View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Handicapping the top of the draft 
National Champion

Thanks for the transcripts. I would much rather have a trade down in the top 10 than have to pick. I hope you're right about other teams falling for him. If we have to pick, he seems like a great fallback option.

February 24th, 2009, 7:36 am
Walk On

He oozed charisma

I just found this choice of words interesting. I don't recall if it was on here, but there was an article about Schwartz observing top players at an event under Belichek. He singled out Ray Lewis as a natural leader and suggested taking a look at drafting him. I think his exact words were 'oozes charisma'.

The Curry hype is in full effect. But the trade up scenario only works if teams think we won't be taking Stafford. We've spent quite a bit of time talking about the QB position and appeared to like Stafford. I'm not sure a team thinks it needs #1 overall to get Curry.

-ILMP

February 24th, 2009, 6:45 pm
NFL Veteran

But the trade up scenario only works if teams think we won't be taking Stafford. We've spent quite a bit of time talking about the QB position and appeared to like Stafford. I'm not sure a team thinks it needs #1 overall to get Curry.

They don't necessarily have to trade up because they're scared the Lions will take Curry. They do it because they're afraid that the Rams, Chiefs, Browns etc... will pull the trigger. Teams know that Detroit wants to trade down so they're a suitable trade partner. So they can ensure the pick by leaving no doubt by leap frogging all other teams for the no. 1 overall pick.

I also don't know where your getting that the Lions are spending the majority of their time with Stafford. I think they've done a good job of keeping their cards close to the vest so far. The media made a big deal out of Stafford. But all the things coming from the Lions are along the lines of keeping their options open. Also the fact that Mayhew wants to negotiate with three finalists hardly singles out Stafford as a QB. Either way, you really can't take too much stock in anything at this point, because nobody wants to tip their hands, so things can be real, things can be smokescreens.

February 24th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

just like Cj was the safest pick at #2
curry is a special athlete.. the complete package for a top pick.

our team needs that charismatic spark..bad
it was mentioned the "ooze charisma" comparison to ray lewis.

Mooch ,chucky and sapp were on the nfl network yesterday talking about ray lewis as an FA.. all of them agreed they could not see ray lewis anywhere other than the ravens that he: "was not only the heart and soul of there defense but the heart and soul of the entire team".

the lions haven't had somthing like that in one individule for as long as i can remember.. we have had some great players but they have a always been the the quite humble type.. who do we have as a heart and soul leader of this team now? jason hanson? great player but mellow as a funeral director on ludes.. :roll:
stafford is just another slub in the infectous personality dept too..no different than say joey or dan -0. no fire in the gut.

the other thing is we will be able to sign curry before the draft.
he would be happy as hell to go #1, and is not going to want top hold out
4-5 months, while his family is scattered waiting to get a roof over their heads.

Stafford is a hold out waiting to happen.. Jamarcus russel 2.0 (same agent)

way i see it stafford is out of the picture, too many questions and is not going to sign before the pick..

A. curry or J. smith,

curry brings more to the team..

hes the pick.

February 24th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If we don't trade down , he is the pick. If we can trade down even just for a 2nd or 2nd plus future picks, I would do it in a heartbeat. But at #1 Id take Curry and not look back.

February 24th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

If we don't trade down , he is the pick. If we can trade down even just for a 2nd or 2nd plus future picks, I would do it in a heartbeat. But at #1 Id take Curry and not look back.

That's my philosophy for the draft as well. He's the BPA, but we need as many picks as possible.

February 24th, 2009, 11:09 pm
RIP Killer

I think a team is more likely to trade up with Detroit to get a LT than to get Curry, to be quite honest. Where once there were four LTs seen as top ten material, now there are just two.....and Jason Smith seems to be edging out Eugene Monroe on draft boards lately. I believe that everyone knows both Seattle and St. Louis will be taking hard looks at those two players.....and Seattle might be willing to trade up to get their next Walter Jones, ahead of St. Louis getting their next Orlando Pace. However, Seattle also realizes they could stand pat and get one of those two, because if Detroit doesn't take a LT, then certainly they get one and at a much lower price. KC would take Curry if he's there.....if he's not, they may go with either Stafford or Brian Orakpo. There have been reports of Raji or Crabtree going to Seattle, but I think they go LT.

Trying to forecast this draft is extremely difficult right now. Things fall into place more after free agency......

February 25th, 2009, 10:04 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

This kind of makes me think of how it was when Derrick Johnson was the smart pick for the Lions. Did they take him? Of course not, we all know that. And while Johnson has been a solid player I don't know if he has lived up to the billing that he got coming out of college. He was more hyped then Curry (unless Curry has an unbelievable pro day) coming out of college.

I would like to see the Defense addressed and I think Curry would be the best way to do that. Raji will be gone by 20, Orakpo too. After that you've got Melaluga and Laurenitis as well as Vontae Davis who would be players who could step in and contribute right away. I'm not sold on Laurenitis or Melaluga. Even though Rey ran a 4.8 you have to look at his 10 and 20 yard splits. A good Mike needs to have that explosion in those first 10 to 20 yards, as that is where most of his plays will be made. If he's running 40 yards that means a big play is happening. I'd rather have a guy who's got great short speed instead of "long" speed. Just a thought.

February 26th, 2009, 9:25 pm
National Champion

This kind of makes me think of how it was when Derrick Johnson was the smart pick for the Lions. Did they take him? Of course not, we all know that. And while Johnson has been a solid player I don't know if he has lived up to the billing that he got coming out of college. He was more hyped then Curry (unless Curry has an unbelievable pro day) coming out of college.

I would like to see the Defense addressed and I think Curry would be the best way to do that. Raji will be gone by 20, Orakpo too. After that you've got Melaluga and Laurenitis as well as Vontae Davis who would be players who could step in and contribute right away. I'm not sold on Laurenitis or Melaluga. Even though Rey ran a 4.8 you have to look at his 10 and 20 yard splits. A good Mike needs to have that explosion in those first 10 to 20 yards, as that is where most of his plays will be made. If he's running 40 yards that means a big play is happening. I'd rather have a guy who's got great short speed instead of "long" speed. Just a thought.

The ironic thing is that Derrick Johnson, although a "better" pick than Mike Williams, still would not have been a great pick. He has been an inconsistent linebacker for the Chiefs. The best pick would have been DeMarcus Ware. The guy was an awesome DE/3-4 OLB prospect and nobody noticed at the time (including me).

February 26th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Well sure, of course D. Ware would have been a great pick, but he's a 3-4 hybrid guy that probably wouldn't have fit into the Lions "scheme". That was also the year Shawne Merriman came out... Screw you Matt Millen!

February 26th, 2009, 9:32 pm
National Champion

The rest of the league would have a little less talent if Millen wouldn't have existed. It's scary to think about, but true. He took so many bad picks, that those late round drafters got a better crop.

I hope all of those teams are ready to lose thier talent to our new set of drafters (yeah, that's way optimistic...)

February 26th, 2009, 9:38 pm
NFL Veteran

In retrospect, Derrick Johnson was more a fan sensation. At least he wouldn't have busted like Mike Williams.

But from a scouts perspective, I've never seen a linebacker graded this high before. Ever. This is the first time a linebacker has been spoken of as a legitimate no. 1 overall selection in a long time.

Here's scout's inc to put it in perspective.

Aaron Curry OLB 98 Lions
Keith Rivers OLB 96 Bengals
Jerod Mayo OLB 94 Patriots
Patrick Willis ILB 95 49ers
AJ Hawk LB 97 Packers
Ernie Sims OLB 96 Lions
Chad Greenway 95 Vikings
Shawne Merrimen 95 Chargers
Derrick Johnson 96 Chiefs

February 26th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

But from a scouts perspective, I've never seen a linebacker graded this high before. Ever. This is the first time a linebacker has been spoken of as a legitimate no. 1 overall selection in a long time

Really?

LaVar Arrington was considered the best player in his draft with Lawrence Taylor like ability. He was bigger and faster than Curry and most 'experts' had him going #1. I guess 2000 was a lifetime ago.

A.J. Hawk was considered the 'safest pick in the draft' a leader, could play any position in any scheme, a rare combination of size and speed. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Derrick Johnson also earned the coveted 'safest pick in the draft' label that year. 'Experts' had him going as high as #3 he went #15.

Needless to say but all these guys have failed to live up to expectations.

No matter how bad the Lions defense is it doesn't matter. The #1 pick is going to come down to value in either a QB or LT, not LB. Linebacker is not a premium position.

Is Stafford really any riskier than converted TE from Baylor?

March 28th, 2009, 11:59 am
NFL Veteran

AJ Hawk was not even in the discussion. It was Mario Williams, Vince Young and Reggie Bush. With your QB the bust among them.

Derrick Johnson? There was more hype from fans, myself included, than the scouts or from teams. Where he was drafted was reflected in the draft.

Your grasping for straws here and making my point. Linebackers don't get the superlatives that Curry's getting.

Stafford is the biggest risk at no. 1 no question.

March 28th, 2009, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2