View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who is the better LT prospect? 

Poll ended at April 25th, 2009, 11:21 am
Eugene Monroe 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Jason Smith 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 26

RIP Killer

Post Who is the better LT prospect?
Let's assume the Lions decide to take a LT, which one would you rather take with the first pick?

March 26th, 2009, 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I had to go with Monroe.. but I chose him purely on gut feeling.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 26th, 2009, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

The vote would depend on two things; the potential of the player and what the likelihood is of that player reaching that potential for the Lions.

Jason Smith has more athleticism and that killer instinct.

Eugene Monroe has the more refined technical skills.

Smith has greater upside, but is still raw.

Monroe may have reached his peak already, with little room for improvement.

Long term I think Smith is the better prospect. Monroe is the one who can start from day one much easier, particularly for a running team.

Funny, but out of the four top tackles I think Michael Oher is the one with the best overall technical skills. His lack of drive and determination, which is the reason for him being labeled "inconsistent" is a shame.

March 26th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

March 26th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I said Smith. He's stronger and nastier.

If I absolutely had to choose one it would be Smith as well. But I would prefer to wait and take a LT later to develop. Niether one these guys is rated as high as Long was last year.

March 26th, 2009, 2:03 pm
Div 1 - Starter

mwill2 wrote:
I said Smith. He's stronger and nastier.

If I absolutely had to choose one it would be Smith as well. But I would prefer to wait and take a LT later to develop. Neither one these guys is rated as high as Long was last year.

I have to agree with this approach; I chose Smith, too, but I think the first two picks should be on D. We have to get starters on D. Our offense was serviceable last season.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

March 26th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I went with Monroe because I think he has a much lower bust factor than Smith. Smith played at Baylor in a spread and is a converted TE. Just something about him doesn't feel right.

March 26th, 2009, 4:46 pm
NFL Veteran

Eugene Monroe is more, 'what you see is what you get.' But what you're getting is a great left tackle who will solidify your line for his entire career.

Jason Smith has the potential to be all-world. But while he's not what you really consider raw - he's certainly good enough to start from day one - he's not a finished product either. In fact, it's more like he's scratching the surface. You look at his ascent to being this good this fast, combined with pretty outstanding measurables and movement, and also the work ethic that the guy has, and it's hard not to project that he will reach his pinnacle.

Schwartz noted that he was paying attention to after he ran the 40. When he went back to the group. He wasn't like the lumbering linemen. He was bouncing around and moving more like a defensive back or linebacker.

In espn.com Matt Mosley's article, he spoke of how Smith as a kid grew up. Being poor, he started a lawn mowing business. And he was more interested in going to hardware stores to look at lawn equipment than to spend his time looking for video games to play like the other kids. He'd even look at other businesses to see what kind of equipment they used. And asked for leaf blowers for Christmas presents. As a teen, he was breaking horses in, and worked hard performing chores on a ranch so he could rope steers. When they changed the coaching staff, and coach Briles got in Jason's head that he could be a top tackle, he stuck around and followed his lead. He even started studying Eugene Monroe's film, which is amazing because after one year, he is on the verge of surpassing the guy he looked up to.

The guy has work ethic built in since he was a just a kid. On top of that he's smart and intelligent. When there was virtually zero information on the guy a few months ago, what I was able to pick up from whatever was out there, was the guy was intelligent.

All that said, he's not there yet. So until he gets there, there's always a possibility for things to go unexpectedly. But he certainly has all the factors in place to be a legendary left tackle.

March 26th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If we were 1 OL away from being in the Playoffs (and contending deep) , i would say Monroe since he is more ready to go now.

But since we are BUILDING a team that will take a few years to even reach the playoffs, I say you go for the guy who has the Upside. I think even right away he will be an improvement over Backus just due to his athletic ability.. and with his Upside it just makes more sense.

March 26th, 2009, 10:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Monroe is a sure bet. And although I am a bit of a gambler myself and like smith, the Lions shouldn't be gambling.

For the Lions, Monroe should be the pick over Smith.

March 28th, 2009, 4:37 pm
RIP Killer

Monroe is a sure bet. And although I am a bit of a gambler myself and like smith, the Lions shouldn't be gambling.

I don't see Smith as a gamble. I see him more as a diamond in the rough. What is there is good, but it needs some additional work and polish to make it shine.

I think Smith will eventually the better of the two. The question is not physical, but his mental make up. Can Jason Smith deal with the difficulties of working himself into an elite tackle, and do the Lions have the right coaches and patience to make it happen? Will the fans be patient to let it happen?

Funny how fans are perfectly accepting on having a QB be taken first overall and sit one or even two years collecting a check and doing nothing. But anyone else has to play NOW and be nothing less than perfect.

In the end, my belief is that Jason Smith will be a better LT in the NFL than Matt Stafford will be a QB in the NFL.

But, I've been wrong before......

March 28th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Walk On

I voted Monroe just because like others have stated he seems more polished and ready to jump into the starting lineup from day one.

I'm still more concerned about getting some solid guards in this draft. We need to make a powerhouse O-Line something fierce!!!!! drunken_smilie.gif

March 28th, 2009, 11:37 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

RussMan wrote:

I don't see Smith as a gamble. I see him more as a diamond in the rough. What is there is good, but it needs some additional work and polish to make it shine.

I think Smith will eventually the better of the two. The question is not physical, but his mental make up. Can Jason Smith deal with the difficulties of working himself into an elite tackle, and do the Lions have the right coaches and patience to make it happen? Will the fans be patient to let it happen?

Funny how fans are perfectly accepting on having a QB be taken first overall and sit one or even two years collecting a check and doing nothing. But anyone else has to play NOW and be nothing less than perfect.

In the end, my belief is that Jason Smith will be a better LT in the NFL than Matt Stafford will be a QB in the NFL.

But, I've been wrong before......

Its not just the fans, even GM's have said, picks 1-15 should help your team from day 1, if they can't they shouldn't be your pick. An Early pick that has to sit, diminishes that draft value. And with diminished value...it points to LT over QB and Curry over LT, especially Smith if they feel he can't start from the first day.

March 29th, 2009, 10:52 am
QB Coach

Its not just the fans, even GM's have said, picks 1-15 should help your team from day 1, if they can't they shouldn't be your pick. An Early pick that has to sit, diminishes that draft value. And with diminished value...it points to LT over QB and Curry over LT, especially Smith if they feel he can't start from the first day.

I disagree with this completely. If the pick is Stafford, he sits for a year and then turns out to be a QB like Brady or Manning or even Carson Palmer, I don't see how anyone could say the pick's value was diminished. regardless of who the pick is and whether he sits for a year or not, of he becomes a cornerstone of the team for years to come, the pick was worth it. That's the bottom line to me.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

March 29th, 2009, 5:50 pm
Pop Warner Vet

If we were 1 OL away from being in the Playoffs (and contending deep) , i would say Monroe since he is more ready to go now.

But since we are BUILDING a team that will take a few years to even reach the playoffs, I say you go for the guy who has the Upside. I think even right away he will be an improvement over Backus just due to his athletic ability.. and with his Upside it just makes more sense.

Plus, we still have Backus under contract. If we can't cut our starting LT this year because of the cap hit, it makes it less necessary to get an immediate fix at LT.

If Detroit doesn't go LT at #1, St. Louis should choose Monroe over Smith because Pace is gone and they need a Day 1 contributor, but Detroit oughta pick Smith over Monroe for the higher upside of the two.

Here's my question...if we pick Jason Smith, does he play LG for a year until we cut Backus? Or does Backus slide to Guard? How do you guys see that working out?

March 30th, 2009, 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next