View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Who will the Leos choose NOT who should they 

Who will the chose with Pick #1 not who should they?
Matt Stafford 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Michael Crabtree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jason Smith 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
B.J. Raji 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Aaron Curry 64%  64%  [ 27 ]
Louie Sakoda (Hei it's the Lions lol) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Let the clock expire and choose around 3d or 4th 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42

Who will the Leos choose NOT who should they 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Who will the Leos choose NOT who should they
We have the nr 1 pick , barring a trade which seems very unlikely according to our GM.
Every player on the board is available for their taking. Factoring history and the people making the pick i think they will pick Crabtree or Stafford, they love the sexy pick albeit it almost always backfires.
Whom do you guys think they will choose with the first pick of the 2009 Draft?

March 2nd, 2009, 12:48 am
Team MVP

I definetly dont think theyll take Crabtree.

Even though I DONT want them to do this because its very stupid, i think theyll take Stafford. I think theyll feel like they have to or something. But who knows....hopefully Stafford gets caught with marijuana before his pro day or something, making him look really bad. One can only hope.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 2nd, 2009, 12:54 am
Stadium Announcer

They have constistenly said they would take the best player on the board. Right now that is Curry. Unless they are lying, they're going to take Curry. (i hope) :?

March 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am
National Champion

I'm not completely sold on who I want them to take at one, but I have little doubt that they'll pick anyone but Stafford. It's hard to go against history, and history says that in the past 10 years, most of the picks at 1 have been quarterback.

It wasn't always that way, but its the trend now-a-days and unless they have a lot of brass up in the FO, they'll go for the QB.

March 2nd, 2009, 5:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They better go defense! Offense is serviceable and probably would of won us some games if our defense hadn't surrendered 21pts by the end of the 1st quarter.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I am not sure yet but I think its between Monroe, Stafford, and Curry and Monroe is a long shot.

March 2nd, 2009, 8:30 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm betting on Curry. Can still get an LT with 20 or 33 if they go that way at all. As for QBs the only way they take one is if they fall to 20 or 33 or maybe Freeman at the top of the 3rd.

March 2nd, 2009, 11:22 am
RIP Killer

My heart says Curry... but my brain thinks that if the Leo's don't get a QB from a trade that we will end up drafting Stafford, as much as I do not like it.

March 2nd, 2009, 11:28 am
Modmin Dude

Trade #1 to Denver for Cutler :wink:

March 2nd, 2009, 11:32 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think either Smith or Curry will be the pick. I choose Curry. He's the best player in the draft and he fills an immediate need.

I maintain that IF the Lions view Stafford as a "franchise QB" (whatever that means), then they must take him. I'm not convinced he is a franchise QB and I obviously have no clue what Mayhew and company think of him.

March 2nd, 2009, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

I think most "experts" have Stafford listed as a top 5 player heading into the draft. That translates into a projected "franchise" quarterback by most accounts. (Please remember that "franchise" QB doesn't mean "HofF" QB).

If the Lions concur with these sentiments, then they will take him with the first pick in the draft.

A top 5 pick worth talent at QB trumps anything else for a franchise in need of a QB. Now this doesn't take draft grade into account, but again if Stafford is viewed as one of the top 5 players in the draft the draft grades wouldn't be all that dramatically different.

Also, if I am a new GM (Mayhew) or HC (Swartz) and I realize that this team is in dire need of a QB, there is no better time professionally to select a QB. Why? They are both in the honeymoon phase right now and Lions fans will be more forgiving of mistakes. By year two the team will be expected to show improvement and by year three the honeymoon is over - really tough to draft a QB then.

Situationally, it just really sets up that this is the year to select a QB. Not only based on above, we have the top pick in the draft, two first rounders (basically 3). We were 0-16 last year so expectations should be very low. Our best player is a WR with no future signal caller to team with him. I could go on and on.

Then again, hardly anyone here wants to hear any of that and it still comes down to what draft grade the Lions give Stafford. The whole draft revolves around that IMO.

March 2nd, 2009, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I can follow your logic pablo, but i think it comes down to who will sign
a contract before we make the pick..

stafford's agent Condon is known for getting the big bucks and haveing
his clients hold out if nessary to get it..(see Jamarcus Russell)

they will try to fleece the lions if we want stafford #1

now the lions have stated they want to negotiate the contract and have it signed before they make the pick.

the money may very well determine who the #1 pick is and not the players position.

i still say Curry signs the deal and stafford holds out for the big payday

On a side note: i just noticed my post count has awarded me the sweet new tittle of.. Millen draft pick- Epic bust... :lol: :lol:

Nice..

March 2nd, 2009, 5:56 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Also, if I am a new GM (Mayhew) or HC (Swartz) and I realize that this team is in dire need of a QB, there is no better time professionally to select a QB. Why? They are both in the honeymoon phase right now and Lions fans will be more forgiving of mistakes. By year two the team will be expected to show improvement and by year three the honeymoon is over - really tough to draft a QB then.

And take the time tested and mother approved method to sink your own ship. LOL.

I said Curry. But, I would be just as pleased with Jason Smith the OLT.
With the Cassell trade, IT IS NOW VERY POSSIBLE THAT EITHER SANCHEZ OR STAFFORD WILL SLIDE TO #20 :!:

And what's more, if 1 of them do slide to #20, drop the bong and walk away :!: If they slide to #20, the rest of the teams that draft before our #33 overall won't be picking a QB. So, they will still be there at #33 :!:

We can then invest a 2nd round pick in a QB this year and use our 1st round pick on a QB next year and let them engage in a race to prove themselves franchise worthy. Then we can trade the loser for whatever we can get from them.

Reasons why I think 1 of either Sanchez or Stafford will fall:

1. KC just got Cassell - They WILL NOT pick a QB :!:
2. St. Louis will be picking an OLT to replace Pace.
3. After St. Louis where there is only a slight chance they would go QB, everyone down to the Jets will go other than QB.
4. The Jets will take either Sanchez or Stafford.
5. No-one between the Jets and us need a QB.

SO, Either Sanchez or Stafford will be there at #33 for us.

The only thing I can think of that would screw this up is if St. Louis or Chicago trade up back into the late 1st round to get the remaining QB.

But, worst case scenario, Freeman will still be there at #33.

March 2nd, 2009, 11:21 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think most "experts" have Stafford listed as a top 5 player heading into the draft. That translates into a projected "franchise" quarterback by most accounts. (Please remember that "franchise" QB doesn't mean "HofF" QB).

If the Lions concur with these sentiments, then they will take him with the first pick in the draft.

A top 5 pick worth talent at QB trumps anything else for a franchise in need of a QB. Now this doesn't take draft grade into account, but again if Stafford is viewed as one of the top 5 players in the draft the draft grades wouldn't be all that dramatically different.

Situationally, it just really sets up that this is the year to select a QB. Not only based on above, we have the top pick in the draft, two first rounders (basically 3). We were 0-16 last year so expectations should be very low. Our best player is a WR with no future signal caller to team with him. I could go on and on.

Then again, hardly anyone here wants to hear any of that and it still comes down to what draft grade the Lions give Stafford. The whole draft revolves around that IMO.

Who are these experts that say Stafford is a top 5 talent? Please don't say Kiper or McShay. Don't get me wrong, I believe the Lions need to draft a QB for development. That could come at pick #20, 33, 65, or 82. After that you might as well wait til next year. But that's not a bad idea either. Whom ever or whenever they take a QB (this year or next) he will be ridin the pine for "at least" one season and probably two. So when that third year rolls around and the honeymoon is over the kid may be ready to play. But taking Stafford at 1 gets me no more excited about the future than taking Sanchez at 20 or 33 or taking Freeman at 65 or Bomar at 82. Because they all will require time to develop.

March 3rd, 2009, 2:21 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:

Who are these experts that say Stafford is a top 5 talent? Please don't say Kiper or McShay. Don't get me wrong, I believe the Lions need to draft a QB for development. That could come at pick #20, 33, 65, or 82. After that you might as well wait til next year. But that's not a bad idea either. Whom ever or whenever they take a QB (this year or next) he will be ridin the pine for "at least" one season and probably two. So when that third year rolls around and the honeymoon is over the kid may be ready to play. But taking Stafford at 1 gets me no more excited about the future than taking Sanchez at 20 or 33 or taking Freeman at 65 or Bomar at 82. Because they all will require time to develop.

The question was who I thought the Lions would take and despite anyone's individual feelings, I tried to point out logically why my guess was that was Stafford.

As far as the so-called "experts", do you want me to list them?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... e1468.html

Here is Rick Gosselin's top ten, there isn't a draft expert who gets it right more than Goose or who I respect more. His top 3 are:

1. Aaron Curry
2. Michael Crabtree
3. Matthew Stafford

Mike Mayock from the NFL network has him #6 overall

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id= ... nfirm=true

CBS Sports has him #5 overall

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX

NFL Draft Countdown has Stafford ranked #1

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

The Football Expert has Stafford ranked #2

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/2009nf ... kings.html

NFL Draft Scout has him #5 overall