View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 That Bad Feeling 
Div 1 - Starter

Conversion, I am in complete agreement with you on the draft day mindset. It is the pessimist's credo: hope for the best, but expect the worst.

I also agree that the major hitches for DJ are starting to change. It is beginning to look as though the Brownies might be reaching to select DJ third overall. At this point, my biggest concern is MIN with that #7 pick. Of course MIN does need to be thinking WR (or even possibly RB depending on who falls to them, according to Peter King of SI), but they could easily expect to have a shot at Clayton, White, and possibly even Williamson or BMW at the #18 pick. Unless they feel that only one of that group would be acceptable, I could see them being free to take the best player available strategy to snag DJ at #7.

DJ in purple would be the worst desecration imaginable.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 20th, 2005, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

DJ in purple would be the worst desecration imaginable.

If that's the case, I can put Az and CRog on my personal IR list for fantasy ball...Would be sad day. We'd have to bring up practice squad receivers like Kircus and Vines. Vines wouldn't be bad, but not as a #2 guy.

April 20th, 2005, 10:59 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Kirwan says pretty emphatically that DJ does not slip past Ari. That is what I always believed. We will see. Also notice his advice: draft Pollack at #3?

" "1. I believe if the Browns are stuck at No. 3 and can't get any team to help them move down, they will take Braylon Edwards. They would much rather move down and take a player like DE/LB David Pollack. I say if you like Pollack, just take him at No. 3.

2. Rumors around this week said Derrick Johnson is slipping in the draft. Well, that's why they're called rumors. He will not get past Arizona at No. 8. The Cardinals will get the Travis Henry trade for L.J. Shelton done with the Bills before the draft, especially if they swap second-round picks. The Cards can come back in the second round at No. 55 then and grab a good corner like Bryant McFadden or even Ronald Bartell."

April 20th, 2005, 2:34 pm
RIP Killer

I think they've gotta be looking at a stellar CB with that pick...They need more help there than with LB. I think Kirwan's spouting a crapshoot.

Pollack at #3?? Wow. I think he's worthy of a top ten pick, the guy's an amazing athlete, but #3?

There's no way McFadden is in Rolle's league...or even Carlos Rogers' league...

April 20th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Well, Killer assuaged some of my doomsday fears. Maybe the Lions would pass on Rolle and draft Pollack at #10?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/inde ... cript.html

April 20th, 2005, 5:18 pm
QB Coach

2. Rumors around this week said Derrick Johnson is slipping in the draft. Well, that's why they're called rumors. He will not get past Arizona at No. 8. The Cardinals will get the Travis Henry trade for L.J. Shelton done with the Bills before the draft, especially if they swap second-round picks. The Cards can come back in the second round at No. 55 then and grab a good corner like Bryant McFadden or even Ronald Bartell."

Being the Cards fan I am, I can say that the Henry trade is FAR from being done... Green is adament about trading "his" draft picks, and will not do so. He wants to acquire choices. He isn't moving down in the 2nd. That deal is off.

April 20th, 2005, 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I think DJ could easily slip to #10. If you look at the team needs for the teams ahead of us, very few need a linebacker. Sure, Arizona could use a linebacker, but in all likelihood they'll have a chance to draft one of those special backs and fill a pressing need. If a running back is not available or they trade for Travis Henry, they could also take a cornerback, which would present good value and also fill a need.

I just don't see the Cardinals drafting DJ. Sure, DJ has the potential to be a tremendous player, but so do those cornerbacks, and it's not as if people are heralding DJ as the second coming of Lawrence Taylor. I would be more worried about the Vikings (who have filled their most pressing needs in FA and could thus take BPA) snagging him at #7.

April 21st, 2005, 12:33 am
NFL Veteran

and it's not as if people are heralding DJ as the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

True. No one except for me and blueblood. I think that's a good thing.

April 21st, 2005, 1:32 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

If Cleveland trades their pick (which is possible if Edwards and Smith are gone), then they will get Johnson.

If Cleveland keeps the pick, and Edwards and Smith aren't there, then they could take Johnson.

Rolle is going 6th, pretty much a lock now that Dyson went to Seattle.

Those are our top 2 targets.

If there are no trades in the top 3, then consider DJ ours. :arrow:

April 21st, 2005, 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
and it's not as if people are heralding DJ as the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

True. No one except for me and blueblood. I think that's a good thing.

Shush!

8-[

Brian, Yorick, you guys cannot even imagine how fragile my psyche is right now!!

I just looked in the mirror
Things aren't looking so good
I'm looking California
And feeling Minnesota
So now you know, who gets mystified
Show me the power child
I'd like to say
That I'm down on my knees today
It gives me the butterflies
Gives me away
Till I'm up on my feet again

As much as I try to convince myself that the Lions will be in a position to nab DJ and that they will select him, I must admit that the bad feeling haunts me, too. However, at this point, there is nothing more that I can do but wait for about 2 pm on Saturday and see what happens.

Like HB said, I actually feel comforted every time I hear some Merrill Hoge dope predict underwhelming results from DJ. Of course, if it is so easy for me to discount all the negative publicity swirling about him lately, then surely the warrooms of CLE, MIN, and ARZ will also be discounting the wisdom of those predictions.

So I am going to come clean now about my motivation for adding DJ. I have read many strong, valid points about how the Lions should not put too much stock in this kid: 1) since it is not an area of need; 2) since he may be more valuable as trade bait; 3) since he just lowers a shoulder and obliterates ball carriers instead of wrapping up; and 4) since he probably won't be available at #10.

Well, I don't care. Simply put, like Sean Taylor last year, I just feel that the guy will have the most immediate impact on a defense that lacks playmakers.

1) Not and area of need
Big deal. Addressing definite needs is for teams that have very few weaknesses (like Philly) and teams that are fortunate enough to have a player available at the needed position whose value is appropriate to their selection number (WAS and their need for a replacement CB). When you fit neither of those descriptions, you take the BPA! Fortunately, the Lions may have a shot at a game changing, possible perennial all-pro in this draft that is so noticeably bereft of sure bets. Certainly, a sure bet in the NFL draft is as rare as a Bill Schreoder diving catch, but I just do not believe that there is any more sure bet than DJ in this draft. Period.

2) DJ more valuable as trade bait
To a bad team, Peyton Manning would be more valuable as trade bait. But here is the catch. Good teams have to keep some good players, too.
My thinking is this: some team is going to boast Derrick Johnson as a key element to their improved defense this fall. I would be crushed if the Lions allowed him to go be somebody else's playmaker. And for what? an additional back up corner, safety, or DE? A replacement for Big Daddy when and if he retires 2 seasons from now?!
My next bold (some will say assinine) statement: I can't think of two players beyond pick 15 in this draft that I would rather have than one DJ. People talk about the atrocity of leaving Dirty or Holmes odd-man out to make room for DJ. But if we traded the right to pick DJ for two picks (let's say to DAL for the 20 and #42 overall--as if Parcells was so simple), we'd have a shot at say Jammal Brown (#20), Justin Tuck (#41), and maybe Ernest Shazor (#42). Where if we kept the pick and took DJ, we could still have a shot at either of the second round players I suggested. DJ would make our secondary better immediately because of his outstanding ability to cover underneath. And like HB has rightly argued, any DE taken in this draft (especially later than about pick 15) is probably likley to be just another cog in our rotating wheel at LE.

3) DJ doesn't wrap up ball carriers
You're right, DJ BLOWS UP ball carriers. Do you want maybe a nice lace trim on the new Lions uniforms too?
Ever since Mark Carrier, Ron Rice, and Tracy Scroggins have departed, there just haven't been enough bone-rattling bombers out there wearing blue and silver. Wouldn't it be nice to think there was somebody capable of laying the law down when a slot WR starts trying to get cute with jukes in the middle of the field?

4) DJ pry won't be available at #10
Right again. Forget about it then. Guess we could always use another third string player to put pressure on the starters....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 21st, 2005, 11:18 pm

It changes every moment, but suddenly it looks like no trade at the top 3. However, if one goes down it could set off a game of musical chairs.

April 22nd, 2005, 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2