View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 All time draft classes 
Stadium Announcer

Post All time draft classes
Last night on the NFL network, they aired the top 10 draft classes of all time. I found it interesting that these drafts produced big names at times, hall of famers here and there, but more than anything produced STARTERS!

Coaches and GMs alike were praising front offices that found immediate starters in each round. Lineman, serviceable receivers, return men, secondary from round 1 through round 12 (I know).

NONE of the top 10 draft classes were praised for selecting a project and grooming them.

Programs like Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fransisco, and Chicago were given the glory for turning a franchise from a debacle into a beast with ONE draft.

Every pick, from Curry at 1 on down, needs to contribute to this organization immediately.

Bottom Line.

April 24th, 2009, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Every pick, from Curry at 1 on down, needs to contribute to this organization immediately.

Why?

If I tell you that I'll either:

A) Give you $1 today.

or

B) Give you $10 three days from now

Which would you chose?

April 24th, 2009, 8:14 am
Stadium Announcer

April 24th, 2009, 8:17 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Post Re: All time draft classes
GridIronHeroes wrote:
Last night on the NFL network, they aired the top 10 draft classes of all time. I found it interesting that these drafts produced big names at times, hall of famers here and there, but more than anything produced STARTERS!

Coaches and GMs alike were praising front offices that found immediate starters in each round. Lineman, serviceable receivers, return men, secondary from round 1 through round 12 (I know).

NONE of the top 10 draft classes were praised for selecting a project and grooming them.

Programs like Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fransisco, and Chicago were given the glory for turning a franchise from a debacle into a beast with ONE draft.

Bottom Line.

No that's not the bottom line. I've said this in other threads as well, but I'll repeat it here. If whoever the pick is turns out to be a great player, then he's the right pick. If he's not a great player, then he's the wrong pick. That's the bottom line. Whether or not he produces in year 1 is irrelevant. What he does over 3, 5, 10 years is the bottom line. So if Stafford is the pick, and he sits for 1 or 2 years, but then becomes a great QB, that was the right choice. But if he fails, he's the wrong pick. Same goes for Curry. If he is the pick and turns out to be one of the top 2 or 3 best MLBs in the league over the next 3, 5, 10 years, then he was the right pick. If not, wrong. I couldn't care less what Curry, Stafford, or whoever does in this next season. I care about turning this franchise around, and that doesn't happen in one year. Sure there are exceptions, but this team is bereft of talent and isn't going to have a miracle turn around. It's going to take a few years.

I think of it like this: Let's say Stafford is the pick, and he sits for a year or two. During that time, the FO concentrates on shoring up the D and building a solid O-line. Then in a year or 2 when Stafford takes over, he'll have a decent team built around him and won't be subject to the beating he'll likely take if he has to step in right away. Isn't that exactly what many on here are advocating? Building up the team first, and then getting the "franchise" QB at that point? It makes sense to me.

Now, all that being said, I'm not advocating Stafford. I don't know if he's going to be good or not. I also don't know if Curry is going to be a stud or not. I've read a bunch of info on both guys, enough to know that some love Stafford and others don't. I've also seen where people have said that Curry isn't as good as Mayo or Willis, and if he was entering the draft the years they were drafted, he wouldn't even be the top LB taken. Others say he's the greatest LB since LT. So, I don't know.

As I've said many times before, I think anyone who claims to know that (insert draft pick name here) is going to be stud/bust is full of crap. None of us know for sure. There are feasible scenarios with Stafford, Curry, and Monroe/Smith as the top pick that work out well, and there are bust scenarios with each too. It's going to be interesting, at the very least.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

April 24th, 2009, 11:27 am
Div 1 - Starter

How badly do I need a dollar?

Love it. Irrefutably logical question.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 24th, 2009, 12:12 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I think of it like this: Let's say Stafford is the pick, and he sits for a year or two. During that time, the FO concentrates on shoring up the D and building a solid O-line. Then in a year or 2 when Stafford takes over, he'll have a decent team built around him and won't be subject to the beating he'll likely take if he has to step in right away. Isn't that exactly what many on here are advocating? Building up the team first, and then getting the "franchise" QB at that point? It makes sense to me.

Careful though! If you build up the other facets of the team, and then your project (whom you hope has been actually getting better all along) takes the field and sucks, then you have no shot whatsoever of taking another QB for several years without trading the farm. Basically, you've become the Chicago Bears or the Carolina Panthers (still don't understand what kind of compromising photos Jake Delhomme must have in his possession to score a deal like that after such an epic choke job sullied a stong SB contender). You might be close, but at the end of the day, you're just going to be another very good also -ran.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 24th, 2009, 12:21 pm
QB Coach

blueblood1 wrote:
Careful though! If you build up the other facets of the team, and then your project (whom you hope has been actually getting better all along) takes the field and sucks, then you have no shot whatsoever of taking another QB for several years without trading the farm. Basically, you've become the Chicago Bears or the Carolina Panthers (still don't understand what kind of compromising photos Jake Delhomme must have in his possession to score a deal like that after such an epic choke job sullied a stong SB contender). You might be close, but at the end of the day, you're just going to be another very good also -ran.

Yes, but that's the chance you take anytime you draft a QB in a high round. No team drafts a QB thinking they're not going to pan out. They draft him thinking he has potential and will become the future leader of the team. If the FO doesn't think the QB prospect has it, they don't draft him. Simple as that. Especially at #1. As has been said by many others, if the FO thinks Stafford has what it takes to become a top QB, they take him. If not, they don't.

Also, your statement about having no shot of taking another QB for several years kind of blows apart the idea of being able to build up the team first and than taking a QB. Unless I'm missing something?

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

April 24th, 2009, 12:32 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Quote:

Why?

If I tell you that I'll either:

A) Give you $1 today.

or

B) Give you $10 three days from now

Which would you chose?

I'm an investing kind of guy........

But why do many teams consider a 1st round pick in 2010 to be the SAME VALUE as a 2nd round pick in 2009???

It is also much more COMPLEX than whether a player "eventually" turns out to be good 3 years down the road. With the salary cap limiting a team's ability to get better, paying a HUGE salary to a player that can not contribute NOW...... hurts his value to his team.

Think about this.

IF the Titans weren't committed to a HUGE amount of money for Vince Young to sit on their bench, they maybe could have signed Randy Moss or even Bernard Berrien last year as a UFA.... and maybe they win the Super Bowl.

There is something to be said to get IMMEDIATE return on your investment...... rather than paying BIG money on a LOAN.

April 24th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]