View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 8:24 am



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's assume Stafford is the pick, what's your board @20? 
Author Message
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2713
Post Let's assume Stafford is the pick, what's your board @20?
As the title says, assuming Stafford goes #1, what does your draft board look like at 20? Try to give 4-5 players that would realistically be there.

Mine:

1. Oher
2. Maualuga
3. Hood
4. V. Davis


April 14th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: January 16th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post 
Won't drop but hey I followed with 4 more realistic picks:

1. M. Jenkins
2. R. Ayers
3. M. Oher
4. R Maualuga
5. "Z" Hood

and for kicks I want V. Davis to fall to 33.

_________________
Lions fan.


April 14th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Joined: March 30th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Posts: 182
Post 
Along the same lines of realistic, if not terribly likely:
1) Tyson Jackson
2) R. Ayers
3) Pettigrew
4) Oher
5) trade down


April 14th, 2009, 11:48 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: January 16th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post 
I love Pettigrew... just think he is even less likely to be there at 20 than Jenkins.

_________________
Lions fan.


April 14th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2285
Post 
1. Maualuga
2. Pettigrew
3. Hood
4. V. Davis / D.Butler
5. Oher


April 15th, 2009, 1:36 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 967
Post 
Anything defense.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


April 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Vet
User avatar

Joined: November 11th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Grand Rapids
Post 
Maualuga
Mack
Jerry
Hood
Laurinaitis


April 15th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
Best OT available... hopefully Oher made it that far.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 15th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: December 16th, 2008, 8:44 am
Posts: 843
Post 
BPA. So for example, using Gosselin's latest mock, that would leave a choice of...

Ziggy Hood
Brandon Pettigrew
Malcolm Jenkins
Clay Matthews
Brian Cushing

Out of those guys, I'd grade Jenkins the highest and it's a position of need. Thats the guy I'd go with. Both USC backers are out just because we are set at OLB, Ziggy is a reach there and Pettigrew grades out good but I think a lot of people may call that a reach too just because of his position, although he is damn good at it and I would consider him as well.

I've kind of already stated it here in the last few days, but if the Stafford thing is true then I do not want to draft need any other pick, so this means LT is the need draft next year. Lets hope an elite G or C falls to us in the 2nd or 3rds to upgrade the O-line if we can.

That's how I'd do it at 20 using that particular mock. It could change pretty easily based on the mocked used and or slips on draft day.


April 15th, 2009, 3:30 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
My fear is that if they draft Stafford first overall, the Lions will feel that they have to "support" their "franchise" player by getting him some supporting players on the offense, and once again the Lions will completely ignore their defense.

In my eyes, if the Lions take Stafford, it is once again a case of the Ford Family getting involved where they should NOT.


April 15th, 2009, 3:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
faulkn22 wrote:
BPA. So for example, using Gosselin's latest mock, that would leave a choice of...

Ziggy Hood
Brandon Pettigrew
Malcolm Jenkins
Clay Matthews
Brian Cushing

Out of those guys, I'd grade Jenkins the highest and it's a position of need. Thats the guy I'd go with. Both USC backers are out just because we are set at OLB, Ziggy is a reach there and Pettigrew grades out good but I think a lot of people may call that a reach too just because of his position, although he is damn good at it and I would consider him as well.

I've kind of already stated it here in the last few days, but if the Stafford thing is true then I do not want to draft need any other pick, so this means LT is the need draft next year. Lets hope an elite G or C falls to us in the 2nd or 3rds to upgrade the O-line if we can.

That's how I'd do it at 20 using that particular mock. It could change pretty easily based on the mocked used and or slips on draft day.


I think if a guy like Jenkins is still there you HAVE to take him. I think we will be surprised where he goes, just like when the Bills took Witner from OSU in 2006 who turned out to be a pretty decent safety and lately a pretty bad drunk. I feel Jenkins will go higher than expected because some team will covet him as they would have last year.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 15th, 2009, 4:11 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3219
Location: Maryland
Post 
Oher
Maualuga
Pettigrew
Jerry
V.Davis


April 15th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 811
Location: Linden, MI
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
My fear is that if they draft Stafford first overall, the Lions will feel that they have to "support" their "franchise" player by getting him some supporting players on the offense, and once again the Lions will completely ignore their defense.

In my eyes, if the Lions take Stafford, it is once again a case of the Ford Family getting involved where they should NOT.


Lets hope that if they do take Stafford, which won't bother me, they do not confirm your fears on the rest of the high picks.

I'm hoping for Larunitis, a DT or a LDE at 20. I'd settle for a CB there as well.

Ideally:

1-1 Stafford / Monroe

1-20 P. Jerry / Hood

2-1 Larunitis or Gilbert

3-1 Urbik or Levitre

3-20 BPA they need everything.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


April 15th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: March 30th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Posts: 182
Post 
jrd66 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
My fear is that if they draft Stafford first overall, the Lions will feel that they have to "support" their "franchise" player by getting him some supporting players on the offense, and once again the Lions will completely ignore their defense.

In my eyes, if the Lions take Stafford, it is once again a case of the Ford Family getting involved where they should NOT.


Lets hope that if they do take Stafford, which won't bother me, they do not confirm your fears on the rest of the high picks.

I'm hoping for Larunitis, a DT or a LDE at 20. I'd settle for a CB there as well.

Ideally:

1-1 Stafford / Monroe

1-20 P. Jerry / Hood

2-1 Larunitis or Gilbert

3-1 Urbik or Levitre

3-20 BPA they need everything.


Honestly, I hope you're both wrong. I don't want Stafford, but if they do grab him, and are on the hook to pay him obnoxious sums of money for a long time, then I really hope they try their hardest to surround him with enough talent to give him the best chance to succeed.

We already have invested in our defense this offseason: we replaced the inept coaching of Moronelli and son in law with guys like Schwartz and Gunther, which I think alone is worth 4 wins and maybe a 10 spot jump in our defensive rankings. We still have young guys who may yet improve under our new staff like IAF, Avril, Fluellen and Cohen. We've also added veteran depth with FA acquisitions Jackson, Buchanon and King and upgraded (imo) by trading nothing we couldn't afford to lose for Peterson and Henry.

They draft Stafford I'd be perfectly fine with:
Rd 1b)- Oher or Pettigrew
Rd 2)- Unger or Mack (give your franchise QB a potential franchise center to pair with)
Rd 3a) Robinson or other top rated OG/LT (if you don't get Oher in the 1st round, otherwise start drafting the defense here)
Rd 3b) McKillops, and use the rest of this years picks on defense and hope the thing holds together until you can draft some more talent to plug the holes next year.

I just don't see the point of making such a substantial investment on such a fragile position like QB if you aren't going to dedicate to supporting him the best you can. No point in sitting a guy a year, only to put him in behind a subpar line next season or have to draft OL and ending up with your #1 overall QB being protected by a bunch of rookies. Take Stafford and I think you have to commit to building the offense around him.


April 16th, 2009, 12:51 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
jrd66 wrote:
Lets hope that if they do take Stafford, which won't bother me, they do not confirm your fears on the rest of the high picks.

I'm hoping for Larunitis, a DT or a LDE at 20. I'd settle for a CB there as well.


Way too high for Laurinaitis at #20. The only DT of value at #20 is Peria Jerry, and he's not the "big" style DE that Schwartz likes. Hood at 20 is sort of a reach....if the Lions could trade back about four or five spots and still nab him, I'd be OK with that. If Hood is on the board when Indy picks, they take him. No DE of value will be there at #20, and neither will Maualuga for those of you who think he will be. He's long gone by then.

jrd66 wrote:
Ideally:

1-1 Stafford / Monroe

1-20 P. Jerry / Hood

2-1 Larunitis or Gilbert

3-1 Urbik or Levitre

3-20 BPA they need everything.


Monroe preferrable to Stafford.
Trade down and take Hood.
If you take Hood, no need for Gilbert, and I'm losing my interest in Laurinaitis. Solid football guy, but lacks the athleticism I want to see in the NFL. Thin legs, which means high center of gravity, which means more difficulty taking on blocks.
Urbik over Levitre. Levitre is a technician, like Raiola. Undersized. Not interested.

CalvintheBeast wrote:
Honestly, I hope you're both wrong. I don't want Stafford, but if they do grab him, and are on the hook to pay him obnoxious sums of money for a long time, then I really hope they try their hardest to surround him with enough talent to give him the best chance to succeed.

We already have invested in our defense this offseason: we replaced the inept coaching of Moronelli and son in law with guys like Schwartz and Gunther, which I think alone is worth 4 wins and maybe a 10 spot jump in our defensive rankings. We still have young guys who may yet improve under our new staff like IAF, Avril, Fluellen and Cohen. We've also added veteran depth with FA acquisitions Jackson, Buchanon and King and upgraded (imo) by trading nothing we couldn't afford to lose for Peterson and Henry.


This is the same type of thinking as the old regime Calvin. Picking up a FA or two isn't addressing the defense, it's filling holes. Anthony Henry is a backup on any other team, or moves to free safety, where we have a logjam of people. Julian Peterson is a solid pickup, but he alone doesn't make the defense even mediocre. Grady Jackson is a two down DT.

I think Avril and Fluellen could emerge. I'm not sold on Cohen, and I think IAF was a big reach and mistake. He is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE or a DT. He has no place on this team.

King is a backup player and special teamer...big deal. Buchanon is a #2. If we had kept Leigh Bodden, I would have felt much better about this team. We have no top flight CB.

We still don't have a MLB, need another DE (all around-Avril is strictly a pass rusher) and perhaps another DT (Darby is garbage). Devries can come in on third downs at DT to help collapse the pocket in place of Jackson. We are also lacking a starting SS. Alexander and Bullocks are strictly free safeties. Kalvin Pearson is a backup and special teamer. We should bring back Greg Blue, who showed a knack for playing well in the limited time he was given by Marinelli's inept son-in-law.

We have far more holes on defense than offense.

CalvintheBeast wrote:
They draft Stafford I'd be perfectly fine with:
Rd 1b)- Oher or Pettigrew
Rd 2)- Unger or Mack (give your franchise QB a potential franchise center to pair with)
Rd 3a) Robinson or other top rated OG/LT (if you don't get Oher in the 1st round, otherwise start drafting the defense here)
Rd 3b) McKillops, and use the rest of this years picks on defense and hope the thing holds together until you can draft some more talent to plug the holes next year.

I just don't see the point of making such a substantial investment on such a fragile position like QB if you aren't going to dedicate to supporting him the best you can. No point in sitting a guy a year, only to put him in behind a subpar line next season or have to draft OL and ending up with your #1 overall QB being protected by a bunch of rookies. Take Stafford and I think you have to commit to building the offense around him.


Here's the thing Calvin. IF the Lions draft Stafford this year, does he play? Hopefully, no. Hopefully Culpepper stays healthy and is able to play the year and allow Stafford to learn. In the meantime, you strengthen the side of the ball that was the worst...defense.

IF the Lions draft Stafford and then find it necessary to follow up that pick with a number of offensive selections to "support" your new franchise guy, then you haven't just used one pick on him, you've used several. And THAT is why I don't want them to take Stafford, and that is why I feel he is NOT worth that pick.

A number one overall pick shouldn't require the use of other picks to support him and make him feel all warm and fuzzy. Enough investment has already been made in him individually. To build up the offensive line, skill position, etc. around him due to his selection is a waste.

I know that the Lions have to address their offensive line anyways. I know they have little to no depth at receiver and have no quality TE. But if those picks are made in this draft AFTER drafting Stafford, they are picks made for the wrong reasons and send the wrong message. Those picks will be made as an extension of the Stafford selection, and you are thereby putting all your eggs in that one basket.

We can build up our defense with future drafts, that's true. But the best way to build a franchise is not QB first, and then address other needs. The only way I would endorse the pick of Stafford is if he WAS the top overall talent available. He is not....and I've not heard one draft analyst or coach say differently.


April 16th, 2009, 8:34 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.