View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Your Ideal Draft 
Author Message
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
I have only a couple of small gripes/questions with your mock. My first being Ayers. I have trouble every time I'm filling out a mock with this guy, because it is extremely hard for me to put a senior DE in round 1 with nine total collegiate sacks and he started all four years if I remember correctly. That's something I cringe doing every time, because it doesn't feel right at all, he should have over 20. Your placement is realistic to some other mocks I've read lately, I just get nervous about the man himself.

Second question would be, don't you think Taylor will go before our compensatory pick? I've seen quite a few mocks with him falling into the 3rd or 4th. Him barely making it in the 7th would really surprise me.

Anyways, nice mock.


April 15th, 2009, 6:20 am
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: March 30th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Posts: 182
Post 
I believe this season it's difficult to come up with a truly "ideal" mock, we just have so many holes and some are just going to have to wait till next year (for me it'd probably be SS because I'd love to see us chase after Mays from USC in the 2010 draft). That said, I don't expect this but I wouldn't be unhappy if next weekends' draft turned out something like this:

1a) Curry, MLB Wake Forest. I understand the debate. What it comes to to me is I figure you either prefer the idea of building through offense or defense; through the foundation or through the skill positions. What it really comes down to is: this is my ideal draft... not yours :wink:

1b) William Beatty, LT UConn. There are guys I would consider over Beatty if they slipped this far, but I don't expect them to. I think he is a more complete LT then Oher and a more natural fit at LT then Britton. Moves Backus to LG and I believe we've really improved our OL with this pick and the next....

2) Mack or Unger, C Either one would be fine though I'd prefer Mack. I can't stand having "Roll-over" at Center and just believe when you have a chance to get a guy like one of these two that can potentially anchor the middle of your OL for years to come, you take them.

3a) Keenan Lewis, CB Oregon St. Torn on this pick because we have so many needs, but I think if Keenan falls to us we almost have to take him. I'd also consider Chung (SS from Oregon) if he falls this far..

3b) Lawrence Sidbury, DE Richmond I've seen him taken anywhere from mid-2nd round to late 4th. If he falls to us I wouldn't mind seeing them grab him.

6a) Joe Burnett, CB/KR C Fla More depth at DB but primarily an explosive KR.

6b) Mike Teel, QB Rutgers If you had a chance to watch about the last 5-7 Rutgers games last year, you see this guy could be a late round steal. None of the hype, but a fair amount of potential and none of the risk of a #1 overall :P .

7)Myron Pryor, DT Kentucky Should be available this late and would be a solid risk to go after at this point if he is.

I'll add a potential UFA too- Kory Sperry, TE CSU Solid run blocking TE with size (6'6" around 265-270) and also has downright spectacular hands and playmaking ability. I'd love to see us take a chance on him if we don't go after any of the higher profile TEs


April 17th, 2009, 4:15 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
1a Stafford QB UGA - Franchise QB and face of the franchise

1b Oher LT MISS - Extremely talented player that falls due to other teams needs and that 3 other OTs went before him...

2 Mack OC/OG - CAL - Potential pro bowler at OG and OT... Goz, Oher and Mack are the foundation that we Lions fans have been calling for for years..

3a Moala DT USC - I think he could be the 2nd DT off the board, but most people seem to think he is a 3rd rounder... If that is the case, we just got a heck of a steal...

3b Lawrence Sidbury DE Richmond - Avril looks like he is a good player, but we definitely need more guys that can add pressure

6a Antonio Appleby MLB UVA - Big thumping, developmental MLB for the middle of the defense...

6b John Phillips TE UVA - Good blocker and medium to short range target... Good size for the position as well... UVA usually turns out good TEs...

7 Johnny Knox WR Abil Christian - The Lions have visited with this guy... He and his 4.29 speed could be the KR this team has looked for since early in Drummond's career...

OR

1a Eugene Monroe LT UVA - There are no holes in this guys game... I really wish we were in negotiations with him rather than J. Smith... If we don't go with Stafford here, this is the guy I want...

1b Michael Johnson DE GT - This guy is a freak... I was critical of him early due to his lack of production, but he was asked a lot to drop in to coverage this year... He is the only player that gave Monroe (UVA) trouble this year that I saw... My money is that TB pairs him with G. Adams with the 19th pick, but ideally he would fall here... Of course Maulaluga is a consideration here as well, but I think Johnson is going to be a dominant pass rusher and you can't pass on those...

2 Alex Mack OC/OG CAL - I think this guy is destined for the pro bowl... I'll take him in either situation...

3a Fili Moala DT USC - Again if he is here, this is a steal... I like Mike Mickens CB CIN here too... Both would help out immensely... Truth be told I think they are both gone...

3b R. Johnson FS ALA - Alexander is still a question mark with his spine injury... R. Johnson should be gone by now, but if he is still here he's a perfect player to come in and compete with Alexander...

6a Antonio Appleby MLB UVA - Same reason as above...

6b Mike Teel QB Rutgers - I'm stealing this from Calvin... I like him as a developmental pick and if we are going to roll with Cpep, we need to start grooming a guy now...

7 Johnny Knox WR Abil Christian - Same as above


April 17th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
No offense but your first draft sucks imo. It grossly ignores the most deficient side of the ball until day 2. And I don't like any of the defensive picks because none of them would start this year, and maybe never.

Moala at this point should be able to make plays like a UT at his size, but plays more like a NT. To be a NT in our defense he has a lot of mass to gain, so he's a year away if that's the intent to have him take over for Grady Jackson. Either way, there's some development required in the playmaking or weight gaining department.

A lot of people are high on Sidbury, but the Lions should just pass on him, because he's a Cliff Avril Clone. Undersized pass rushing specialist in a 4-3 or 3-4 OLB. Why duplicate a position when you can address a hole?

You said it about Appleby. Developmental. He's a guy who for his size and athletecism really underachieved. He may not have the football acumen to be the center of our defense. Special Teamer for life maybe.

The second draft is better, but the same is said of Moala. If we want to get a DT and turn him into a space eater, might as well get a space eater. There are several available. Dorell Scott, Sammie Lee Hill, Ron Brace, Chris Baker.

Rashad Johnson has not impressed me, and I think he's only rated so high because the safety class is weak this year. I think we might find better value with a cornerback in round 3 if you want a DB.

I'm also high on Michael Johnson and think if the Lions want him they have to pull the trigger on him at 20. Media heads underrate him. I see a lot of teams though salivating over the guy.

Also I think making Eugene Monroe the pick over Jason Smith is 'safe.' Interesting that you would take a risk on a boom or bust player like Stafford, but not on boom or bust player like Jason Smith. I feel good about Jason Smith's upside, but watching tape of him scares me. Truth be told, Andre Smith still looks better on tape than Jason Smith. I need to remind myself that he's constantly progressing at an alarming rate. At this point Monroe is the better tackle no question.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


April 18th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
No offense but your first draft sucks imo. It grossly ignores the most deficient side of the ball until day 2. And I don't like any of the defensive picks because none of them would start this year, and maybe never.


None taken... I don't respect your opinion anyway.... :cheers:

I could not care less about 2009... As long as we get 1 win and build a solid core of young players, I'll be alright... I won't be happy, but I'll be alright...

If you take Stafford, then getting an offensive line should be the focus... Oher and Mack solidify the left side of the line for years...

Quote:
Moala at this point should be able to make plays like a UT at his size, but plays more like a NT. To be a NT in our defense he has a lot of mass to gain, so he's a year away if that's the intent to have him take over for Grady Jackson. Either way, there's some development required in the playmaking or weight gaining department.


Moala is the 2nd best DT in this class IMO... He gave 2 of best OCs in this draft fits... I doubt he makes it to the 3rd rd, but lets hope teams feel the same way you do...

Quote:
A lot of people are high on Sidbury, but the Lions should just pass on him, because he's a Cliff Avril Clone. Undersized pass rushing specialist in a 4-3 or 3-4 OLB. Why duplicate a position when you can address a hole?


Sidbury is the best option at this position to help the pass rush... What is wrong with getting depth anyway? The Lions are said to be entertaining the thought of mixing their schemes between 3-4 and 4-3... Don't you agree that he would provide some flexibility to do that? Avril on one side him on the other?

Quote:
You said it about Appleby. Developmental. He's a guy who for his size and athletecism really underachieved. He may not have the football acumen to be the center of our defense. Special Teamer for life maybe.


What else are you going to get in the 6th rd other than a developmental pick?

Quote:
The second draft is better, but the same is said of Moala. If we want to get a DT and turn him into a space eater, might as well get a space eater. There are several available. Dorell Scott, Sammie Lee Hill, Ron Brace, Chris Baker.


Moala is a better player than all of them and he's got more upside... I will say that Brace is arguably a better player and Hill is intriguing... They are certainly bigger NT like players... Moala is more versatile though IMO...

Quote:
Rashad Johnson has not impressed me, and I think he's only rated so high because the safety class is weak this year. I think we might find better value with a cornerback in round 3 if you want a DB.


If Mickens is there then great, but I don't see much value in them in the 3rd rd... I'm anticipating a run on CBs in the 2nd rd... That seems to be where their value is at to me...
Quote:
I'm also high on Michael Johnson and think if the Lions want him they have to pull the trigger on him at 20. Media heads underrate him. I see a lot of teams though salivating over the guy.


I think he is going to TB at 19 personally...

Quote:
Also I think making Eugene Monroe the pick over Jason Smith is 'safe.' Interesting that you would take a risk on a boom or bust player like Stafford, but not on boom or bust player like Jason Smith. I feel good about Jason Smith's upside, but watching tape of him scares me. Truth be told, Andre Smith still looks better on tape than Jason Smith. I need to remind myself that he's constantly progressing at an alarming rate. At this point Monroe is the better tackle no question.


I view Stafford as less of a risk than J. Smith.... Guys that vault up draft boards like that seem like they have a low success rate... I've seen less of him than anyone else in this draft, but what I have seen, I have to question where scouts were able to see his ability... The QB had the ball in his hand for about a half of a second before he threw it and his run blocking isn't supposed to be a strong suit of his... He's raw on top of all of that... I don't see how much better he can possibly be than a guy that pushed Albert to OG and who scouts say is better than D'brick who went 4th overall....


April 18th, 2009, 6:26 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: November 20th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Posts: 102
Post 
1. Matthew Stafford-QB-Georgia 6-2 225
I know more than a few people won't like this pick. I feel like he has all the tools to be a pro bowl caliber QB in this league. We need a franchise QB in the worst way and I think this kid will be it. With the way Culpepper has looked in mini-camp I think he has at least one more good season in him, which means Stafford doesn't have to start right away.


20. Rey Maualuga-MLB-USC 6-2 250
Great Size and strength, violent hitter that is great against the run. Good pass rusher and blitzer and is a leader. He will be the heart of our defense for the next decade.


33. Ron Brace-DT-Boston College 6-3 334
Huge DT that is great against the run, a great replacement for Grady Jackson once he retires and will be able to learn a lot from Jackson.


65. Chip Vaughn-S-Wake Forest 6-1 221
Tough hard hitting safety with great size that is fantastic against the run. With him Brace and Maluaga we should vastly improve our run D.


82. Kraig Urbik-OG-Wisconsin 6-5 328
Great size and strength with a nasty demeanor, comes school that produces good pro lineman. Has played at RT and provides some position flexibility.


174. Joe Burnett-CB/KR/PR-UCF 5-9 192
He was the only guy in college football to rank in the top 20 in both kickoff and punt returns. For his career he holds the record for Conference USA Punt return yards and ranks 19th in NCAA history. He would be our answer at Return man and would provide depth at CB.


192. Frantz Joseph-MLB-FAU 6-3 235
Good size, tough as nails, great tackler and is a leader. Would provide very nice depth to the LBing Corps.


255. Rob Myers-TE-Utah St. 6-3 243
Pure pass catching TE that has good size and great speed. Same school as Chris Cooley and could be a similar type of player.


April 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
What I think the Lions will do:
1a. QB Matt Stafford
1b. TE Brandon Pettigrew (Oher off the board)
2. ILB James Laurinaitis
3a. DT Sen'Derrick Marks (Someone worthwhile falls)
3b. OC Antoine Caldwell (will start at LG)
6a. CB Joe Burnett (PR/KR)
6b. DE Will Davis
7. OLB Brian Toal (just a guess)

What I think the Lions should do:
1a. LB Aaron Curry (BPA, simple as that)
1b. DT Peria Jerry (perfect fit at UT)
2. OG Max Unger (can play every position)
3a. QB Rhett Bohmar (all the skills to fit in the NFL)
3b. SS Chip Vaughn (Stu Schweigert starting? Please....)
6a. CB Joe Burnett (great return skills needed here)
6b. DE Everette Pendescleaux (small school prospect, nice measurables)
7. TE Jared Bronson (good TEs always fall)

I wouldn't have had the Lions taking a QB at all, but with Stanton looking like dog crap this past weekend, I think the coaches may go ahead and pull the trigger on a QB that can be developed. I think Bohmar has what it takes to succeed. He made a stupid mistake in college, and it cost him big school exposure. However, his skill set is untainted and though he may not have Stafford's overall arm strength, he has better overall command of his throws (touch) and good field vision.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....until I change my mind.


Last edited by m2karateman on April 21st, 2009, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.



April 20th, 2009, 12:09 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: November 2nd, 2008, 1:29 am
Posts: 427
Post 
Why not:

1a. Lb Aaron Curry- Don't want Smith and nobody wants a Staff Infection.
1b. Qb Josh Freeman - Back on the bandwagon baby. Steal of the draft.
2. CB- Alphonso Smith- Can't have too many?
3a. C- Eric Wood- Good size. Can play all positions.
3b. DT- Ron Brace- Value pick. All about size.
6a. TE- Richard Quinn- Good blocking TE. May not last.
6b. KR- Devin Moore- Flat out speed (4.3). Maybe he earns a KR spot, maybe not.


-ILMP


April 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar
User avatar

Joined: March 3rd, 2007, 8:28 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Hell
Post 
I've gone through several versions of what I thought would be "ideal" trying to come up with the best balance of need vs. value. Here is what I finally settled on:

1a) Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Best player in the draft, plain and simple. I can't find a reason why we SHOULDN'T draft him, and believe me, I've looked for one.

1b) Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri - I honestly don't think either of the Ole Miss players (Oher or Jerry) will be here. If Pettigrew falls this far, I would probably end up taking him, but I just can't believe that a talent like that would slip to 20. But don't think I am settling here. I REALLY like Hood, perhaps even more so than Jerry. I know we are looking to get bigger in the middle of the DL, but I think Hood is big enough (and could possibly pack on a few more pounds), and has both the skill and and the intangibles for the style of defense we want to run.

2) Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - Yes, two WF guys. I'll admit, I have a bit of a man-crush on Alphonso Smith. But I think he is a better pure corner than Darius Butler, and more consistent and has better work ethic than Vontae Davis. I think getting him at 33 would be an absolute steal. I know we brought in a lot of guys at the CB position, but Henry is a little long in the tooth, and this not only gives us the flexibility to move him to FS if we want, but we can finally cut the dead weight that is Travis "Where'd the wide receiver go?" Fisher.

3a) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon - I think Chung is seriously underrated, and I personally am not excited about any of our current prospects at the safety position. I think that bringing in Smith and Chung gives us a lot of options to fix what was arguably the worst secondary in the history of everything.

3b) Gerald Cadogan, T, Penn State - Not a flashy name, and really not a flashy player. But he's got the raw skill set to be a solid LT, and doesn't have any of the character/work ethic concerns of some of the higher profile guys. He may have a bit of a learning curve early on, but really, playing on OUR offensive line, what rookie wouldn't?

6a) John Phillips, TE, Virginia - UVA is practically a TE factory, and Phillips is another underrated prospect. If we can't get Pettigrew in the first, I like Phillips here. Like the safety position, I'm not high on any of our players at tight end, and I think he could push some guys off the roster. Even if he is only a ST'er, this is pretty much a zero-risk move at this point in the draft.

6b) Khalif Mitchell, DT, East Carolina - You want a big body in the middle? Here you go. A physical specimen, Mitchell definitely has some skeletons in the closet, and will need some hardcore coaching to bring out his potential. But if it doesn't work out, I'm ok with having a mid-6th rounder not making the roster. He might go higher than this on pure talent alone, but if he drops, I'd take a flyer on him.

7) Seth Olsen, G, Iowa - Ok, ok, this is a bit of a homer pick. But Seth is not a bad prospect. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he is smart, experienced, and versatile, having lined up at LT, RT and RG. He, like Phillips, could push some other guys who have underachieved or not lived up to expectations.

There are some other variations that I have considered, and I might post them up a little later. But this one I think focuses on our main need areas (ie, the defense), without reaching for specific positions, and getting good value with each pick.

But then again, what the hell do I know? :P


April 21st, 2009, 12:33 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
MrSpoon wrote:
I've gone through several versions of what I thought would be "ideal" trying to come up with the best balance of need vs. value. Here is what I finally settled on:

1a) Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Best player in the draft, plain and simple. I can't find a reason why we SHOULDN'T draft him, and believe me, I've looked for one.

1b) Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri - I honestly don't think either of the Ole Miss players (Oher or Jerry) will be here. If Pettigrew falls this far, I would probably end up taking him, but I just can't believe that a talent like that would slip to 20. But don't think I am settling here. I REALLY like Hood, perhaps even more so than Jerry. I know we are looking to get bigger in the middle of the DL, but I think Hood is big enough (and could possibly pack on a few more pounds), and has both the skill and and the intangibles for the style of defense we want to run.

2) Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - Yes, two WF guys. I'll admit, I have a bit of a man-crush on Alphonso Smith. But I think he is a better pure corner than Darius Butler, and more consistent and has better work ethic than Vontae Davis. I think getting him at 33 would be an absolute steal. I know we brought in a lot of guys at the CB position, but Henry is a little long in the tooth, and this not only gives us the flexibility to move him to FS if we want, but we can finally cut the dead weight that is Travis "Where'd the wide receiver go?" Fisher.

3a) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon - I think Chung is seriously underrated, and I personally am not excited about any of our current prospects at the safety position. I think that bringing in Smith and Chung gives us a lot of options to fix what was arguably the worst secondary in the history of everything.

3b) Gerald Cadogan, T, Penn State - Not a flashy name, and really not a flashy player. But he's got the raw skill set to be a solid LT, and doesn't have any of the character/work ethic concerns of some of the higher profile guys. He may have a bit of a learning curve early on, but really, playing on OUR offensive line, what rookie wouldn't?

6a) John Phillips, TE, Virginia - UVA is practically a TE factory, and Phillips is another underrated prospect. If we can't get Pettigrew in the first, I like Phillips here. Like the safety position, I'm not high on any of our players at tight end, and I think he could push some guys off the roster. Even if he is only a ST'er, this is pretty much a zero-risk move at this point in the draft.

6b) Khalif Mitchell, DT, East Carolina - You want a big body in the middle? Here you go. A physical specimen, Mitchell definitely has some skeletons in the closet, and will need some hardcore coaching to bring out his potential. But if it doesn't work out, I'm ok with having a mid-6th rounder not making the roster. He might go higher than this on pure talent alone, but if he drops, I'd take a flyer on him.

7) Seth Olsen, G, Iowa - Ok, ok, this is a bit of a homer pick. But Seth is not a bad prospect. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he is smart, experienced, and versatile, having lined up at LT, RT and RG. He, like Phillips, could push some other guys who have underachieved or not lived up to expectations.

There are some other variations that I have considered, and I might post them up a little later. But this one I think focuses on our main need areas (ie, the defense), without reaching for specific positions, and getting good value with each pick.

But then again, what the hell do I know? :P


I think I would need a new pair of underwear after I woke up from that draft. LOL.


April 21st, 2009, 1:40 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: March 3rd, 2005, 2:19 pm
Posts: 577
Post 
BillySims wrote:
MrSpoon wrote:
I've gone through several versions of what I thought would be "ideal" trying to come up with the best balance of need vs. value. Here is what I finally settled on:

1a) Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Best player in the draft, plain and simple. I can't find a reason why we SHOULDN'T draft him, and believe me, I've looked for one.

1b) Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri - I honestly don't think either of the Ole Miss players (Oher or Jerry) will be here. If Pettigrew falls this far, I would probably end up taking him, but I just can't believe that a talent like that would slip to 20. But don't think I am settling here. I REALLY like Hood, perhaps even more so than Jerry. I know we are looking to get bigger in the middle of the DL, but I think Hood is big enough (and could possibly pack on a few more pounds), and has both the skill and and the intangibles for the style of defense we want to run.

2) Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - Yes, two WF guys. I'll admit, I have a bit of a man-crush on Alphonso Smith. But I think he is a better pure corner than Darius Butler, and more consistent and has better work ethic than Vontae Davis. I think getting him at 33 would be an absolute steal. I know we brought in a lot of guys at the CB position, but Henry is a little long in the tooth, and this not only gives us the flexibility to move him to FS if we want, but we can finally cut the dead weight that is Travis "Where'd the wide receiver go?" Fisher.

3a) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon - I think Chung is seriously underrated, and I personally am not excited about any of our current prospects at the safety position. I think that bringing in Smith and Chung gives us a lot of options to fix what was arguably the worst secondary in the history of everything.

3b) Gerald Cadogan, T, Penn State - Not a flashy name, and really not a flashy player. But he's got the raw skill set to be a solid LT, and doesn't have any of the character/work ethic concerns of some of the higher profile guys. He may have a bit of a learning curve early on, but really, playing on OUR offensive line, what rookie wouldn't?

6a) John Phillips, TE, Virginia - UVA is practically a TE factory, and Phillips is another underrated prospect. If we can't get Pettigrew in the first, I like Phillips here. Like the safety position, I'm not high on any of our players at tight end, and I think he could push some guys off the roster. Even if he is only a ST'er, this is pretty much a zero-risk move at this point in the draft.

6b) Khalif Mitchell, DT, East Carolina - You want a big body in the middle? Here you go. A physical specimen, Mitchell definitely has some skeletons in the closet, and will need some hardcore coaching to bring out his potential. But if it doesn't work out, I'm ok with having a mid-6th rounder not making the roster. He might go higher than this on pure talent alone, but if he drops, I'd take a flyer on him.

7) Seth Olsen, G, Iowa - Ok, ok, this is a bit of a homer pick. But Seth is not a bad prospect. He doesn't have great athleticism, but he is smart, experienced, and versatile, having lined up at LT, RT and RG. He, like Phillips, could push some other guys who have underachieved or not lived up to expectations.

There are some other variations that I have considered, and I might post them up a little later. But this one I think focuses on our main need areas (ie, the defense), without reaching for specific positions, and getting good value with each pick.

But then again, what the hell do I know? :P


I think I would need a new pair of underwear after I woke up from that draft. LOL.


Me too. I'd be exhausted from all the celebrating that would be taking place in my home. Hell, I might even go buy some 'New Lions' swag.

_________________
"With the second pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Calvin Johnson, WR from Georgia Tech."

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.


April 21st, 2009, 1:06 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Murtyle wrote:
If you take Stafford, then getting an offensive line should be the focus... Oher and Mack solidify the left side of the line for years...


Why? If Stafford is going to sit for a year, why worry about the o-line now. And you've address the LT position with a guy who has fallen mightily because of consistency and work ethic concerns. Sounds like quite a gamble, taking a QB who is not the consensus best at his position (Sanchez is rated higher by some) and who is universally considered to NOT be the best prospect in this draft, and then follow it up by taking a tackle who some feel may be out of the league in three years or less unless the coaches find a way to motivate him.

Murtyle wrote:
Moala is the 2nd best DT in this class IMO... He gave 2 of best OCs in this draft fits... I doubt he makes it to the 3rd rd, but lets hope teams feel the same way you do...


Personally I like the pick at the position you had him, 3a. But second DT off the board? Ahead of Ziggy, Peria and Ron Brace? That would be a stretch. He could go ahead of Brace, but most likely to a team looking for a 34DE, where I think he would excel. Possibly NE or GB in round two, if neither lands a DE in the first.

Murtyle wrote:
Quote:
I'm also high on Michael Johnson and think if the Lions want him they have to pull the trigger on him at 20. Media heads underrate him. I see a lot of teams though salivating over the guy.


I think he is going to TB at 19 personally...


A player that lacks motivation and has been a career underachiever going that high? Talent wise, yes. But realistically, I have my doubts....maybe he goes to someone like Arizona later in the first, but I can't see mid-first round for him.


Murtyle wrote:
I view Stafford as less of a risk than J. Smith.... Guys that vault up draft boards like that seem like they have a low success rate... I've seen less of him than anyone else in this draft, but what I have seen, I have to question where scouts were able to see his ability... The QB had the ball in his hand for about a half of a second before he threw it and his run blocking isn't supposed to be a strong suit of his... He's raw on top of all of that... I don't see how much better he can possibly be than a guy that pushed Albert to OG and who scouts say is better than D'brick who went 4th overall....


I like Eugene Monroe, and I constantly change my opinion of who the better LT is, him or Smith. But Monroe's injury history worries me more and more as we get closer to the draft, and I have to imagine some teams will feel the same. Three injuries to the same knee is guaranteed to shorten this guys career by quite a bit. He is by far more polished than any other LT in this draft, but there's no use in taking a player who may be the most polished player on the IR every year.
Smith is rated by some ahead of Monroe due to the injuries, and the fact that Smith is more athletic and nastier. You can't teach attitude, and you can't teach healthy. You can teach technique, which is Smith's only drawback.


April 21st, 2009, 3:44 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1203
Post 
(The following draft is based on Scott Wright's draft countdown on likelihood of availablility.)
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

My ideal draft:
MLB: Aaron Curry
DT: Peria Jerry or Evander Hood
OT: William Beatty


I would be very happy with,

OT: Jason Smith
DT: Peria Jerry or Evander Hood
MLB: James Laurinitis


After these three players, I'm pretty much open to upgrades at any position.

_________________
Climate Change - happening every second, of every minute of every day ever since the world was created. Needless to say it's man's fault.


April 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
Why? If Stafford is going to sit for a year, why worry about the o-line now. And you've address the LT position with a guy who has fallen mightily because of consistency and work ethic concerns. Sounds like quite a gamble, taking a QB who is not the consensus best at his position (Sanchez is rated higher by some) and who is universally considered to NOT be the best prospect in this draft, and then follow it up by taking a tackle who some feel may be out of the league in three years or less unless the coaches find a way to motivate him.


My argument for drafting Stafford has based around the fact that you can build a team around him while you are developing him... Drafting olineman now gives them time to develop and gel with their linemates so next year when Stafford is ready to go, the line in front of him is set... Mack is a stud and under-rated IMO... In Oher's case, I have since learned that he has a learning disability and has trouble understanding complicated playbooks so I would probably change that pick now...

Quote:
Personally I like the pick at the position you had him, 3a. But second DT off the board? Ahead of Ziggy, Peria and Ron Brace? That would be a stretch. He could go ahead of Brace, but most likely to a team looking for a 34DE, where I think he would excel. Possibly NE or GB in round two, if neither lands a DE in the first.


I'm a big fan of Moala's... I think in 2008 he showed great improvement in a lot of areas... He was always very good at being a run stopper, but he showed a lot of ability to push the pocket as well... He has a big motor and is extremely aggressive... I just think in the end he is going to be very good...

I do have Brace and him on the same level, but they are different players... I picture Moala as a UT in a 4-3 and Brace as a NT...


Quote:
A player that lacks motivation and has been a career underachiever going that high? Talent wise, yes. But realistically, I have my doubts....maybe he goes to someone like Arizona later in the first, but I can't see mid-first round for him.


The motivation thing is just wrong with him and I suspect that it comes from his lack of big #'s and that he didn't start until late in his college career... However, I've heard his coaches say time and time again that the problem with him is that its hard to slow him down...

While yes it is a concern that his production was low and he doesn't have a lot of starts, he really hit his stride at the end of this year... I don't know what the problem was under Gailey... This kid is just coming into his own ... Physically there isn't a more talented player in the draft and I really think he could go as early as to Houston....

Quote:
I like Eugene Monroe, and I constantly change my opinion of who the better LT is, him or Smith. But Monroe's injury history worries me more and more as we get closer to the draft, and I have to imagine some teams will feel the same. Three injuries to the same knee is guaranteed to shorten this guys career by quite a bit. He is by far more polished than any other LT in this draft, but there's no use in taking a player who may be the most polished player on the IR every year.
Smith is rated by some ahead of Monroe due to the injuries, and the fact that Smith is more athletic and nastier. You can't teach attitude, and you can't teach healthy. You can teach technique, which is Smith's only drawback.


Maybe, but they were all minor injuries... Monroe only missed 2 games his whole career...

To me, Smith seems like the biggest risk in this draft...


Ok so here is my final board fror each pick... This is who I would target, in order at each pick who realistically have a chance to be there...

1a. Stafford

1b. R. Maulaluga LB USC / B. Pettigrew TE OK.St. / M. Johnson DE GT / V. Davis CB Ill. / E. Britton OT Ari

2 A. Mack OL Cal / J. Gilbert DE SJ St / J. Laurenitus MLB OSU / E. Wood OL Louisville / W. Beatty OT UCONN

3a F. Moala DT USC / M. Mickens CB CIN / P. Kruger DE Utah / S. Nelson TE S. Miss / R. Johnson FS ALA

3b. L. Sidbury DE Richmond / J. Phillips MLB TCU / Craig Ubrik OG Wisc / S. Martin CB Troy / Fenuki Topou OL Oregon

6a J. Phillips TE VA / J. Franrz MLB FAU / Johnny Knox WR Abil. Chr. / T. Taylor DT Mich / D. Johnson FB Ark. St

6b A. Appleby MLB VA / C. Baker DT Hampton / M. Mitchell SS Ohio / B. Johnson CB MIA / A. Brown RB TCU

7 D. Moore RB Wyoming / Jerod Bronson TE C. Washington / Roger Allen OG Missouri Western / N. Reed MLB Oregon / M. Trent Mich (Move him to FS)


April 24th, 2009, 1:12 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Murtyle wrote:
Ok so here is my final board fror each pick... This is who I would target, in order at each pick who realistically have a chance to be there...

1a. Stafford

1b. R. Maulaluga LB USC / B. Pettigrew TE OK.St. / M. Johnson DE GT / V. Davis CB Ill. / E. Britton OT Ari

2 A. Mack OL Cal / J. Gilbert DE SJ St / J. Laurenitus MLB OSU / E. Wood OL Louisville / W. Beatty OT UCONN

3a F. Moala DT USC / M. Mickens CB CIN / P. Kruger DE Utah / S. Nelson TE S. Miss / R. Johnson FS ALA

3b. L. Sidbury DE Richmond /J. Phillips MLB TCU/ Craig Ubrik OG Wisc / S. Martin CB Troy / Fenuki Topou OL Oregon

6a J. Phillips TE VA / J. Franrz MLB FAU / Johnny Knox WR Abil. Chr. / T. Taylor DT Mich / D. Johnson FB Ark. St

6b A. Appleby MLB VA / C. Baker DT Hampton / M. Mitchell SS Ohio / B. Johnson CB MIA / A. Brown RB TCU

7 D. Moore RB Wyoming / Jerod Bronson TE C. Washington / Roger Allen OG Missouri Western / N. Reed MLB Oregon / M. Trent Mich (Move him to FS)


You made some very good points Murtyle, and I don't know that I can argue with you because they were all logical. Much of the things all of us discuss or argue at this point are based more on gut instinct anyways.

Anyways, the players I highlighted out of your picks are the most likely to be my selections. The one I would be willing to swap out would be Phillips at 6a for Joe Burnett. I really think the Lions HAVE to consider him if he's there, for his return skills as well as depth at CB.

I think Maualuga, if he falls, would be great as our MLB. So what if he's a two down player? If he's a definitive sideline to sideline run stopper, I'd live with it.
Tough call between Mack or Beatty at 33, but Mack is a stud and can play anywhere inside. He even has the size to step in at RT if called upon. Max Unger would be a consideration as well. He has experience at all five OL spots.
Moala at 65 would be a great pickup as the UT. No argument there.
Sidbury at 82 would be a solid pickup and would be the heir apparent to D. White. I think he turns out to be a solid, if not spectacular, player.
Chris Baker would be good as the backup at NT. He could come in for Moala in the HEAVY package for short yardage stops.
Roger Allen is raw, but could develop. I doubt he's there, but if he is they should make him the pick. He'd be highly sought after as a UDFA.


April 24th, 2009, 1:36 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.