View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 ***OFFICIAL 2009 Combine Thread*** 
QB Coach

ANDRE SMITH WENT AWOL?
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 21, 2009, 11:36 a.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith was nowhere to be found this morning at the NFL scouting combine, leaving the facilities in Indianapolis, Tony Pauline of SI.com reports.

Per Pauline, Smith was eventually located after a “search party” was engaged to find the massive first-round prospect. Apparently, no scouting combine officials knew where Smith went and scrambled around to find him.

Now, Smith and his agent apparently aren’t on the same page as to the reason why Smith was absent without leave from the combine and are telling different stories.

For Smith, who fielded several questions from reporters and undoubtedly from teams upon his arrival in Indianapolis about his suspension for the Crimson Tide’s bowl game stemming from a violation of team rules, this kind of sketchy behavior obviously isn’t the way to impress future employers.

If it turns out to be something innocuous, NFL teams won’t make too big a deal out of it given Smith’s big-time potential.

UPDATE: Smith, who isn’t working out at the combine because he’s admittedly not in shape, just got ripped big-time by NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock.

“I’m dropping him down on my list,” Mayock said. “You don’t show up in shape for the biggest job interview of your life. You don’t lift. You don’t run. You don’t show up. It’s the worst thing you can do. How can you not show up in shape for this?”

Does this guy care about his draft stock? I never wanted him here but now this should slam even the tiniest window of taking him. He shows up outta shape then wanders off. Sounds like hes really ready for a big NFL contract. :roll:

February 21st, 2009, 1:49 pm
1st Round Pick

Quote:
ANDRE SMITH WENT AWOL?
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 21, 2009, 11:36 a.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith was nowhere to be found this morning at the NFL scouting combine, leaving the facilities in Indianapolis, Tony Pauline of SI.com reports.

Per Pauline, Smith was eventually located after a “search party” was engaged to find the massive first-round prospect. Apparently, no scouting combine officials knew where Smith went and scrambled around to find him.

Now, Smith and his agent apparently aren’t on the same page as to the reason why Smith was absent without leave from the combine and are telling different stories.

For Smith, who fielded several questions from reporters and undoubtedly from teams upon his arrival in Indianapolis about his suspension for the Crimson Tide’s bowl game stemming from a violation of team rules, this kind of sketchy behavior obviously isn’t the way to impress future employers.

If it turns out to be something innocuous, NFL teams won’t make too big a deal out of it given Smith’s big-time potential.

UPDATE: Smith, who isn’t working out at the combine because he’s admittedly not in shape, just got ripped big-time by NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock.

“I’m dropping him down on my list,” Mayock said. “You don’t show up in shape for the biggest job interview of your life. You don’t lift. You don’t run. You don’t show up. It’s the worst thing you can do. How can you not show up in shape for this?”

Does this guy care about his draft stock? I never wanted him here but now this should slam even the tiniest window of taking him. He shows up outta shape then wanders off. Sounds like hes really ready for a big NFL contract. :roll:

sounds like the dude may be bi polar, we had a DE like that before in Alonzo spellman we did weird things. I say we avoid this guy.

February 21st, 2009, 3:40 pm
NFL Veteran

South Carolina TE Jared Cook had a huge eye opening day.

4.5 40
10' 3" Broad jump
41" Vertical
23 Bench (2nd lowest)

He helped himself today demonstrating he was the most athletic TE prospect.

To put that in perspective here's Pettigrew's #'s
4.82 40
33" Vert
9' 10" Broad jump
22 Bench (lowest)
___

In other news, Crabtree has a foot fracture. It will require surgery so he won't participate here or be healed in time to have a pro-day. This hurts the lions for any possibility there may have been for teams to leap frog to take him no.1 overall.

February 21st, 2009, 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Cook pulled his hammy in the 40, so skipped the guantlet afterwards, where Pettigrew looked smooth.

Cook helped himself alot, Pettigrew solidified his spot.

February 21st, 2009, 4:26 pm

South Carolina TE Jared Cook had a huge eye opening day.

4.5 40
10' 3" Broad jump
41" Vertical
23 Bench (2nd lowest)

He helped himself today demonstrating he was the most athletic TE prospect.

To put that in perspective here's Pettigrew's #'s
4.82 40
33" Vert
9' 10" Broad jump
22 Bench (lowest)
___

In other news, Crabtree has a foot fracture. It will require surgery so he won't participate here or be healed in time to have a pro-day. This hurts the lions for any possibility there may have been for teams to leap frog to take him no.1 overall.

Crabtree also measured in at a mere 6'1. When's the last time someone drafted a WR in the top ten under 6'3? Troy Williamson is the only one I can remember this decade.

I really hope Pettigrew falls to the third because of this. The Lions need a TE, but can't afford to blow a high pick on one. He'd be great value in the third.

February 21st, 2009, 4:29 pm
NFL Veteran

Which is 6' 2-3/8"

Pettigrew didn't hurt his stock. He looked good in position drills. And the measurables didn't raise any concerns. No way he falls to the third (whether you mean third round, or Lions third pick).

February 21st, 2009, 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I could see him falling to late first round. I don't know if Chicago lets him slip past 18.

February 21st, 2009, 4:48 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I could see him falling to late first round. I don't know if Chicago lets him slip past 18.

Chicago Selected a 1st round TE Greg Olsen withint he past 2 years and have a decent vet in desmond clark. Why would they pick another TE in the 1st rd?

February 21st, 2009, 6:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
#1 Overall Pick

faulkn22 wrote:

Chicago Selected a 1st round TE Greg Olsen withint he past 2 years and have a decent vet in desmond clark. Why would they pick another TE in the 1st rd?

Exactly.

They need SPEED at the WR position, not a 3rd TE.

February 21st, 2009, 6:15 pm

DJ-B wrote:
faulkn22 wrote:

Exactly.

They need SPEED at the WR position, not a 3rd TE.

I think he was talking about Crabtree.

Quote:
Crabtree's official height is 6026
Which is 6' 2-3/8"

Everywhere I've seen has put him at 6'1.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/91990
http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/draft-r ... 215-a.html
http://fantasysports.usatoday.com/conte ... FL&id=5135

February 21st, 2009, 7:22 pm
National Champion

Ooops, sorry for not clarifying. I was talking about Crabtree with his injured foot. They'll take him at 18.

February 21st, 2009, 7:42 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I still doubt Crabtree will fall outside of the top fifteen picks if he even falls out of the top ten. His strong points were his ability to get open and hand strength. Speed was never his strong point and the player he most closely resembles to me is Anquan Boldin a guy about to sign a pretty big contract. There have been and there currently are a lot of top notch WRs that are 6'2" or shorter.

February 21st, 2009, 8:20 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Ooops, sorry for not clarifying. I was talking about Crabtree with his injured foot. They'll take him at 18.

My bad. I saw the 40 time and it kind of was my logical progression.

Anyhow...

I'm looking at Seattle (#4), Cinci (#6), OAKLAND (#7), San Fran (#10), Buffalo (#11), and Houston (#15).... and I'd be surprised if Crabtree fell that far.

Crabtree certainly wasn't "expected" to run a fast 40 time, so I don't think he will downgraded that much by not being able to workout. There is certainly enough "tape" for the scouts to see what they are going to get. There are too many WRs having great success in the NFL relying more on physical strength and ball skills than pure speed. Stress fractures typically don't have lasting effects, so I'd be surprised to see him fall too far. And considering that another highly rated WR (Percy Harvin) has a much more extensive injury history than Crabtree, I don't see many teams dropping Crabtree below Harvin. Maclin might be the guy to benefit since Al Davis loves speed at WR.

San Fran and Oakland have NOTHING at WR. Could they BOTH pass on him?

The only way it could happen is the fact that this is a REALLY deep class at WR this year.... or if Crabtree screws something up with character issues.

February 21st, 2009, 10:52 pm
QB Coach

Crabtree is putting off his surgery so that he can work out and run at Texas Tech's pro day.

February 21st, 2009, 11:50 pm

Get surgery now, miss combine and pro days, but be ready for off season workouts and let the teams judge you based on game film or

Put off surgery till after pro day, let each team evalutate you, knowing you have an injury, get surgery and miss beginning of off season workouts.

Its all about the money, and he knows he could slip far enough to cost him millions. The downside is he could make the injury worse and possibly miss more time.

February 22nd, 2009, 1:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next