View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Reasons Why?? We should draft a QB with our 1st Pick. 
Player of the Year - Offense

Lions Deny Report of Pending Stafford Deal
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 22, 2009, 3:05 p.m.

Following an unconfirmed report that they’re about to sign University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, the Detroit Lions have emphatically shot it down.

According to Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com, team officials have denied the reports from The Oakland Press and NFLDraftBible.com.

“That report is absolutely untrue,” Lions team spokesman Bill Keenist said.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that the Lions still won’t wind up drafting and signing Stafford.

The Lions are trying to sign their No. 1 pick before the draft and are in talks with Stafford, Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith and Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry.

There's to unconfirmed reports lol

April 22nd, 2009, 3:13 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

4/22/2009
Lions close to a deal with Stafford

The Lions are close to agreeing on a deal with Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford to be the No. 1 overall pick.

Lions president Tom Lewand met with owner William Clay Ford for final approval earlier today, and the two sides could finalize a contract as soon as today. One source said a “catastrophe” would have to happen for the Lions not to draft Stafford at this point.

Phone calls to Lewand, general manager Martin Mayhew and senior vice president of communications Bill Keenist were not immediately returned. Neither Stafford nor his agent Tom Condon returned phone calls, either.

The Lions have five of the first 82 picks in this weekend's draft, including two first-rounders. Stafford passed for 3,459 yards last year with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He likely will start next season behind Daunte Culpepper

April 22nd, 2009, 3:20 pm
Modmin Dude

National Champion

Yeah, these reports are pretty funny to watch. These different sites are dueling one another right now.

Most of these things don't really get me going one way or the other, but one did. When McShay said what he said today, I wanted to throw up.

My stomach still hurts from hearing it.

If that did actually happen, until the Lions show me something new, I have to believe it because it sounds like something we would have done in the past. It sounds just like the influence that you know who has brought in the past.

I mean, its hearsay, but to just hear him say it is enough to make me want to punch out my monitor and throw my speakers.

Modmin Dude

Yeah, these reports are pretty funny to watch. These different sites are dueling one another right now.

Most of these things don't really get me going one way or the other, but one did. When McShay said what he said today, I wanted to throw up.

If that did actually happen, until the Lions show me something new, I have to believe it because it sounds like something we would have done in the past. It sounds just like the influence that you know who has brought in the past.

I mean, its hearsay, but to just hear him say it is enough to make me want to punch out my monitor and throw my speakers.

Dood, I wasn't able to play that McShay thing (work firewall yadda yadda), what did he say???

April 22nd, 2009, 3:24 pm
RIP Killer

faulkn22 wrote:

Dood, I wasn't able to play that McShay thing (work firewall yadda yadda), what did he say???

He said that he wouldn't be surprised if we didn't find out today that Stafford was signed.

I'm praying for a catastrophe... I can't wait till Saturday... this needs to end...

April 22nd, 2009, 3:35 pm
National Champion

He said that "the owner met with Matthew Stafford yesterday and he loved him" so he is now assuming it is a done deal.

April 22nd, 2009, 3:36 pm

Brace yourself....

He said that "the owner met with Matthew Stafford yesterday and he loved him" so he is now assuming it is a done deal.

Quote:
Funny, but I just heard Terry Foster talk about how, based on things he's hearing from inside the Lions organization, they may end up taking Curry number one overall.

This is based on two things:
1. WCF has definitely told Mayhew to go get the player he and Schwartz want, not who they think the Ford family wants.

That was what m2k posted. Different opinions based on different inside info.

April 22nd, 2009, 3:50 pm
National Champion

faulkn22 wrote:
Brace yourself....

Quote:
Funny, but I just heard Terry Foster talk about how, based on things he's hearing from inside the Lions organization, they may end up taking Curry number one overall.

This is based on two things:
1. WCF has definitely told Mayhew to go get the player he and Schwartz want, not who they think the Ford family wants.

That was what m2k posted. Different opinions based on different inside info.

I fully understand that, you're missing my point. I'm saying, until this new staff shows Lions 2.0, it's just the same old thing. It should make anyone sick to hear spin like that (yes, I said spin because its hearsay, like I also said before :))

I'm not treating it like a fact, but purely saying that I won't be able to eat dinner tonight because of watching that damn video. I would hope WCF didn't take the time to meet anyone, because anything he touches turns into cow manure.

April 22nd, 2009, 3:57 pm
Modmin Dude

Sources: Lions' president Tom Lewand did not meet with William Clay Ford today
by Tom Kowalski
Wednesday April 22, 2009, 4:06 PM
A report in The Oakland Press said that Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand met with team owner William Clay Ford today for "final approval'' on a contract for Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. However, according to two sources close to the situation, Lewand did not meet with Ford today.

The Lions have denied reports that a signing with Stafford is imminent. There has been widespread speculation that the Lions want to take Stafford with the first overall draft pick, but negotiations are continuing with two other players as well -- Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and Baylor left tackle Jason Smith.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said the team wants to get the No. 1 pick signed before the draft begins. The draft starts at 4 p.m. on Saturday and the Lions want to avoid the kind of contract holdout -- and overall distraction -- that marred the rookie season of Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell two years ago.

April 22nd, 2009, 4:22 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

PhiladelphiaEagles.com, March 15: "We just finished watching (Georgia's) Matthew Stafford, and it's my opinion that Detroit should not mess around and that he should be the top pick in the draft," said Jaworski, who is watching on this day with producer Lou Russo. "Stafford is just a more polished passer who makes every throw, who is a leader and who has done it against big-time competition.

This is just an attempt to quell the anxiety of everyone who is freaking out right now... You can't get a better endorsement at the QB position than that of Jaws IMO... Forget McShay, Mayock, Kiper and the like... This guy knows QBs...

April 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
PhiladelphiaEagles.com, March 15: "We just finished watching (Georgia's) Matthew Stafford, and it's my opinion that Detroit should not mess around and that he should be the top pick in the draft," said Jaworski, who is watching on this day with producer Lou Russo. "Stafford is just a more polished passer who makes every throw, who is a leader and who has done it against big-time competition.

This is just an attempt to quell the anxiety of everyone who is freaking out right now... You can't get a better endorsement at the QB position than that of Jaws IMO... Forget McShay, Mayock, Kiper and the like... This guy knows QBs...

Uhhhh....Jaws was high on Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell and Joey Harrington as well.

Thanks but no thanks.

April 22nd, 2009, 7:53 pm

lol beat me to it. He thought Joey's problems were lack of support around him. He was high on Alex Smith and thought they should have started him from Day 1. He was High on Josh McNown. Aaron Brooks in his words, "has as much God-given talent as anyone playing the quarterback position."

I know you're trying to quell your anxiety because the Lions might not go QB at #1, but Jaws knew the QB position, but he's not a good judge of talent.

April 22nd, 2009, 8:09 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't know that to be the case, but I still think he is the smartest of all of the analysts... I've seen him break down film on different teams passing games and different QBs... The guy knows what he is talking about...

BTW those guys were liked by most everyone... You people are too tough on these guys... They give you their opinion on EVERY player and they're all right about 25% of the time (in the first round)... Just like everyone... I'll guarantee you that if you knew the opinion of the teams on every single player in the draft or even in the first round, you'd all say the same thing about them... They might be a little bit higher, but not on the level where it will make some of you happy... Its real easy to criticize though...

Oh and Aaron Brooks did have a lot of talent...

April 22nd, 2009, 9:40 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know that to be the case, but I still think he is the smartest of all of the analysts... I've seen him break down film on different teams passing games and different QBs... The guy knows what he is talking about...

BTW those guys were liked by most everyone... You people are too tough on these guys... They give you their opinion on EVERY player and they're all right about 25% of the time (in the first round)... Just like everyone... I'll guarantee you that if you knew the opinion of the teams on every single player in the draft or even in the first round, you'd all say the same thing about them... They might be a little bit higher, but not on the level where it will make some of you happy... Its real easy to criticize though...

Oh and Aaron Brooks did have a lot of talent...

Murtyle, I'm willing to admit those times I thought a player would be great, and they turned out to be garbage. I never thought Alex Smith would be the bust he has been, but I felt very strongly that he wouldn't be a franchise QB. I thought Aaron Rogers should have gone first, and would only succeed if SF would have given him at least a year of development. Smith was doomed by the coaching staff in Frisco.

Being able to breakdown tape and being a good judge of talent are two different things entirely. Don't get me wrong, I think Jaws is a good guy and very knowledgeable about the game, but is so-so on talent evaluation. Millen knows a bunch about the game as well...where did it get him on draft day?

I understand that it is easy to criticize these guys. But that's the risk they take by putting their opinions out there as if it were gospel. Once the picks are made, I would imagine the NFL pushes the idea of supporting the picks with positive statements. That's all well and good. But the picks haven't been made yet, so it's open season.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19