View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 1:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1. 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7371
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1.
Matt Stafford was on Moving the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio today. He told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan that he wants to be a Lion because he enjoys a good challenge. A major reason that I have been so against drafting any QB this year is because of how much pressure would be on him with this pathetic team around him. But, he sounds pretty mature and mentally strong. So, while I won't be thrilled with picking any QB this year, I wouldn't be upset with taking him either.


January 30th, 2009, 2:48 am
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
I think he wants to be a lion, because that means he will have the largest contract.

I sincerely don't want him. But I do try to prepare for the day that they will draft him. I even watch the pretty highlights that showcase the few times he looks good.

But then, to put it all in perspective I keep showing myself this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMMXpgxPSY

He sucked in big games. Looked good against inferior opponents. Do you really want that?

But there's that possibility that they do draft him, and I'm just trying to come to terms with it now before it happens.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 30th, 2009, 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1.
BillySims wrote:
Matt Stafford was on Moving the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio today. He told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan that he wants to be a Lion because he enjoys a good challenge. A major reason that I have been so against drafting any QB this year is because of how much pressure would be on him with this pathetic team around him. But, he sounds pretty mature and mentally strong. So, while I won't be thrilled with picking any QB this year, I wouldn't be upset with taking him either.


Eventually (and that could mean another 50 years) - y'all will come around on your thinking about drafting a QB in the first round...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 30th, 2009, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7371
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
1 side benefit to picking him:
It will be at least 3 years before every draft "GURU" insists that we pick a QB again. Like they have been insisting on since Joey Harringtons last season here.

But, besides that:
He is very well spoken and sounds intelligent, confident, and mentally strong.
Mental Strength is probably the #1 trait a QB for the Lions needs to have.


January 30th, 2009, 10:30 am
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: March 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Posts: 805
Location: Burbs of De-town
Post 
I don't care if Stafford starts playing "Forward down the field" on a dam cello. In other words, he can toot his own horn all he wants just as long as the Lion's brass isn't listening.

A qb in the first round of this year just doesn't make any sense. Period.


January 30th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 10:34 am
Posts: 1427
Post Re: I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1.
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Matt Stafford was on Moving the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio today. He told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan that he wants to be a Lion because he enjoys a good challenge. A major reason that I have been so against drafting any QB this year is because of how much pressure would be on him with this pathetic team around him. But, he sounds pretty mature and mentally strong. So, while I won't be thrilled with picking any QB this year, I wouldn't be upset with taking him either.


Eventually (and that could mean another 50 years) - y'all will come around on your thinking about drafting a QB in the first round...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:



Pablo,

I think that there is a difference between choosing to draft a QB in the 1st round for the HOPE that he can be a franchise QB..... and choosing to draft a QB in the 1st round that you BELIEVE is franchise QB.

I remember there was a BIG debate about this in 2007 when JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn came out. Some people felt that Russell's physical tools justified using the #2 pick on him IF he had slid past the Raiders. I didn't like him then, and I still don't believe he will be a franchise QB because he has done little to show that he understands coverages.

In 2005..... there was talk before the draft of the Lions drafting Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers if either of them "slid" to the #10 pick. I was totally against drafting either of them, because I didn't believe either was a good bet to become a franchise caliber QB. Rodgers looks like he may prove me wrong, but he is not there yet.

In 2002.... there was Joey! I thought the Lions were smokescreening when the reports came out that they were going totake him #3 overall. I remember sitting in front of my T.V. in total disbelief that they reached for him. I also didn't understand what anybody saw in David Carr as a #1 overall pick. They both had issues with accuracy in COLLEGE.... so it certainly can't be a big surprise that it didn't improve at the NFL level.


My point here is simple....

There is NOT a franchise caliber QB in every draft.

In fact, there are VERY FEW actual franchise caliber QBs in the NFL that are drafted by their original team in round 1 that go on to become legit pro-bowl caliber QBs.

In the SALARY CAP ERA..... or about the last 15 drafts

Steve McNair
Peyton Manning
Donovan McNabb
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Jay Cutler


still too young to judge.....

Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Matt Leinart
Russell
Matt Ryan


I was COMPLETELY fine with drafting a QB in 2004 or 2006..... because I thought there were franchise-caliber QBs in those drafts.

Of course...... we really couldn't afford to take a QB in 2004 because we were still paying the WRONG QB a lot of money while Joey was here.


The KEY isn't to rush to draft a QB..... but it is more IMPORTANT to draft the RIGHT QB!!!

Many people here.... and many of the "gurus".... just really aren't convinced that Stafford has a good chance to become a great NFL QB.

If I thought Stafford was near the level of a prospect that Peyton, Carson Palmer, or even Jay Cutler was when they were coming out... then I would be in favor of drafting him.


January 30th, 2009, 2:17 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
For every "guru" who says Stafford isn't a franchise QB there is one who says he is. I personally believe he will be a franchise QB. He has a big arm and although sometimes has made some bad throws he is accurate. The offensive line he played behind this year was the college version of the lions OL. Green showed promise as a rookie WR but he admited he ran the rwrong routes allot and that Stafford either bailed him out or looked bad becuase of his errors. Massaquoi had his best year to date but how much of that is thanks to Stafford. The only way we will know for sure about Stafford is 3 years from not most likely.


January 30th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
BillySims wrote:
But, besides that:
He is very well spoken and sounds intelligent, confident, and mentally strong.
Mental Strength is probably the #1 trait a QB for the Lions needs to have.


Sounds like Joey Harrington.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 30th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1.
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Matt Stafford was on Moving the Chains on Sirius NFL Radio today. He told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan that he wants to be a Lion because he enjoys a good challenge. A major reason that I have been so against drafting any QB this year is because of how much pressure would be on him with this pathetic team around him. But, he sounds pretty mature and mentally strong. So, while I won't be thrilled with picking any QB this year, I wouldn't be upset with taking him either.


Eventually (and that could mean another 50 years) - y'all will come around on your thinking about drafting a QB in the first round...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


I'll be honest, I have started watching youtubes on him and i do not dislike him as much as I did a week ago. I could very well change my mind depending on FA. Time will tell... I would hate to miss out on a franchise QB, I just do not know if it is him.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 30th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: I can't believe this. I have changed my mind about #1.
phunnypharm wrote:
Pablo,

I think that there is a difference between choosing to draft a QB in the 1st round for the HOPE that he can be a franchise QB..... and choosing to draft a QB in the 1st round that you BELIEVE is franchise QB.

I remember there was a BIG debate about this in 2007 when JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn came out. Some people felt that Russell's physical tools justified using the #2 pick on him IF he had slid past the Raiders. I didn't like him then, and I still don't believe he will be a franchise QB because he has done little to show that he understands coverages.

In 2005..... there was talk before the draft of the Lions drafting Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers if either of them "slid" to the #10 pick. I was totally against drafting either of them, because I didn't believe either was a good bet to become a franchise caliber QB. Rodgers looks like he may prove me wrong, but he is not there yet.

In 2002.... there was Joey! I thought the Lions were smokescreening when the reports came out that they were going totake him #3 overall. I remember sitting in front of my T.V. in total disbelief that they reached for him. I also didn't understand what anybody saw in David Carr as a #1 overall pick. They both had issues with accuracy in COLLEGE.... so it certainly can't be a big surprise that it didn't improve at the NFL level.


My point here is simple....

There is NOT a franchise caliber QB in every draft.

In fact, there are VERY FEW actual franchise caliber QBs in the NFL that are drafted by their original team in round 1 that go on to become legit pro-bowl caliber QBs.

In the SALARY CAP ERA..... or about the last 15 drafts

Steve McNair
Peyton Manning
Donovan McNabb
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger
Jay Cutler


still too young to judge.....

Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Matt Leinart
Russell
Matt Ryan


I was COMPLETELY fine with drafting a QB in 2004 or 2006..... because I thought there were franchise-caliber QBs in those drafts.

Of course...... we really couldn't afford to take a QB in 2004 because we were still paying the WRONG QB a lot of money while Joey was here.


The KEY isn't to rush to draft a QB..... but it is more IMPORTANT to draft the RIGHT QB!!!

Many people here.... and many of the "gurus".... just really aren't convinced that Stafford has a good chance to become a great NFL QB.

If I thought Stafford was near the level of a prospect that Peyton, Carson Palmer, or even Jay Cutler was when they were coming out... then I would be in favor of drafting him.


First, I didn't say Stafford was they guy. Second, I didn't say this was "the year" to draft a QB in the first year.

However, I could reverse your argument just as easily. The foremost "franchise quarterback" you listed was Peyton Manning and if you remember that draft there was a lot of debate if he was even better than Ryan Leaf.

There is no such thing as a "sure fire" "franchise quarterback". I could poke holes at Stafford or Sanchez this year, or Bradford or McCoy next year. In fact, I could poke holes at every QB on your list above when they came out of college. The one who had the least holes was probably Carson Palmer.

BUT, I can also point holes at every LT in the draft - is Andre Smith better than Jason Smith, better than Michael Oher, better than Eugene Monroe? And are the Lions really ready to get rid of Backus - I don't believe they are (as much as I can't stand him). Same thing with Curry (who is an OLB that everyone on this board seems to think can make an easy transition to MLB in the NFL). Crabtree looks like a pretty sure bet but he is a WR. If the Lions are going to take a "chance" on someone with the first overall pick, might as well be at the most critical position on the field (by far).

Looking back, I can tell you that the Lions would be in far better shape now if they drafted a QB with their first pick of every draft this century. At least they would have a signal caller to work around.

You have 8 franchise QBs listed over the last 15 years, or one every other draft. If that is true you can say either we are due after Harrington or that we should take one this year and another next year to improve our odds...

I'm not totally sold on Stafford yet. I'm not sure he is better than Sanchez at this point. I have more evaluation to do. But I do agree with Stallion's assessment of him and therefore feel we need to give plenty of consideration in selecting him. BTW - I compare him with Cutler in many ways who played under similar circumstances at Vandy.

But just don't take my word for it...

NFL Countdown wrote:
1. DETROIT LIONS: MATTHEW STAFFORD, QB, GEORGIA

After another gut-wrenching season the Lions are entering yet another rebuilding era. On the bright side at least there will at least be some real change this time around, with both GM Matt Millen and Head Coach Rod Marinelli being handed their walking papers. Detroit has a plethora of needs, which is why they have the #1 overall pick, but quarterback has to take precedence over everything else. I have always maintained that the "Golden Rule of the NFL Draft" is unless you already have a franchise quarterback you don't pass on one. The Lions don't have anything even closely resembling a franchise signal caller. Matthew Stafford truly is the total package with all the physical tools you look for, including one of the strongest arms in all of football, and top-notch intangibles to boot. There are no sure things in the NFL Draft, especially when it comes to quarterbacks, but Stafford is potentially the type of guy you can build a team around. The other main option for Detroit here would probably be a left tackle and either Eugene Monroe or Andre Smith could be awfully tempting. Don't completely rule out Aaron Curry either because he is exactly the type of impact performer that their front seven so desperately needs. However, at the end of the day it's quarterbacks that separate the good teams from the bad teams.


Walter Football wrote:
1. Detroit Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
JAN. 28 UPDATE: Matt McGuire said it best on one of his radio appearances this weekend: "Pre-order your Stafford jerseys, Lions fans." With no consensus No. 1 tackle and a new regime in town, this will be a quarterback.

How about trading down? I've received a few e-mails about this, but it's not happening. First of all, it takes way too many resources to move up to the top selection. And second, given the economy we're in, no owner wants to pay an obscene amount of money to an unproven player.

JAN. 22 UPDATE: No surprise, but I still have Matt Stafford No. 1. I received an e-mail or two asking why I don't have Mark Sanchez going first. Matt McGuire did a great job explaining this in his blog. Stafford's arm is much more powerful than Sanchez's, so he presents the Lions with more upside. Also, Stafford has much more starting experience than Sanchez. After going 0-16, the Lions can't afford to whiff here, and taking a signal caller with one real year of starting experience is really risky.

JAN. 15 UPDATE: With Sam Bradford electing to come back for his redshirt junior season at Oklahoma, the Lions might as well begin printing up Matt Stafford jerseys. Stafford's a near-lock to be chosen first overall.

DEC. 25 UPDATE: Despite numerous e-mails from Lions fans insisting that the correct course of action would be drafting an offensive tackle, I'm still calling for a quarterback. Detroit needs a face for their franchise. They can't get a quarterback with Dallas' selection, but they'll be able to grab a tackle with that pick.

Also, Lions owner William Darth Clay Sidious Ford doesn't really care about winning. He just wants money. What brings in more money than a rookie signal caller? Everyone in Detroit will be lining up to buy the new Matt Stafford jersey, especially if he appears to be as promising as Matt Ryan.

PREVIOUS UPDATES: I'm not saying a left tackle isn't a possibility, but like the Falcons last year, the Lions need a face for their franchise. Right now, that face is Matt Millen, even though he was fired a few months ago. When people think about the Detroit franchise, they think about how Millen helped ruin it.

The Lions can get a quality tackle with Dallas' choice or in the No. 33 slot. Assuming most of the junior quarterbacks remain in school, they won't have the chance to secure a top-rated signal-caller in the 2009 NFL Draft.


Condraft wrote:
1. Matt Stafford (QB, Georgia)
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a new man in at #1 in this mock and that man is Matt Stafford, the junior QB from Georgia. Now, I know the Lions have so many holes but I believe that with a new, defensive-minded Head Coach that they will adopt the Mike Smith Theory -- belief in their own coaching ability and draft to improve the other side of the ball. Plus, the Falcons showed what can be done with a young franchise QB, so the Lions take the only one who could, potentially, start in his first year in the NFL with this pick.


Draft King wrote:
1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia ~
The debate is underway on what philosophy the Lions should use in this position. The Lions have a number of options at this spot: take a franchise QB, choose from its pick of the strong offensive tackle class, or take the best player defensive player available. Remember: the Lions have only used one first-round pick on a defensive player since 1999.
With Sam Bradford deciding to return to Oklahoma for his redshirt junior season, it appears that if the Lions are going to take a QB at #1, the quarterback taken would be Stafford.


the Football Expert wrote:
1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
This team is a total mess, and may very well be known as the worst team of all time. The best way to fix it is a complete image makeover, and what better way than with a franchise quarterback. Stafford looks to be competing with Mark Sanchez as the top QB in the draft. The Lions received another first round pick with the Roy Williams' trade, and look for them to assess the LT, DE, or LB position with that pick. The NFL is a copycat league. If I were the Lions I would copy exactly what the Falcons did last year: take the QB and then the LT. We have done a poll on our site, and the results have been extremely close between Stafford and OT Andre Smith. Critics against Stafford, mention that no quarterback can succeed without an offensive line. I totally agree with that statement, but also agree if you have a need at quarterback and you have a chance to draft a franchise quarterback, you must do it. Solid offensive line can be added later in the draft, but there are not too many quarterbacks that are considered "franchise" worthy.


I could go on, and on, and on. Maybe everyone not emotionally tied to the Lions understand something we don't - the unique importance of finding a franchise QB. Or maybe, since nobody around here has ever seen one in a Lions uniform we just can't grasp the true importance.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 30th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: January 7th, 2009, 1:53 am
Posts: 83
Post 
I love it!!! Everyone will eventually get their heads on straight and wanna go with Stafford like i have been saying since week 7. Everyone overlooks his running ability too. He is able to open the field wide open by passing then take a QB Draw for a first down.He is a very Impressive Potential Franchise QB.


January 30th, 2009, 8:06 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
Nope, not impressed. If he went back one more year and out played all the other prospects, with a 65% accuracy, 3:1 TD/INT ratio in his senior year, I'd be all over him. Fact is, his bustability factor is very very high at this point.

You've gotta get your mind out of that fantasy world where everyone will be blowing Stafford so hard, that Lion-nation will collectively climax when he's announced the pick. It will be a divided nation. Nope, he will never be unanimously accepted, not this year. Maybe if he waited one more year. But if he's drafted, he will have to earn it from all the skeptics. Myself included.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 31st, 2009, 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post 
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
I think he wants to be a lion, because that means he will have the largest contract.

I sincerely don't want him. But I do try to prepare for the day that they will draft him. I even watch the pretty highlights that showcase the few times he looks good.

But then, to put it all in perspective I keep showing myself this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMMXpgxPSY

He sucked in big games. Looked good against inferior opponents. Do you really want that?

But there's that possibility that they do draft him, and I'm just trying to come to terms with it now before it happens.


Let me ease your mind... The first one is the very definition of a HORRIBLE route (by a freshman receiver) and that is why it was intercepted... Had Green squared off his route properly that ball would have been right on the money...

The second one was his fault for not checking the underneath coverage...

The third one
Quote:
hit his receiver in the chest
and bounced up to get intercepted...

You also didn't mention the first drive of that game where
Quote:
he had 3 TD passes dropped by WRs...
You forgot to mention that the kicker missed 2 FGs early... UGA could have easily had the lead going into the 4th Qtr of that game, thanks only to their defense and Stafford... Moreno did nothing... Oh and you forgot to mention that he got drilled just about every time he dropped back...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So take those 2 away (plus there were others that weren't his fault this season) and you've got 22 TDs to 7 INTs... Thats a 3:1 TD to INT ratio like you want right? There were others by the way... Check out the TEN game for 2 more... (There were also more dropped TDs)

So you want a 65% completion percentage on top of that huh? You know if you went by that standard you would have passed over: Tom Brady, both Mannings, McNabb, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Carson Palmer? 60% over the last 2 years of play is a good bench mark...

Most QBs with that high of a comp. % came from smaller schools and played against lesser talent... The ones on the top level likely came from spread offenses... Want to know how those translate to the NFL? Ask Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Tommy Chang or this year Grahm Harrell...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think QBs bust more than any other position at the top of the draft? You think it is easier to find a QB later in the draft?

http://www.ourlads.com/dayone.cfm

Wrong... Somebody show me a 32 slot place in the draft where more good NFL QBs come out of?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know that Stafford is either on the level or better than the latest SEC QBs to have success in the NFL? I'm talking both Mannings and Cutler... Junior to Junior he is on pace with them... Did you know he has more come from behind wins than any of the other major conference QBs this year?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want to win CONSISTENTLY in the NFL? You get yourself a franchise QB... The most consistent teams in the NFL this decade are the Eagles, Patriots, Chargers, Colts and Packers... Look at who their QBs are or were... Look at the Giants since Eli has taken over... They were a mess since their SB losing season... Since Eli has taken over they haven't had 1 losing season... You look at any of the dynasties, they all had good QBs... That is consistency...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People want a College QB to look like a pro QB so they can feel good about the pick... They all want "the next Peyton"... Well Peyton wasn't considered a lock either... There is no such thing... Like Pablo said you can punch a hole in all of their games... You want proof? Here are some comparisons between Stafford and some of the current greats:

Peyton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cl-Fm11tKE

Brady (this brought a tear to my eye... Oh how far we've fallen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiOo...eature=related

Palmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjWbTRc_VA

Stafford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2nVL...eature=related

Ryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7gb...eature=related

How does Stafford stand up in comparison? Get the point?

Sorry about the long post... Just kind of had all that bubbling up in my head...


Last edited by Murtyle on January 31st, 2009, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



January 31st, 2009, 2:32 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2281
Post 
I heard a few years back a Rule of Trying to translate college Success to NFL Success.

It said by Far the 2 Biggest Indicators (looking at past successes) were:

#1 - College Starts - Experience is Key .. Rarely do 1 Hit wonders Succeed.

#2 - Accuracy - Not just how Accurate they were their final Season , but How their Accuracy Tracked over their Years in College.

On #1 , Matt has the experience. Although he has not played as well in big games, that is as much a factor of the talent arround him being overwhelmed as it is potentially him having issues with "the big one". This year they were WAY overrated based on how they performed the previous year (ended the season Destroying Hawaii in a bowl game). Because of that expectations were high and they played a tough Schedule.

On #2 - Here is the info
YEAR CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD INT RAT
2006 135 256 52.7 1749 6.8 7 13 108.99
2007 194 348 55.7 2523 7.3 19 10 128.92
2008 235 383 61.4 3459 9.0 25 10 153.54

The Positive: He got Better each Season which Points tiowards him continuing in that trend. In his final 2 Seasons as a Full time starter he Averaged 2.15:1 TD:Int Ratio. The Good Qbs Maintain 2+ Over the Length of their Careers. He has a Great Arm. He played ata Semi-Big school in the SEC. He has decent Mobility which is much more important in the Pros based on the Speed/Strength of Defenders.

The Negative: In his BEST Season (final) he did not play well in the big games. More Importantly he BARELY broke 60% Completions. Based on the Trend I mentioned at the top of this thread, most Successul QBs from recent drafts (Last decade) averaged about 60% For their Careers and usually Finished Upwards of 63% in thier final year. It is possible even with Time and good direction in the Pros that Matt will never be that accurate of a Passer.

My Current Opinion based on this Analysis:

Although I am not a fan of drafting Stafford, it is not based out of a belief he is going to fail, merely (sp?) a fear of the posibility of failure. IF We pick him, and it doesnt work out, it WILl Set the team (and QB Position) back at least 2 Years, if not more, as He Will not (and should not) be rushed so its not like we would know if he is the one by the end of this season. I could see that potential failure derailing the entire Schwartz/Linehan/Cunningham Setup and keep us in the basement of the NFL. That said, if you never put in your quarter and pull the lever, you will never hit the jackpot.

I liked both Leinart and Cutler more coming out and Id say Cutler (Similar stats to Stafford) is going to be solid and Leinart may still prove to be. Stafford is not a "Can't Miss" prospect IMO which makes it hard at #1 (but Not #3-7 if we traded down)... So I just don't know what to think.

Here are some Recent QB Successes College Stats to back me up. Make of it what you will. In the end we all have to Pray Mayhew/Schwartz know WTF thwey are doing or it doesnt matter what the fans want or think.

Peyton Manning:
Year Att Cmp Cmp% Yds INT TD's
1994 144 89 61.8 1141 6 11
1995 380 244 64.2 2954 4 22
1996 380 243 63.9 3287 12 20
1997 477 287 60.3 3819 11 37
Total 1354 851 62.8 11201 33 90*

Phillip Rivers
Year 5 Cmp Att Yds TD Int Cmp%
2000 237 441 3054 25 10 53.7
2001 240 369 2586 16 7 65
2002 262 418 3353 20 10 62.7
2003 348 483 4491 34 7 72
Totals 1087 1711 13484 95 34 63.5

Carson Palmer
Year Cmp Att Yds TD Int Cmp%
2000 228 415 2914 16 18 54.9
2001 206 351 2567 13 12 58.7
2002 309 489 3942 33 10 63.2
743 1255 9423 62 40 59.2


January 31st, 2009, 3:27 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post 
Quote:
#1 - College Starts - Experience is Key .. Rarely do 1 Hit wonders Succeed.

#2 - Accuracy - Not just how Accurate they were their final Season , but How their Accuracy Tracked over their Years in College.


This is exactly the basis for me not falling head over heels for this prospect. Not once have I stated that he will be a bust. Rather I simply have an incomplete grade for him. I wish he went back to school for a year. He has had one good year, and he's still a junior. That's as close to being a one-hit-wonder as you can. I mean he's not, so I'm not writing him off. Like I said, at this point, an incomplete grade just does not sell me.

Not counting Redshirt Juniors Here's a list of all your early entry QB's since 2000.

Michael Vick
Rex Grossman
Aaron Rodgers
Jamarcus Russell

Not very comforting is it. Three busts. One incomplete. I can't underline the importance of college development enough.

The two RS Juniors were Ben Roethlisberger and Vince Young. At least they've had that extended development. And they were college seniors by the time they left.

If they do draft him, they've gotta go the Aaron Rodgers route and sit him a year or two. That's huge money if we make him no.1. At least Rodgers was a late first rounder. We'll be forced to rush his development in an incomplete team.. and that's just setting him up for failure. It just makes more sense to prepare the team for a QB this year, and grab your franchise QB in what looks to be a deep QB draft next year.

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 31st, 2009, 5:11 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.