Ramirez to work harder to earn the LG spot once Mack moves to Center, or to try to unseat Peterman for the RG spot.
2. It ought to inspire Raiola as much as possible too--having a highly-drafted "center" over his shoulder.
3. You can never have too many good offensive linemen.

February 18th, 2009, 11:39 am
Pop Warner Vet

One thing I love to see is smart coaches using smart players in unconventional ways. Like how Belichik puts Randy Moss in at Free Safety in his prevent defense (in case there's a jump ball), or Mike Vrabel as a pass-catching tight end at the goal line.

From the little I've read on Alex Mack, it sounds like his biggest strengths are his athleticism, work ethic, and his football smarts/awareness, but his biggest "weakness" (he's actually above average but not elite for his position) is his lower-body power in short yardage--he's not going to move Pat Williams out of the way at the goal line. This is exactly Manny Ramirez's strength--he's not overly athletic (not ideal for the ZBS we "tried" last year), but he's 325 and really strong (I heard he benches 550). In short yardage, I could see Schwartz trying something like putting Ramirez at LG and moving Mack to TE (where he's a far stronger run-blocker than any TE on our roster). Now, we have our strongest Guard, with fresh legs, on the interior left side, and Cherilus+Mack on the right side--there'll have to be a hole open somewhere, even if Backus & Raiola get pushed backwards, and Kevin Smith has the timing and vision to find that hole. I know I'm dreaming wild scenarios, but hey it's draft season.

February 18th, 2009, 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3