View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Pro Day Results 
RIP Killer

I disagree on Jax. They have a new GM making running there draft. I don't see him taking a high priced QB in the 1st especially after signing there starter to a new contract last year. And I would be surprised if San Fran took a QB in Singletary's first full year. The Jets, maybe. The Bears, maybe. All three of these QB's are juniors and based on draft history that is a shaky investment and may scare off a multitude of suitors. But you never know. If the Lions take one he will sit the bench this year and possibly next. Which is what he will need and is what the Lions have the luxury of affording him, because they are several years away from contention. So a QB this year probably makes sense. More so for the Lions than a contending team. It's not that I am totally against taking Stafford at 1, it is just that I think it more important to build the foundation of this team, OL, DL, MLB and secondary.

It's all guessing, but you have to realize that as a GM you have to show you are setting up the team for the future. Does anyone, including said GM, think that Garrard is their future at QB? I don't think so. Despite signing Garrard last season, Jacksonville would have to strongly consider Stafford if he fell. I'm not saying that they would definitely take him, but if the top two tackles are gone (which would be the case) then they would be torn between a top receiver, the top QB prospect in this draft, and a second tier offensive tackle (Oher or Smith). Given their potential, Oher and Smith could be their targets.....and quite frankly, I think the more likely scenario would have a team like the Bucs or Jets trying to trade up to get Stafford. But you can't deny that Jacksonville is among those teams interested in upgrading at QB for their future.

San Francisco, same thing. They have exactly the same needs as Jax...QB, WR, OT....on offense. But they have far less in their QB stable than Jax. Alex Smith, Damon Huard and Shaun Hill? None of those are QBs I would even come close to considering long term prospects. They could think about Oher or Smith, but they probably aren't ready to give up on Joe Staley just yet. If somehow Crabtree falls to them (which he likely won't), they would take him. But if Stafford falls, they snap him up, I think. Sanchez? Tough call. He's all over the place as far as the analysts go. Some think he's better than Stafford, some think Freeman is a better NFL prospect. Who knows?

My concern with your last remarks is that you seem assured that if the Lions take Stafford, he will be planted on the bench without any chance of playing. Really? You honestly think that way? If Dan O were still here, I'd say you are exactly right. But we have no veteran backup. If Daunte gets hurt, who do you think the Lions play? Stanton? Up and until the Lions get a veteran backup QB, I have NO faith that this team will keep their anointed "Golden Boy" from getting a baptism by fire behind a shaky Detroit offensive line.

March 23rd, 2009, 1:26 pm
QB Coach

• While some reports claim Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford's pro-day workout established him as potentially the first pick of the draft, it is not an opinion shared by all. Sources have told SI.com that Stafford was trying to show off his arm strength on Thursday and in doing so was inaccurate on a number of deep outs, the money throw for quarterbacks in these types of workouts. And while he was generally accurate throughout the session, receivers were required to leave their feet several occasions to grab a few errant passes from the air. They were not huge issues, rather dissenting points from those who feel Stafford needed to do more before being anointed as the draft's top selection.

March 23rd, 2009, 6:21 pm
Heisman Winner

Quote:
• While some reports claim Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford's pro-day workout established him as potentially the first pick of the draft, it is not an opinion shared by all. Sources have told SI.com that Stafford was trying to show off his arm strength on Thursday and in doing so was inaccurate on a number of deep outs, the money throw for quarterbacks in these types of workouts. And while he was generally accurate throughout the session, receivers were required to leave their feet several occasions to grab a few errant passes from the air. They were not huge issues, rather dissenting points from those who feel Stafford needed to do more before being anointed as the draft's top selection.

And on other throws, the receivers were required to use their fingers to clasp the ball as it arrived, instead of the ball seating itself into their arms as is expected by the draft analysts this time of year....

March 23rd, 2009, 11:03 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:

And on other throws, the receivers were required to use their fingers to clasp the ball as it arrived, instead of the ball seating itself into their arms as is expected by the draft analysts this time of year....

I believe what he was trying to get at is that initial reports were VERY misleading. When someone comes out of a pro day and states "He completed 47 of 50 passes" it makes sounds as if Stafford's accuracy was incredible. Knowing that his accuracy is one of the biggest knocks against him, that statement is a ploy to sweep that notion under the rug. But when others come out and say "yes, but the passes were only completed because the receivers made an extraordinary effort to catch the ball" then we have to question just how accurate his throws really were.

In college you can afford to be less accurate with your passes. In the NFL, you often have to thread a needle because the coverage is so damn good. I would be interested in knowing, when the passing drills were done was anybody rushing Stafford? Or at least, did anyone put a stop watch on him? Was he simply sitting back in the pocket, or was he asked to make throws on the run? Were the receivers being covered at all, or just running in the open? Were the routes pre-determined, or did Stafford have to make the reads like he would in the NFL before throwing the ball?

When the Lions do their private workout with Stafford on March 31, I hope they test his accuracy on the run, under pressure and with a bunch of 6'4" 320 lb lineman around him. Have the receivers be covered and see if he can throw the ball away from the defender but still within reach of the receiver.

If you are contemplating using the number one pick on this guy, then TEST him. Don't just have him perform some sort of half-assed backyard workout. It sounds like that was what his pro day amounted to.

March 24th, 2009, 8:18 am
RIP Killer

M2K - I've never seen pressure on a QB in a Pro Day workout and there certainly wasn't any in Staffords workout. Again, it was fairly windy so I'm not surprised a few of the throws were off. This was your typical scripted pro day passing workout by a QB.

I like your ideas about pressuring him in the individual Lions workout.

March 24th, 2009, 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

Pressuring him at his private workout would be fantastic. I think without that we might have another Joey on our hands. Joey could make all the throws but remember when he got pressured he started moving his feet more than Gregory Hines.

When I heard the results of his Pro Day, 47/50, I was unimpressed. I remember when Vince Young his 48/50 in his pro day, and that has worked out great...

March 24th, 2009, 11:37 am
#1 Overall Pick

M2K - I've never seen pressure on a QB in a Pro Day workout and there certainly wasn't any in Staffords workout. Again, it was fairly windy so I'm not surprised a few of the throws were off. This was your typical scripted pro day passing workout by a QB.

I think the QB pro day is WORTHLESS.

There is nothing that can be gained from watching a guy throw in shorts that can't be seen on film. We already know he has a strong arm. Arm strength is about the only thing that can truly be "measured" at a pro day.

So I couldn't care what reports come out about his pro day.

Tim Couch and Alex Smith are also QBs that had impressive pro days en route to be selected #1 overall!!! :shock:

March 24th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Heisman Winner

Pablo wrote:

I think the QB pro day is WORTHLESS.

There is nothing that can be gained from watching a guy throw in shorts that can't be seen on film. We already know he has a strong arm. Arm strength is about the only thing that can truly be "measured" at a pro day.

So I couldn't care what reports come out about his pro day.

Tim Couch and Alex Smith are also QBs that had impressive pro days en route to be selected #1 overall!!! :shock:

Absolutely true. And to be fair, Peyton Manning had question marks as well. There's no such thing as a sure fire QB prospect. The things people describe as missing from Stafford were all present with Matt Leinart. Its always a bit of a gamble, but if it pans out you are set for years.

March 24th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

NFL blog entry about Iowa's pro day: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/24/iowa-pro-day-a-popular-event-for-scouts/

Naturally, as a homer, I'd love for us to draft anybody from Iowa. :lol: But there are a few guys, like Bradley Fletcher at CB or Seth Olsen at G, who could help our team.

March 25th, 2009, 3:06 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Is a pro day good for anything other than if a player missed the pro day? The more telling test will be on the 31st when the Lions dictate the workout...

March 25th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Heisman Winner

NFL network's Mike Mayock reports that Mark Sanchez's pro day has been the best one of all three potential 1st round QB's.

Thoughts???

April 1st, 2009, 7:17 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I like Sanchez. Strength of SEC vs Pac10 will be debated, but playing in the spotlight in a major market has its advantages. And Showing up in big games doesn't go unnoticed.

He may have started only 16 games over 2 seasons, but he matured quickly. He sat behind Leinart, shared time with John David Booty when he was injured in the 07 season. Think Cassel but was good enough to get on the field.

Not the arm strength of Stafford or Freeman, but definitely strong enough to make every throw.

I wouldn't take him #1 (wouldn't take stafford #1 either) but could be a possibility if we trade up or are able to trade down from 1. Won't be there at 20.

April 1st, 2009, 7:40 pm
Heisman Winner

I like Sanchez. Strength of SEC vs Pac10 will be debated, but playing in the spotlight in a major market has its advantages. And Showing up in big games doesn't go unnoticed.

He may have started only 16 games over 2 seasons, but he matured quickly. He sat behind Leinart, shared time with John David Booty when he was injured in the 07 season. Think Cassel but was good enough to get on the field.

Not the arm strength of Stafford or Freeman, but definitely strong enough to make every throw.

I wouldn't take him #1 (wouldn't take stafford #1 either) but could be a possibility if we trade up or are able to trade down from 1. Won't be there at 20.

He won't stay past 12, Denver's gonna want another Matt Cassell if they can't have Jay Cutler. I'd say a three way trade involving some other team, Cutler and our #1 would be our best option right now as far as picking up a QB goes.

April 1st, 2009, 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6