View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Lions Want it Known They Are Negotiating with Curry 
National Champion

Post Lions Want it Known They Are Negotiating with Curry
Quote:
Lions want it known they are negotiating with Curry

April 18, 2009 11:03 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Curry

Hi there. Hope you've had an outstanding Saturday evening. Just wanted to pass along the big news out of Detroit's minicamp on Saturday: Multiple media outlets noticed the agents for Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry in attendance at practice.

The Lions have said they would enter negotiations with multiple candidates for the No. 1 overall pick with the goal of having one signed before the April 25 draft begins. Curry is one of three primary contenders, along with former Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and former Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith.

There really is only one thing to conclude: The Lions wanted the agents -- Andy Ross and Michael Sullivan -- to be seen. Ross and Sullivan could have met with team president Tom Lewand most anywhere in the Lions' facility and enjoyed relative privacy. Taking them out to the practice field, where the media was watching minicamp, almost certainly wasn't an oversight.

So why would the Lions want it known they were meeting with Curry's agents? One possibility is they want the CAA agency -- which represents both Stafford and Smith -- to believe they are serious about considering multiple options. The possibility of drafting Curry is the best leverage the Lions have in negotiations with Stafford, especially.

We should talk later this week about Stafford and Smith having the same representation and how that is impacting negotiations. But for now, I think it's safe to say that talks are heating up.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Why not parade the other agents around?

April 19th, 2009, 10:58 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I think it was ploy to get into Condon's head as well as dangle Curry out there for teams that are after him. I also think out of all the prospects, they have the most bargaining power with Curry and Stafford. The difference between what a LB would get at #1 and at #3 or even lower if the Chiefs did pass on Curry would be huge. As for Stafford if the Lions pass on him and the Seahawks were to choose Sanchez he could hit a Rodgers and Quinn like freefall. The Lions can give each of them a reasonable offer and say there it is, take it or expect a lot less from other teams. It's not as easy with Monroe and Smith with both virtual locks for the top five.

April 19th, 2009, 11:45 am
National Champion

This article from PFT runs along the same topic of this thread.

Quote:
Lions Holding Cards Close To The Vest
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 19, 2009, 3:13 p.m. EDT
In an apparent attempt to mask their intentions for what they’re going to do with the top overall pick and try to drive down the price that they’ll ultimately pay for that player, the Detroit Lions are being extremely secretive during their meetings with agents.

According to Steve Wyche of NFL.com, the Lions didn’t offer any hints at what they’re going to do with the No. 1 pick during a Saturday sit-down with Michael Sullivan and Andy Ross, the agents for Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry.

The meeting raises a question: Would Curry’s representatives give the Lions some kind of discount to ensure that he’ll be the No. 1 pick?

Several draft analysts have been drawing conclusions that Curry’s stock might be slipping a bit because he doesn’t play a premium position and Curry isn’t a pass-rushing linebacker.

Curry is regarded as a classic all-around linebacker and wasn’t asked to rush the passer much at Wake Forest.

Per the report, the Lions also plan to hold meetings with Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, the agents for University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith early this week.

We’ve heard that Stafford is extremely confident that he’ll ultimately be the No. 1 pick and has been telling former Georgia teammates that he expects to receive a contract with nearly $40 million in guaranteed money.

Of course, it will be nearly impossible for the Lions to use Smith as leverage against Stafford since they have the same agents.

So, the gamesmanship continues as the NFL Draft approaches.

It appears that they are trying to bring down Staffords overall contract. That's what I see when I look through all of the smoke and mirrors of the last week or two.

April 19th, 2009, 3:35 pm
NFL Veteran

Why does everybody conclude that this is automatically a smokescreen to mask their intentions, or a ploy to try to get a trade or drive down asking prices? And it's automatically assumed that interest in Curry is not genuine?

What have the Lions done to betray their love for Stafford? This is like the The Emperor's New Clothes IMO. Where everyone and their mother is convinced there's something that really isn't there. Why isn't it a plausible idea that they are genuinely interested in making Curry a Lion?

It makes me wish he were the pick even more so all these 'experts' end up with egg in their faces.

April 19th, 2009, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Time will tell, won't it HB? :) This should be an exciting week. I guess it's the fact that even though they were holding camp on the same days that the top agents came in, one set met behind closed doors and the other set was paraded in front of the media for everyone and their mother to see. I don't quite think you could go as far as egg in the face (I'd save those for draft busts) but I'll give you a gold star if you're right, how about that!? :p

April 19th, 2009, 5:07 pm
Heisman Winner

Why does everybody conclude that this is automatically a smokescreen to mask their intentions, or a ploy to try to get a trade or drive down asking prices? And it's automatically assumed that interest in Curry is not genuine?

What have the Lions done to betray their love for Stafford? This is like the The Emperor's New Clothes IMO. Where everyone and their mother is convinced there's something that really isn't there. Why isn't it a plausible idea that they are genuinely interested in making Curry a Lion?

It makes me wish he were the pick even more so all these 'experts' end up with egg in their faces.

I wouldn't say that it's an automatic conclusion but if you follow the crumbs of evidence, the article seems to be spot on IMO.

What I honestly think is that the Lions are genuinely content to take Curry or Smith if Stafford doesn't play contract ball with them. That would be the best case scenario for the Curry hopefuls such as myself.

April 19th, 2009, 5:21 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am with HB. It can get crazy as the draft approaches tryingg to surmise why a team is doing what itas doing..

but if all of these articles are right, and this was a show, then either:

1) Schwartz and FO are not as smart as people thought didnt realize that everyone would see through their charade for what it was, bring down staffords price

2) They are that Smart, realized how the Media and everyone would react (seems obvious to me) and Did it anyways to cause confusion, meaning it is less likely that is it only for show to drive down staffords price

3) They are actually interested in Curry also and would consider him, based on the price he negotiates , as an alternative... even if their 1st choice was Stafford but he wants too much money.
(Most likely IMO)
------

So what is it people. is Schwartz/FO too dumb to realize EVERYONE would see right through their ploy.. or is it a Ploy within a Ploy.... Or could it be real interest.

I highly doubt it is #1 which is what all of these articles would lead you to believe.. thefore I am thinking that the FO has the media exactly where they want them.. thinking they are dumb and obvious and that the media can read the tea leaves.... meanwhile the FO is left alone to continue negotiating with Multiple options to find what is best for the Team.

April 19th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

With your reasoning, you set yourself up to try and be correct regardless of the outcome. If they choose Curry, of course then this all would be meaningless and you of course would be correct. If they choose anyone else, then they just did their due dilligence and went with the best deal.

This is something that we'll never know, and I just happen to think it's weird that they barter with one agent in front of everyone and didn't with the other.

Of course, it could all be nothing, but this isn't something that has been widely reported, so your number 2 solution probably isn't going to fit the bill, either.

I do think #3 is very much a possibility, but to justify picking him, your going to be talking about a decline in pay for the number 1 pick, which has never, ever happened (either that or making him the highest LB in the league and then some, and then some more).

I'm sorry, but to me, anything anti-Curry going to the Lions has been flamed by the same crowd here lately and that doesn't mean your being subjective, it just means you are sticking to your guns.

I'm not advocating any pick yet, I'm still stuck, but I just don't see Curry coming here without some history being made first, and that is very unlikely to happen.

They have no other way to drive down Staffords price than to appear they are interested in another person... It's the only way, and that person cannot be J. Smith since he's repped by the same agency. Sure it probably isn't going to seem legit, but they don't have another option. I'm sorry, but I still think it's #1 on your list.

April 19th, 2009, 9:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Dont get me wrong. I would prefer Curry. But my post was not biased towards WHO they will pick.. at all. It was totally regardless of whot hey pick really. it was about the way they were acting about the "negotuiations"a nd the way the media reacted to it. whether it was being played up.. it was an accidental tip.. etc.

I really personally believe only #2 is a plausible explanation. but a Double ploy makes more sense than #1 - that the FO wouldnt realize that it would look different and weird and that the media wouldnt pick up on it. They would have to be dumber than Millen to not realize how this would be veiwed.. maning it really was either:

#2 - Intentionally set up to look this way, then not overemphasized since that could give away that it was a set up...

Or much more likely #3 - that they dont care how the media views it/are olaying with the media (but not in depth like a ploy) , and that they are negotiating with all the players regardless.

To pretend like after all this planning and playing cards close to the vest that the FO wouldnt realize that this info would get to the media and be reported is silly. But if they tried to make it blatant , that too would be obvious.

Main point. The FO is getting exactly what they want out of this. NOBODY , including the Players, Agents, Fans, Other Teams, Media , has any fudge clue what the Lions FO is planning to do. It is a nice feeling.

April 19th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
National Champion

You're right, nobody has a clue what is going on for sure. No doubt about that. But I'm not saying that the FO is trying to play with the media. I'm saying they're trying to play with Stafford's (and even Smith's) agents. They have absolutely no other way of driving down their offers other than talking to someone else. Why wouldn't they just meet with his agents in private like they did with every other prospect they've seen. Why do things differently with this guy, this time? Sure it could just be chance, but I tend to think that people do things for a reason.

If anything, they are using the media as a big giant megaphone saying HEY WE ARE HERE WITH CURRY'S AGENT(S), IF YOU ARE SERIOUS, YOU'D BETTER QUIT JOKING AROUND ABOUT 40 MILLION GUARANTEED. They are using the media, not trying to trick them.

I'd love to see them make history and come out with a 30 mil guaranteed contract for Curry, because that would make it ok financially and we'd have the best player in the draft... but it's a pipe dream at this point, and almost all analysts and mockers will tell you that. There's a better chance of trading down than that happening, and we all know the odds of us trading down from #1.

April 19th, 2009, 9:40 pm
National Champion

Despite reports that agent Tom Condon, who represents both Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and Baylor tackle Jason Smith, won’t meet with the Lions until early this week, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that Condon was in Detroit on Friday.

It’s unknown whether he was there on behalf of Stafford or Smith. Or both.

Though there have been strong indications that Stafford will be the Lions’ pick, the Lions are at a minimum playing the “signability” game, talking to multiple players in the hopes of getting one of them to sign the most favorable possible deal.

In fact, we’ve been hearing that the Lions have agreements in principle with multiple potential No. 1 overall picks, if the Lions ultimately decide to choose that specific player.

It all strikes us as a tool to leverage the best possible deal from Stafford, who has been telling some of his former Georgia teammates that he’s the guy. Still, in the end, it’s going to take a lot of money to get Stafford under contract.

The reality is that Smith could be had for a lot less, and that it’s in Smith’s best interests for his agent to be undercutting the demands that Stafford’s agent is making.

Since both agents are the same guy, don’t count on that happening

It appears that Condon may still be meeting with them in the next day or two, so we should find out a little more information in the next 48 hours. We should know who the pick is a few days before the draft.

Anyways, just wanted to say that it is a possibility that Condon just came to Detroit for a few days before his meeting with them, since it's possible he could have something set up for the next day or two.

April 19th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Walk On

Nobody comes to Detroit who has a choice... j/k.

As we try to decipher what is or is not misdirection, I can't help but wonder- Is there more to what we aren't hearing than what we are?

Curry is being put out there for all to see. There are more leaks than a sinking ship about Stafford being a virtual lock. We've even seen reports that the Lions moved Sanchez ahead of Stafford after his workout. Is this completely fabricated? Or is it by design.

We've allegedly brought in Freeman, Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith, and even Raji. Presumably all have been in an attempt to evaluate possibilities for the number one pick, or a possible free fall to #20.

Even the 20 pick, we've brought in: Pettigrew, Maclin, Boldin, Hood, and possibly others. Yet all of the talk and public display is seemingly focused on Stafford and Curry, some on Smith.

Are we being duped? Or is the steady stream of leaks evidence of our sinking vessel?

-ILMP

April 19th, 2009, 10:22 pm
National Champion

I guess we have to read the title literally and think of other possible meanings too... For example, maybe the Lions want fans to see that they are negotiating with Curry. It doesn't label it down to one group, just that they want it known.

There certainly is a building momentum for Curry and so far I don't think he can be upset with himself or his agent about putting themselves in the best position possible. They've done a great job thus far.

April 20th, 2009, 12:06 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I guess we have to read the title literally and think of other possible meanings too... For example, maybe the Lions want fans to see that they are negotiating with Curry. It doesn't label it down to one group, just that they want it known.

There certainly is a building momentum for Curry and so far I don't think he can be upset with himself or his agent about putting themselves in the best position possible. They've done a great job thus far.

Exactly... Curry would undoubtedly be the pick if we had a rookie salary cap. With the cost of #1 these days you have to take a premium position in order for it to be worth the money. You could take any player and only have to guarantee him $5 mill you would take Curry because he's the BPA.

April 20th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]