View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Allegedly Stafford to Lions a 'Done deal'-per Stafford-$40M 
Walk On

Post Allegedly Stafford to Lions a 'Done deal'-per Stafford-$40M
Quote:
Stafford Telling Teammates He’ll Be A Lion
Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2009, 6:47 p.m.

Last week, we’ve heard that the Lions have locked onto Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

The information came from a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

This week, we’re hearing the same thing, but from the player’s perspective.

As we hear it, Stafford is telling his former Bulldog teammates that he’ll be the pick, and that he’ll receive more than $40 million, guaranteed, under the contract that the team will pay him.

Stafford is characterizing the move as a “done deal.”

If true, there’s no further reason for the Lions to continue to put out the “signability” nonsense to rest, and for the Lions to announce that Stafford is the guy sooner rather than later.
Permalink | 9 Comments Back to Top

-ILMP

April 13th, 2009, 7:28 pm
National Champion

All I know is, please for the love of God do not announce him as the pick until the deal is inked... If nobody learned from Oakland...

April 13th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Walk On

Forgive my ignorance, but what happened in Oakland exactly?

-ILMP

April 13th, 2009, 7:34 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah, I forgot what happened in Oakland accept for the unreasonably long holdout basically screwing everyone over.

All I do pray is that the 40 million is not a true figure... uggg... I hate rookies...

April 13th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If this is true, they had Better be Right and any money over the guaranteed amount better be PLAYTIME Bonus's.

April 13th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

April 13th, 2009, 9:40 pm
Team MVP

This better not be true. How on earth is Stafford going to help us when we have such a bad O-line and our defense is so bad?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 13th, 2009, 9:46 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I know some of the contract periods and bonus details were different, but just from a few numbers I pulled up on guaranteed dollar amounts for drafted rookie QB's:

Ryan Leaf: $11.25 million signing bonus
David Carr: $10.92 million signing bonus
Joey Harrington: $6mil signing bonus + $7mil option bonus

If these reports are true, Matthew Stafford might be paid more than Ryan Leaf, David Carr and Joey Harrington combined.

He'd better be worth it. Mediocrity is absolutely unacceptable. If he's not a multiple-Pro Bowl QB, he'd better implode in such spectacular fashion that we never make a mistake like this again.

:twisted:

April 13th, 2009, 9:48 pm
Walk On

More recently, Matt Ryan received 33.xx million last year as the third overall selection. The 40 million reported would be a 15 percent increase over one year. It seems high, but it's also a higher draft position. Compared to Long's contract, it would be an even larger escalation.

Keep in mind that this is essentially rumor at this stage. There is no concrete source, and so far no one else reporting, as far as I can tell. The inclusion of the alleged bonus money is curious though.

-ILMP

April 13th, 2009, 9:55 pm
National Champion

No ignorance at all IMLP; my Oakland reference is about the 2007 season. With weeks rolling up to the draft, the Raiders were reportedly still stuck on who to draft, but that they finally decided on Russell because of his arm (which leaked to the media).

They never thought it was detrimental to get the contract signed prior to the draft.

When Russells agents caught wind of the Raiders draft plans, they demanded that he get more money than what they were offering. Oakland countered by insulting Russells agents (saying they were inexperienced) and saying it was there way or the highway.

The end result was a holdout into September of that season. Not only did Russell never attend any camps that year, he didn't even pick up a playbook until the season was well underway. In the process, he showed his teammates how little he cared about the "team" and set the team back as well. In the end, he ended up with a 6 year deal totalling 68 million with 31.5 guaranteed.

Story to take home... Don't ever, ever, let your pick know they are the pick until they've counteroffered your deal and you accept it. The most important part of drafting number 1 (other than picking whoever you'd like) is getting the deal done prior to chosing them. You're the only team with that advantage, so use it and hit the ground running.

Just for comparisons sake, Matt Ryans contract was 6 years 72 million with 34.75 guaranteed.

If Stafford really is getting 40 million guaranteed, I'd say it is probably fair value (Matt Ryan would have arguably received 36-38 million guaranteed if chosen #1 last year). This would mean that the infamous Condon isn't quite a badass as I thought he was (analysts have predicted Stafford would get over 40 million and that there would likely be a holdout if we were stuck on him). It isn't a steal either, but I don't think I'd be that upset, and I'd just be happy we have him signed.

April 13th, 2009, 10:00 pm
RIP Killer

If I am wrong, I will freely and gladly admit it.

The Lions, if this report is true, have made their BIGGEST draft blunder....EVER....and it will be high time for those folks who don't want to give up their season tickets in fear of losing them....to shut the f___ up and stop buying those damn things.

April 13th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

The Lions, if this report is true, have made their BIGGEST draft blunder....EVER....and it will be high time for those folks who don't want to give up their season tickets in fear of losing them....to shut the f___ up and stop buying those damn things.

Why do you think it's the BIGGEST draft blunder EVER m2k? I was hoping for Jason Smith but if the Lions think he is the best pick for this team I will support it. Will Stafford succed in the NFL? Who knows but you can't be afraid of failing b/c of bad QB picks in the past. The BIGGEST draft blunder EVER was probably Millen drafting BMW.

April 13th, 2009, 10:24 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:

Why do you think it's the BIGGEST draft blunder EVER m2k? I was hoping for Jason Smith but if the Lions think he is the best pick for this team I will support it. Will Stafford succed in the NFL? Who knows but you can't be afraid of failing b/c of bad QB picks in the past. The BIGGEST draft blunder EVER was probably "Moron of the Millenium" drafting BMW.

Agreed. I don't know that it gets worse than "Big Mike" Williams. Passing up Shawne Merriman, DeMarcus Ware, AND Derrick Johnson for what was considered a stacked position at the time is just undescribable.

April 13th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Heisman Winner

I'm kind of thinking you're overreacting a bit here. Mike Williams others have mentioned. Despite that, there's a lot of evidence already in that makes that a steep hill to climb. Drafting a fullback the year Marino came out. Drafting Andre Ware with 2 QBs on the roster already. Passing on Randy Moss for Terry Fair. Trading the #7 pick in the draft for Pat Swilling. I think I could keep going for a long while....

April 13th, 2009, 11:01 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

And if its NOT true... I'm going to be laughing everytime I hear Stafford's name called by whoever picks him.

April 13th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next