View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Kickoff and Punt Returners: Getting Back to our Roots 
Cheerleader

FootballWiz wrote:
Joe Burnett is also a Starting CB for Central Florida..He can support the run decent and is a good man to man coverage corner.
He has been on my since last year. He would make a great 4th CB and stud Kick returner on the Lions. Im def going after him in the 5th...and maybe even 3b.

I agree and with him being one of the faster CB's at the Combine I don't see 3b as much of a reach anymore. I live in Orlando so UCF is my local team and I have watched Joe since he was a freshman and every year he get better. He's going to be a lights out return man and although he's a little short he play physical and has great leaping ability and great instincts. He's also best friends with Kevin Smith who also went to UCF, so you van be sure Smith will have a very good perspective to share with the coaches and management about Burnett.

Here's a youtube vid of a Punt Return for a TD by Burnett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyfLs_gDs0

Totally agree. Burnett is worth a 3rd. And if they pass, then he is definitely a major steal in the 4th. I too went to UCF and live in Orlando and have watched him over the years. He's a good CB, and a great KR/PR, just what we need. Beyond his physical abilities, he just has that natural football instinct. DO IT!!!

PS. No QB in 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9th, 2009, 4:28 pm
National Champion

Why do we need to draft a kick returner when we just re-signed all-worlder Aveion Cason?

March 9th, 2009, 10:39 pm
National Champion

Why do we need to draft a kick returner when we just re-signed all-worlder Aveion Cason?

Someone sounds mad!? Lol. Chill out, it was one year, and if a good return man falls (unlikely) we'll go. If not, we have a contingency plan. Chill out...

March 10th, 2009, 6:31 am
RIP Killer

Just sign the fastest, shiftiest guy you can find, even if he is one-dimensional and only a KR/PR

March 10th, 2009, 10:33 pm
NFL Veteran

Didn't know where to put this, I figure he'd be a glorified returner if he were somehow drafted a Lion.

Wide receiver prospect Jeremy Maclin to visit Lions

John Niyo wrote:
Could the Lions select another receiver with a first-round draft pick? It seems unlikely, but the Lions' due diligence in draft preparation will include a visit from Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, Scout.com reported.

Maclin, widely viewed as the second-best receiver -- behind Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree -- in this year's draft, has met with Cincinnati and is scheduled for a private workout with Oakland. Those teams pick sixth and seventh, respectively, in the first round, and Maclin is projected as a top-15 pick by most analysts. Maclin, an elite returner besides his skills as a receiver, reportedly has other visits scheduled with St. Louis, Cleveland and the New York Jets.

If for some crazy reason Maclin were available at 20 I swear I kid you not, I'd pull the trigger on him. I think he's a better prospect than Crabtree.

I swore I would not touch a receiver in the first few rounds. But upon researching the wideouts to be thorough I've changed my mind on Maclin. More on that later.

Anyway I wouldn't even be surprised if he was taken ahead of Crabtree. And if for some outrageous alignment of celestial bodies made it a possibility to select Maclin at 20 the Lions would have to seriously, seriously think about it.

April 8th, 2009, 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Honestly, though I know I'll probably be labeled as being off my rocker for suggesting this- the guy I'd really love to see the Lions go after for the return game in this draft is Brandon Tate.

He was among the leaders in the nation in both kick and punt return yardage before he blew out his knee in the 4th or 5th game. Because of his injury, and because the WR class is so deep in this years draft, I think it's entirely possible we could steal him if we could move back up into the 4th or 5th round and I think he'd be well worth the risk. I mean, while I'm sure it would probably take him a season to get back to speed, we do have team doctors that could check him out beforehand and see how he's progressing rehab-wise and whether he'd be worth the risk or not.

I agree that returner is a fairly big need for this team, and I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Schwartz actually does have some interest in addressing it; but I'd rather take a mid-to-late round flier on Tate and use our precious early round picks to take care of our more pressing needs along the trenches (imo).

April 8th, 2009, 11:50 pm
NFL Veteran

Brandon Tate would have been at least a 2nd rounder and maybe a 1st rounder before his scary ligament damage. The guy was that good. Scary to imagine the entire corp of NC receivers, with Nicks, Tate and even Brooks Foster.

Anyway, because it's such a severe injury I have him as my 30th best WR and have a 7th round grade for him. But if he can have a miraculous comeback from the injury he can make a Marques Colston-like splash in the league. But it's a risky proposition, where he's just as likely to never get his knee right again.

Anyway regarding Maclin, there's a couple of stats that just put him on top for me. It's his production in pressure situations. In other words his ability to convert 3rd downs, 4th downs and red zone catches.

Player 3rd 4th RZ
Michael Crabtree 11/9 3/1 16/11
Jeremy Maclin 22/8 1/1 6/2
Darrius Heyward-Bey 8/7 0/0 2/1
Percy Harvin 9/7 0/1 4/3
Hakeem Nicks 19/6 3/0 3/1
Kenny Britt 11/18 0/1 2/0
Brian Robiskie 10/14 0/1 7/6

How do you read this?

3rd is [3rd downs converted to first down]/[3rd downs not converted by receiver to first down]
4th is [4th downs converted to first down]/4th down not converted by receiver]
RZ [successfel]/[unsuccessful catches in red zone]

As you can see, among the top receivers, most are at about 50% successful at converting 3rd down. Kenny Britt is a guy who is often short of the sticks on 3rd. And Maclin is a guy who will keep the drive alive a good percentage of the time. Hakeem Nicks is the only guy who can come close to him.

In the redzone, Crabtree gets thrown to alot, but the most successful in the redzone are Nicks and Maclin.

What does this tell you? The guy will get you a first down when you need it. And is reliable in most pressure situations. Watch tape of Maclin and you see that the guy is a fighter, always looking to add to the play after the catch. Not like a lot of receivers who make the catch and go down. (Think Shaun McDonald).

Nicks is also a great receiver, but what Maclin brings is a different dimension. He's super fast with pads on, so he's a threat in the end arounds. He can look like Chris Johnson as a back. And he'd be a super dangerous wildcat player. On top of that he'd be like I mentioned earlier, a glorified if not deadly return man. Let's also not forget he's a excellent receiver. He's the ultimate offensive weapon in the draft. (Sorry Percy)

I'm not targeting him, and I am expecting him to go in the top 10 maybe top 15 picks. But I'm not going to be ignorant about one heck of a football player. You won't catch me ruling out recievers for the first couple of rounds just because we've drafted them early before, or because we have Calvin Johnson already. If he falls and he's head and shoulders BPA, I would be fielding calls for trades, and if nothing suitable materialized I wouldn't hesitate to draft him.

April 9th, 2009, 2:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2