View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pro Day Results 
Veteran General Manager

Wow. Do you see how big Maybin got? Re... dic... u... lous... You could now label him a freak, lol.

25 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN 2 MONTHS?

Can you say Steroids? Or HGH?

Stay away. Just Stay away :!:

March 19th, 2009, 11:08 am
Div 1 - Starter

Gil Brandt reports that Stafford was straight money on his pro day, zinging darts with the vigor of Brett Favre out there.

Dang it all, unless somebody offers us a trade down scenario based on this, we are taking him. I don't like it, but I can see the writing on the wall.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

March 19th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Modmin Dude

REPORT: STAFFORD SHINES AT GEORGIA PRO DAY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 19, 2009, 4:28 p.m. EDT
University of Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford was accurate on 47 of 50 throws at his Pro Day workout today, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.

Per the article, Stafford reportedly threw every type of pass. One highlight was a 35-yard strike down the sideline to teammate Demiko Goodman.

Like many high-profile quarterback workouts, it was a scripted session.

Every NFL team was represented at the campus workout in Athens, Ga., including Detroit Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew and Lions quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton. The Lions hold the first overall selection after going winless last season.

Seattle Seahawks General Manager Tim Ruskell was at the workout, too. The Seahawks have the fourth overall pick.

According to Brandt, the workout should put aside any reservations for the Lions if they want to draft him with the top overall pick.

“If Stafford has one fault, it’s that he throws the ball a lot like Brett Favre,” Brandt writes. “Because he has such a strong arm and is such a great athlete, Stafford takes chances on throws that he shouldn’t attempt. It’s not because he doesn’t understand coverages; it’s just that he has superior confidence in his arm and ability.

“That’s a fault that can be corrected. Some say Stafford is an underachiever, but I think that’s an unfair label. He won at Alabama in overtime. You don’t win those kind of games unless you’re a competitor.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/ ... a-pro-day/

March 19th, 2009, 4:45 pm
QB Coach

The more I hear about him and see what he's done, I'm warming up to the idea of Stafford as a Lion. Sure, you can say he's not a sure thing, but the reality is that there's no such thing when it comes to QBs. For every Peyton Manning, there are 5 Ryan Leafs. I don't know for sure if he's going to be good or bad, and neither does anyone else. At this point, I don't think I'd be too angry with Stafford, Curry, or an OT. All are needed, and I think all could be good picks.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 19th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Modmin Dude

The more I hear about him and see what he's done, I'm warming up to the idea of Stafford as a Lion. Sure, you can say he's not a sure thing, but the reality is that there's no such thing when it comes to QBs. For every Peyton Manning, there are 5 Ryan Leafs. I don't know for sure if he's going to be good or bad, and neither does anyone else. At this point, I don't think I'd be too angry with Stafford, Curry, or an OT. All are needed, and I think all could be good picks.

Agreed! Whoever they pick at #1 (or anywhere else for that matter) I want them to succeed and help the Lions climb out of the NFL's basement.

Go Lions!
headbang.gif

March 19th, 2009, 4:59 pm
National Champion

Touchdown Jesus wrote:

Agreed! Whoever they pick at #1 (or anywhere else for that matter) I want them to succeed and help the Lions climb out of the NFL's basement.

Go Lions!
headbang.gif

+1 my friends. With the shear number of early picks we have, I can envision multiple ways of making out team a lot better than it is right now, whether it's going QB OT def, or linemen first, or all defense, etc. I'll support whoever we chose wholeheartedly, because I feel like we have a smarter staff than we've had in the past.

March 19th, 2009, 5:08 pm
NFL Veteran

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Gil Brandt reports that Stafford was straight money on his pro day, zinging darts with the vigor of Brett Favre out there.

Dang it all, unless somebody offers us a trade down scenario based on this, we are taking him. I don't like it, but I can see the writing on the wall.

I think the bigger determining factor will be the private workout the Lions have scheduled with him. Where they can make him do whatever they want. Like wags highlighted, this was scripted. He had months to run through the same pre-determined work out, it shouldn't really be a surprise that he looked good.

Anyway, I'm good with Stafford....

... at the 20th pick.

March 19th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Macho Harris ran a 4.44 40 on a fast surface that was adjusted to a 4.51 because of the track.

Also, Vontae Davis ran a 4.44. Doubt he'll be there at 20.

March 19th, 2009, 6:59 pm
NFL Team Captain

blueblood1 wrote:

I think the bigger determining factor will be the private workout the Lions have scheduled with him. Where they can make him do whatever they want. Like wags highlighted, this was scripted. He had months to run through the same pre-determined work out, it shouldn't really be a surprise that he looked good.

... at the 20th pick.

That's right HB, i agree. The scripted workout shouldn't be the deciding factor. He know what he is going to do and worked on it for weeks. He also has familiar WR's and knows their faults and limits too. I'd be interested to see what the Lions think after their private workout.

If we take Curry @ #1 and get Stafford @20, I'm a happy man. That would be a dream scenario and very unlikely to happen.

March 19th, 2009, 7:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
blueblood1 wrote:

... at the 20th pick.

That's right HB, i agree. The scripted workout shouldn't be the deciding factor. He know what he is going to do and worked on it for weeks. He also has familiar WR's and knows their faults and limits too. I'd be interested to see what the Lions think after their private workout.

If we take Curry @ #1 and get Stafford @20, I'm a happy man. That would be a dream scenario and very unlikely to happen.

Doubt that could happen. But Curry at 1 and Sanchez at 20 might be possible.

March 19th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Cincy looks like they are really targeting a LT with their first pick and even had their OL coach runninf the position drills at Monroe's pro day. At #6 they are likely to miss out on both Monroe and Jason Smith. If Jones checks out physically I'd take him the #6 and a 2nd rounder this year in exchange for the #1. At #6 they might miss out on Curry but they'd get better value for Raji or Stafford if either one is still available, plus get a 2nd rounder to boot. Heck if Jones isn't physically healthy I'd still take #6 their 2nd rounder this year or next year's 1st rounder.

Then again if Monroe lives up to the hype he might be too good to pass on even with the depth at LT this season. In the long run a premier LT is more than likely going to have more impact than a LB over the length of their careers.

March 19th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I agree with the statement about the long term value of a OT. Will the Lion's take one? Probably not.

The part that bothered me about the article above is that he takes too many chances because of his arm strength and athleticism. The way I read that is that he'll throw a lot of interceptions. I know that's the gunslinger mentality but it just makes me nervous.

March 20th, 2009, 9:28 am
RIP Killer

I was looking forward to Staffords workout, finally got to see a bit. Yes it was scripted BUT I liked the fact that it was outdoors and windy - showed off his arm. His footwork looked pretty good to me.

No doubt about the arm right now. Also, from what I read people seem to like him as a person, he interviews well, and says he wants to be a Lion.

Everyone knows my feelings on drafting a QB, I'd like to see Cutler in a Lions uniform more but we really need to take a risk on a QB soon.

March 20th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
blueblood1 wrote:

... at the 20th pick.

Doubt that could happen. But Curry at 1 and Sanchez at 20 might be possible.

No it won't be possible. Stafford, Sanchez AND Josh Freeman are likely gone by pick #20. Seattle, Tampa Bay, Chicago, San Francisco, New York Jets, Jacksonville......all could consider a QB in the first round.

If Stafford is passed on by the Lions, he won't get past Jax and could very well be taken by Seattle. The 49ers may go with Sanchez if Jacksonville can get the OT they want. With all four OTs off the board by Washington at 13, then look for the three picks prior to the Lions #20 take any QB remaining.

Let's say Stafford slips to #8 and Jax takes him. Sanchez and Freeman slide all the way past the first 16 picks......Someone among NY Jets, Chicago and Tampa Bay are going to take those guys. I would imagine that Tampa Bay would try to trade up to get Sanchez. And if they do, the Jets will definitely take Freeman.

If the Lions pass on Stafford (which I still hope they do), then don't look for them to draft a QB until round six, if they do at all. John Parker Wilson from Alabama was said to have had an impressive pro day showing, and may get consideration. Pat White is likely gone by round six, as would Nate Davis and Rhett Bohmar.

March 20th, 2009, 2:46 pm
Modmin Dude

I was looking forward to Staffords workout, finally got to see a bit. Yes it was scripted BUT I liked the fact that it was outdoors and windy - showed off his arm. His footwork looked pretty good to me.

No doubt about the arm right now. Also, from what I read people seem to like him as a person, he interviews well, and says he wants to be a Lion.

Everyone knows my feelings on drafting a QB, I'd like to see Cutler in a Lions uniform more but we really need to take a risk on a QB soon.

With all due respect, what else is he going to say? Especially considering we have the #1 overall pick...he wants the $$$ that comes along with being #1

March 20th, 2009, 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next