View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Reasons Why?? We should draft a QB with our 1st Pick. 
Walk On

Post Reasons Why?? We should draft a QB with our 1st Pick.
Call me crazy, but neither Stafford or Sanchez has showed enough to be drafted as a 1st overall pick. Why not draft top LT and sure up the offensive line and move Cherilus to the right side, if he shows upside as a starter this season. Then take a defensive player with our second first round pick. I suggest we take Josh Freeman (Tall, Big, Athletic, Strong Arm, Mobile) out of Kansas State with our 2nd Rd pick and groom him under Culpepper for a season or two. I honestly believe Culpepper can gain that chemistry with CJ he once had with Moss. He just need to go through training camp and get a chance to learn the offense. Scott Lenihan was with him and Moss in Minnesota during his fantasy seasons. Why gamble on Stafford or Sanchez because experts tell us that's who we should pick. Your thoughts...

At 6-6 and 250 pounds with a great arm and pretty good athleticism Freeman really has all the tools you look for in a top quarterback prospect and his stock could soar as the draft approaches. As an added bonus he also played in a pro style offense in college, which is becoming more and more of a rarity these days. Freeman would probably be better served by being brought along slowly but we said the same thing about Joe Flacco last year and he certainly did all right.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... reeman.php

Similar 2008 #'s

Matt Stafford: 6'3 228 40: 4.80 Comp: 235 Att: 383 Yd's: 3,459 Comp %: 61.4 TD's: 25 Int: 10

Josh Freeman: 6'6 250 40: 4.85 Comp: 224 Att: 382 Yd's 2,945 Comp%: 58.6% TD's: 20 Int: 8

Draft the BLACK MAMBA!! Ducks #6

February 15th, 2009, 5:15 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

None of the LT have shown they are worth the top pick either.

February 15th, 2009, 5:18 pm
1st Round Pick

figures just our luck we get the number one pick and there is no franchise player in this draft.

February 15th, 2009, 6:44 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'd say, maybe we should just pull the trigger on BJ Raji and Laurinaitis. It'll definitely make our defence much much better.

It doesnt look like they'll keep DanO (Which is a complete BS decision imo), so continue down the culpepper way, better loose a season and know for real what he's capable of than get Stafford and repeat Harrington syndrome all over again.

February 15th, 2009, 7:08 pm
National Champion

I'd say, maybe we should just pull the trigger on BJ Raji and Laurinaitis. It'll definitely make our defence much much better.

It doesnt look like they'll keep DanO (Which is a complete BS decision imo), so continue down the culpepper way, better loose a season and know for real what he's capable of than get Stafford and repeat Harrington syndrome all over again.

If we can get the contracts negotiated before the draft for the right price, that could work. There are precedents for paying the #1 pick lower money than later picks and there are precedents for picking DT ('94/Wilkinson, '91 Maryland) or LB ('88/Bruce) first.

But I wouldn't take Laurinaitis first, maybe Curry though. I'd like to see Raji or Curry, although I'd settle for Laurinaitis or Brace if we go a different route at #1.

February 15th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Post Re: Reasons Why?? We should draft a QB with our 1st Pick.
Mufasa wrote:
Call me crazy, but neither Stafford or Sanchez has showed enough to be drafted as a 1st overall pick. Why not draft top LT and sure up the offensive line and move Cherilus to the right side, if he shows upside as a starter this season. Then take a defensive player with our second first round pick. I suggest we take Josh Freeman (Tall, Big, Athletic, Strong Arm, Mobile) out of Kansas State with our 2nd Rd pick and groom him under Culpepper for a season or two. I honestly believe Culpepper can gain that chemistry with CJ he once had with Moss. He just need to go through training camp and get a chance to learn the offense. Scott Lenihan was with him and Moss in Minnesota during his fantasy seasons. Why gamble on Stafford or Sanchez because experts tell us that's who we should pick. Your thoughts...

At 6-6 and 250 pounds with a great arm and pretty good athleticism Freeman really has all the tools you look for in a top quarterback prospect and his stock could soar as the draft approaches. As an added bonus he also played in a pro style offense in college, which is becoming more and more of a rarity these days. Freeman would probably be better served by being brought along slowly but we said the same thing about Joe Flacco last year and he certainly did all right.

Similar 2008 #'s

Matt Stafford: 6'3 228 40: 4.80 Comp: 235 Att: 383 Yd's: 3,459 Comp %: 61.4 TD's: 25 Int: 10

Josh Freeman: 6'6 250 40: 4.85 Comp: 224 Att: 382 Yd's 2,945 Comp%: 58.6% TD's: 20 Int: 8

Stafford is too much of a risk to draft #1. Next year there are better QB prospects available. No need to waste a pick on a QB this year. Curry would make the biggest impact on defense right away and is most likely the premier player in this draft, but I could also live with Raji. Looks like they are keeping Backus so OT is a long shot. Stafford and Oher could be the two biggest busts of the 09 draft. I pray the Lions don't draft either one.

February 15th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Team MVP

I personally believe that if we use our #1 pick on a QB, our whole draft is wasted. Dont argue with me, its just how I feel and nothing will change my mind.

We need defense a whole lot more than we need a quarterback. We also need offensive line help a lot more than a quarterback. What is so hard to understand? Is it the game of football thats so hard to understand?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 15th, 2009, 10:15 pm
NFL Veteran

I wouldn't touch Freeman with a second round pick either. Maybe third.

If anything I'd think about taking Sanchez if he fell to the 33.

btw. Shouldn't this be in the draft section?

February 16th, 2009, 2:59 am
Profile WWW
National Champion

Mufasa wrote:

Similar 2008 #'s

From an article at ESPN... "Stafford was directly preceded at Georgia by the recently retired David Greene; both spent their entire college careers under head coach Mark Richt in similar offensive systems. Stafford's college numbers are actually worse than Greene's, with the latter completing 59 percent of his passes and averaging 8.01 yards per attempt to Stafford's 7.83. If Stafford was really a star in the making, wouldn't he have put up better numbers, in the same system, than a guy who washed out of the NFL without taking a professional snap? If it was our $25 million guaranteed, the answer would need to be yes."

The more info you find on this kid, the more you have to tell yourself to quit loving his arm and look at the facts... In another class, he may not even be 1st round pick. God, why ohh why do we have to draft 1st THIS year of all years.

February 16th, 2009, 10:35 am
RIP Killer

faulkn22 wrote:
From an article at ESPN... "Stafford was directly preceded at Georgia by the recently retired David Greene; both spent their entire college careers under head coach Mark Richt in similar offensive systems. Stafford's college numbers are actually worse than Greene's, with the latter completing 59 percent of his passes and averaging 8.01 yards per attempt to Stafford's 7.83. If Stafford was really a star in the making, wouldn't he have put up better numbers, in the same system, than a guy who washed out of the NFL without taking a professional snap? If it was our $25 million guaranteed, the answer would need to be yes."

The more info you find on this kid, the more you have to tell yourself to quit loving his arm and look at the facts... In another class, he may not even be 1st round pick. God, why ohh why do we have to draft 1st THIS year of all years.

I am not a Matt Stafford lover, but in all fairness that comparison is hogwash. Greene didn't have what it takes to be an NFL quarterback due to his physical shortcomings. He was short, and didn't have that great of an arm, which is why he was something like a fifth round pick. Also, Greene had a much better supporting cast than that of Stafford at Georgia.

All that said, I agree with some people's opinions that the Lions DO need a franchise QB. We all know Kitna, Culpepper, Orlovsky, Stanton.....none of them are "it". However, to select a QB first overall simply because you want to have that franchise player won't make him that franchise player. This new "administration" needs to avoid making the "Joey" mistake all over again. Rather than use that number one pick (which the Lions won't trade away, so anyone who is proposing that please get real) on a QB with high risk, use it on a player that is better prepared to succeed in the NFL, and won't make such a huge negative impact if he doesn't succeed.

Oh, and taking B.J. Raji first overall is just a poor idea. He's good, but certainly not that good.

February 16th, 2009, 11:41 am

m2karateman wrote:
faulkn22 wrote:

I am not a Matt Stafford lover, but in all fairness that comparison is hogwash. Greene didn't have what it takes to be an NFL quarterback due to his physical shortcomings. He was short, and didn't have that great of an arm, which is why he was something like a fifth round pick. Also, Greene had a much better supporting cast than that of Stafford at Georgia.

All that said, I agree with some people's opinions that the Lions DO need a franchise QB. We all know Kitna, Culpepper, Orlovsky, Stanton.....none of them are "it". However, to select a QB first overall simply because you want to have that franchise player won't make him that franchise player. This new "administration" needs to avoid making the "Joey" mistake all over again. Rather than use that number one pick (which the Lions won't trade away, so anyone who is proposing that please get real) on a QB with high risk, use it on a player that is better prepared to succeed in the NFL, and won't make such a huge negative impact if he doesn't succeed.

Oh, and taking B.J. Raji first overall is just a poor idea. He's good, but certainly not that good.

Please. Knowshon Moreno is the best offensive player Georgia has had since Garrison Hearst. David Greene played with NFL stars like Thomas Brown,Musa Smith, Fred Gibson and Terrance Edwards. No one David Greene played with on offense were anywhere near as good as Moreno. AJ Green even as a freshman is superior to any of them, and Massaquoi is at minimum equal to Reggie Brown. Stafford's large jump between his freshman season and sophomore season and Knowshon Moreno becoming the starting running back go hand and hand.

February 16th, 2009, 12:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Currently before the combine results are released.. so I am subject to change my mind after I see the results... I am all for drafting Aaron Curry with our #1 overall.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 16th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Stadium Announcer

Reasons to draft a QB (particularly Stafford)

1. Stafford is not Joey Harrington. We actually have a little talent on offense now, we could put in a rookie QB and win. Joey had no RB no WRs and only 2/5 lineman were capable. He was set up for failure. We now have a RB a couple WRs and 3/5 lineman are good. we just need OGs

2. Calvin Johnson.....What better way to use a freak like CJ then to get a QB that can throw 65 yards......with a tight spiral.......and with accuracy.

We could run CJ beyond the Safety and let him seperate from the safety and CB.. now that we have CJ running 50 yards downfield MOST QBs cant hit him.....Stafford Can. Im really excited about that possibility

3.Pro style Offense.......This is HUGE when looking at college QBs. Spread and Shotgun QBs always have trouble with their footwork in the pros from under center. You want a QB that can hand off from under center and Shotgun, You want him to be able to pass from shotgun AND 3 5 and 7 step drops. Thankfully the year we have the #1 pick there is that QB sitting there.

4.Experience.....Remember he has PLAYED 3 straight years. sure he is a junior......i dont understand why so many of you guys would rather have a senior that played 2 years then a junior that played 3. :? it makes no sense to me. And when there is a 3 year player from an SEC school you know your getting a football player.

February 16th, 2009, 8:00 pm
Team MVP

1. Stafford is not Joey Harrington. We actually have a little talent on offense now, we could put in a rookie QB and win. Joey had no RB no WRs and only 2/5 lineman were capable. He was set up for failure. We now have a RB a couple WRs and 3/5 lineman are good. we just need OGs

2. Calvin Johnson.....What better way to use a freak like CJ then to get a QB that can throw 65 yards......with a tight spiral.......and with accuracy.

We could run CJ beyond the Safety and let him seperate from the safety and CB.. now that we have CJ running 50 yards downfield MOST QBs cant hit him.....Stafford Can. Im really excited about that possibility

3.Pro style Offense.......This is HUGE when looking at college QBs. Spread and Shotgun QBs always have trouble with their footwork in the pros from under center. You want a QB that can hand off from under center and Shotgun, You want him to be able to pass from shotgun AND 3 5 and 7 step drops. Thankfully the year we have the #1 pick there is that QB sitting there.

4.Experience.....Remember he has PLAYED 3 straight years. sure he is a junior......i dont understand why so many of you guys would rather have a senior that played 2 years then a junior that played 3. :? it makes no sense to me. And when there is a 3 year player from an SEC school you know your getting a football player.

Easier said than done. Cant get the time for CJ to run that far down field when our offensive line cant make time for it. Its really simple guys, the offensive line pretty much determines what an offense can and cannot do. I would love to see all this stuff happen, but in reality it probably cant. How is JaMarcus Russels unbelieveable arm? Not worth a crap since his line is bad.

Besides, lets say CJ gets 5 touchdowns in a game. I bet our defense allows 6. We need to think about how the game of football is won. A lot of people said we shouldnt take Joe Thomas. A lot of people NOW wish we would have. A lot of people said we shouldnt trade down and take Patrick Willis. I bet a lot wish we would have now.

Lets not make the mistake again. We have the oppurtunity to take a franchise left tackle or ANY defensive player we want. Lets not blow it and take a quarterback. Because taking a quarterback will NOT help us. You can quote me on this down the road if for some odd chance we do and he works out. We especially shouldnt draft a QB and sit him (cant remember whos bright idea that was).

I dont know exactly which particular player i want them to take, but I do know position wise. And I dont care about value...i wish it has nothing to do with it even though you cant escape the fact that it does. LT, MLB, CB, DT. Please for the love of God, take one of those.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 16th, 2009, 11:00 pm
National Champion

FootballWiz wrote:

Easier said than done. Cant get the time for CJ to run that far down field when our offensive line cant make time for it. Its really simple guys, the offensive line pretty much determines what an offense can and cannot do. I would love to see all this stuff happen, but in reality it probably cant. How is JaMarcus Russels unbelieveable arm? Not worth a crap since his line is bad.

Besides, lets say CJ gets 5 touchdowns in a game. I bet our defense allows 6. We need to think about how the game of football is won. A lot of people said we shouldnt take Joe Thomas. A lot of people NOW wish we would have. A lot of people said we shouldnt trade down and take Patrick Willis. I bet a lot wish we would have now.

Lets not make the mistake again. We have the oppurtunity to take a franchise left tackle or ANY defensive player we want. Lets not blow it and take a quarterback. Because taking a quarterback will NOT help us. You can quote me on this down the road if for some odd chance we do and he works out. We especially shouldnt draft a QB and sit him (cant remember whos bright idea that was).

I dont know exactly which particular player i want them to take, but I do know position wise. And I dont care about value...i wish it has nothing to do with it even though you cant escape the fact that it does. LT, MLB, CB, DT. Please for the love of God, take one of those.

A defensive back has never went #1, but as you know, with the Lions there is a first time for anything.

February 17th, 2009, 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next