View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Stafford to Seattle. Sanchez to... 
Cheerleader

Post Stafford to Seattle. Sanchez to...
Tell me what you think of this brainstorm...

If we get Stafford to agree to contract parameters with guaranteed money of less than or equal to 30 million, I think that pick suddenly becomes trade-able...

From what I am hearing Seattle will pounce on Stafford if he is there at 4. I feel that we could trade that pick to Seattle if we get Stafford to sign a conservative deal in order to be the first pick. Seattle should be willing to give up 2 2nds or this years 2nd and next years 1st to get Stafford.

What would We do if we had the 4th pick and Stafford, Curry and Smith are off the boards? I say Denver might be willing to trade to get in front of Cleveland and grab Sanchez. Grab Denvers 2 1sts and say a 3rd, or maybe a 2nd next year... I think I wouldn't think twice about jumping all over that.

Having 2 1sts in 2010 should give us enough ammo to be able to land one of the two great QB prospects coming out next year.

Having 3 1sts this year might allow for us to trade out of #20 and pick up more picks late in the first day. Re-Signing 3 1st round picks later may be tough considering you truly do build your team through the draft, but I see the possibility of Stafford signing for less than Russell money making trade out of the 1st pick much more likely.

We could end up with Oher at 12, Clay Matthews at 18 and maybe someone like Alex Mack later in the 1st...

Just a thought, but if Stafford wants to be a leader and take less to be the top pick, scenarios abound for the Lions...

Stay Tuned!!!

Go Lions!!!

April 8th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

No way. If the Lions take Stafford #1 overall there is zero chance he signs a "conservative" deal. I'll go on record right now saying there is absolutely, without a doubt, no chance in hell that happens.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

April 9th, 2009, 1:39 am
Heisman Winner

A "conservative" deal for a #1 could only be a position not accustomed to being a top pick like a LB or a Guard. You may be able to have some wiggle room to negociate a discount there. QB on the otherhand.......bwwwaahhhhaaaaaaa fuggettaboutit.

April 9th, 2009, 8:04 am
Heisman Winner

I'm not convinced there are 'two great prospects coming out next year' that are better than Stafford.

If Seattle is willing to give so much, why do you suppose that might be?

April 9th, 2009, 6:09 pm
Walk On

Having 2 1sts in 2010 should give us enough ammo to be able to land one of the two great QB prospects coming out next year.

I'll give you Bradford as one... but who is number 2? Snead?

I'm pretty sure you are meaning McCoy, but he's not a 'great' prospect. He is a very good college QB, but lacks the deep ball threat. That is one part of the game that the Lions surely need. Snead will probably go higher.

-ILMP

April 9th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm not even completely sold on Bradford being a "great" prospect after the game against Florida. He throws are nice pass when he isn't under pressure but after that his game needs just as much work as any prospect this year or years past. He doesn't make the pre-snap reads, whether or not the coach lets him or he just can't do it is a question. He's going have to learn to make the adjustment to running more play action passes, something Stafford does better than some NFL QBs I've seen. It's not an easy thing to turn your back to a defense and snap around and make a good throw. The game against Florida was the first time he was really pressured and he was average at best in that game. The one knock I always hear is that he doesn't have great arm strength but I don't see it. I think he has a very good arm but on the deep ball he lets it sail a little too much. Which could be a problem in the NFL where CBs and Ss will either be grabbing INTs or sending his WRs to the locker room.

Right now I think people are just so set against Stafford that they are overlooking his flaws. Yest come next year there is likely going to be a lot of posters on here saying, "Don't take Bradford he's going to bust." I'm not completely sold on Stafford especially at #1 but I think he can have an Aikman like career with the right cast around him. Aikman's numbers with the Cowboys aren't "wow" numbers but he was there when it mattered. I wrote it a couple months ago but this season just shy of 79% (I think but can't remember exactly) of Stafford's completions went for 1st downs or TDs. Anything close to that in Detroit would be huge for the offense and defense. The Lions have lacked the ability at the QB position to maintain drives and make the big plays.

I still hope a team gets desperate last minute and trades for the #1 but if not I'll support Stafford just as much as Curry, a LT, or any surprise they might throw out there even if I'm not sold on the pick.

April 9th, 2009, 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]