View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Raji tests positive at the Combine 
#1 Overall Pick

Sirius Radio is saying Raji's agent has ADAMENTLY stated that this is a false report.... and his name will be cleared.

I think I heard them also say that the steroid test report involving Matthews and Cushing was not accurate either.

April 7th, 2009, 11:40 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

faulkn22 wrote:
It doesn't suprise me at all. I know medical doctors, lawyers, professors, lab technicians, and dentists that admit to smoking it, too.

A lot of people are pretty naive when it comes to marijuana; whether its the stigma they have about it, or how many people they think use it.

I think all the stigma with it is rediculous considering we allow alcohol and tobacco, but that's not what is important here. That's a completely different subject which is going to be debated in different state governments here in the near future.

That being said, when you are 100% pure that you are going to be tested and you still smoke it... That says that you don't care enough to not use for a few months, that you aren't smart enough to know better, that you aren't smart enough to use synthetics , or that you think you're the best thing on the planet and that it won't matter. Any of those things are not good things.

If he knew he was going to be tested.. yeah..

But as far as weed goes there is nothing wrong with it. I've never smoked it and I'm all for its legalization. Alcohol is far worse, and less profitable for drug cartels/gangs.

For me, the problem isn't about how bad the drug is. For a draft prospect, it is a matter of self-control. These guys are in the middle of a very high-stakes interview process, in which millions of dollars are at stake. In most cases, the player's entire career is on the line. A positive test for any kind of banned substance can be disastrous to the player's career. Knowing all of this, some of these players still don't have the self-control to stay clean for a few months. People who lack self-discipline and willpower don't typically turn into quality professionals in any field, football included. A positive test at the Combine or a pro day, to me, is a major red flag.

April 7th, 2009, 12:57 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Sirius Radio is saying Raji's agent has ADAMENTLY stated that this is a false report.... and his name will be cleared.

I think I heard them also say that the steroid test report involving Matthews and Cushing was not accurate either.

These agents better be absolutely sure that these players are innocent, and better be able to prove it. If there really are positive tests out there, denying them is the WORST thing they can do.

April 7th, 2009, 1:02 pm
RIP Killer

Williams smoked his way out of the NFL and all he did was marijuana... same for our own Rogers.

April 7th, 2009, 1:03 pm
QB Coach

ESPN NFL Today was stating that the reports on Raji are false, and that those who did fail will be known April 20 or 26th. The doctor who performed the test has not spoken or been able to be reached, if I understood the report correctly.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 8th, 2009, 10:18 am
QB Coach

Report: Character Issues Affecting Players’ Draft Stock
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 12, 2009, 6:18 p.m.

NFL teams’ annual scrutiny of draft prospects’ respective backgrounds will traditionally cause a change of status, up or down.

In more serious cases, players are removed from draft boards altogether.

According to the Chicago Tribune, several players are at risk of being downgraded in the draft due to character issues. Citing NFL scouts as its source of information, the report lists a variety of players under the microscope.

Besides mentioning Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis, Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith and USC linebacker Rey Maualuga, the report also referenced several other players for various issues, including:

Arizona State linebacker Morris Wooten (violated team rules), Ohio State offensive tackle Alex Boone (alcohol-related episodes), Georgia linebacker Dannell Ellerbe (felony car theft, DUI), Wisconsin running back P.J. Hill (DUI), Iowa running back Shonn Greene (academic problems, work ethic), Tennessee running back Arian Foster (disorderly conduct arrest), Purdue running back Kory Sheets (barred from speaking with media after being critical of game plan, teammates) and Ohio State cornerback Donald Washington (violating team rules).

Here's the link to the full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 4455.story

Not about drug tests but figured it kinda fit the theme of this thread.

April 12th, 2009, 7:29 pm
National Champion

26 Names On Positive Test List?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2009, 10:49 p.m. EDT
Not long ago, a league source speculated that the list of players who tested positive for drugs or banned substances at the Scouting Combine could be as high as 25.

A separate league source told us tonight that the word on the street is that the magic number is 26.

It’s an amazing number, if it’s accurate. Again, these guys know they’re going to be tested.

In the past, we’ve heard tales of players going on a smoking spree after giving their urine sample at the Combine; this year, we’ve heard of at least one player who claims he smoked pot the night before the test.

Apparently, all that pot smoke makes guys really, really stupid.

Truth is I don't want to spread a rumor if it's like this one, but I only bring it here because PFT just won't back off the story. If NFL officials called me after I published a shady story, I'd back off, myself. Either this is true or PFT is the one on drugs.

Either way, now they're calling it 26 names instead of 25 to make the list.

April 16th, 2009, 6:52 am
National Champion

SI.com Retracts Raji Report
Posted by Mike Florio: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:35 PM
A day after word broke that Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji didn't test positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine, SI.com has retracted it's report to the contrary.

"An SI.com report posted earlier this month incorrectly stated that Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji's name would appear on the NFL's list of players who tested positive for drugs at the NFL Scouting Combine in February," the "Correction" reads. "We regret the error."

SI.com initially removed the report from draft expert Tony Pauline, but opted not to retract it, presumably pending publication of the official list of players who tested positive. Pauline publicly said that he stands by what his sources told him.

Though legal action by Raji remains possible, it likely won't trigger a big-money outcome. A defamation claim puts a person's entire life under a microscope, since the measure of damages is the ultimate injury to his pre-existing reputation.

Moreover, the fact that he didn't appear on the list of players who tested positive means that, in theory, the report didn't affect his draft stock.

But with the NFL delaying the dissemination of the drug test report until this week, it's possible that one or more team who were inclined to kick Raji's tires via a pre-draft visit removed him from the board before knowing for sure whether the report was accurate. The fact that he has been cleared doesn't change the fact that it's too late to bring him to town for further due diligence.

Still, with no feasible way of defending against liability without disclosing Pauline's sources, SI.com would be in a bind, if Raji chooses to file suit.

Our guess is that Raji's people will at a minimum give SI.com a chance to resolve the case cleanly and quietly with a confidential payment to Raji's favorite charity.

You know, the charity that begins at home.

PFT's site is down atm so they are working from NBC's sports page, which is where I read this.

Last I heard, the number is 10 people and it appears Raji's name is not on it. They went from removing the story to now retracting it.

April 21st, 2009, 4:43 pm
National Champion

WRs reportedly positive for marijuanaComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Wide receivers Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate tested positive for marijuana during February's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, two sources told FOXSports.com.

The news could be potentially damaging to the wide receivers' stock during this weekend's NFL draft.

Harvin was considered a first-round pick after leaving the University of Florida following his junior season. Tate was considered a possible second- to fourth-round pick after a solid college career at North Carolina.

Joel Segal, the agent who represents both players, didn't return messages from FOXSports.com seeking comment.

NFL teams received the drug-test results earlier this week, according to FOXSports.com.

Sources told FOXSports.com Harvin and Tate were the only two high-profile players to flunk their combine drug tests, and one of the sources said that fewer than a dozen players tested positive for recreational drugs.

Players who failed the tests are subject to entry into the NFL's substance-abuse program.

Harvin finished his college career with 133 receptions for 1,929 yards and 13 touchdowns and 194 carries for 1,852 yards and 19 scores. He averaged 9.5 yards per carry and 11.6 yards every time he touched the ball. He also posted a strong 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

He was at his best in big games, earning MVP honors in the 2006 Southeastern Conference championship game and totaling 171 yards and a touchdown in a victory over Oklahoma in the Bowl Championship Series national title game in January.

He lined up at receiver, running back and quarterback for the Gators but expects to do even more at the next level because several teams have already talked to him about returning kickoffs and punts.

Tate finished his career with an NCAA-record 3,523 career combined kick-return yards. Before tearing two knee ligaments midway through his senior year, he averaged 23.5 yards on his 16 receptions.

Tate, still recovering from his injury, didn't work out at the combine.

Two my knowledge, these are the only big names that have leaked or that will leak at this point. It's a good thing that these guys aren't as dumb as we may have thought they were.

I think you guys know my position on recreational use of Mary Jane, but if you are dumb enough to get popped at a test you know is coming years in advance, we have to question your intelligence and dedication.

Even if something like that were legalized, they would still probably test for it and still discourage it (much like some employers do with cigarettes). It is a good thing to see that these guys are both smart and dedicated for the most part. I think Tate suprizes me, while everyone and their mother knew Harvin's name should show up on the list. I do have to applaud Raji through all of this, he's not really even crying spilt milk as of yet, but that may have to do with the fact that he hasn't been drafted yet. His previous positive may also have something to do with his silence on the matter.

Anyways, just keeping us up to date on this topic. If the Vikings really did remove 78 names from their board for serious red flags, it was for more than steroids or Mary Jane.

EDIT: This article basically hits the nail right on the head as far as my feelings on these guys. Just saw it at PFT (they're back at their home site now.)

Quote:
The Trouble With Positive Pot Tests
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2009, 9:51 a.m. EDT
There’s an interesting poll at Dan Patrick’s web page today regarding the various red flags that could arise in the pre-draft process.

Currently, the lowest result is testing positive for marijuana, at four percent.

But here’s the problem, as we’ve previously pointed out and as Mike Mayock of NFLN mentioned on Patrick’s show today.

It’s not that a guy smokes marijuana; plenty pro athletes do. One front-office exec told me recently that he thinks 50 percent of his team’s players smoke it. The problem is that, when a player knows a test is coming and can’t generate clean urine, the player is either very stupid, or he’s an addict.

So if a guy can’t avoid smoking pot when he knows the stakes, he could become the next Ricky Williams, with a four-game suspension followed by a one-year banishment — and possibly a one-year retirement aimed at avoiding a separate one-year banishment.

Drafting a guy like that can get people fired. That’s why a positive marijuana result from the Scouting Combine is such a big deal.

April 22nd, 2009, 6:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3