View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A Replacement for Shaun Rogers 
National Champion

Post A Replacement for Shaun Rogers
I looked around and couldn't find any recent threads on this topic, and it was something I've been thinking about.

I think that a majority of us can agree that when we lost Big Baby, we lost our defense. The monster really did free up our defense to make big plays. He was a true double teamer and made our bad D look better than it was.

Besides the obvious (The pricey, head stomping, Albert Haynesworth), what options do we have at filling this void in our sorry D?

Unless we are trading down in the top 10, I don't think we get Raji. P. Jerry looks alright, but isn't the same type of tackle. T. Taylor or R. Brace look ok, but does anyone know more on these kids? The only thing I know is that they were considered 3rd round picks (?).

Are there any other FA's that would be able to eat double teams?

IMHO, We need to replace Big Baby as soon as possible... So... Any suggestions?

February 24th, 2009, 9:13 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

You know? I have been thinking the same thing lately... we just need a big space eating, double team commanding DT like Big Baby was for us. Def. help our LB's out by keeping some of the OL off of them, which if you watched any games last year.. you could tell how every game pretty much the other teams OL was all over our LBs.

But, I have no clue as to who is out there that would be able fill that void. However, I'd probably take a look at Brace or Taylor in the 3rd as a place to start.. now if we get lucky and Peria is there @ #20.. I'd snag him up.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 24th, 2009, 1:01 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Peria isn't a NT he is a classic UT. Secondly this draft class has far more UT types then NT. The 2010 draft has some great NT coming out however.

February 24th, 2009, 1:53 pm
RIP Killer

Peria isn't a NT he is a classic UT. Secondly this draft class has far more UT types then NT. The 2010 draft has some great NT coming out however.

Beat me to it, Stallion. Peria is a UT or a 34 DE, definitely not a classic space eater in the mold of Big Baby. He doesn't even possess the frame to add on that much weight, from what I've seen.

Ron Brace would be a better option. Already 330 lbs, and could gain more. He's also got some decent athletic skills. If I am Mayhew and getting that type of DT is high on my needs list, I strongly consider trading up from my #65 to take him late second round if he's still on the board, ahead of the Colts if they didn't go DT in the first round. I think Indy takes Brace if he's on the board in round two. And I don't think Brace is worth #33......not quite that good. He won't be the second coming of Big Baby in the NFL, but he doesn't have to be either.

February 24th, 2009, 2:31 pm
National Champion

Post Re: A Replacement for Shaun Rogers
faulkn22 wrote:
P. Jerry looks alright, but isn't the same type of tackle.

m2karateman wrote:
Beat me to it, Stallion. Peria is a UT or a 34 DE, definitely not a classic space eater in the mold of Big Baby.

I think I beat you both to it :p lol

So the realistic option thus far is Brace in the late 2nd round. So which team do you guys target trading with and what do we give up to get there?

Any other space eater options, fellas?

February 24th, 2009, 2:39 pm
NFL Veteran

This is the first thing I singled out as the biggest need. From my Draft Strategy.

Quote:
I think the loss of Shaun Rogers was the biggest reason we went 0-16. We no longer had a guy who occupied all the blocks and occasionally wreaked havok crushing the pocket allowing guys like Ernie Sims and Cory Redding to make plays.

Quote:
The single biggest way we can make an impact on the team is with a dominant defensive tackle. As Cunningham says, protect the rest of the team, and they can make plays. I doubt Haynesworth or Marcus Tubbs will come on board, so the best place to get that guy? No. 1 Pick in the draft. Raji has shot up the charts after he verified he belongs with the elite in the Senior Bowl. He fits all the criteria of a big playmaker.

Here's the thing though, replacing someone in the mold of Big Baby, really limits your options. Big Baby was an elite DT. He didn't just occupied blocks, he wreaked havoc and made plays.

So you can easily find a guy to just occupy and sustain blocks. Or you can find a feisty high motor play-making DT. But to find someone who has both like Shaun did, you will quickly realize how limited your options are. There are two.

1) Albert Haynesworth via Free Agency
2) BJ Raji via the Draft

Outside of that , you have to settle for one type or the other.

In the draft

Space Eaters, Block Sustainers
Ron Brace Boston College 6'-3" 334
Terrance Taylor Michigan 6'-0" 306
Fili Moala USC 6'-4" 305
Myron Pryor Kentucky 6'-0" 319
Sammie Lee Hill Stillman 6'-4" 329
Chris Baker Hampton 6'-2" 326
Dorrell Scott Clemson 6'-3" 312
Corvey Georgia 6'-3" 300

Playmakers
Peria Jerry Mississippi 6'-2" 299
Ziggy Hood Missouri 6'-3" 300
Sen'Derrick Marks Auburn 6'-2" 306
Alex Magee Purdue 6'-3" 298
Ricky Jean Francois LSU 6'-3" 295
Vance Walker Georgia Tech 6'-2" 304

In Free Agency pickings are slim, your space eaters are Tank Johnson and Dewayne Robertson. Your playmaker is Rocky Bernard. They could also take a chance on a talented guy like Marcus Tubbs who has a risky injury history.

The reason why I advocate Raji or Haynesworth is because of the way it will upgrade current players on our roster. Ernie Sims, Cory Redding and Cliff Avril will benefit the most and instantly be upgraded by virtue of a dominant DT's impact. Even an undersized ILB like Jordan Dizon would be able to play behind one. If we get neither, then it will require a bit more personnel to improve the defense. MLB and SLB both would have to be upgraded, and we'd need more of an elite end pass rusher. It's basically the trump card for the defense and would mask a lot of deficiencies.

February 24th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think drafting a space eater is what is needed. We need someone who can command a double team from size alone and I feel that would open things back up for Redding to start being a playmaker. I think we get the most bang for our buck without going after idiots like haynesworth.

February 24th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I believe we have a couple options in FA depending on what kind of tenders these guys recieve. I have read up on these guys although I have not seen allot of them personally. The problem with the guys I am about to list is they are all RFA

NT
Gabe Watson from Zona 6-3 323LBS (from Michigan played at U of M)
Kedric Golston from the Skins 6-4 320LBS
Anthony Montgomery from Skins 6-6 320LBS
Brandon McKinney from the Ravens 6-2 345LBS(from Ohio Played at MSU)
Kevin Vickerson from the Titans 6-5 305LBS (from Detroit played at MSU)

I hope that the front office looks at these guys very closely. They are all young and can eat blockers. They have all flashed potential during playing time. Although some of this depends on what type of tenders they receive.

February 24th, 2009, 5:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I believe we have a couple options in FA depending on what kind of tenders these guys recieve. I have read up on these guys although I have not seen allot of them personally. The problem with the guys I am about to list is they are all RFA

NT
Gabe Watson from Zona 6-3 323LBS (from Michigan played at U of M)
Kedric Golston from the Skins 6-4 320LBS
Anthony Montgomery from Skins 6-6 320LBS
Brandon McKinney from the Ravens 6-2 345LBS(from Ohio Played at MSU)
Kevin Vickerson from the Titans 6-5 305LBS (from Detroit played at MSU)

I hope that the front office looks at these guys very closely. They are all young and can eat blockers. They have all flashed potential during playing time. Although some of this depends on what type of tenders they receive.

Since this guy is from the Titans.. Kevin Vickerson from the Titans 6-5 305LBS (from Detroit played at MSU).

I wonder if Schwartz might snag him up?

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 24th, 2009, 6:27 pm
NFL Veteran

The 2010 draft has some great NT coming out however.

I know it's looking way ahead. But who do you have in mind?

Off the top of my head there's the Nebraska tackle, and the Alabama one.

February 24th, 2009, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

Gerald McCoy from Oklahoma
Ndamukong Suh from Nebraska
Marvin Austin from NC
Authur Jones from Syracuse
Vince Oghobaase from Duke
Jared Odrick from Penn State
Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson
Al Woods from LSU
Kellen Heard from Texas A&M
Kade Weston from Georgia

These are some of the DT coming out next year. I haven't seen all of them play but every one of these guys are atleast listed at 6'4" and 300 and above. I personally like Oghobaase for a space eating nose (who could still rush the passer) or Authur Jones for a pass rushing nose.

February 25th, 2009, 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]