View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Discussing the OLTs at the top of the 2009 draft 
#1 Overall Pick

Post Discussing the OLTs at the top of the 2009 draft
I found a bit of info on Andre Smith, but I thought I'd name this thread in a more general way to make it easy to follow a discussion of the OLTs.

Here's the story...from theredzone.org

Quote:
Offensive Tackle Andre Smith has had a rough start to the NFL Scouting Combine. On Friday Smith said he didn't start working out until the last few weeks. He also didn't lift on Friday. On Saturday, Smith was unable to be located. Smith was later found. According to NFL Network, Smith and his agent have given conflicting stories about his whereabouts.

and the nfl.com version .......

Quote:
Alabama OT Smith skips combine workout
Posted: Combine | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Andre Smith

Offensive tackle prospect Andre Smith from Alabama said Thursday he wasn’t sure whether he would work out for scouts at this week’s combine. Friday, he announced he’d only work out at Alabama’s pro day March 11. Saturday, Smith was announced as missing.

According to an announcement inside Lucas Oil Stadium for the benefit of scouts in attendance, Smith’s whereabouts were unknown for a time Saturday morning. About 30 minutes before he was scheduled to work out, he finally was located, but there were conflicting stories about why he was absent.

Smith, projected to be drafted as high as No. 2 overall by the Rams, came into the combine with some question marks. He was suspended from Alabama’s appearance in the Sugar Bowl for alleged improper contact with an agent, and he reportedly has struggled to keep his weight in check.

The "weight issue" is becoming more than just a minor concern for me. I realize that 320+ guys don't need to be endurance champs.... but this guy is in the middle of the MOST important job interviewing process of his life... and his agent certainly must have already told him that being in TOP shape for the next 2 months could be diffference of several million dollars in guaranteed money.

The RED flag is blowing in the wind as we speak.

February 21st, 2009, 1:53 pm
QB Coach

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

Here's an article by Don Banks saying that by what he witnessed we're going OT not QB with #1. I pray it isn't Andre Smith.

February 21st, 2009, 1:56 pm
Cheerleader

Andre Smith is shortly becoming the joke of the draft. You cannot walk into the scouting combine and act this stupid and it be okay. With weight issues, suspension of the bowl game, your head coach telling you that you are not welcome back, and now showing up and actually saying that you aren't ready. I'll tell you what, he's not. He might end up doing something in the NFL, but I hope it's not with the Lions.

February 21st, 2009, 3:58 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I've been worried about Andre Smith's weight all along. Now it seems, as many suspected, his weight is likely connected to work ethic and a lack of dedication to football.

He has cost himself millions--maybe tens of millions--with this behavior. It is possible that he has now dropped completely out of the first round. Very interesting development.

Jason Smith, on the other hand, is having an excellent combine and may be separating himself from the other LT prospects.

February 21st, 2009, 4:11 pm
National Champion

I don't want to speak too soon, but Jason Smith has looked great thus far. I was watching some drills over at nfl.com and he has done well thus far. He's also much stronger than the other top tier OT's. His bench press made Oher and Monroe look like sissy girls (but its not all about out muscling your opponent, that can lead to sloppy technique). He keeps this up and he could go #1.

February 21st, 2009, 4:41 pm
NFL Veteran

With the dearth of information and video on Jason Smith a few weeks ago, I was able to find out how bright he was. I was mostly impressed with his intelligence and character. Now that it looks like he is also the most athletic of the four... I have to adjust my read on him. He now has the highest ceiling. That was my take on Oher previously. But with Oher having the most disappointing workout, I'm starting to see how he may be available at 20.

Monroe was the most polished in the drills. But with his limited experience, Smith was not too far behind. He's encroaching awfully close to Monroe enough to make you think long and hard who to take if they're going No.1 overall.

Regarding Andre Smith. He wanted to get a head start on training for the pro day so he flew out early in the morning. He didn't tell anyone. But I think a lot of people's knee jerk reactions about this is pretty dramatic. He wasn't going to go no. 1 overall anyway. I think the uproar is pretty funny.

February 21st, 2009, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'll say it again Andre Smith is not franchise left tackle at best he's a right tackle. Honestly I think he looks like a guard and lazy one at that.

Michael Oher and Andre Smith might both have more talent but seem to really lack what it takes upstairs. Which is why Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith will both be drafted before them.

February 21st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Regarding Andre Smith. He wanted to get a head start on training for the pro day so he flew out early in the morning. He didn't tell anyone. But I think a lot of people's knee jerk reactions about this is pretty dramatic. He wasn't going to go no. 1 overall anyway. I think the uproar is pretty funny.

That was his agent's story. Smith himself stood in front of the room and admitted that he wasn't in shape and that he had just started working out. The agent is doing damage control by stating that Smith had to hurry back so he could catch two workouts. I don't buy that for a second.

What's worse is why in the world hasn't Smith been working out for the past month? He wants to be a professional athlete but he's admitting to letting himself get out of shape. Not being in shape at the Combine is absolutely inexcusable, even if he isn't planning to work out there. The guy already has a history of weight issues, plus the agent fiasco that got him suspended from the bowl game, and now he's out of shape at the Combine. Put all of those factors together and you've got a very risky prospect.

February 21st, 2009, 5:47 pm
NFL Veteran

Mike Mayock related his personal phone conversation with Smith in the middle of his workouts.

Weather it's a corroboration of stories, who knows.

I don't know why anyone here cares. He wasn't going to be picked by the Lions anywhere. All he's shown is the same behavioral pattern he already demonstrated previously. If anything, maybe he'll tumble down the draft where a team can take him where the risk isn't so high.

February 21st, 2009, 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't want to speak too soon, but Jason Smith has looked great thus far. I was watching some drills over at nfl.com and he has done well thus far. He's also much stronger than the other top tier OT's. His bench press made Oher and Monroe look like sissy girls (but its not all about out muscling your opponent, that can lead to sloppy technique). He keeps this up and he could go #1.

I'm in total agreement with you on Jason Smith. He looks to have the best feet of all the top LT's, and the way he carries his self during drills is the most impressive of the group. The effortless way he kick slides and mirrors his opponent. If the Lions go LT with the pick, I hope it's JS. In regards to taking a QB at 1, the more #I read about and listen to the so called draft experts talking about the risk/reward factors of this years top QB's, the more I'm convinced the Lions won't go that way with #1. But if one of them fall to 20 or 33 I could see it as a possibility. Can't wait to see the LB's work out.

February 21st, 2009, 11:01 pm

Smith benched more then Oher and Monroe but that doesn not make him stronger. I am not bashing Smith but to make such a statement is pretty crazy.

February 22nd, 2009, 12:20 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Smith benched more then Oher and Monroe but that doesn not make him stronger. I am not bashing Smith but to make such a statement is pretty crazy.

I believe in his combine workout, Jared Allen only repped 225 eleven times. The bench press is severely overrated for lineman, more of their strength comes from the legs.

February 22nd, 2009, 3:56 am

Stallion wrote:

I believe in his combine workout, Jared Allen only repped 225 eleven times. The bench press is severely overrated for lineman, more of their strength comes from the legs.

Many individuals may have great functional strength and it may on translate to pumping iron. I am not saying this is fact but on the feild Oher could be the strongest of the top 4 even though he didn't bench well. Also as you said bench doesn't take into account legs(one of the knocks on J.Smith) and Back which are both vital.

Some people complain about the 40 yard dash becuase it doesn't time game speed. I would argue that the bench test is even more useless.

February 22nd, 2009, 4:31 am
National Champion

I definetely see what you are talking about, but you act like the bench press was the only event he dominated. He beat out the other top 3 in a majority of events.

Eugene Monroe did great in the broad jump (Is this the magic test at the combine?) Also, with the bench press... Yes, any muscle jockey can work on one muscle group and make it the best, so it can't be the best possible judgement of strength. But it then becomes apparent that you must not lift many weights, because to do the bench press, you have to use great form. You are using all of the small groups of muscles on your arms to balance the bar, and you are using your legs to counter stabilize. Your back even comes into play as you bend it to press. Also, EM JS and MO all have almost identical arm lengths.

Its not like they were lifting with a machine, and only grading the strength of their pecks.

With that being said, you may not like the drill (its there for a reason), but its still a damn good indicator of your entire upper body strength. You can tell that he is without doubt stronger up top than the rest of the Oline crop. I think I also heard a commentator state that his body fat percentage was the lowest of the elite OL prospects. That's got to be good news, too. That I cannot verify, though.

Jared Allen benched 225 13 times. But he also is not an OT. He has a different skillset and a different purpose in the game. You are talking apples and oranges. When a DE starts mirroring an OT instead of rushing the qb or falling into a zone, then we can compare them.

I wasn't implying anything more than JS having a crazy opening day, especially with the AS controversy going on. He moved up 1-3 OT slots on boards yesterday, depending on which big board you look at. He could always fall that many the next day.

EDIT: You are also forgetting about endurance. I think that is probably what they are looking for the most with the bench press. If not, they would have the players try to max out. J. Smith is clearly the most athletic tackle in the bunch; he won't get tired out nearly as fast as the rest of his class will. I guess you don't think endurance is important?

February 22nd, 2009, 8:35 am

I definetely see what you are talking about, but you act like the bench press was the only event he dominated. He beat out the other top 3 in a majority of events.

Eugene Monroe did great in the broad jump (Is this the magic test at the combine?) Also, with the bench press... Yes, any muscle jockey can work on one muscle group and make it the best, so it can't be the best possible judgement of strength. But it then becomes apparent that you must not lift many weights, because to do the bench press, you have to use great form. You are using all of the small groups of muscles on your arms to balance the bar, and you are using your legs to counter stabilize. Your back even comes into play as you bend it to press. Also, EM JS and MO all have almost identical arm lengths.

Its not like they were lifting with a machine, and only grading the strength of their pecks.

With that being said, you may not like the drill (its there for a reason), but its still a damn good indicator of your entire upper body strength. You can tell that he is without doubt stronger up top than the rest of the Oline crop. I think I also heard a commentator state that his body fat percentage was the lowest of the elite OL prospects. That's got to be good news, too. That I cannot verify, though.

Jared Allen benched 225 13 times. But he also is not an OT. He has a different skillset and a different purpose in the game. You are talking apples and oranges. When a DE starts mirroring an OT instead of rushing the qb or falling into a zone, then we can compare them.

I wasn't implying anything more than JS having a crazy opening day, especially with the AS controversy going on. He moved up 1-3 OT slots on boards yesterday, depending on which big board you look at. He could always fall that many the next day.

EDIT: You are also forgetting about endurance. I think that is probably what they are looking for the most with the bench press. If not, they would have the players try to max out. J. Smith is clearly the most athletic tackle in the bunch; he won't get tired out nearly as fast as the rest of his class will. I guess you don't think endurance is important?
I am not bashing J. Smith at all and you could argue that he had the best showing of the OT's but that still does not make him the strongest of the OT's.

February 22nd, 2009, 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next