View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Draft day trades 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Draft day trades
Hoping for multiple trades backwards on d-day. I think a strong possibility exists at the top of the 2nd as well as the 1st pick on day 2. Am also wondering if any of the current roster may be put into play for a trade next weekend. If the Lions want to get more size on defense then maybe they will try to move a player or two of value that doesn't fit. LB's Sims, Dizon and Lewis, and DT Darby. I realize of this bunch only Sims has very much value. Teams that are in need of a starting WS LB might be willing to give a high pick or two. Tampa Bay, Raiders, Colts and Giants are teams that are in reported need of WS LB's. Any Opinions?

April 19th, 2009, 11:59 am
Walk On

I'm not sure how to feel about the possibility of trade down scenarios. I personally like many of our draft slots.

If you look at #20, it seems to be at the tail end of a stretch of pretty solid talent. If we stick put at 20, someone is likely to fall to us. If we trade back, it seems like we are falling into the next tier of talent.

Again with the 33 pick, there is the likelihood of first round talent escaping to us there. It seems reasonable to trade back a few spots, since we just picked at 20. But a 33 pick is essentially like the last pick of the first round and I'd like to keep it.

When it comes to 3a and 3b, I like it even less. The third round is where I draw an imaginary line. There is still some decent talent in there, but dropping back to 4th and later yields some very long odds.

It may make sense in terms of value, but we already have many picks, and good ones. Trading back dilutes the level of talent for each pick, and we need talent more than bodies. Our roster is full of marginal quality players; let's get more talent at a few spots, rather than more depth at many spots.

Ultimately it boils down to talent tiers, and where the divisions fall. Only the Lions know where those tiers are, based on their own scouting.

-ILMP

April 19th, 2009, 1:51 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not sure how to feel about the possibility of trade down scenarios. I personally like many of our draft slots.

If you look at #20, it seems to be at the tail end of a stretch of pretty solid talent. If we stick put at 20, someone is likely to fall to us. If we trade back, it seems like we are falling into the next tier of talent.

Again with the 33 pick, there is the likelihood of first round talent escaping to us there. It seems reasonable to trade back a few spots, since we just picked at 20. But a 33 pick is essentially like the last pick of the first round and I'd like to keep it.

When it comes to 3a and 3b, I like it even less. The third round is where I draw an imaginary line. There is still some decent talent in there, but dropping back to 4th and later yields some very long odds.

It may make sense in terms of value, but we already have many picks, and good ones. Trading back dilutes the level of talent for each pick, and we need talent more than bodies. Our roster is full of marginal quality players; let's get more talent at a few spots, rather than more depth at many spots.

Ultimately it boils down to talent tiers, and where the divisions fall. Only the Lions know where those tiers are, based on their own scouting.

-ILMP

Good points. I would say the only way we should trade back is if we only move a few spots, pick up a mid-round pick, and are confident we can still land the player that is targeted. As it stands, I think we are in good spots to pick up some good prospects and trading down would be questionable in the first three rounds.

April 19th, 2009, 2:08 pm
Walk On

I agree with that. If a few spots is still in the same talent tier on the Lions board, and we can pick up mid-round selection, go for it. That is the key, IMO. Packaging late round picks to move back only a few slots doesn't work for me. Keep the pick, because the extra 6th rounder is just another guy you're going to have to cut, most likely.

-ILMP

April 19th, 2009, 2:20 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm leaning towards giving up that #20 if they can land at least a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year. The defensive help in next year's draft could be huge if the players available can live up to the hype. DT, DE, and LB all look like they are loaded with talent not to mention some LTs that could end up better than the group this year.

April 19th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Hall of Fame Player

If we don't pick Curry at #1 AND Cushing and Maualuga and Jerry are gone before #20:

I think we should trade down with New England and pick up an extra 2nd rounder this year.

Then we should pick Lauranitis with New Englands 1st rounder because He claims that Pittsburg has told him," I hope you fall to #32. You will look good in a Steelers Uniform".

So, he won't be there at #33 as our fall back option.

April 20th, 2009, 11:47 pm
National Champion

On the positive side, reading the silver lining, if what you say about Laurinitis is true, then we'll have had the best interior offensive linemen slip to us at the top of round 2.

Just trying to see this glass half full this morning :p

April 21st, 2009, 6:03 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Mayhew has already said he's open to trading back. We need the extra picks. If the players are gone when our picks come up at 20, 33 and 65 he will be open to move back. From what I have read and heard analyst say, this years draft is considered " middle heavy." I assume that means the more picks we have in 3 thru 5 the better.

April 21st, 2009, 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]