View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Allegedly Stafford to Lions a 'Done deal'-per Stafford-$40M 
National Champion

I agree on the timing and the contract size. It just doesn't make sense to sign a contract THAT big when we have some leverage. I'd imagine we could settle on a contract that size if we signed him draft day.

Faulkn22- I don't really get the argument about not needing a LT if we are not playing Stafford. If it is a need, we should address it. If not, then don't. I doesn't matter if we start Daunte, your starter is worth protecting. It will also make your starter better. If we don't address it, we run a higher risk of injury to the starter/backup, and could end up being forced to play the rookie. It happened last year, for goodness sake.

-ILMP

That certainly is one reason for drafting a LT. I would counter however that we have two backup tackles (foster can play RT as a backup and Loper as LT) so it's not like MLB where we do have one at all. I guess I semi-agree with that reason (plus, even when you have a stud you want good backup (but I'm not looking for a backup in the first round or the 5th or 6th best tackle at pick 20).

April 14th, 2009, 8:23 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Last edited by phunnypharm on April 14th, 2009, 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

April 14th, 2009, 8:38 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
If I am wrong, I will freely and gladly admit it.

The Lions, if this report is true, have made their BIGGEST draft blunder....EVER....and it will be high time for those folks who don't want to give up their season tickets in fear of losing them....to shut the f___ up and stop buying those damn things.

I'm kind of thinking you're overreacting a bit here. Mike Williams others have mentioned. Despite that, there's a lot of evidence already in that makes that a steep hill to climb. Drafting a fullback the year Marino came out. Drafting Andre Ware with 2 QBs on the roster already. Passing on Randy Moss for Terry Fair. Trading the #7 pick in the draft for Pat Swilling. I think I could keep going for a long while....

Agree completely. Anyone saying the know at this point who will or will not be a good NFL player is a fool. Nobody knows yet. There are obviously some players who have a better chance to be good than others, but if you really did know who was going to be good and who wasn't, you should be working for an NFL team and be getting paid millions.

If the Lions do draft Stafford and he turns out to be a good QB, I will be looking for your mea culpa on here :wink:

As I said, I would freely and gladly admit it IF the Lions draft Stafford and IF he turns out to be more than another notch in a long line of first round blunders in the draft post at Allen Park.

I have offered my opinion. I am not stating matter-of-factly that Stafford will be a complete bust. However, unless he becomes a full fledged Pro Bowler who makes this entire team better with his play, then they will have wasted that pick.

And to jrd66: comparing a number one overall pick to Andre Ware or Mike Williams, with a guarantee of $40M is a fools game in which you will lose. Many other teams passed on Moss for a reason. Moss proved them wrong, but 20 other teams passed on him as well as the Lions.

We are talking about the Lions (possibly) taking a quarterback (and we have THREE on the roster already) with the top overall pick, when in fact that player is not seen by a great majority of experts as the top overall prospect in this draft. Some don't even consider him the top prospect at his position.

Sorry, but he better light up scoreboards and be the second coming of Favre to earn that draft spot AND his cash.

EXACTLY!!!

There are a TON of draft day flops.

However.....

the KEY to the discussion here is the MONEY involved in this deal.

The stakes have raised every year..... and I came to the conclusion SEVERAL years ago that the big money deals to unproven rookies made the top 3 picks in the draft worth MUCH LESS that Millen led people to believe they were worth.

The FACT of the matter is that almost ZERO QBs hit the ground running.... and most take at least 3 years to become pro-bowl caliber QBs even IF they are of the caliber of a Peyton Manning. That means that selecting a QB at the #1 overall position only works out in a "satisfactory" way once in a great while....... and RARELY makes the difference in turning the tide for a downtrodden franchise. Only Manning and McNabb have succeeded in the "salary cap era" to make a consistently crappy team into a perennial contender.

I guess as long as Stafford has a Hall-of-Fame type of career along the lines of those other VERY FEW guys who have made that type of impact.... then we will have made a smart move to draft a QB and pay that massive amount of guaranteed money.

Therefore.......

giving a $40 million bonus and thus committing to an unproven player that plays a position with the HIGHEST rate of failure...... is basically giving the franchise a slim chance at having success any time in the next 5 years for a variety of factors.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT......

Oh...... and by the way....

Has anyone on the QB bandwagon considered that there may be a rookie salary structure put in place as early as NEXT YEAR..... so drafting a QB at that time would reduce the amount of risk incredibly????

Nevermind the reasoning that building a quality TEAM first.... before selecting a young QB.... seems to work better any way.......

April 14th, 2009, 10:20 pm
Heisman Winner

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
If I am wrong, I will freely and gladly admit it.

The Lions, if this report is true, have made their BIGGEST draft blunder....EVER....and it will be high time for those folks who don't want to give up their season tickets in fear of losing them....to shut the f___ up and stop buying those damn things.

I'm kind of thinking you're overreacting a bit here. Mike Williams others have mentioned. Despite that, there's a lot of evidence already in that makes that a steep hill to climb. Drafting a fullback the year Marino came out. Drafting Andre Ware with 2 QBs on the roster already. Passing on Randy Moss for Terry Fair. Trading the #7 pick in the draft for Pat Swilling. I think I could keep going for a long while....

Agree completely. Anyone saying the know at this point who will or will not be a good NFL player is a fool. Nobody knows yet. There are obviously some players who have a better chance to be good than others, but if you really did know who was going to be good and who wasn't, you should be working for an NFL team and be getting paid millions.

If the Lions do draft Stafford and he turns out to be a good QB, I will be looking for your mea culpa on here :wink:

As I said, I would freely and gladly admit it IF the Lions draft Stafford and IF he turns out to be more than another notch in a long line of first round blunders in the draft post at Allen Park.

I have offered my opinion. I am not stating matter-of-factly that Stafford will be a complete bust. However, unless he becomes a full fledged Pro Bowler who makes this entire team better with his play, then they will have wasted that pick.

And to jrd66: comparing a number one overall pick to Andre Ware or Mike Williams, with a guarantee of $40M is a fools game in which you will lose. Many other teams passed on Moss for a reason. Moss proved them wrong, but 20 other teams passed on him as well as the Lions.

We are talking about the Lions (possibly) taking a quarterback (and we have THREE on the roster already) with the top overall pick, when in fact that player is not seen by a great majority of experts as the top overall prospect in this draft. Some don't even consider him the top prospect at his position.

Sorry, but he better light up scoreboards and be the second coming of Favre to earn that draft spot AND his cash.

For my money, Andre Ware was the biggest draft blunder I've seen the Lions make. A top 10 draft pick for a guy who could not play a lick. That's the basis of my comparison, not the salary number that of course will be far higher 19 years later. I would like to see Stafford here, we'll see what happens and how things turn out for him wherever he ends up. I just think that he'd have to be absolutely putrid to outdo the debacle that was Andre Ware and the receiver fetish of Matt Millen.

April 14th, 2009, 11:16 pm
Stadium Announcer

I coudn't disagree with this decision more.

I feel patronized.

"There, there now, poor little lions fan... Daddy Ford will buy you a flashy new quarterback and you can get a new logo jersey with his name on it. That will make it all better."

Build a flippin' team while Daunte takes the hits and takes the blame. At least then he'd be worth his paycheck. Draft a QB when you're sure. Draft a QB when they are the BPA. Sign a QB in FA that can make a difference.

DON'T make me feel so stupid for believing Curry had a chance if we decided NOT to draft a LT.

This just doesn't sound like Schwartz from what we have heard thus far. It's so topical. A band aid for a bullet wound.

I could go on and on.

Last time I felt so irratated was high school. Similar situation. 4 people available to represent our class with pride as home coming king. Then the popular kids told everyone who to vote for. Great. I vote the eagle scout, student athlete. Mel Kiper and his cronies find a way to get the apple of their eye voted in... the kid who got blown the most by anything claiming to be female. This was a popularity contest.

For the record... I don't buy it.

April 14th, 2009, 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

I find it interesting since Mike Smith of ESPN made it a point last night to mention how the Lions were not only undecided on who to take 1st, but were in reported disagreement even in that Stafford was the #1 QB prospect.

While I hope this report isn't accurate, I think it would make sense from the standpoint that I seen it reported the new uniforms/logo will be unveiled next monday, and I'm certain poppa ford would love to have the #1 overall already signed to display him in the new jersey (if not expressly forbidden by the NFL).

I'd still be disappointed though, as I'll steadfastly believe it to be the wrong move for this franchise until Stafford actually leads us to at the least a playoff appearance.

April 14th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Varsity Captain

Look at the moves Mayhew has made and ask yourself whether or not he'd pass on a franchise LB or LT to make a rookie the highest paid qb in the leauge..

We keep hearing that they wont draft anyone they cant sign beforehand.. this is to get the best "bang for your buck" in the draft.. This article goes against everything weve heard thus far.

JUST SAY NO to Stafford
GO DAUNTE
trade for quinn
quinn & stanton compete.

April 15th, 2009, 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3