View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 That Bad Feeling 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post That Bad Feeling
Last year's draft was great, but we had both luck and victim like Butch Davis. Picking later in a weak draft there is no way that we can replicate that success. Everyone figures that Derrick Johnson is coming to Detroit with all these mocks saying it, but my sense is that they are way off. There is credence behind scenarios where those RBs could drop and that we could get stuck at #10 with second tier players and not be able to trade down.

April 18th, 2005, 6:28 pm
Div 1 - Starter

"all your weight, it falls on me and brings me down..."

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 18th, 2005, 6:30 pm
RIP Killer

I agree Yorick. However, I don't know if I'd consider Merriman or Pollack second tier players.

I personally have a gut feeling that DJ won't be there at 10. Neither will Pac-Man, Rolle, Edwards, or Williams. We'll have our choice of QB and RB. Other than that, we won't get a "pick of the litter." That's my opinion. If we covet DJ so much, we'll have to trade up to get him. If DJ is still available at #7, I could see the Vikes giving him a look if Edwards and Williams are gone, or they could take him and hope Clayton's available at #18. Who knows? Hopefully Millen can pull some crap out of his butt like his did last year, I just hope he doesn't fling it at us.

April 18th, 2005, 8:14 pm
NFL Veteran

I'm feeling good about this week. But people are right... the media can be way off on how teams actually view players. But if they are right, DJ is ripe for the picking at 10.

It is true though. The premium on corners is ultra high. So much that DJ does in fact take a back seat to them. If I were any other team besides the lions... I just may choose Rolle or Carlos Rogers within that top 10. But the fact that I have Bly, Bryant and Smith on my team, it reduces their value to us.

We can certainly thank the fact that DJ, 'sucks at getting off blocks' and 'doesn't wrap up well.' That may be the general conception, but to me it's really a misrepresentation of the truth. Because DJ doesn't 'shed blocks' he runs around him. That's the same thing that Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis do. He doesn't 'wrap up,' he 'secures and punches' to force the fumble. The fact that he was able to do this on a consistent basis so much that it became a trademark move tells me that it was a strength of his and no fluke. He led his team and was a league leader in tackles and career tackles so that means players stop in their tracks when he's in there presence. I'm not questioning his ability nor his technique. If the other teams want to pass on him... fine.

Either way, I'm prepared in the event he's not available, because that means we'll be getting another top-tier player. The only thing I'd be averse to is taking a running back. Any of the other top prospects will be some kind of upgrade to our team.

April 19th, 2005, 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
I'm feeling good about this week. But people are right... the media can be way off on how teams actually view players. But if they are right, DJ is ripe for the picking at 10.

It is true though. The premium on corners is ultra high. So much that DJ does in fact take a back seat to them. If I were any other team besides the lions... I just may choose Rolle or Carlos Rogers within that top 10. But the fact that I have Bly, Bryant and Smith on my team, it reduces their value to us.

We can certainly thank the fact that DJ, 'sucks at getting off blocks' and 'doesn't wrap up well.' That may be the general conception, but to me it's really a misrepresentation of the truth. Because DJ doesn't 'shed blocks' he runs around him. That's the same thing that Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis do. He doesn't 'wrap up,' he 'secures and punches' to force the fumble. The fact that he was able to do this on a consistent basis so much that it became a trademark move tells me that it was a strength of his and no fluke. He led his team and was a league leader in tackles and career tackles so that means players stop in their tracks when he's in there presence. I'm not questioning his ability nor his technique. If the other teams want to pass on him... fine.

Either way, I'm prepared in the event he's not available, because that means we'll be getting another top-tier player. The only thing I'd be averse to is taking a running back. Any of the other top prospects will be some kind of upgrade to our team.

Great post Blue :wink: I agree!!!

April 19th, 2005, 3:04 am
Head Cheerleader

Apr. 19 - Erasmus James is definitely on the Lions' short list of defensive players, reports John Clayton. The Lions would like to add a pass rusher after the retirement of Robert Porcher and James fits perfectly into their 4-3 scheme as an end. While most people think Derrick Johnson is the Lions' pick, James could make a late push or could go there if Johnson is off the board before the No. 10 pick.

April 19th, 2005, 12:28 pm

I believe that. It would all depend on his health issues. There is really no way for us casual fans to evaluate that. Talent wise he has good upside and is a good fit for the 4-3. However, I would find it hard to believe we would pass on safe pick like Derrick Johnson. If Johnson is available than trading down becomes viable and Ware, James, and Pollack become real possibilities.

April 19th, 2005, 1:16 pm
League MVP

Millen has proven that he will gamble on players with an injury history in the draft but cut veterans that get hurt.

April 19th, 2005, 5:09 pm
RIP Killer

Millen has proven that he will gamble on players with an injury history in the draft but cut veterans that get hurt.

Interesting point. I've always thought that was kind of weird but never really thought about it.

April 19th, 2005, 6:10 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I like John Clayton, but I would be real interested to know how Clayton knows who is high on the Lions list? I think Clayton is blowing smoke.

If DJ or Merriman aren't avaialable by the teams get going at #10, they should go after Marcus Spears. If they aren't sold on Spears, trade down and see if Shaun Cody or David Pollack are available. hello2.gif

April 19th, 2005, 7:18 pm
QB Coach

FYI...What ESPN now says.....

Apr. 19 - Erasmus James is definitely on the Lions' short list of defensive players, reports John Clayton. The Lions would like to add a pass rusher after the retirement of Robert Porcher and James fits perfectly into their 4-3 scheme as an end. While most people think Derrick Johnson is the Lions' pick, James could make a late push or could go there if Johnson is off the board before the No. 10 pick.

Isn't Clayton the same guy who said a week ago that we were looking at a wide receiver? :?:

April 19th, 2005, 9:40 pm
Profile WWW

"all your weight, it falls on me and brings me down..."-Lol.

Clayton shares the same source as Killer K. There is loose screw in the executive toilet. If you plunk your ear to the pipe in the sub-basement, you sometimes hear . . .

April 19th, 2005, 10:25 pm
QB Coach

As for your scenario worries Tom, I wouldn't worry.

1) Alex Smith - they are negotiating with him as we speak.
2) Could be a trade... MIN may want to move up and get Braylon Edwards... if MIA is forced to pick, then it's Ronnie Brown
3) If Braylon Edwards drops, he's Cleveland's man... from what i've heard. If not, Aaron Rodgers will be taken, I believe. They don't have anyone else to pick. No way Derrick Johnson is worth #3.
4) Chicago is rumored to be enamored with Carnell Williams. My source states that he is their guy. He's been saying it for 3 months.
5) Tampa would like Alex Smith, but teams will want too much... and I don't see a move being made. They aren't high on Aaron Rodgers. Mike Williams could be their guy. Unless Ronnie Brown slips, as Braylon would go #2 instead of Brown.
6) Antrel Rolle said in a chat that "he didn't expect to go lower than #6". If only he was a bright child, and realized you aren't supposed to say stuff like that.
7) Minnesota is enamored with Braylon Edwards. They want him. They aren't high on Derrick Johnson. If they can get, for fair value, a top 3 pick to select Braylon, they will. If not, they can sit tight and take Mike Williams.
8) The Cards want Benson. There is a possibility that Benson, Rolle, Williams, and Brown are all gone by this time, if the MIA-MIN trade happens. Then, they would take Carlos Rogers, who they are high on.
9) Washington will take a corner... likely Pac-Man Jones
10) Here are the likely options
1) Derrick Johnson - should be avaliable... he isn't going top 10.
2) Carlos Rogers - a quality corner
3) Shawne Merriman - Kalimba Edwards Jr.
4) David Pollack - Millen is rumored to like him... he will go top 15, I believe.
5) Erasmus James - A healthy James is a top 5 pick.

I don't see us getting screwed at all. What scenario makes you think that we will lose out on Johnson, Rolle, and Jones? For that to happen, Rodgers, and 2 elite RBs would have to fall out of the top 9, and I don't see that happening.

BTW - i'm somewhat feeling some love for Pollack. Keep him in the mix w/James if all targets are gone

April 20th, 2005, 12:49 am
Profile WWW

My fears were based on Arizona not taking Benson and Mike Williams not being selected in the top 10. As I have said, I have a gut feelings Green might like DJ.

Also, if SF takes Smith I am not sure that Rodgers goes in the top 10.

Also, there could be a lot of trades as you say.

Still, the good feeling scenarios like DJ or James or trading down 2-4 spots and getting Pollack remain viable.

April 20th, 2005, 5:01 am
RIP Killer

I guess, it mainly depends on whether Cleveland takes a QB. I could see them taking Braylon if Miami doesn't. But who knows. They could always take Rolle. Savage is known to build awesome Ds, could start with Rolle. If Cleveland does take Braylon and TB takes Williams...Minn could give DJ a long look, or reach a little for Williamson. I don't know, just different scenarios I've been thinking about. Either way, I expect the worst and hope for the best. Makes the disappointment easier...like when watching Lions games!

April 20th, 2005, 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next