View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 12:56 pm



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 10 Points from Mike Mayock via Peter King 
Author Message
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3219
Location: Maryland
Post 10 Points from Mike Mayock via Peter King
Quote:
Eighteen short days until the draft, so it's time for yours truly to start devoting days and nights to draft education. I started with a conversation with Mike Mayock of NFL Network, a guy I like a lot because he's blunt and not afraid to be wrong. If you're afraid to be wrong in the draft business, you'll be mealy mouthed. That's not Mayock.

Ten Nuggets Mined From Mayock

1. "This is by far the worst year for the top 10 that I've seen. Down around 18, 20, you'll get every bit the player you'll get in the top 10 for a third of the price.''

2. His gut feeling is Detroit's taking Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick of the draft.

3. "I can't bang the table for Stafford the way I did for Matt Ryan last year. I don't see an elite player in him every time I watch, which you need to see if you're taking a quarterback that high.''

4. Mayock, if he had his choice of first-round picks for talent and value, would be around 22. "The value in this draft is at 15 and beyond.''

5. He says eight or nine tight ends will be drafted in the first three rounds. He loves the best of the bunch, Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew. (I'd love to see the Bills land him, by the way. Perfect offensive weapon for a coordinator, Turk Schonert, who loves to use the tight end.)

6. He likes Eugene Monroe over Jason Smith, if you're picking a franchise tackle. "Smith's got a better upside. Very aggressive. But Monroe's got the best feet in the draft. He's a really accomplished technician.''

7. He thinks Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry -- who Detroit would play at middle linebacker if the Lions made him the first pick of the draft -- would be optimally used at strongside linebacker in the 4-3 because he can cover, he can play physically over the tight end, and he's got upside pass-rushing ability.

8. He's scared of Brian Orakpo, the Texas defensive end who's the apple of a few teams' eyes in the top half of the first round. "Buyer beware,'' Mayock said. "He's boom or bust. I don't know if he's DeMarcus Ware or Vernon Gholston. I've seen him have some really good games, and I've seen what I considered to be Brandon Pettigrew tearing him apart. The point is, I don't see it all the time from Orakpo, which concerns me.''

9. Of the elite quarterbacks, he likes USC's Mark Sanchez the best. "He's the most ready made for the pro game right now.''

10. If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great.

A year ago, Mayock told me he liked Ryan, who played four years at Boston College, more than he'd liked any quarterback to come out in years. Not the case with the three early entry passers this year -- Stafford, Sanchez and Kansas State's Josh Freeman. "In the last 15 years, there have been 11 underclass quarterbacks taken in the first round,'' he said. "Of those 11, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers are the only clear successes. It's a dangerous thing, picking young quarterbacks so high.''


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

Some interesting tidbits in there. I disagree about #10 but what do I know.


April 8th, 2009, 6:22 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2713
Post 
I felt that last year was the "year of the cornerbacks" if you will, and he's probably right that the CBs coming out this year pale in comparison.

However, the Lions really don't have much choice. They're going to have to blow a top pick on one simply because they don't have any.


April 8th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3143
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
Blueskies wrote:
I felt that last year was the "year of the cornerbacks" if you will, and he's probably right that the CBs coming out this year pale in comparison.

However, the Lions really don't have much choice. They're going to have to blow a top pick on one simply because they don't have any.

That's simply not true. They've picked up a couple in free agency who should at least be serviceable for this year. Then they can either use a later round pick on a CB this year, or use a high round pick on one next year.

It seems like a lot of people here are getting caught up in this idea that all the problems have to be addressed this year. That's just not possible. Get the biggest upgrades possible at as many positions as possible, and address the rest in the next couple years.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


April 8th, 2009, 8:36 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
Blueskies wrote:
I felt that last year was the "year of the cornerbacks" if you will, and he's probably right that the CBs coming out this year pale in comparison.

However, the Lions really don't have much choice. They're going to have to blow a top pick on one simply because they don't have any.

Quote:
That's simply not true. They've picked up a couple in free agency who should at least be serviceable for this year. Then they can either use a later round pick on a CB this year, or use a high round pick on one next year.

It seems like a lot of people here are getting caught up in this idea that all the problems have to be addressed this year. That's just not possible. Get the biggest upgrades possible at as many positions as possible, and address the rest in the next couple years.

That's right, that's why we went nuts in FA, to fill all the damn holes. Now we can draft BPA, how your supposed to draft. We would have been need reaching all day without the FA pickups.


April 9th, 2009, 6:22 am
Profile
Walk On

Joined: November 2nd, 2008, 1:29 am
Posts: 427
Post 
Agreed. Our cornerback situation after the dismissal of Bodden was bad or worse. With a few additions of decent talent, mixed with an imminent scheme change, I'd describe our cornerbacks as 'average'. Certainly not a 'must draft' scenario.

Quote:
There are no corners even well above average, never mind great.


If that is true, what makes you think we'd necessarily improve our secondary much by drafting?

-ILMP


April 9th, 2009, 8:08 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
I felt that last year was the "year of the cornerbacks" if you will, and he's probably right that the CBs coming out this year pale in comparison.

However, the Lions really don't have much choice. They're going to have to blow a top pick on one simply because they don't have any.

That's simply not true. They've picked up a couple in free agency who should at least be serviceable for this year. Then they can either use a later round pick on a CB this year, or use a high round pick on one next year.

It seems like a lot of people here are getting caught up in this idea that all the problems have to be addressed this year. That's just not possible. Get the biggest upgrades possible at as many positions as possible, and address the rest in the next couple years.


I completely disagree TDJ. They have one "serviceable" starting corner in Philip Buchanon. Anthony Henry is not what I call a starting caliber corner, and Travis Fisher is absolute garbage and should have been cut in camp last year. Keith Smith is a good nickel corner, but has problems in a starting role.

All that being said, as much as I respect Mayock, I think he's wrong about the cornerback class. While there may not be a very good class of corners this year, I think some of them can come in and contribute. I personally feel that Darius Butler can start in the NFL. Vontae Davis, while inconsistent at times, has elite skills when he is on. Malcolm Jenkins spent four years shutting down some pretty good Big Ten receivers. Jenkins has great instincts, is rarely caught out of position, and has good football IQ.

Butler, Davis and Jenkins are worth first round picks, in my opinion. Top ten? No. At number twenty? I think any of the three would be a good pick.


April 10th, 2009, 10:34 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1060
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
I felt that last year was the "year of the cornerbacks" if you will, and he's probably right that the CBs coming out this year pale in comparison.

However, the Lions really don't have much choice. They're going to have to blow a top pick on one simply because they don't have any.

That's simply not true. They've picked up a couple in free agency who should at least be serviceable for this year. Then they can either use a later round pick on a CB this year, or use a high round pick on one next year.

It seems like a lot of people here are getting caught up in this idea that all the problems have to be addressed this year. That's just not possible. Get the biggest upgrades possible at as many positions as possible, and address the rest in the next couple years.


I completely disagree TDJ. They have one "serviceable" starting corner in Philip Buchanon. Anthony Henry is not what I call a starting caliber corner, and Travis Fisher is absolute garbage and should have been cut in camp last year. Keith Smith is a good nickel corner, but has problems in a starting role.

All that being said, as much as I respect Mayock, I think he's wrong about the cornerback class. While there may not be a very good class of corners this year, I think some of them can come in and contribute. I personally feel that Darius Butler can start in the NFL. Vontae Davis, while inconsistent at times, has elite skills when he is on. Malcolm Jenkins spent four years shutting down some pretty good Big Ten receivers. Jenkins has great instincts, is rarely caught out of position, and has good football IQ.

Butler, Davis and Jenkins are worth first round picks, in my opinion. Top ten? No. At number twenty? I think any of the three would be a good pick.


I think the reason the Lions made sure to bolster the secondary was that they did not feel there were any top flight corners that would be there when they picked. Jenkins at 20 would be a steal. Davis at 33, maybe but Schwartz might see another Pacman there.


April 11th, 2009, 11:41 am
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: March 30th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Posts: 182
Post 
Regarding the original article:
I'm not impressed with how Mayock is apparently so given to snap judgements. No way should Ryan be labeled an "elite player" after his rookie campaign; or Rodgers should be classed with Big Ben as a "clear success" after one season as starter. Nor do I believe that Gholston should be tagged a "bust" after his rookie season, either. Just a nitpick, to be sure, but I don't think any of those examples did anything to support whatever points he was trying to make.

As far as the DB or not DB debate:
Look, I just feel you have to grade a lot of our personnel last year on a curve. They were put into a fairly complicated "scheme" defense and were poorly coached in that scheme, to boot. Our DBs were put on islands much of the last year (as much as they can be in a tampa-2 scheme). This isn't to say Fisher wqasn't garbage, but I'm also fine seeing how Buchanon, King and Henry fare before we commit precious early round picks to upgrading.

We couldn't stop the run, making us commit more personnel to the attempt (more area in the backfield for the DBs to have to cover) and opening us up more for the play action; and we couldn't generate enough pressure on the opposing QB to take some off our CBs. I'd be fine waiting till next season (or until a FA pickup or trade to upgrade the DB presents itself) to upgrade, and would rather we try to fix the root of our problem (IMO) last season: our front-7 play.


April 11th, 2009, 5:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.