View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 1:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Your Ideal Draft 
Rookie Player of the Year

Not Palmer but they are looking to replace Levi Jones. At #6 they will likely miss out Monroe and Jason Smith making a move to leapfrog St. Louis and Seattle a good move for them. I don't think they can touch Andre Smith with all the character issues they've had in the past and unless they were willing to trade back and get an Oher, Beatty, or Britton a trade up is a possiblity. Their OL coach was even the one running Monroe through the OL drills at Virginia's pro day. It's also the "ideal draft" section not the mock draft section.

March 21st, 2009, 2:58 pm
NFL Veteran

#6 BJ Raji- Not a fan at #1 with the baggage he carries and I have questions about him becoming Shaun Rogers v2.0. But at #6 he has a nice combination of strength and quickness at the DT spot.

See this "baggage and character" claim is unwarranted. It's so convenient to cite 'baggage' if you don't like a prospect to support a position. Obviously when something happens, a flag goes up. I'm not denying that. But when the flag goes up, it's a team's responsibility to investigate. Do that, before lazily writing off a prospect as having 'baggage.'

Quote:
"They put me on an academic schedule, telling me that if I did everything they asked me to do, I'd be ready for the '07 season.

"In the summer I met with the dean of my school and he told me I needed to take two classes to be eligible and in reality I needed three. My coaches were furious. I've never seen them that mad before. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. It was a tough time for me."

Raji did everything he had to do to be eligible according to their dean, but was still ineligible because of a clerical error. Still he takes responsibility for it. And on the contrary to what people may wrongfully conclude, it afforded him the opportunity to demonstrate great character.

Quote:
"I went to my locker and I took everything off," said Raji. "I was just sitting there and Matt Ryan and Gosder Cherilus came up and were like, 'Hey, man, you got to get ready to go. We're going to be late.' I was like, 'Man, I can't play,' and I just broke down in tears. In that moment, I decided that I wouldn't let that defeat me. I would get back on the horse, get my body ready and my mind right, and come back in '08 and do the best I can."

I think if anyone was ruled ineligible, it would make sense to just enter the draft. Instead Raji, worked hard to come back. He was the consummate team player, practicing hard with his team mates even if he couldn't play in real games. So when he finally got back on the field, he could be relentless and just dominate. Don't tell me that's something Shaun Rogers would do.

Quote:
The scout said the academic slipup shouldn't damage Raji's draft stock, pointing out BC's high academic standards.

"The only reason I'd see him falling to the second round would be because there was something else for missing a year or character concerns," said the scout. "That would be the only reason why I would see him not being a first-rounder."

Could you really fault him for someone else's mistakes? He got himself into the situation for sure, but he could have just moved on and entered the NFL draft. It takes great character to stick it out with the desire to finish his college career the right way.

March 21st, 2009, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

It's not just the academics it's also that he didn't play at a consistant high level until this past season when he had something to prove after being academically ineligible. He had weight issues in the past and the question has to be asked whether he will maintain his weight once he gets that big contract. He also has shown maturity concerns in the past when he threw a punch at another player. So before we jump on our high horse let's get all the information ourselves.

March 21st, 2009, 3:52 pm
NFL Veteran

Wow, why are you picking him so high then?

These concerns were allayed a long time ago, which is why he's getting the high grades he's getting. If you're still stuck on them, why are you picking him if you're so down on him?

March 21st, 2009, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW

I wasn't so down on him that I wouldn't take him I was just pointing out the concerns and why I wouldn' take him #1. At #1 I wouldn't draft him out of fear of him becoming a Shaun Rogers. He also wasn't my first choice in this situation. I'd take either QB at #6 if that trade were to happen if one or both were available. I'd rather have Hood added to the DT rotation now that they've picked up Jackson.

I'd gamble on him at #6 however with that additional 2nd rounder added as buffer if he does regress to being an underachiever. It's not just Raji however, I'm not a big fan of most of the top draft picks at #1 they just aren't jumping out at me like players have in the past.

March 21st, 2009, 4:45 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

liontrax wrote:
1- Curry

20- Percy Harvin

33- Trade back for later 2nd and a late 3rd

Late 2nd aquired in trade- Jared Cook TE

65- Darcel McBath S

82- Jaron Gilbert DT/DE or Lawrence Sidbury DE

Late 3rd aquired in trade- T. J. Lang OG

160- Sammie Lee Hill DT

179- Andrew Gardner OT

The pick of Harvin at 20 fills a lot of needs, 3rd RB, 3rd WR/slot, KR/PR. I felt he was the most dynamic player on the field at the BCS championship game.

No offense, but do your really think the need for a 3rd WR/3rd RB trumps the need for O-line or D-line help?

No, I just think Harvin is special talent and could help the Lions in many ways. I addressed the OL and DL in the later rounds. You don't have to be a 1st round pick to play. And besides this is supposed to be my ideal draft, not what I think the Lions will do.

March 21st, 2009, 10:39 pm
Walk On

But Percy is st... st... st... stupid! :lol:

Quote:
Percy Harvin of Florida scored 12 (on the Wonderlic, 10 = literate) and Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina scored 11. The test result is particularly interesting in the case of Harvin, who will have more learning to do than the others based on the offense he played in at Florida and the fact he could be used in multiple roles. Jeremy Maclin of Missouri was outstanding by comparison with a 25 test score.

-ILMP

March 21st, 2009, 10:46 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

But Percy is st... st... st... stupid! :lol:

Quote:
Percy Harvin of Florida scored 12 (on the Wonderlic, 10 = literate) and Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina scored 11. The test result is particularly interesting in the case of Harvin, who will have more learning to do than the others based on the offense he played in at Florida and the fact he could be used in multiple roles. Jeremy Maclin of Missouri was outstanding by comparison with a 25 test score.

-ILMP

True, he may not have scored well on a test that has nothing to do with carying a football. But what I see on game day is him making opposing defenses look stupid.

March 21st, 2009, 10:54 pm
Walk On

Yeah, I posted that, because it was fresh in my mind. I just read over the Wonderlic results and :shock:

Intelligence could factor into route running when routes are dependent upon the QB and WR making the right read... but in general- dude runs route and either gets separation or he doesn't. A stupid, speedy playmaker is still a speedy playmaker. There are positions where a 12 would be a deal breaker. WR is NOT one of them.

-ILMP

March 21st, 2009, 11:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't believe scouts put much stock into the Wonderlic.

March 23rd, 2009, 12:54 am
RIP Killer

March 23rd, 2009, 1:09 am
QB Coach

1(1) Aaron Curry MLB On board with him as the first pick, doubt it's gonna happen but he would fill out our LB corps.

1(20) Michael Oher LT I doubt he lasts this long but this is the "ideal draft" thread, so it would be ideal for teams like Washington at 13, SD at 16 and Chicago at 18 to pass on him.

2(33) Ron Brace DT Originally I thought we could nab him in the third round. If we are able to trade down into the middle of round two and get him that would represent better value for this pick. But as I'm too lazy to research a trade partner right now I'll have us take him here.

3(65) Victor Harris CB I've talked about him a lot already. Speedy ball hawk will bring some swagger to our secondary. If we don't take Macho, Kevin Barns from Maryland would be a good pick with #82.

3(82) Derrick Williams WR/KR/PR Can fill in as a slot WR and a return man. Probably gone before here but he could slip.

That leaves us with 174, 192 and 255 to try to hit on late round guy who turns into a stud. Honestly don't know about late round prospects right now.

March 27th, 2009, 11:09 am
RIP Killer

Here's my second go at this:

1(1) Aaron Curry MLB On board with him as the first pick, doubt it's gonna happen but he would fill out our LB corps.

Still the guy I want first overall
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
1(20) Michael Oher LT I doubt he lasts this long but this is the "ideal draft" thread, so it would be ideal for teams like Washington at 13, SD at 16 and Chicago at 18 to pass on him.

I don't think he falls this far, but if he's there and we didn't go Smith or Monroe, definitely a value pick

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
2(33) Ron Brace DT Originally I thought we could nab him in the third round. If we are able to trade down into the middle of round two and get him that would represent better value for this pick. But as I'm too lazy to research a trade partner right now I'll have us take him here.

Sorry, but I don't understand the love for this guy. He's big, but not athletic at all. While I would like to beef up our interior, I'd rather not pork it up. This is a huge reach, in my opinion. If Evander Hood is still on the board, I'd prefer him. If he's gone, then go with a corner like Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
3(65) Victor Harris CB I've talked about him a lot already. Speedy ball hawk will bring some swagger to our secondary. If we don't take Macho, Kevin Barns from Maryland would be a good pick with #82.

I like this guy too. If we haven't addressed corner yet, I'd take him. But only if Keenan Lewis and Jairus Byrd are gone.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
3(82) Derrick Williams WR/KR/PR Can fill in as a slot WR and a return man. Probably gone before here but he could slip.

Sorry, but too early for someone you want as a KR/PR. Williams showed questionable speed at the combine, but improved it at his pro day. I think we can find someone in this draft that can pull return duties later in the draft.

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
That leaves us with 174, 192 and 255 to try to hit on late round guy who turns into a stud. Honestly don't know about late round prospects right now.

Later round prospects include;

Sammie Lee Hill - DT
Joe Burnett - CB (can be a kick returner)
Dominique Johnson - CB (world class sprinter who can catch the ball)
Johnny Knox - WR (really good speed and explodes out of cuts)
Lardarius Webb - CB (small school guy who worked out very well)
Lydon Murtha - OT (the most athletic lineman at the Combine)
Jason Phillips - ILB (easily a 3rd rounder if not for the knee injury)
John Parker Wilson - QB (worked out well and surprised scouts with arm strength)

March 27th, 2009, 6:43 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

1-OL-Michael Oher-Defense is the priority but Oher is to good to pass at this point landing two cornerstones to our franchise in one draft.

2-FS Louis Delmas-Active saftey who fills a big hole

3-DL Chris Baker-Baker could be a steal at this point

3-ILB Jasper Brinkley-Brinkley is the thumper we need

6-WR Deon Butler-Butler is my favorite WR prospect in this draft. He will make the football world regret passing on him.

6-CB Christopher Owens-A good player who was overshadowed by his fellow CB Francis

1-Carlos Dunlap

March 28th, 2009, 2:14 am
Cheerleader

Here is who I think we pick based upon who should most likely be available at that position...

1.a. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia - I hope it is Jason Smith OT Baylor instead and that we grab a QB next year. I hope this guy has a great pro career, but it scares me to grab an underachieving 3rd year QB at #1.

1.b. Robert Ayers DE Tennesee - If this guy drops I will totally freak. Absolutely dominated Andre Smith and Micheal Oher in one on one drills at the senior bowl. Crashes hard inside, runs to the ball and plays hard. Tremendous versatility and ability to play anywhere along the line. I have heard several people state that they feel he could end up being the best defensive player of this draft...

2. James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State _ I would rather have Clay Matthews out of this draft than any other LB other than Curry. I feel that Laurinaitis will be available, and end up being a superb pro ala Chris Speilman...Great coverage skills and always has a feel for the quarterback and shows a good feel for zones. A balll hawk and a tackling machine.

3.a. Ricky Jean-Francois DT LSU - I thought he would end up being a first round pick following his superb showing in the national title game in 07/08. I think he will be a terrific pro if he can stay motivated. I do not think that will be a problem.

3.b. James Casey TE Rice - Quite possibly an Antonio Gates in the making. Has a great feel for the passing game. Naturally instinctive - finds open areas in coverage, runs through catches and shows some playmaking ability. Great body control and leaping ability. Terrific hand-eye coordination, focus and concentration. Very good ball skills. Great character and work ethic - takes the game seriously and really works at his craft. Great upper body strength - tied for tops among TE's in bench press. Played in a spread offense and was seldom asked to block.

6.a. Jarrett Dillard WR Rice - Naturally athletic. Phenomenal hands and great body control to adjust to the ball and make the difficult catch. Outstanding red zone production and very good concentration. Lacks top-end speed.

6.b. Greg Toler CB D-II St. Paul - Small School sleeper than may be in the mold of a Rodgers-Chromarte. Good size, hands and ball skills. Plays the ball like a reciever and attacks it in the air. Stood out in postseason all-star competition and competes. Raw athelete. Needs to get stronger. Has intreguing tools to develop.

7. Terrance Taylor DT Michigan or Myron Pryor DT Kentucky - one of these two will threaten to be an undrafted free agent. Both have shown flashes of being first round talents at different times during their collage career.

I have a feeling we may be able to trade out of #1 if we get Stafford to agree to a contract that does not break the bank. I do not believe the rumors of a contract in place on the basis that this year they are not allowed to sign a 6-year deal. A 5 year deal with 30 million guaranteed might catch the eye of Seattle who have wet-dreams of Stafford, and would allow us to potentially rape Denver for picks as well in a trade up to #4. I can dream, can't i???

Go Lions!!!

April 15th, 2009, 2:19 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next