View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 ***OFFICIAL 2009 Combine Thread*** 
National Champion

Nice point on Percy Harvin. So they both have issues with health, you'd still take Crabtree any day. I totally get where you're going with that.

I guess then you have to look back at Jonathan Stewart as well. He had a foot problem that required surgery (toe) was drafted early and had a great rookie year.

Crabtree's problem would come if he had to wait ten weeks to come back (I heard 6-10) it would make him pretty close to missing mini camps. That might bother some teams.

February 22nd, 2009, 8:39 am
QB Coach

Complete package Curry campaigns to be No. 1
Feb. 22, 2009
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- For the moment, there's a shift at the top of the NFL Draft board, with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry in and Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree out. That could change by April 25, of course, but until we know more about Crabtree's foot injury he's no longer numero uno.

Curry is.

"I didn't know about Crabtree," Curry said after he heard reports of Crabtree's stress fracture. "I'm sorry to hear that. That's a tough situation, but injuries have never been a concern of mine."

That's one reason to like the guy. Another is that he makes a lot of plays, returning three of four interceptions his junior year for touchdowns. Still another is that he is the best linebacker in the country.

"I just work hard and play hard all the time," he said. "Some people say I'm the best (in the draft); some people say I'm not the best. I'm just going to keep grinding."

Good idea. It got him here, and it should take him to or near the top of this year's draft. Now let's get something straight: That doesn't mean he will be the first pick. That's Detroit's choice, and the feeling -- at least for now -- is that the Lions take Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. But stay tuned.

In the meantime, it's time to appreciate Curry, and not just for what he is or what he has done but for where he came from. I'm talking about a tough upbringing that culminated with the eviction of his family from their Fayetteville, N.C., home during the summer between Curry's sophomore and junior years of college.
Poll
Who would you take No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft?
QB Matthew Stafford
LB Aaron Curry
WR Michael Crabtree
QB Mark Sanchez
DT B.J. Raji
OT Jason Smith
OT Eugene Monroe

Curry and his brother went to live with friends. His mother went to live with Curry's great grandmother. None of them would be the same again.

"To know that at any given moment anything can be just stripped from you like that ... that was one of the biggest turning points of my life," said Curry. "I realized I had to do something, and football was it.

"We didn't have the funds to get into another house, and those are the moments you think about in the fourth quarter when there's a play that needs to be made, and you know you have the opportunity to provide for your family for the rest of their lives."

So the guy is motivated, too. Just another reason to pay attention, class.

"I'm always a motivated person," said Curry. "The doubters helped me get here, but they're not the only thing that motivated me. My family -- my mother and my two brothers, Brandon and Christopher -- did a good job of making sure I was always motivated. And the situations I faced in life, as far as housing and whether the lights were on or not, kept me motivated."

Aaron Curry to the Lions: It would be great to go No. 1 overall. (US Presswire)
Aaron Curry to the Lions: It would be great to go No. 1 overall. (US Presswire)
If Stafford is Detroit's choice, Curry is a possibility for St. Louis at the second spot. First of all, he fits a need at outside linebacker. Second, the Rams can't get enough defense. They ranked last in 2008 in points allowed. Third, he's high on character. And fourth, he's so productive he was last season's Butkus Award winner, given annually to the country's top collegiate linebacker.

If the Rams don't fall in love with the guy on film, they will when they talk to him. I listened to him Saturday, when Curry captivated his audience for 20-25 minutes, and he was gracious, informative and downright engaging. In fact, he was so engaging it's a wonder he wasn't treated to a standing ovation when he finished.

At one point he was asked about tattoos on his wrists. One, he said, was for one brother; one was for the other. But he didn't stop there. He rolled up his sleeves to reveal others, explaining that "they represent myself and my family because they (his mother and brothers) mean the world to me." But there was one tattoo nobody could figure out ... until, that is, Curry explained it was the bar code for his favorite box of candy.

"Jujubes," he said, laughing.

His audience laughed with him. And that's the other thing about Aaron Curry. He's irresistible. There are plenty of players here with talent but few who pass the personality test as easily as Curry. He's smart, graduating in December with a degree in sociology. He's sincere. And he's only too willing to reveal everything about himself -- as he demonstrated when he took reporters on a guided tour of his body.

In short, he is not a risk. He can play in a 4-3. He can play in a 3-4. He can rush the passer. He can drop into coverage. He works hard. He plays hard. He stays out of trouble. He isn't hurt. And he loves the game.

Michael Crabtree, move over.

"It would be great to go No. 1 overall," said Curry. "Detroit knows that in Aaron Curry they're getting a great linebacker and a great person. I mean, what more could you ask for?"

Exactly.

February 22nd, 2009, 8:04 pm
NFL Veteran

February 23rd, 2009, 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Rey Maualuga just pulled up on his first 40. Looked like a hammy strain. He said he heard something pop.

He's done at the combine.

Really disappointed because I was looking forward to seeing him on the position drills. Hope he's okay.

February 23rd, 2009, 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Maybe he actually falls to 20 then?! All joking aside, I hope he's alright, I wouldn't have minded having him here.

February 23rd, 2009, 2:45 pm
QB Coach

Orakpo ran an unofficial 4.63 but apparently got hurt today from what I'm hearing. Pick #20 anybody?

February 23rd, 2009, 4:23 pm
National Champion

That's what I'm saying. I'd take Rey M. or Bryan O. @ 20 in a heartbeat. They both had the same issue (hamstring) today, with Rey's looking a little worse but both being done for the event.

February 23rd, 2009, 4:56 pm
QB Coach

Aaron Curry's unofficial 40:

His time is now official as a 4.56. He ran a faster 40 than Beanie Wells (4.59)

February 23rd, 2009, 6:53 pm
National Champion

This belongs here as well... from NFL.com

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/curry-m ... -to-lions/

I'd post the text but you really just have to watch the video to see the kids personality. I have stated before that him never starting at Mike was basically my only concern, and I think I can get over that pretty damn quick. There hasn't been one analyst with enough guts to say they don't think he can. I don't care if we make news by picking first LB (second ever picked 1st) in over 20 years at number 1. Is that any worse than drafting a bust? Only if they bust, and nobody seems to think Curry will.

If we pick Curry at one, we still have the luxury of probably finding a better tackle than Backus at either 20 or 33. We could also possibly still find one of those 3 top qb's at those picks as well.

In round one alone, we will have our qb of the defense and may have upgraded two line positions (I know the jury is still out on this discussion).

As many have stated today, he had a great combine. He also supposedly had a great interview with the Lions at Dinner last night. I'll go ahead and start drinking the Curry Kool-Aid.

February 23rd, 2009, 6:59 pm
NFL Veteran

Honolulu_Blue wrote:

The crazy thing is that he's doing it at 254 lbs.

He also went through all the position drills effortlessly. Brian Cushing was the only other guy who looked remotely as good as Curry, but it required serious effort for him.

McRath also showed he's the quickest and fastest ILB in the 40 and the drills. I would rather have him in the third round rather than Laurinaitis at 20 or 33. Heck I would still take McRath even if Laurinaitis fell to the third round.

Two guys jumped out as in over their heads.

Moise Fokou and Lee Robinson clearly did not belong.

February 23rd, 2009, 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honolulu_Blue wrote:

Shoot, he ran faster than 215 lb Moreno 2.55 and 2.63) ... SEC speed anyone?

February 23rd, 2009, 7:46 pm
QB Coach

I am officially on the draft Curry #1 bandwagon. The more I read and hear, the more I like.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

February 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Yeah, Curry #1 is my pick. Then we can grab a solid OT at 1b, or keep working on defense and grab another LB, or CB.

I actually wouldn't be against grabbing Pat White in the 3rd, let him help on KR/PR and reciever while he's learning the system, unless they think he's good enough to stay at QB from the get go. He's only 197lbs, but he can get bigger, and he was the best qb at the senior bowl, best thrower at the combine and the fact that he's a lefty, puts Gos at his blindside, which i'd be more comfortable with than Backus. At least he'd see the pressure coming from that side. Just a thought.

February 23rd, 2009, 8:25 pm
#1 Overall Pick

The crazy thing is that he's doing it at 254 lbs.

He also went through all the position drills effortlessly. Brian Cushing was the only other guy who looked remotely as good as Curry, but it required serious effort for him.

This is spot on.

Curry was looking like a man among boys at the combine.... and considering that there were other 1st round talents competing in the same group.... that says a lot.

For all of the people who doubt whether he can play the middle of play all 3 downs.... there should be no doubt any longer. Curry has shown on the FIELD that he is a football player..... and now has shown he is a FAR SUPERIOR athlete to all of the other LBs. He not only posted great "numbers" in the tests at the combine.... but he also looked VERY fluid in all of the drills as HB alluded to.....showing the best HIPS of anybody. The drills seemed to come easy to him because he was so fluid with his change of direction.

Curry is 6'2" tall and 255 pounds..... and is built THICKLY. His upper body is thick, and his lower body is thick. He made Laurinaitis look like a toothpick.

I don't care if he hasn't played MLB in college.... because college football is nothing like the NFL anyways. There are players that play 4 years of Mike in college... but their skills don't TRANSLATE to the NFL.

This guy can play ANY LB spot!!!

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

Physically... he reminds me of another MLB who really didn't ever play MLB in college either. That would be Brian Urlacher.

Then again.... I think Curry is a little thicker in the lower body!!!

February 23rd, 2009, 11:13 pm
National Champion

watched curry's combine highlights on nfl network..impressive!

he would be my pick at 1a.

the thing is at #1 you need a guy who is a lock to start in 2009.
curry would start day one.
and from his background story..we could get him signed by draft day.
hes not going to hold out 4-5 months and wait to put a roof over his familys heads..he will sign and be very greatful to be signed.

stafford? i doubt it. he would probably sit a year at least.
and Condon his agent is the hold out king too..

J. smith would probably start.

Curry looks like the odds on favorite.. right now

February 23rd, 2009, 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next