View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Best Available for Day 2? 
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
yeah, but everyone here was saying we needed to take him in round 3 and the Bears passed over him 3 times in rounds 3-4 before taking him with their 4th pick today. They obviously didn't think he was worth the earlier picks that the Lions had either.

EDIT: To show how much we really don't know... Duke Robinson is still there which other thought was BPA with the 1st pick in the 3rd. So we are obviously all much much smarter than the rest of the NFL...

EDIT 2: I just noticed that no ILB had been taken till AFTER the Lions pick in the 4th. NO 3rd round ILB's and no top 4th ILB's. Why didn't we address that spot? The talent isn't there.

I wanted Moore with our 2nd 3rd rounder (82nd). He's got some knocks, no question, but he's got potential. He fell mainly due to his slow 40 time at the combine. BTW - The Bears have glaring needs at WR and DT and they went BPA at position of need.

Duke Robinson is far overrated. He's a 3-4 round talent, who's slipping because he simply isn't agile and quick enough to get to the 2nd level and sustain NFL caliber LBs and DTs like Tommie Harris.

But he fell, why, because all the NFL teams thought he had more problems and other were better worth the risk. Is he probably a good value at the spot they got him, sure, but they had the spot, we didn't. WE took what looks like to be a incredibly stud DL if he plays to potential and gets stronger. That was a glaring need also.

Fact is, the guys we liked are turning out to be actually NOT so great picks. Curry isn't as good as Mayo (until he proves otherwise), Rey wasn't even worth a 1st rounder let alone 20th overall. Moore was obviously a 4th round value pick and Duke is still sliding, probably a 5th round value pick.

Facts are, we don't know squat... Is it fun to bicker an banter about it, sure thing! But to get down on the FO for seemingly agreeing with the rest of the NFL is silly and a step too far IMO. We just do not know enough to do that. Brinkley and Freeman are two LB's I think we NEED to grab, but they keep having guys seemingly behind them go off the boards. So I have to say, what the heck do I know!?

April 26th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:
steensn wrote:
yeah, but everyone here was saying we needed to take him in round 3 and the Bears passed over him 3 times in rounds 3-4 before taking him with their 4th pick today. They obviously didn't think he was worth the earlier picks that the Lions had either.

EDIT: To show how much we really don't know... Duke Robinson is still there which other thought was BPA with the 1st pick in the 3rd. So we are obviously all much much smarter than the rest of the NFL...

EDIT 2: I just noticed that no ILB had been taken till AFTER the Lions pick in the 4th. NO 3rd round ILB's and no top 4th ILB's. Why didn't we address that spot? The talent isn't there.

I wanted Moore with our 2nd 3rd rounder (82nd). He's got some knocks, no question, but he's got potential. He fell mainly due to his slow 40 time at the combine. BTW - The Bears have glaring needs at WR and DT and they went BPA at position of need.

Duke Robinson is far overrated. He's a 3-4 round talent, who's slipping because he simply isn't agile and quick enough to get to the 2nd level and sustain NFL caliber LBs and DTs like Tommie Harris.

But he fell, why, because all the NFL teams thought he had more problems and other were better worth the risk. Is he probably a good value at the spot they got him, sure, but they had the spot, we didn't. WE took what looks like to be a incredibly stud DL if he plays to potential and gets stronger. That was a glaring need also.

Fact is, the guys we liked are turning out to be actually NOT so great picks. Curry isn't as good as Mayo (until he proves otherwise), Rey wasn't even worth a 1st rounder let alone 20th overall. Moore was obviously a 4th round value pick and Duke is still sliding, probably a 5th round value pick.

Facts are, we don't know squat... Is it fun to bicker an banter about it, sure thing! But to get down on the FO for seemingly agreeing with the rest of the NFL is silly and a step too far IMO. We just do not know enough to do that.

LOL Isn't that the truth....now if only more people would realize that :wink: :lol:

April 26th, 2009, 2:35 pm
RIP Killer

LOL Isn't that the truth....now if only more people would realize that :wink: :lol:

Even though it is FUN, tons of fun, to speculate and banter about it... I realized that a long time a go. I think the problem is that some people were right once or twice and now they are experts.

April 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... redith.php

Meredith is still out there, he could be a backup several OL positions guy. Good value in the 6th if he is still there.

April 26th, 2009, 2:48 pm
RIP Killer

April 26th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Coye Francis , CB is the Pick if you ask me. More DBs to compete = Better DB core in general IMO.

And there is not a good value at the other positions. All prospective late round ILBs are gone.. so we wont find a potential starter ILB... and we got our DT.

April 26th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

Coye Francis , CB is the Pick if you ask me. More DBs to compete = Better DB core in general IMO.

And there is not a good value at the other positions. All prospective late round ILBs are gone.. so we wont find a potential starter ILB... and we got our DT.

Frantz Joseph is still around. That guy is an inside thumper. Great prospect. Guy is like two face. He's like a violent maniac on the field that likes to knock the crap out of people. But off the field he's such a gracious and humble kid. Another big middle guy who would be good is Josh Mauga from Nevada.

Here's my board at this point.

47 Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
58 Gerald Cadogan LT Penn State
71 Mike Mickens CB Cincinnatti
87 Coye Francies CB San Jose State
91 Cedric Peerman RB Virginia
116 Darry Beckwith MLB LSU
118 Zack Follet OLB California
120 Courtney Greene SS Rutgers
121 Jonathan Casillas OLB Wisconsin
124 Cameron Morrah TE California
127 Kory Sheets RB Purdue
128 Kevin Ogletree WR Virginia
130 Trevor Canfield RG Cincinnati
134 Michael Bennett DE Texas A&M
135 Brandon Underwood FS Cincinnati
137 Dannell Ellerbe MLB Georgia
139 Vance Walker DT Georgia Tech
143 Emmanuel Cook SS South Carolina
144 Jaime Thomas LG Maryland
147 Emmanuel Cook SS South Carolina
148 Javarris Williams RB Tennessee State
150 Jason Watkins OT Florida
153 Frantz Joseph MLB Florida Atlantic
154 Al Afalava SS Oregon State
157 Josh Mauga MLB Nevada

April 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

We nab RB Aaron Brown of TCU in the 6th round -- SI.com had him projected as a 1-2 rounder! He could make the team in a multiple RB running attack, which seems to be the fashion these days.

SI.com wrote:
POSITIVES: Versatile running back with an array of ball handling skills. Smart football player, finds lanes and quickly gets through them. Instinctive, creates his own yardage on the inside, and darts around opponents getting through the small creases of the defense. Quickly cuts back against the grain, avoiding piles, displays solid open field running skills, and makes defenders miss in a small area. Weaves through the traffic, and uses blocks all over the field. Solid pass catcher out of the backfield. Picks up blocking assignments and gives effort.

NEGATIVES: Mostly a one-speed back who cannot run to daylight or turn the corner. Lacks strength in his running, and not a ball carrier who breaks tackles or picks up yardage off initial contact. Struggled with injuries and suspensions the past two years.

ANALYSIS: At the top of his game, Brown is a productive ball carrier and tag be used in a variety of roles at the next level. He offers the skills necessary to be a third-down back or situational runner, but he must stay healthy and keep his focus on the field.

Last edited by moldyoldie on April 26th, 2009, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Varsity Captain

April 26th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Great value, know nothing of the guy, but if he was rated high then getting him in the 6th is a great value. There is obviously a reason he fell so far, but that is where you get value picks at, guys falling.

April 26th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Stadium Announcer

April 26th, 2009, 5:30 pm
NFL Veteran

He will be a pure returner for the Lions. I don't care what SI says. There were so many Running Backs and/or Returners better than Aaron Brown available.

Rashad Jennings, Kory Sheets, Javarris Williams, Jeremiah Johnson, James Davis, Devin Moore, Arian Foster and Tyrell Sutton were all better option IMO. Therefore terrible value IMO.

As a runner, I could never find anything that could convince me he could be a legitimate NFL back. I wanted someone who could play a position and return. If Brown will ever run for us, he has a lot of work to do. Looks like Schwartz got his full time return man.

April 26th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

He had issues while he was at TCU and had some injury problems as well. He also doesn't have that elite speed that you would like to get out of a return guy at the NFL level. Not a fan of the pick with better oprtions at RB in my opinion still on the board as well as some pretty good defensive guys still available.

April 26th, 2009, 5:53 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I was glad to see Murtha, who looks like a solid project with upside. I also liked seeing another LB (Zack Follett), but I wonder how he compares with Darry Beckwith and Ellerbe out of UGA?

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 26th, 2009, 6:44 pm
NFL Veteran

I was glad to see Murtha, who looks like a solid project with upside. I also liked seeing another LB (Zack Follett), but I wonder how he compares with Darry Beckwith and Ellerbe out of UGA?

I had Beckwith (117) a smigeon higher than Follet (119), but only because Beckwith fits a need MLB, and Follet is like an Ernie Sims clone. Regardless, Follet is excellent value here. I have Ellerbe at 138.

April 26th, 2009, 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4