View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pro Day Results 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Pro Day Results
It looks like my 5th round QB Stephen McGee is putting himself more into that first pick of the third round range if the Lions are going to take him. I've been a fan of his since the Aggies landed him and then had to struggle watching them not use him properly. He's the perfect one or two year project for the Lions in my opinion. I was hoping he'd have a good Pro Day but apparently he really impressed. Mike Sherman said from everything he's seen so far from tape, the East-West Shrine game, combine, and his Pro Day he'd take him in the 3rd round.

I don't know how much any of you got to watch A&M games but the kid is a baller and the definition of fiery team leader. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of footage of him throwing while at A&M but he can throw the ball and actually came from a pasing offense in high school before been forced into the option offense.

This is what NFL.com had to say about the A&M Pro Day performance(s):

Aggies QB McGee shines in Texas A&M Pro Day
Posted: March 4th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Danny Gorrer, Justin Brantly, Mike Goodson, Stephen McGee, Texas A&M

Stephen McGee.

Remember this name because he could be a real sleeper in next month’s draft:

Certainly the 17 NFL scouts and one coach who showed up at Texas A&M’s pro day will remember the quarterback and his workout. The Aggies held their pro day on Wednesday, but it actually began with meet-and-greets Tuesday night at Wings-n-More in College Station, where scouts had an opportunity to conduct personal player interviews as well as ask questions of the A&M coaching staff.

The only non-scout at the pro day was Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula, who put McGee through QB drills. And let me tell you, McGee looked outstanding.

McGee, who ran the second-fastest 40 among quarterbacks at the combine (4.66), measured 6-2 7/8 and weighed 222 pounds, down 3 from his combine weigh-in.

Watch out for this kid on draft day.

Among the 14 players who worked out for scouts:

Running back Mike Goodson (5-11 ¾, 212 pounds) ran the 40 in 4.43 and 4.47 seconds and did positional drills for the scouts. His 40 times might be inflated a little because A&M is one of three schools (Wisconsin and Ohio State are the others) to lay down a rubber surface over the top of their indoor field turf, which can result in quicker times. Goodson ran a 4.54 40 at the combine, the seventh-fastest among running backs in Indy two weeks ago.
Defensive end Michael Bennett (6-2 7/8, 222) ran two 40s, both in 4.86 seconds, and had a vertical of 36.5 inches. The vertical jump event was conducted by A&M coaches.
Punter Justin Brantly (6-3 3/8, 247 pounds) looked pretty good in his workout.
Cornerback Danny Gorrer (5-11 5/8, 185 pounds) ran the 40 in 4.42 and 4.40 seconds, had a 35.5-inch vertical, a 9-foot 5-inch broad jump, and a 6.90-second 3-cone drill. He slipped in his short shuttle and no time was recorded.

March 6th, 2009, 6:19 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

It says 17 scouts were there, do we know if the Lions sent a scout? I'm all for looking at sleepers at QB on the second day.

March 6th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Ive heard enough good things about him (And would much rather take a 2 yr Project in the 3rd round than a 2 yr project with the 1st overall pick) that I could see pulling the trigger on him with our 2nd Pick in the 3rd round. We would be getting fiar or good value for him there and would be able to have a potential QB of the future without paying 60 mil before the 1st Pass is tossed.

March 6th, 2009, 9:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

You know that it's a bad quarterback class when a constantly injured option quarterback is getting this much hype! 8)

March 6th, 2009, 10:15 pm
NFL Veteran

MU's Hood continues offseason success
Thursday, March 5, 2009 | 8:11 p.m. CST
Former Missouri defensive tackle Ziggy Hood performs a drill at Thursday's MU Pro Day at Devine Pavilion. ¦ VALERIE MOSLEY/Missourian BY Robert Mays
COLUMBIA — Ziggy Hood's father claims his son isn't complacent.

On MU's first Pro Day for NFL scouts on Thursday, Hood proved him right.

At last month's NFL Scouting Combine, Hood put on a show for the coaches and scouts in attendance. Hood did 34 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, good for fourth among defensive linemen present. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.91 seconds, the second-best time for all the defensive tackles there. But rather than rely on his combine numbers, Hood did everything he could to make his wait a lot shorter on NFL Draft Day in late April.

"I was told that I had a big combine workout, but it's bigger than that," Hood said. "It's a personal goal to me to make myself better. It's about going out there and achieving things that I probably couldn't achieve on a daily basis."

Those achievements started on the first test of the day Thursday. Hood sat among a group of scattered teammates, his iPod headphones in, using the smooth crooning of Jamie Foxx to calm himself down before he made his way to the bench press.

Hood usually listens to more upbeat music before a lift, but the stage he found himself on provided plenty of stimulation on its own.

"I actually just wanted to relax," Hood said. "If you're too uptight here you're not going to do too well. I just wanted to make myself feel a little better."

After three of his teammates tried to do their best with the 225 pounds of weights, Hood moved onto the bench. He sat upright for a moment, his head just clearing the bar, and after a stinging slap to the ribs from strength and conditioning coach Pat Ivey he took a single deep breath, slid down onto the bench and lifted the bar from its supports.

To a growing set of cheers from the mob of teammates present, and for an audience of scouts donning a rainbow of Viking purple, Packer green, Giant blue and more than a dozen other pieces of logo-stamped garb, Hood launched the bar up from his gargantuan chest 35 times. The performance was equal to his personal record, and just one rep more than his vaunted display at the combine. But that single rep made all the difference.

Hood leapt from the bench and in complete unison with the rest of his teammates let out a roar that echoed above the music playing in the room.

"If I did 34 or less, I would've been up tonight questioning what I did wrong," Hood said. "I would've been thinking about what I can do better.

"To get it will help me sleep better."

That self-motivation provides no surprise to Hood's father. Charles Hood coached his son when he was young, and he says that in every aspect of his son's life, he has never needed an extra push from anyone.

"I never had to yell at him," Charles Hood said. "I never once had to spank him. He always did what you told him, and most of the time you didn't even need to tell him."

Charles Hood watched his son's impressive display of strength wearing a shirt that features a photograph of him and his soon-to-be famous son. Ziggy is in his uniform, his massive arm wrapped around his slender father. Around the photo, in large golden type are the words, "Dreams Do Come True."

If the dream is the NFL and a hefty paycheck, then Ziggy Hood has used the past three weeks to make it an inevitable reality. Hood is widely regarded as one of the best three defensive tackles in the draft, and even before his showing on Thursday was thought to be a potential first round pick. But for Charles Hood, most of the dream is already complete, and it was long before his son traveled to Indianapolis for the combine.

He beams about his son's accomplishments, but the praise never gets to football. He talks of the education that his son worked to receive. He recalls how Ziggy always did things the right way, never "joyriding around or doing that teenage stuff" which gets many young stars in trouble.

"He was always focused on where he wanted to get to," Charles Hood said.

On Thursday, when the contingent of MU players moves from the weight room to the team's indoor complex, that focus and Ziggy Hood's dominance moves with them. His 35.5-inch vertical jump was also a personal best, and would have put him in the top 10 of all defensive linemen at the combine. Another roar emerges from the black-and-gold-clad onlookers.

For the rest of the day Hood displays his elite speed and quickness for his position in a variety of agility drills. But eventually fatigue sets in. He fails to follow directions and makes an error during a drill run by a scout from the New Orleans Saints. The misstep is met with a smile from the scout. Hood has already wowed enough of the crowd for it to be nothing but a positive day. Tiny lapses matter much less than they did a few hours ago.

But they still matter for Ziggy Hood. As he crosses the line to finish the drill a clap of frustration rings from his nine-and-a-half-inch wide hands and around the facility. Where scouts and onlookers see a brief and probably insignificant misstep, he sees missed opportunity.

He doesn't plan on missing any others.

When asked how he feels about his ascension up the draft and his position as a possible first round pick Hood shakes his head and doesn't even allow himself to entertain the thought.

"Don't settle," Hood shoots back. "A lot of people are telling you the good news, but you can still fall flat on your face. Keep giving them a reason as to why you should go in the first round, keep working."

He then says that he will be back for the second Pro Day on March 19. He claims that he knows he has 36 reps in him somewhere.

Dad was right. Even great is never great enough.

March 7th, 2009, 2:02 am
Profile WWW

You know that it's a bad quarterback class when a constantly injured option quarterback is getting this much hype! 8)

He wasn't a constantly injured QB and he isn't an option QB. He was actually a very good high school passer before being misused in an option offense. The kid can throw the ball, is highly intelligent, and is one of the few natural leaders that are available at the QB position. He also has shown up in big games, leading the Aggies to two wins over the Longhorns. From what he has shown when he did throw the ball if he were on Texas he'd get the same hype as McCoy is getting.

March 7th, 2009, 8:15 am

Another of my favorite guys that doesn't get a lot of attention is MLB Frantz Joseph. His numbers weren't eye popping but he was impressive in position drills and was said to be smiling the entire day. He was quoted as saying he didn't care what his numbers were "just put a RB in front of me and let me go get him." He's a guy that loves the game of football and doing all the things to be the best on the field. One thing I always here about him is how much of a student of the game he is and all the time he spends in the film room studying opponent's tendencies.

Here are his results from NFL.com:

Florida Atlantic LB Joseph gets his day in spotlight
Posted: February 27th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Florida Atlantic, Frantz Joseph, Gil Brandt

Ten NFL teams sent representatives to Florida Atlantic to see the private workout for 14 prospects on Thursday. The players ran on field turf.

LB Frantz Joseph — who did not work out at the combine — was the headliner. He checked in at 6-foot-1, 242 pounds.

Joseph had an impressive workout with two 40-yard dashes at 4.85 seconds, a 27.5 inch vertical, a 9-foot, 7.5-inch long jump, a 4.41-second short shuttle, a 7.34-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

– Gil Brandt

March 7th, 2009, 8:28 am
National Champion

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:

He wasn't a constantly injured QB and he isn't an option QB. He was actually a very good high school passer before being misused in an option offense. The kid can throw the ball, is highly intelligent, and is one of the few natural leaders that are available at the QB position. He also has shown up in big games, leading the Aggies to two wins over the Longhorns. From what he has shown when he did throw the ball if he were on Texas he'd get the same hype as McCoy is getting.

He played in a zone option offense for most of his career and missed almost all of last season with a torn labrum. I don't want to say the kid can't succeed, but late round QB's rarely do, and those that do are never the ones that you "expect" (see McPherson, Adrian). By the way, here is my list of the most overrated QB's in this year's draft:

1. Pat White
2. Mark Sanchez
3. Stephen McGee
4. Josh Freeman
5. Rhett Bomar

March 7th, 2009, 9:10 am
Peewee Leaguer

Another of my favorite guys that doesn't get a lot of attention is MLB Frantz Joseph. His numbers weren't eye popping but he was impressive in position drills and was said to be smiling the entire day. He was quoted as saying he didn't care what his numbers were "just put a RB in front of me and let me go get him." He's a guy that loves the game of football and doing all the things to be the best on the field. One thing I always here about him is how much of a student of the game he is and all the time he spends in the film room studying opponent's tendencies.

Here are his results from NFL.com:

Florida Atlantic LB Joseph gets his day in spotlight
Posted: February 27th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Florida Atlantic, Frantz Joseph, Gil Brandt

Ten NFL teams sent representatives to Florida Atlantic to see the private workout for 14 prospects on Thursday. The players ran on field turf.

LB Frantz Joseph — who did not work out at the combine — was the headliner. He checked in at 6-foot-1, 242 pounds.

Joseph had an impressive workout with two 40-yard dashes at 4.85 seconds, a 27.5 inch vertical, a 9-foot, 7.5-inch long jump, a 4.41-second short shuttle, a 7.34-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

– Gil Brandt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNstliEo4Hs

March 7th, 2009, 10:14 am
#1 Overall Pick

From the Western Illinois pro day... just in case somebody might have missed it!
Quote:
Linebacker Jason Williams posted the day’s best results in both the 40 and the vertical jump. His time of 4.49 seconds was .07 seconds faster than the quickest linebacker invited to last month’s NFL combine, and would have placed second among all cornerbacks and third among the safeties. His vertical jump of 39 inches was two inches better than any of the combine’s linebackers. Williams put up 26 repetitions in the bench press.

Shoot dang!

That kid is a good athlete.

Quote:
Buccaneers | Plan to hold private workout with J. Williams
Eagles | Expected to hold private workout with J. Williams
Patriots | Expected to hold private workout with J. Williams

Looks like we should be keeping an eye on this kid.

Also....

How about the athleticism of the big guy, Ziggy?
Quote:
Ziggy Hood's dominance moves with them. His 35.5-inch vertical jump was also a personal best, and would have put him in the top 10 of all defensive linemen at the combine

How does a 300-pounder get that far off the floor???

March 9th, 2009, 6:08 pm
NFL Veteran

I just read that he ran on a basketball court.

Quote:
03/06/09 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT RISER: Jason Williams OLB Western Illinois: Williams didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - the time came on a basketball court. But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. - Rob Rang, NFL Draft Scout

He has nice all around production. Although against lesser competition. THe one big team they played last year, Arkansas, he did have his best game. 7 Tackles, 2 TFL's for 14 yards, 2 Sacks for 14 yards, 1 pass defensed, and 2 forced fumbles against the Razorbacks.

NFL Draft Scout gives him a 5th round grade. 14th ranked OLB. But this pro day may help him a lot.

Here's his prod day results:

Height: 6010
Weight: 241
40 Yrd Dash: 4.49
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 39
Broad Jump: 10'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

March 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Quote:
03/09/09 - Georgia Tech Pro day: Johnson dazzled the crowd of more than 40 NFL executives and personnel men Monday, including Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, head coach Mike Smith and Carolina head coach John Fox. Johnson even stayed around to run some pass routes as a tight end for quarterbacks Calvin Booker and Taylor Bennett. Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, with one team — the Detroit Lions — clocking him at 4.49. That was substantially faster than the 4.66 he ran at the NFL scouting combine in February. “There is no surprise that Michael Johnson is a heck of an athlete, a heck of a physical specimen,” Dimitroff said. “Things will work out very well for him well in the National Football League, not to mention a number of other players on the Georgia Tech football team.” Johnson, 6-foot-7, 266-pounds, went to dinner with Miami Dolphins defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers on Sunday at the Fox Sports Grill. Several coaches from the New York Jets took turns speaking with Johnson Monday. He advised not to read too much into the dinner or the conversations. “I’ll be happy with whomever takes me and they are going to be happy for taking me,” Johnson said. “Wherever I go … I want to win. I’ve never won a championship and that’s my main goal.” - D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

edited: Added official pro day results
Dates: 03/09/09
Height: 6067
Weight: 266
40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: 7.42

Combine
Height: 6067
Weight: 266
40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
20 Yrd Dash: 2.68
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 28
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.37
3-Cone Drill: 7.42

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue on March 10th, 2009, 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

March 9th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Here's another guy I'd like at the 33 pick.

Quote:
03/09/09 - Utah Pro day: The University of Utah pro day was held today in Salt Lake City, with 21 teams and 13 players in attendance. Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Ron Meeks was among the attendees, as were defensive backfield coaches from the Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions and a defensive line coach from the Seattle Seahawks. The pro day was held indoors on FieldTurf. Smith measured in at 6-3½ and 209 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 and 4.49 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical and a 9-5 broad jump. He participated in position drills but did not do any shuttle drills, save for the 60-yard shuttle. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Pro Day
Dates: 03/09/09
Height: 6034
Weight: 214
40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Combine
Height: 6034
Weight: 214
40 Yrd Dash: 4.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 10
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 6.92

The one who wowed everyone was the other CB.
Quote:
CB McCain shows off speed at Utah pro day
Posted: March 9th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brian Johnson, Brice McCain, Louie Sakoda, Paul Kruger, Sean Smith

The University of Utah pro day was held today in Salt Lake City, with 13 players working out and 21 NFL teams represented. Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Ron Meeks was among the attendees, as were defensive backfield coaches from the Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions and a defensive line coach from the Seattle Seahawks.

The pro day was held indoors on FieldTurf.

Many eyes were on CB Sean Smith and DE Paul Kruger, though Brice McCain might have stolen the show with his 40-yard dash times, which were faster than any cornerback’s time at the NFL combine.

McCain, who measured in at 5-foot-9 and 181 pounds, ran times of 4.33 and 4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He had a 36 1/2-inch vertical and a 10-foot-3 broad jump. He did not do any lifting, but he looked very good in position drills.

Nicholls State’s Lardarius Webb turned in the fastest time for cornerbacks at the combine at 4.46 seconds.

Smith measured in at 6-3 1/2 and 209 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 and 4.49 seconds. He had a 32-inch vertical and a 9-5 broad jump. He participated in position drills but did not do any shuttle drills, save for the 60-yard shuttle.

Kruger, at 6-4 1/2 and 260 pounds, ran 40 times of 4.80 and 4.79. He had a 32-inch vertical leap and a 9-1 broad jump, and he did 22 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press. He did not participate in shuttle drills.

K Louie Sakoda and QB Brian Johnson were among other notable players working out.

Sakoda measured in at 5-8 3/4 and 174 pounds. He kicked off for interested teams but did not do any drills.

Johnson, at 6-0 5/8 and 211 pounds, ran the 40 in 4.88 and 4.89 seconds. He had a 28½-inch vertical and an 8-6 broad jump. He ran the three-cone drill in 4.41 seconds and the 20-yard shuttle in 7.09 seconds.

– Gil Brandt

Lions sent their DB coaches (I believe we have two) so we're taking a close look at Sean. Maybe McCain as a returner.

March 9th, 2009, 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Glad to hear that our heads are in the game with Sean Smith. I am excited about possibly getting him late on day one.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

March 9th, 2009, 11:04 pm
Modmin Dude

ANDRE SMITH STRUGGLES AT ALABAMA PRO DAY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 11, 2009, 3:32 p.m. EDT
Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith didn’t perform well at his Pro Day workout today in front of the entire league after creating a stir by leaving the NFL scouting combine early last month. One league source told us: “He bombed.”

According to NFL.com, Smith was not “overly impressive.” His top 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he bench pressed 225 pounds just 19 times.

According to our league source, Smith ran with no shirt on and was visibly overweight. With a group of trainers urging him on to run faster, Smith had a generally rough day.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... a-pro-day/

March 11th, 2009, 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next