View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Raji tests positive at the Combine 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Raji tests positive at the Combine
How does this affect his draft status?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/02/raji/index.html

From Tony Phillips, special to SI.com:

Quote:
Defensive tackle B.J. Raji, whose draft stock has soared over the past six months, had a positive drug test at February's combine, NFL team sources have told SI.com. It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

NFL teams will receive the official list of those who tested positive in Indianapolis later this month, and Raji's name will be on it, according to a source who attended last week's owners meetings in California.

Brian Murphy, Chief Operating Officer of Athletes First, which represents Raji, told SI.com: "We will not comment on rumors from unnamed sources. I do know that B.J. has been one of the hardest workers and nicest individuals that we at Athletes First represent. There is no doubt that he will be an invaluable addition to an NFL team both on the field as a player and in the community as a role model."

Raji declined comment when reached by SI.com.

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

How this affects Raji's draft grade remains to be seen. He missed the 2007 college season with academic issues, returned to Boston College and had a terrific senior campaign, recording eight sacks and 42 tackles, with 16 tackles for loss. He was a dominant force during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl and continued his momentum up draft boards after turning in good combine and pro-day workouts. His performances the past three months have some scouts believing he'll be taken in the top third of the first round of the April 25 draft.

One source familiar with the positive drug test assessed Raji's draft prospects by saying, "It's a roll of the dice. If Raji stays clean and plays to his potential, you could have a dominant defensive lineman on your team. Then again, it does nobody any good if the kid is on the sidelines serving a suspension for a failed test."

Prior to the 1995 draft, top-rated defensive tackle Warren Sapp saw his stock slip after reports surfaced of positive drug tests during his time at the University of Miami, which he denied. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers eventually selected Sapp with the No. 12 overall pick. Sapp went on to play 13 seasons in the NFL, earning seven trips to the Pro Bowl.

Unless this turns into a total circus, I'm guessing that Raji won't fall far. Not far enough for the Lions to grab him at #20, anyway.

April 2nd, 2009, 4:40 pm
NFL Veteran

If it's the MJ though, I don't think he falls far if at all. That or one of those weight loss supplements, then he's not going to fall very far if at all.

Steroids, HGH, or harder addictive substances, and he's going to sky dive.

Remember CJ admitted trying marijuana.

April 2nd, 2009, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The kicker is that he tested positive for marijuana while at Boston College. So if it's marijuana again that raises some serious questions about his character, maturity, and ability to make the right judgements. If it is marijuana I think that takes him completely off the FO's draft radar. They can't afford a Charles Rogers snafu or any kind of character issues along those lines.

April 2nd, 2009, 5:08 pm

CJ admitted trying MJ (i believe once) at some point in his Life (Can't rem if it was HS or College years).

Raji failed a drug test AT THE COMBINE. meaning recent use most likely.

Even if it is only MJ , your back to "What kind of decisions does this player make", the same type of questions people have about Andre Smith.

April 2nd, 2009, 5:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Honolulu_Blue wrote:

CJ admitted trying MJ (i believe once) at some point in his Life (Can't rem if it was HS or College years).

Raji failed a drug test AT THE COMBINE. meaning recent use most likely.

Even if it is only MJ , your back to "What kind of decisions does this player make", the same type of questions people have about Andre Smith.

I think this is why Raji COULD fall. He used this substance shortly before the Combine, when he knew he'd be tested. It's a serious red flag, regardless of the substance. Now Raji has to go into damage control mode. What happens as a result of the positive test will be largely up to Raji and his agent. How to handle this? How to spin it? If they can't control the story and put GMs at ease, Raji could fall quite far. If they do it right, Raji's still a first-rounder. This is where having a good agent can really pay off for a player.

April 2nd, 2009, 5:33 pm
RIP Killer

pot doesn't stay in your system THAT long, so he must have hit the beer can bong a week or so before the combine...if he tested positive for it, don't spend any money on the clown.

No more C-Rog BS

April 2nd, 2009, 5:34 pm
National Champion

He's a big guy. It can stay in your system a long time if you have fat for it to cling to.

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid, I'm just saying you can't possibly know that he smoked mj right before the combine.

April 2nd, 2009, 6:42 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

pot doesn't stay in your system THAT long, so he must have hit the beer can bong a week or so before the combine...if he tested positive for it, don't spend any money on the clown.

No more C-Rog BS

If your not an everyday pothead than yes THC will leave your system in at least 3 days of smoking. But THC is fat-soluble so a bigger guy like Raji has more fat cells so it could be stored for much longer.
I would love to see this drop him to our 20th pick but I don't see it happenin :cry:

April 2nd, 2009, 6:49 pm

I highly doubt it cost him enough spots to drop him to #20. It's the NFL and there are always going to be more teams that care about what happens on the field. If he last until Denver's first pick that's where the slide ends in my opinion.

April 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

conversion02 wrote:

No more C-Rog BS

If your not an everyday pothead than yes THC will leave your system in at least 3 days of smoking. But THC is fat-soluble so a bigger guy like Raji has more fat cells so it could be stored for much longer.
I would love to see this drop him to our 20th pick but I don't see it happenin :cry:

It depends on the test they do, Im a big guy (near 300) and pot (that i dont smoke :twisted: ) is gone within 2 weeks MAX, for a urine test.

I know a lot of drugs can be detected by Hair Samples however (not sure if pot is one of them) and Hair samples last for a long long time. Id imagine if it was hair a LOT more players would end up busted at the combine however, so I am going to assume its Urine which means it was at most 2-3 weeks ago... Meaning hes a DUMBASS, even if hes a talented dumbass.

April 2nd, 2009, 8:41 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

yvesill wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

No more C-Rog BS

It depends on the test they do, Im a big guy (near 300) and pot (that i dont smoke :twisted: ) is gone within 2 weeks MAX, for a urine test.

I know a lot of drugs can be detected by Hair Samples however (not sure if pot is one of them) and Hair samples last for a long long time. Id imagine if it was hair a LOT more players would end up busted at the combine however, so I am going to assume its Urine which means it was at most 2-3 weeks ago... Meaning hes a DUMBASS, even if hes a talented dumbass.

If your an avid pothead, which im sure RAJI isnt, THC can stay in your system for up to a month. If he only smoked once than it must have been within 5 days before the combine. In which case, yea he is a dumbass, but he's a dumbass id be willing to take a chance on if he fell to pick 20. As for the hair test, depending on how much hair they take, its possible marijuana can be detected up to 3 years after the last time you smoked.

April 2nd, 2009, 9:28 pm
RIP Killer

hair tests are very pricey and take quite a while to get the results back. That's why even government agencies don't test hair samples on their standard drug tests...same with the service academies.

April 2nd, 2009, 9:55 pm

Thank you for the extra info. It's obvious then that these are urine tests, which makes ruji a dumbass, but I as well would take a shot at him at 20. Would not trade up to get him however.

April 3rd, 2009, 5:01 am
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

I've had friends social smoke and test a month later and fail (because they listen to people like you guys that say, ohh it's gone in a few days, your good). I'm telling you, you guys simply cannot come to any sort of conclusion that he did it recently, because you do not know. Everyone's body is different. Everyone's metabolism is different. All you know (don't even KNOW its mj) is that he has done it a least one time since winter of '09. That could be a few days to well over a few months, he's a big, big, boy. Anything else is speculation.

The fact that the test is a urine test makes it more speculative. They aren't as accurate at detailing when someone used drugs (like mentioned above, the more expensive hair follicle test can go down to how many days it's been, not weeks or months).

Also like said above, I doubt he makes it past Denver (hey, he'll be happy playing at the old Mile High stadium, right?)

April 3rd, 2009, 6:18 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I've had friends social smoke and test a month later and fail (because they listen to people like you guys that say, ohh it's gone in a few days, your good). I'm telling you, you guys simply cannot come to any sort of conclusion that he did it recently, because you do not know. Everyone's body is different. Everyone's metabolism is different. All you know (don't even KNOW its mj) is that he has done it a least one time since winter of '09. That could be a few days to well over a few months, he's a big, big, boy. Anything else is speculation.

The fact that the test is a urine test makes it more speculative. They aren't as accurate at detailing when someone used drugs (like mentioned above, the more expensive hair follicle test can go down to how many days it's been, not weeks or months).

Also like said above, I doubt he makes it past Denver (hey, he'll be happy playing at the old Mile High stadium, right?)

Wa wa... Funny. He's got red flags, but if he just wants to kick back and smoke a beedie then that's his deal. Warren Sapp had the same type of problems when he was in the draft. It seemed to work out pretty well for him. I'm not saying Raji is going to be the next Sapp, but when the Bucs took a risk it paid off. If he drops to 20 (which he won't) take him. We got burned by CRog. But we also got burned by Joey "Strawberries and Chocolate" Harrington who I doubt has ever even smelled weed. Either way, immense talent, and at about 12+ he's not that big of a risk.

April 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next