View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 1:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Pro Day Results 
Author Message
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I was looking forward to Staffords workout, finally got to see a bit. Yes it was scripted BUT I liked the fact that it was outdoors and windy - showed off his arm. His footwork looked pretty good to me.

No doubt about the arm right now. Also, from what I read people seem to like him as a person, he interviews well, and says he wants to be a Lion.

Everyone knows my feelings on drafting a QB, I'd like to see Cutler in a Lions uniform more but we really need to take a risk on a QB soon.


With all due respect, what else is he going to say? Especially considering we have the #1 overall pick...he wants the $$$ that comes along with being #1


Not all QB's are equal... Eli Manning being the last example of someone that didn't want to be on the team with the first pick.


March 20th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12208
Post 
faulkn22 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I was looking forward to Staffords workout, finally got to see a bit. Yes it was scripted BUT I liked the fact that it was outdoors and windy - showed off his arm. His footwork looked pretty good to me.

No doubt about the arm right now. Also, from what I read people seem to like him as a person, he interviews well, and says he wants to be a Lion.

Everyone knows my feelings on drafting a QB, I'd like to see Cutler in a Lions uniform more but we really need to take a risk on a QB soon.


With all due respect, what else is he going to say? Especially considering we have the #1 overall pick...he wants the $$$ that comes along with being #1


Not all QB's are equal... Eli Manning being the last example of someone that didn't want to be on the team with the first pick.


Who was the last one before him? Elway???
And who's to say he would've said anything if his dad didn't speak up??

I'm just trying to say that most of these players are told what to say and when to say it by their 'team' (agent, etc) Personally, I take everything any one of these guys have to say with a grain of salt.


March 20th, 2009, 2:57 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9954
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
TheRealWags wrote:
faulkn22 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I was looking forward to Staffords workout, finally got to see a bit. Yes it was scripted BUT I liked the fact that it was outdoors and windy - showed off his arm. His footwork looked pretty good to me.

No doubt about the arm right now. Also, from what I read people seem to like him as a person, he interviews well, and says he wants to be a Lion.

Everyone knows my feelings on drafting a QB, I'd like to see Cutler in a Lions uniform more but we really need to take a risk on a QB soon.


With all due respect, what else is he going to say? Especially considering we have the #1 overall pick...he wants the $$$ that comes along with being #1


Not all QB's are equal... Eli Manning being the last example of someone that didn't want to be on the team with the first pick.


Who was the last one before him? Elway???
And who's to say he would've said anything if his dad didn't speak up??

I'm just trying to say that most of these players are told what to say and when to say it by their 'team' (agent, etc) Personally, I take everything any one of these guys have to say with a grain of salt.


Very True. Stafford also said his potential team wouldn't have to worry about a hold out, because he would make the decisions, not his agent, he wants to be in camp as quickly as possible, blah, blah, blah.....

Haven't we all heard THAT before?!


March 20th, 2009, 3:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7493
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
faulkn22 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
The more I hear about him and see what he's done, I'm warming up to the idea of Stafford as a Lion. Sure, you can say he's not a sure thing, but the reality is that there's no such thing when it comes to QBs. For every Peyton Manning, there are 5 Ryan Leafs. I don't know for sure if he's going to be good or bad, and neither does anyone else. At this point, I don't think I'd be too angry with Stafford, Curry, or an OT. All are needed, and I think all could be good picks.


Agreed! Whoever they pick at #1 (or anywhere else for that matter) I want them to succeed and help the Lions climb out of the NFL's basement.

Go Lions!
headbang.gif


+1 my friends. With the shear number of early picks we have, I can envision multiple ways of making out team a lot better than it is right now, whether it's going QB OT def, or linemen first, or all defense, etc. I'll support whoever we chose wholeheartedly, because I feel like we have a smarter staff than we've had in the past.


Me 2 :!:

Yep. That's right. The original all defense this year guy. I am now fully supportive of drafting Stafford #1 overall. I just can't shake the feeling that Detroit will regret it for the next 50 years if we pass on this guy.

I also heard something on "Moving the Chains" ( Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan's Serius NFL Radio show) today.

A caller, that claimed to watch Stafford in High school, mentioned a couple of very interesting facts about Stafford that not many people are aware of.

1. His Class A High School team won their state championship (I think the score the guy said was) 63-0.
Stafford and one of his WR's were the only players from that team to go on to play at a division 1 college :!:

2. The caller also said that Georgia, over the last 4 years, have had only 8 players drafted in the first 2 rounds.
NONE of those players were WR's or OL. - So Stafford hasn't benefited from some incredible O-line.

3. I have heard 2 interviews of Stafford now. Both times I came away impressed with how well spoken, and apparently, intelligent that he is. Add to that now with the knowledge that he has performed well with, "less than a stellar", supporting cast and the fact the he declared a year early, EVEN THOUGH he knew that he would likely be drafted by the QB HELL Detroit Lions, and he didn't flinch. I just have become convinced that this guy is THE GUY that can get it done at QB for us.


March 20th, 2009, 8:47 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Honolulu_Blue wrote:
blueblood1 wrote:
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Gil Brandt reports that Stafford was straight money on his pro day, zinging darts with the vigor of Brett Favre out there.

Dang it all, unless somebody offers us a trade down scenario based on this, we are taking him. I don't like it, but I can see the writing on the wall.


I think the bigger determining factor will be the private workout the Lions have scheduled with him. Where they can make him do whatever they want. Like wags highlighted, this was scripted. He had months to run through the same pre-determined work out, it shouldn't really be a surprise that he looked good.

Anyway, I'm good with Stafford....


... at the 20th pick.


That's right HB, i agree. The scripted workout shouldn't be the deciding factor. He know what he is going to do and worked on it for weeks. He also has familiar WR's and knows their faults and limits too. I'd be interested to see what the Lions think after their private workout.

If we take Curry @ #1 and get Stafford @20, I'm a happy man. That would be a dream scenario and very unlikely to happen.



Doubt that could happen. But Curry at 1 and Sanchez at 20 might be possible.


No it won't be possible. Stafford, Sanchez AND Josh Freeman are likely gone by pick #20. Seattle, Tampa Bay, Chicago, San Francisco, New York Jets, Jacksonville......all could consider a QB in the first round.

If Stafford is passed on by the Lions, he won't get past Jax and could very well be taken by Seattle. The 49ers may go with Sanchez if Jacksonville can get the OT they want. With all four OTs off the board by Washington at 13, then look for the three picks prior to the Lions #20 take any QB remaining.

Let's say Stafford slips to #8 and Jax takes him. Sanchez and Freeman slide all the way past the first 16 picks......Someone among NY Jets, Chicago and Tampa Bay are going to take those guys. I would imagine that Tampa Bay would try to trade up to get Sanchez. And if they do, the Jets will definitely take Freeman.

If the Lions pass on Stafford (which I still hope they do), then don't look for them to draft a QB until round six, if they do at all. John Parker Wilson from Alabama was said to have had an impressive pro day showing, and may get consideration. Pat White is likely gone by round six, as would Nate Davis and Rhett Bohmar.


Jacksonville needs o-line help and Lb. Bears need o-line with Tait retirement and WR and DB. San Fran, maybe but they need o-line as well and WR. But I could see the Jets or Tampa. I just think that if the Lions pass on Stafford the QB's slide a ways. And if they don't thats all good for us because other impact players may slide to 20.


March 20th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post 
The question boils down to that #1 pick. I think if we take a QB at #1 then a lot of value that we need will be gone at #20. Not to say that there won't be talent, but it could force us into taking BPA @ 20 and I'd rather see us get value for a position of need. Of course we need just about everything so it may not matter. :shock:

However:

If we take a guy like Curry @ #1, then that changes draft strategies for some of the other teams IMO and could put us in a position to get another value pick at a position of need at #20.

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


March 20th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7493
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
The question boils down to that #1 pick. I think if we take a QB at #1 then a lot of value that we need will be gone at #20. Not to say that there won't be talent, but it could force us into taking BPA @ 20 and I'd rather see us get value for a position of need. Of course we need just about everything so it may not matter. :shock:

However:

If we take a guy like Curry @ #1, then that changes draft strategies for some of the other teams IMO and could put us in a position to get another value pick at a position of need at #20.


I think that if we take Curry, it makes it less likely that our defensive options will be as large at #20 and #33.

The more Offensive players that are taken in the 1st round, the better for us.


March 20th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
I was going to say... I think that if we draft an OT at 1, it starts the early run on the OT's, and thus gives us a better chance at landing a defensive game changer at 20. I think this is one of the ways that a Maualuga or one of the top QB's slip.


March 21st, 2009, 12:47 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9954
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
liontrax wrote:
Jacksonville needs o-line help and Lb. Bears need o-line with Tait retirement and WR and DB. San Fran, maybe but they need o-line as well and WR. But I could see the Jets or Tampa. I just think that if the Lions pass on Stafford the QB's slide a ways. And if they don't thats all good for us because other impact players may slide to 20.


Unless a top OT (top two) falls to Jax, they strongly consider one of the top two QBs. There is no LB other than curry worth the 8th pick, and he'll be gone. Jax also needs WR, so Maclin could be a consideration with Crabtree likely off the board. If Stafford falls to 8, Jax takes him, I'd bet a large sum on that.

Bears do need OL help, but if the top four tackles are off the board, they may not reach for Britton or Beatty. Percy Harvin is a possibility. No safety or corner will be taken, as Vontae Davis and Malcolm Jenkins are likely gone by the 18th pick. They don't have complete confidence in Kyle Orton, and for good reason. He's not the "one".

In regards to San Fran, same thing goes for them that goes with Jax. They might be willing to take Smith or Oher at #10, but if Stafford or Sanchez or still on the board, they KNOW they have to get a QB out of this draft, because they basically have nothing right now. If Maclin is there, it's a consideration, but they won't go WR over a QB. The depth among wide receivers is much better than at QB in this draft.


What you have to realize is that after Stafford/Sanchez there is a dropoff to Freeman. Freeman will go quickly because the talent dropoff after him his HUGE. There likely won't be another QB taken until the late second/early third round.

With offensive tackle, you have the top four, the next two (Beatty/Britton) and then the water gets muddy from there. The best picks beyond them are interior lineman.

With this many teams wanting to get their eventual starter out of this draft there is no way that either Stafford or Sanchez falls to us at 20. Freeman might be there, but I don't think the Lions have shown interest in him to this point.


March 21st, 2009, 10:21 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7493
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Jacksonville needs o-line help and Lb. Bears need o-line with Tait retirement and WR and DB. San Fran, maybe but they need o-line as well and WR. But I could see the Jets or Tampa. I just think that if the Lions pass on Stafford the QB's slide a ways. And if they don't thats all good for us because other impact players may slide to 20.


Unless a top OT (top two) falls to Jax, they strongly consider one of the top two QBs. There is no LB other than curry worth the 8th pick, and he'll be gone. Jax also needs WR, so Maclin could be a consideration with Crabtree likely off the board. If Stafford falls to 8, Jax takes him, I'd bet a large sum on that.

Bears do need OL help, but if the top four tackles are off the board, they may not reach for Britton or Beatty. Percy Harvin is a possibility. No safety or corner will be taken, as Vontae Davis and Malcolm Jenkins are likely gone by the 18th pick. They don't have complete confidence in Kyle Orton, and for good reason. He's not the "one".

In regards to San Fran, same thing goes for them that goes with Jax. They might be willing to take Smith or Oher at #10, but if Stafford or Sanchez or still on the board, they KNOW they have to get a QB out of this draft, because they basically have nothing right now. If Maclin is there, it's a consideration, but they won't go WR over a QB. The depth among wide receivers is much better than at QB in this draft.


What you have to realize is that after Stafford/Sanchez there is a dropoff to Freeman. Freeman will go quickly because the talent dropoff after him his HUGE. There likely won't be another QB taken until the late second/early third round.

With offensive tackle, you have the top four, the next two (Beatty/Britton) and then the water gets muddy from there. The best picks beyond them are interior lineman.

With this many teams wanting to get their eventual starter out of this draft there is no way that either Stafford or Sanchez falls to us at 20. Freeman might be there, but I don't think the Lions have shown interest in him to this point.


I agree with your assessment. It's Stafford at #1 or else we don't take a QB this year.

Re-posted from earlier in this thread because I feel strongly about it:

Quote:
Yep. That's right. The original all defense this year guy. I am now fully supportive of drafting Stafford #1 overall. I just can't shake the feeling that Detroit will regret it for the next 50 years if we pass on this guy.

I also heard something on "Moving the Chains" ( Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan's Serius NFL Radio show) today.

A caller, that claimed to watch Stafford in High school, mentioned a couple of very interesting facts about Stafford that not many people are aware of.

1. His Class A High School team won their state championship (I think the score the guy said was) 63-0.
Stafford and one of his WR's were the only players from that team to go on to play at a division 1 college :!:

2. The caller also said that Georgia, over the last 4 years, have had only 8 players drafted in the first 2 rounds.
NONE of those players were WR's or OL. - So Stafford hasn't benefited from some incredible O-line.

3. I have heard 2 interviews of Stafford now. Both times I came away impressed with how well spoken, and apparently, intelligent that he is. Add to that now with the knowledge that he has performed well with, "less than a stellar", supporting cast and the fact the he declared a year early, EVEN THOUGH he knew that he would likely be drafted by the QB HELL Detroit Lions, and he didn't flinch. I just have become convinced that this guy is THE GUY that can get it done at QB for us.


March 21st, 2009, 12:48 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3249
Location: Maryland
Post 
Quote:
MACLIN RUNS A 4.43 AT MIZZOU PRO DAY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 21, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

University of Missouri wide receiver and first-round draft prospect Jeremy Maclin displayed that he’s fully recovered from the knee injury he suffered at the NFL scouting combine, running a 4.43 and a 4.47 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, Maclin had a 35-inch vertical leap in front of Cincinnati Bengals wide receivers coach Mike Sheppard and New York Jets wide receivers coach Henry Ellard as 22 teams watched the campus workout.

A former St. Louis Rams receivers coach, Ellard has compared Maclin to a young Torry Holt.

“It’s an honor to have a receiver coach compare you to one of the greatest receivers of all time,” Maclin told Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Torry’s definitely somebody that I idolized.”

Per Brandt, Maclin reportedly demonstrated “great explosion” in his routes and caught the football well. He also showed that his knee is sound.

“I feel great now,” Maclin said.

Meanwhile, tight end Chase Coffman had a CAT scan of his foot injury that is now at 80 percent. He didn’t do workout drills, but caught passes from quarterback Chase Daniel.

Daniel ran a 4.79 in the 40-yard dash.


March 21st, 2009, 1:11 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3249
Location: Maryland
Post 
Quote:
31 TEAMS PASS ON NATE DAVIS’ PRO DAY
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2009, 5:48 p.m.

During the 2008 season, a buzz had been building around Ball State quarterback Nate Davis.

Today? The only buzz Davis hears is the softly annoying screech of crickets.

Davis conducted his Pro Day workout on Friday. And only one team attended.

The Colts, which also were the team that had the shortest distance to travel.

“I was very disappointed, but you only need one team to fall in love with you,” Davis said, according to the Muncie (Ind.) Star Press.

But Davis supposedly performed well, at least according to the man who has been hired to help him perform well, or at least to say that he performed well even if he didn’t: Former NFL quarterback Steve DeBerg.

“He threw the ball like he always does — outstanding,” DeBerg said. “He made all the throws — short, deep, intermediate. I was very happy, and impressed as always. It’s fun to work with a quarterback who has as much talent as Nate does.”

The decline started for Davis when he posted disappointing times in the 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine. At this point, there’s a chance he won’t even be drafted.


March 21st, 2009, 6:42 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post 
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
31 TEAMS PASS ON NATE DAVIS’ PRO DAY
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2009, 5:48 p.m.

During the 2008 season, a buzz had been building around Ball State quarterback Nate Davis.

Today? The only buzz Davis hears is the softly annoying screech of crickets.

Davis conducted his Pro Day workout on Friday. And only one team attended.

The Colts, which also were the team that had the shortest distance to travel.

“I was very disappointed, but you only need one team to fall in love with you,” Davis said, according to the Muncie (Ind.) Star Press.

But Davis supposedly performed well, at least according to the man who has been hired to help him perform well, or at least to say that he performed well even if he didn’t: Former NFL quarterback Steve DeBerg.

“He threw the ball like he always does — outstanding,” DeBerg said. “He made all the throws — short, deep, intermediate. I was very happy, and impressed as always. It’s fun to work with a quarterback who has as much talent as Nate does.”

The decline started for Davis when he posted disappointing times in the 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine. At this point, there’s a chance he won’t even be drafted.


That has to be deflating. I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


March 21st, 2009, 9:55 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Jacksonville needs o-line help and Lb. Bears need o-line with Tait retirement and WR and DB. San Fran, maybe but they need o-line as well and WR. But I could see the Jets or Tampa. I just think that if the Lions pass on Stafford the QB's slide a ways. And if they don't thats all good for us because other impact players may slide to 20.


Unless a top OT (top two) falls to Jax, they strongly consider one of the top two QBs. There is no LB other than curry worth the 8th pick, and he'll be gone. Jax also needs WR, so Maclin could be a consideration with Crabtree likely off the board. If Stafford falls to 8, Jax takes him, I'd bet a large sum on that.

Bears do need OL help, but if the top four tackles are off the board, they may not reach for Britton or Beatty. Percy Harvin is a possibility. No safety or corner will be taken, as Vontae Davis and Malcolm Jenkins are likely gone by the 18th pick. They don't have complete confidence in Kyle Orton, and for good reason. He's not the "one".

In regards to San Fran, same thing goes for them that goes with Jax. They might be willing to take Smith or Oher at #10, but if Stafford or Sanchez or still on the board, they KNOW they have to get a QB out of this draft, because they basically have nothing right now. If Maclin is there, it's a consideration, but they won't go WR over a QB. The depth among wide receivers is much better than at QB in this draft.


What you have to realize is that after Stafford/Sanchez there is a dropoff to Freeman. Freeman will go quickly because the talent dropoff after him his HUGE. There likely won't be another QB taken until the late second/early third round.

With offensive tackle, you have the top four, the next two (Beatty/Britton) and then the water gets muddy from there. The best picks beyond them are interior lineman.

With this many teams wanting to get their eventual starter out of this draft there is no way that either Stafford or Sanchez falls to us at 20. Freeman might be there, but I don't think the Lions have shown interest in him to this point.


I disagree on Jax. They have a new GM making running there draft. I don't see him taking a high priced QB in the 1st especially after signing there starter to a new contract last year. And I would be surprised if San Fran took a QB in Singletary's first full year. The Jets, maybe. The Bears, maybe. All three of these QB's are juniors and based on draft history that is a shaky investment and may scare off a multitude of suitors. But you never know. If the Lions take one he will sit the bench this year and possibly next. Which is what he will need and is what the Lions have the luxury of affording him, because they are several years away from contention. So a QB this year probably makes sense. More so for the Lions than a contending team. It's not that I am totally against taking Stafford at 1, it is just that I think it more important to build the foundation of this team, OL, DL, MLB and secondary.


March 21st, 2009, 10:25 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post 
I would be happy if they took Stafford at #1 because as I see it now there is no way he or Sanchez slip to #20.

The teams picking before the Lions that could conceivably take a QB are Jax, SF, NYJ, CHI, TB. (Throw in Denver if they end up moving Cutler, but it would most likely replace one of these teams.) That's 5 teams that are vying for 3 guys. The math just doesn't add up, that being said...

Jacksonville could pass on QB since Garrard is serviceable. They will need some OL and WR help and that is more pressing then QB.

San Fran needs help at QB too, but they just brought back Alex Smith, which I find strange.

The Jets are definitely going to grab one of the three IMO.

Chicago has Orton (BFD) but could pass because OL is a problem.

TB apparently isn't impressed with Josh Johnson and would Josh Freeman be too much of a clone?

I wouldn't want to take a chance because after these 3 guys who's left? I don't want Freeman because he's at least 2-3 years of pine riding away from becoming a starter. Stafford or Sanchez might be ready after 1, and who knows how long Daunte's knees are going to last?

_________________
Forward down the field!


March 23rd, 2009, 11:56 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.