View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lions going to pick Jason Smith No 1 - KFFL 
Heisman Winner

Post Lions going to pick Jason Smith No 1 - KFFL
Well, according to this article, Smith is our No 1 overall.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... smith-no-1

March 23rd, 2009, 8:35 am
National Champion

I'd like to hear it from a more reliable site before I believe it. I don't believe they've actually chosen anyone yet; unless they've already pushed contracts at their top choices and all of their agents agreed or found common ground. Still a little early, to me.

March 23rd, 2009, 9:45 am
RIP Killer

Lions begin negotiations…The Detroit Lions are starting the negotiation process with their first overall draft selection but aren’t saying who the future millionaire is just yet. However, it seems like this happens every year. Teams don’t negotiate with just one prospect. Everyone remembers the infamous curveball the Texans threw draft fans a few years ago when it was announced that the team had come to terms with Mario Williams after everyone had penciled Reggie Bush in months before. The Lions might have their guy in mind but expect them to negotiate with multiple prospects before draft day.

According to this the Lions have started negotiations....but with whom? Interesting that this should happen just after Stafford's pro day, but before his private workout. Does this mean the Lions were impressed at his pro day, or that they weren't?

If they are negotiating with only one player, then Mayhew and Lewand are just as stupid as Millen. The list should be four....Smith, Monroe, Stafford and Curry. They should even add Orakpo and Raji just for good measure. Negotiations cost nothing.

March 23rd, 2009, 10:18 am
National Champion

but they like to take Killers speculation and pass it off as fact.

and i think this is the source of the rumor...

as killer's best guess is smith,

its just smoke, getting blown up holes... :wink:

March 23rd, 2009, 11:57 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Where would they get there info from??? I'm calling this B-friggin-S. It wouldn't be a bad pick, but it would be more than just one site saying it. I think i'll release a statement that say's they're taking Mark Sanchez and REALLY cause a stir... come on now!

March 23rd, 2009, 12:05 pm
RIP Killer

PFT said the same thing,

but they like to take Killers speculation and pass it off as fact.

and i think this is the source of the rumor...

as killer's best guess is smith,

its just smoke, getting blown up holes... :wink:

And guess what.....KFFL reports what Tom "Killer" Kowalski reports. Wanna see the source of the speculation? Check on NFL.com .... the "story" is on there. Kowalski didn't say that the Lions are definitely in talks with Smith, he said he believes they are in talks with Smith. Supposedly someone within the organization had let on that the Lions were in negotiations with a player, and Lewand confirmed that they started contract talks. However, there was no mention of any particular player, or even how many players. Killer supports his Jason Smith assumption because of the fact that Schwartz, Lewand and Mayhew have said several times that they want to build the team from the inside out.
Schwartz also said he wants the "next Bobby Layne"....

Leave it to Killer to try and pawn off his assumptions as headline news...

March 23rd, 2009, 1:57 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Still a garbage story. I also think the notion that a team is just talking to someone to dupe another team into trading up is sort of a joke. Are these teams that dumb? Its painfully obvious that the Lions need help all over the place and if conventional wisdom is to take Stafford a team that needs to turn it around is going to do just that. This is just a poor attempt at deception.

March 23rd, 2009, 3:57 pm
Team MVP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/n ... id=4012959

ESPN article on Jason Smith.

March 25th, 2009, 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]