View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Best Available for Day 2? 
QB Coach

Post Best Available for Day 2?
Who do you guys see as the best available players to look at for the first pick of day 2? ESPN has DJ Moore as the best remaining player.

April 25th, 2009, 9:58 pm
RIP Killer

Some of the best value picks would be TEs, but we don't need to talk about those now.

Next are some of the tweener type DL-men, Alex McGee (Purdue), Jarron Gilbert (San Jose St.), and Michael Johnson (GA Tech).

There are some WRs (the Lions could go that way with their 82nd pick however) and RB but don't think they would go that way.

Could take a couple of Big-10 guards like Kraig Urbik (Wisconsin) or Rich Ohrnberger (Penn St).

April 25th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Robinson, Duke (OG), Oklahoma
Barnes, Kevin (CB), Maryland
Vaughn, Chip (SS), Wake Forest
Mickens, Mike (CB), Cincinnati
Lang, T.J. (OG), Eastern Michigan
Magee, Alex (DT), Purdue
Cadogan, Gerald (OT), Penn State
Fletcher, Bradley (CB), Iowa
Johnson, Herman (OG), LSU
Caldwell, Antoine (C), Alabama
Beckwith, Darry (ILB), LSU
Owens, Christopher (CB), San Jose State
Brinkley, Jasper (ILB), South Carolina
McRath, *Gerald (ILB), Southern Miss
Urbik, Kraig (OG), Wisconsin
Miller, Roy (DT), Texas

Just a few of the players still available. I left out players from positions that we have already drafted and the WR's.

DJ Moore is my pick for #65.

Last edited by BillySims on April 25th, 2009, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2009, 10:14 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

DJ Moore, Jarron Gilbert, and you've got Robinson, Ubrik, Green and Johnson for guards, but you can grab them later. Moore will give us a corner and a KR/PR. Depends on how the FO has people ranked since they've stuck with the BPA so far.

And i'd stay away from Michael Johnson.

April 25th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I smell Kalimba Edwards with Michael Johnson...

I like DJ Moore, but he's just a little dude, 5'8"...

What does everyone think about Jasper Brinkley? How much longer can the Lions go without addressing their most glaring need on D? What about DT? Roy Miller at #82?

April 25th, 2009, 10:29 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Well I honestly doubt that the Lions will draft any of these players (I sense more failure in our immediate future), but here are a few guys I like on day 2:

DJ Moore, CB, Vandy
Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn State
Antoine Caldwell, C/G, Alabama
Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma
Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose State
Scott McKillop, LB, Pitt
Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

There are some other players, but I was just sort of looking for guys at positions we have yet to address.

I just hope we can find SOMEBODY who can at least contribute at MLB. Otherwise we might be introducing a new-look 4-2-5 scheme... :?

April 25th, 2009, 10:51 pm
RIP Killer

I have serious man love for DJ Moore. Dood is small and doesn't jam very well, but he's not afraid to support the run and he's got great ball skills. He's got a knack for KR/PR, so he'd be a benefit on STs. Sure, he's not a starter, but he could push for the nickle job with Keith Smith.

Jason Williams - I like this guy at the MIKE. Sure, he needs to pack on about 10 more pounds and he's not great at shifting through blockers in the middle, but he's very good in coverage and he's a very good tackler (knows how to strip a ball). Has some pass rushing ability.

Gilbert is tiny, why do people like him? What, he's like 285? He's the exact OPPOSITE of what Schwartz wants.

There isn't a ton of value for the position we need in the 3rd round. Excellent depth at TE coming up...
Alex Magee
Kraig Urbik
Brad Fletcher
Rich Ohrnberger
Gerald Cadogan
Robert Brewster

April 25th, 2009, 10:58 pm
NFL Team Captain

I think you have to look at the FO has done so far with their picks. They have not taken just the BPA per say, but rather they have looked at both the BPA overall as well as BPA at position. Based on this they could take Darry Beckwith @ 65. DJ Moore might be the highest rated player left, but he is also ranked 5th or 6th in terms of Corner Backs.

The other position I would expect them to look at is OG. Duke Robinson is the top rated OG by most accounts and he is sitting there at 65 as well.

Personally I expect to see them draft the following based on what they have done so far:

3a. Duke Robinson OG
3b. Darry Beckwith ILB (If available)

April 25th, 2009, 10:59 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I think you have to look at the FO has done so far with their picks. They have not taken just the BPA per say, but rather they have looked at both the BPA overall as well as BPA at position. Based on this they could take Darry Beckwith @ 65. DJ Moore might be the highest rated player left, but he is also ranked 5th or 6th in terms of Corner Backs.

Well DJ WOULD be the 6th corner off the board if the Lions took him, so if he was the highest rated player on their board as well, why shouldn't they take him?

I'm not a huge Darry Beckwith fan, but at this point, I would be happy with just about anybody at MLB (other than Paris Lenon...)

April 25th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Say no to Michael Johnson...

I have serious man love for DJ Moore. Dood is small and doesn't jam very well, but he's not afraid to support the run and he's got great ball skills. He's got a knack for KR/PR, so he'd be a benefit on STs. Sure, he's not a starter, but he could push for the nickle job with Keith Smith.

Jason Williams - I like this guy at the MIKE. Sure, he needs to pack on about 10 more pounds and he's not great at shifting through blockers in the middle, but he's very good in coverage and he's a very good tackler (knows how to strip a ball). Has some pass rushing ability.

Gilbert is tiny, why do people like him? What, he's like 285? He's the exact OPPOSITE of what Schwartz wants.

There isn't a ton of value for the position we need in the 3rd round. Excellent depth at TE coming up...
Alex Magee
Kraig Urbik
Brad Fletcher
Rich Ohrnberger
Gerald Cadogan
Robert Brewster

I like Moore best, Robinson next. Gilbert is 6'5 though, so he can put on alot of weight and be a force. Just depends on how quickly he can add it.

April 25th, 2009, 11:06 pm
NFL Team Captain

TNLionsFanatic wrote:

Well DJ WOULD be the 6th corner off the board if the Lions took him, so if he was the highest rated player on their board as well, why shouldn't they take him?

I'm not a huge Darry Beckwith fan, but at this point, I would be happy with just about anybody at MLB (other than Paris Lenon...)

The only reason I think they pass on DJ Moore is because you have the top OG still sitting on the board at 65. The Value is better taking the OG than taking the best CB left. Obviously I'm not a professional, but if you're truly drafting BPA then its not only the top rated player on the board, but where is the value based on position. I think you have to look at both.

Scott Mckillop could be that pick at 3b too, it would depend on who is left across the board.

April 25th, 2009, 11:16 pm

How about Jasper Brinkley at 3b?

Then the 2 - 6's and 7 can find Return man and development picks or diamonds in the rough.

April 25th, 2009, 11:19 pm
NFL Team Captain

[quote="njroar"]How about Duke Robinson at 3a?
How about Jasper Brinkley at 3b?

quote]

Could be? I just don't think these guys are going to reach and leave a higher rated player sitting on the board.

If they take Duke Robinson they will have 4 starters come Sept. DJ moore may not win a starting job come Sept.

I love Jasper Brinkley, but he is listed as an OLB and has some injury concerns. He could be a beast if he can get healthy and regain his speed however.

April 25th, 2009, 11:27 pm
Veteran General Manager

I smell Kalimba Edwards with Michael Johnson...

I like DJ Moore, but he's just a little dude, 5'8"...

What does everyone think about Jasper Brinkley? How much longer can the Lions go without addressing their most glaring need on D? What about DT? Roy Miller at #82?

I like Roy Miller. You got to like a guy that Tim Ryan calls a fire hydrant with motion. LOL.

Can Brinkley lay the wood to people?

April 25th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

MrSpoon wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

The only reason I think they pass on DJ Moore is because you have the top OG still sitting on the board at 65. The Value is better taking the OG than taking the best CB left. Obviously I'm not a professional, but if you're truly drafting BPA then its not only the top rated player on the board, but where is the value based on position. I think you have to look at both.

Scott Mckillop could be that pick at 3b too, it would depend on who is left across the board.

Fair enough.

Really, I wouldn't be upset if we took Robinson at 3a and McKillop (or whomever) with 3b. I like DJ Moore, but I am not high on either Peterman or Loper at OG, so it would be nice to add another guy to the mix in order to, at the very least, create more competition.

April 25th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next