View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's assume Stafford is the pick, what's your board @20? 
Rookie Player of the Year

If they take Stafford (still praying for a trade partner) I'd look to trade that #20 pick. Try to get an early 2nd rounder this year and 2nd rounder next year along with a 4th round pick. Or a mid to late 2nd rounder this year along with a 1st rounder next year if a team is looking to get back into the 1st round. If it's a team drafting after Detroit then take their 1st rounder along with a 2nd and 4th rounder or the 1st rounder this and next year along with a 5th round pick.

If Freeman makes it past the Jets and Bucs there could be teams that missed out on Stafford and Sanchez looking to move back into the 1st round to get him before a team like the Vikings can draft him. There has also been buzz with NE, Miami, and Baltimore all being extremely high on Butler. Making that #20 pick a nice spot to ensure one of them getting him before the others if he's still on the board. I'd like Detroit to get Butler but I'd take the extra picks instead. The Giants could look to get a WR if they don't land Edwards. While a team like Arizona could try to get Cushing, Matthews Jr., or even Moreno if they are still on the board.

April 16th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Junior Varsity

at 20 I would take Pettigrew ( helps passing and running game) or the center Mack.

April 16th, 2009, 10:26 pm
Team MVP

Do some of you guys REALLY think Maualuga will fall to 20? I highly doubt he will but if he does, we BETTER take him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 16th, 2009, 11:45 pm
National Champion

A month ago, I was 50/50, which was pretty optimistic. Now, I'd say there is maybe a 15% chance, because he looked healthy at his pro day and reassured people he was healthy.

There are some other angles to this, too. There are big boards now that have Maualuga rated lower than Matthews and Cushing (where this wasn't the case for the past year). That raises our chances slightly, just because it means that for BPA drafting teams, thats two more chances for him to slide.

Also, while he appears to be the top rated MLB, some teams view Curry as a MLB or ILB for a 3-4, which could knock Maualuga down a little bit, too. That depends on where Curry falls (doubtful that KC passes on him).

At this point, I'd say it is a long shot. It depends on what Denver and San Diego does (they are the two main teams Mauluga projects at besides us).

If Denver takes a QB, the chances go up.

If San Diego takes a DE (to replace Olshansky), the chances go up.

1st round is semi-predictable just because teams tend to need draft with their first pick. The rest usually goes pretty close to BPA which is harder to predict because each team has a different big board with different grades. Anyways, because of the need drafting early, this tells us that there is a chance we could have Maualuga, but probably a pretty small chance at this point.

PS: Also, there is the "supposed" list of positive drug testee's which, if true, could totally throw the recent mocks right out the window. I'm thinking that is probably mostly false, but it is still out there for the moment. That could affect things, too.

April 17th, 2009, 7:03 am
Div 1 - Starter

At this point, I'd say [Maualuga dropping to #20] is a long shot. It depends on what Denver and San Diego does (they are the two main teams Mauluga projects at besides us).

That is what I keep thinking, too. Good players always drop as Donte Witners always come out of nowhere. With this in mind, my board if Stafford is the first pick:

1. Jenkins
2. Maualuga
3. Oher (groan, I hate taking offense with both firsts)
4. Vontae Davis

That's it. That's the list. If all of these guys are taken before #20, I will be surprised and very disappointed, though not as irate as I was when my man-crush Derrick Johnson "fell" to us and we still made a stupid pick: Mike Williams.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 17th, 2009, 10:01 am
Junior Varsity

Last edited by CalvintheBeast on April 24th, 2009, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 17th, 2009, 3:51 pm
RIP Killer

... Once again, where was that the point of this particular thread or my above quoted posts? I'd rather go Curry #1 and build defense. IF the pick is Stafford though, I don't want to hang the kid out to dry and hope he busts out in the next 3 years. I want them to dedicate their resources to supporting him and making him into a guy who can lead this franchise deep into the playoffs for many years to come.

Calvin, you need to get a grip. I don't know why you're spitting all this venom at me simply because I posted my thoughts regarding what you had to say. THIS IS A FORUM, IT'S WHAT WE DO HERE.

My point was (which you so avoided so well) is that IF we take Stafford, by your strategy we end up spending additional picks to support him, even though he isn't likely to play this year. INSTEAD we could take defense and address THAT side of the ball first. Even if we do take Stafford this season, we don't HAVE to dedicate further picks to the offense, because we could likewise do that in the coming drafts. Our defensive needs, despite our off-season acquisitions, continue to outweigh our offensive needs.

If you can't understand that, then you obviously haven't been paying attention. You want to put that kid into a position to succeed? Then give him a defense that doesn't give up 30 points per game and force him to throw the ball 50 times to try and win. Building our defense would take pressure off him to win every game by himself. Or is that too difficult for you to understand?

April 17th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Why do so many people think it's okay to just keep ignoring the defense every year?

April 17th, 2009, 8:24 pm
RIP Killer

Again, I ask the question following M2K

Why do so many people think it's okay to just keep ignoring the defense every year?

Buddy, I wish I knew the answer to that. It isn't necessarily that I want the Lions to spend every single pick on defense. In my opinion, if they simply go BPA with each one of their top five picks, they'll likely end up with defensive players with at least three of them, possibly the first three.

I simply don't support the notion that IF the Lions take Stafford (ESPN reported that Tom Condon was in Allen Park today, so that could very well signal Stafford's negotiations moving forward), the plan is to firmly plant him on the bench and let him learn for a year. That's fine by me. Then BUILD THE DEFENSE so next season when he plays he won't have a suckass defense giving the opposition a three TD spot before the coin flip is even done to start the game. In the same way that defensive players will be available next season, so will supporting offensive players. Schwartz is a defensive guru, GO GET YOUR GUYS now so they know the defense intricately next season and have a year to gel together into a cohesive unit.

That's my opinion, anyway.

April 17th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I saw a mock today that had the Lions taking Knowshon Moreno at #20. I've thought of that option when you consider the scenario that Mike Valenti on The Ticket advocates. He says that if you take Stafford you have to get him some help on the offensive side of the football, playmaking, skill position guys. I can't imagine them taking another WR with Calvin (that draft strategy didn't work), TE's have been so underutilized in our offense for years that I don't see Brandon Pettigrew being the BPA. Moreno would step in and be a good one two punch at RB that is so en vouge in the NFL now. I just have problems addressing the Offense with the first two picks instead of the Defense which was wretched this year.

April 22nd, 2009, 8:26 pm
Stadium Announcer

Not a chance after the Morris aquisition.

This would make me ill. (As if Stafford wasn't enough)

April 22nd, 2009, 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I saw a mock today that had the Lions taking Knowshon Moreno at #20. I've thought of that option when you consider the scenario that Mike Valenti on The Ticket advocates. He says that if you take Stafford you have to get him some help on the offensive side of the football, playmaking, skill position guys. I can't imagine them taking another WR with Calvin (that draft strategy didn't work), TE's have been so underutilized in our offense for years that I don't see Brandon Pettigrew being the BPA. Moreno would step in and be a good one two punch at RB that is so en vouge in the NFL now. I just have problems addressing the Offense with the first two picks instead of the Defense which was wretched this year.

Didn't the Lions already go that route? Get Harrington, follow with receivers, Kevin Jones....what did it get us?

Were our tight ends underutilized, or did we never get any that were able to be utilized? Who was the last tight end the Lions drafted that stayed on the roster? I like Casey Fitzsimmons, but he's not near to being a solid starting TE. Dan Campbell was an injury looking for a body part to happen, and Mickael Ricks? Stephen Alexander was garbage as well. That's all our recent memory guys.

The last tight end drafted by the Lions was in 2002. We took two, John Owens (a pure blocker) in the fifth round and Matt Murphy in the seventh. Not exactly what I call making the TE a priority. We have to go all the way back to 1995 to find a TE drafted in the first day by the Lions, David Sloan. He had a promising start, but injuries made him less than good. I consider him a semi-bust. He had the talent and was able to showcase it when he played. But he didn't play enough. Pettigrew would be beneficial to both the running game, the passing game and as an additional pass blocker. He would definitely be one of the top players, if not THE top player, on just about every teams draft board at #20. And I guarantee that if Knowshon is off the board already, Philly takes Pettigrew at #21.

All that being said, taking Moreno would be ASSANINE. Kevin Smith and Maurice Morris are a decent one-two punch. You want to protect that QB and give him a friendly weapon? You draft offensive line, and you get him a good receiving tight end who has some blocking skills. That's IF you think that rookie QB is going to be starting for you by mid-season THIS YEAR. If not, shore up the defense and get the support players for the offense next year. Give that rookie QB confidence by not forcing him to try and come from behind every week and win the game for the team.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:23 pm
RIP Killer

No chance. RB's value is MUCH better in the later rounds anyways.

April 22nd, 2009, 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Lions stay busy as they await Matthew Stafford's decision
by Tom Kowalski
Friday April 24, 2009, 11:49 AM
The Detroit Lions are staying very busy today while they await a decision from Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford who, if he agrees to contract terms with the team, will become the Lions' first overall draft pick. The Lions' organization -- front office, scouting department and coaching staff -- is going through a series of mock drafts today.

The Lions hold all the cards with the top overall choice, but they go through many different scenarios to see who might be available to them with the other picks, including the 20th, 33rd, 65th and 82nd. Lions owner William Clay Ford, as is his custom, will be in the draft room when these debates are going on. The Lions will not only go through each team's needs and projections, but will also try to anticipate which trades might go down -- and at what point the Lions might be interested in making a deal.

Much of the discussion will center on who the Lions will consider at each of their draft positions and they'll finalize their "wish list'' at those spots. Most of the debate has already been done, but the Lions will go over it one more time to make sure they've covered all of their bases.

The Lions have agreed to contract terms with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and have informed him he will be the team's No. 1 pick if Stafford doesn't sign with Detroit. Stafford's agent, Tom Condon, is expected to weigh all of his options before deciding whether to agree to a deal.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has been adamant that the team wants to get its draft pick signed before the draft, which begins at 4 p.m. Saturday. Because of paperwork issues and the fact the Lions will want the contract to be approved by the league before the draft starts, the Lions have indicated they want a deal done by today. It's possible that talks could linger into Saturday morning, but the Lions don't want to cut it too close.

How friggin' cool would it be to spend all day today as a fly on the wall of that room?! (For one, I had to make myself a voiceless fly because otherwise, I'd be shouting and carrying on all day. In fact, I might become the first fly to speak regardless).

This article made me start thinking about what might it take for the Lions to ensure that they get Maualuga after taking Stafford. M2K and I both surmised that DEN and SD might be interested in him. Depending on who is available to DEN at 12, this might mean a slight trade up to assure that we get our man. Obviously, you have to take into consideration how much more you like Maualuga over Laurenitis and whether you think Laurenitis will make it through 24-32 to 33 (I do not, and Billy seems sure that PIT would take him).

Could we trade the extra third rounder to make sure we get Maualuga? It definitely might appease some of the growing throng of angry Curry (help the defense NOW!!) supporters.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 24th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Extra 3rd rounder to move from 20 to 11? Wont happen if that is how far we have to go to hop denver.

Even though MLB is a need, we need players. IMO we cant afford to trade away any pick in the top 3 rounds (where starters are found). Even if that means watching someone take Mauluga at 18.

April 24th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next