View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Never too soon to look ahead. 2010 Draft. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Never too soon to look ahead. 2010 Draft.
Quote:
Never too soon to look at top prospects for next year's draft
Bucky Brooks By Bucky Brooks | NFL.com
Analyst

Now that the 2009 draft is in the books, scouts have already started identifying the top prospects in next year's draft. Using a combination of game tape evaluation and background research, the preliminary draft board is beginning to take shape in war rooms around the league.

With the notion of getting a head start on the year-long process, here's a look at the top 16 senior NFL prospects for the 2010 draft class, in order of when they might get drafted:

1. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State (6-5, 300)

Okung is a dominating tackle prospect with exceptional size and nimble feet. He is equally adept as a run or pass blocker, and has all of the requisite tools to be a franchise-caliber left tackle as a pro.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska (6-4, 305)

Suh is a disruptive interior player with exceptional strength, power and athleticism. He is not only a dominant run defender, but also is an excellent pass rusher with natural instincts. With few interior defenders possessing his overall skill set, it's not surprising that Suh is considered one of the top prospects in next year's draft.

3. Taylor Mays, FS, USC (6-3, 230)

Mays is a hard-hitting safety with outstanding athleticism and movement skills. He shows natural instincts in coverage, and is the kind of teeth-rattling enforcer that defensive coordinators crave in the middle of the field.

4. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma (6-6, 262)

As a big, athletic tight end with exceptional hands and ball skills, Gresham is the ultimate weapon in the passing game. He is a matchup nightmare in space, and projects as an Antonio Gates-like tight end at the next level.

5. Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama (6-5, 365)

The massive run-stuffer dominates the point of attack and is a disruptive force against single- and double-teams. Though Cody's weight is a concern, his ability to single-handedly suffocate running games will make him a highly coveted prospect next spring.

6. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas (6-3, 210)

The savvy signal-caller has all the intangibles to be an outstanding pro. Though he doesn't have the strongest of arms, McCoy's instincts, anticipation and awareness allow him to pick apart defenses with an assortment of accurate throws. In addition, he has the leadership skills to command respect from his teammates. With checkmarks in all the right areas, McCoy enters the season as the top-rated senior prospect at the position.

7. Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College (6-4, 239)

Herzlich is a high-motor player with outstanding instincts and rush skills. With more teams looking for hybrid-type players to plug into 3-4 schemes, Herzlich's versatility and toughness will lead to a high ranking on most draft boards.

8. Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas (6-4, 254)

Kindle is an athletic marvel with outstanding speed and quickness. He dazzles scouts with his explosive first step, and flashes natural rush skills off the edge. With Kindle expected to log more snaps at defensive end this season, Kindle could wind up as the top hybrid rusher on the board in the spring.

9. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma (6-5, 309)

Williams surprised many by returning for his senior season, but the extra year will give him the opportunity to work extensively at left tackle. If he can display the footwork and lateral quickness to handle elite pass rushers, he could make a strong case for being the top tackle taken in next year's draft.

10. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida (6-3, 256)

The Gators' star is an instinctive playmaker with superb vision and awareness. Spikes has a knack for being around the ball, and is a punishing tackler on contact. With natural leadership skills to boot, it is not surprising that Spikes ranks as one of the top linebackers in the 2010 draft.

11. Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky 6-0, 178)

As a polished cover man with exceptional speed, athleticism and movement skills, Lindley has all of the tools to be a lockdown corner on the next level. Although he is a little on the thin side, Lindley's superior cover skills will earn him high grades on most draft boards.

12. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (5-11, 193)

The electrifying speedster tantalizes scouts with his big-play potential. As a multi-purpose threat with a rare combination of burst and elusiveness, Spiller is a dynamic weapon worthy of carrying a high grade heading into the fall.

13. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU (6-3, 209)

As a big, physical receiver with excellent hands and running skills, LaFell has all the tools to serve as a No. 1 receiver on the next level. With the game evolving into a big man's game on the outside, scouts are pegging LaFell as the top receiving prospect in the 2010 draft class.

14. Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi, (6-4, 265)

Hardy is a rangy, edge player with good instincts and overall skills. Though Hardy doesn't display outstanding first-step quickness, he displays an uncanny ability to get to the quarterback and is regarded as one of the best pass rushers available in the next year's draft.

15. George Selvie, DE, South Florida (6-4, 252)

The explosive pass rusher flashes exceptional first-step quickness. Selvie routinely blows past blockers on speed rushes, and uses an outstanding closing burst to run down quarterbacks. If Selvie returns to full health (he missed the better part of three games with an ankle injury in '08) and displays the form that led to 14.5 sacks as a sophomore, he could skyrocket up the charts as a top pass rushing prospect.

16. Ciron Black, OT, LSU (6-5, 325)

The grizzled veteran is not the prettiest athlete, but he is an effective blocker on the edge. Though his skills may be best suited for right tackle as a pro, teams will rank the LSU standout high on their boards if he can show more consistency in his play as a senior.

So, which 1 of these is the next 1st round pick of the Lions?

May 9th, 2009, 10:03 pm
Junior Varsity

You can tell this is not from well regarded web site because Colt McCoy is listed here as one of the top rated QB's and every one on Lionbacker here knows Stafford was the only top rated QB coming out over the next few years. McCoy was specifically mentioned as someone who would not succeed in the NFL.

May 10th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

You can tell this is not from well regarded web site because Colt McCoy is listed here as one of the top rated QB's and every one on Lionbacker here knows Stafford was the only top rated QB coming out over the next few years. McCoy was specifically mentioned as someone who would not succeed in the NFL.

UMMMMMM.

It's from NFL.com

So, I guess your right. It's not well regarded.

May 10th, 2009, 5:29 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

If you look at the list it's loaded with DL, OT and LB.

Only QB who made the list is Colt McCoy and yes I would take Stafford over McCoy's questionable arm strength and scrawny build.

May 10th, 2009, 6:33 pm
National Champion

I am also not convinced that Colt McCoy is a first-rounder, given that he got an opinion from the NFL Draft advisory committee and returned to college.

I never understand why when they make these lists they exclude Juniors, given the frequency that they declare. Off the top of my head, notable omissions on that account are Sam Bradford (QB), Jevan Snead (QB), Eric Berry (S), and Carlos Dunlap (DE). This upcoming draft looks like it will be stacked, unlike the last one which was so weak that our FO at least thought that the best player available at 20 was a tight end who can't get down the field.

May 10th, 2009, 8:55 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

May 10th, 2009, 9:08 pm
National Champion

Carlos Dunlap

If he has a strong season he could be the number one overall pick. There are very few "true" 4-3 DE's who can consistently rush the passer and have the size to play the run effectively (Julius Peppers and Mario Williams).

May 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Varsity Captain

I would say Gerald McCoy DT from OK, Eric Berry S from Tenn, and Carlos Dunlap are the top prospects for next year at this point.

Berry is way better then Mays too. just as physical plus he has unmatched production in SEC starting as a freshman. doesnt have the publicity of USC behind him, but hes a hell of a player. And yes Mays is surrounded by tons of talent and plays centerfield, but Berry does the same thing.

May 13th, 2009, 1:05 am
NFL Team Captain

I would say Gerald McCoy DT from OK, Eric Berry S from Tenn, and Carlos Dunlap are the top prospects for next year at this point.

Berry is way better then Mays too. just as physical plus he has unmatched production in SEC starting as a freshman. doesnt have the publicity of USC behind him, but hes a hell of a player. And yes Mays is surrounded by tons of talent and plays centerfield, but Berry does the same thing.

Berry is amazing. After watching TN Vols games this past year, he seemed to get better and better as the season went on. I don't think he's reached his potential quite yet either. His position will go against him for landing an early draft position, but he definitely will go to some team around the 10 spot, maybe sooner if he continues to make improvements. :wink:

May 13th, 2009, 7:01 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Anyways, right now I would like our draft next year to look like this.
1-DE Carlos Dunlap
2-LT Adam Ulatoski or Sam Young
3-DT Vince Oghobaase

May 13th, 2009, 9:14 am
Mr. Irrelevant

After another season of the turnstyle Backus at LT, I would guess the selection will be Okung if they had the chance...

May 14th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

One of my favorite players (Mark Herzlich) to watch has been diagnosed with cancer. I can only hope he can attack and defeat this the same way he attacks ball carriers on the field.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,163519

May 15th, 2009, 6:56 am
Team MVP

Berry=Ed Reed

Anyways, right now I would like our draft next year to look like this.
1-DE Carlos Dunlap
2-LT Adam Ulatoski or Sam Young
3-DT Vince Oghobaase

Looks good to me. I liked our draft this year, especially our top 3 picks + Follet, but IMO we HAVE to go defense in the first round next year, especially if our D is really bad again. If Dunlap turns out to be a very good prospect at that time, we have to take him if we get the chance.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 16th, 2009, 12:08 am
NFL Team Captain

One of my favorite players (Mark Herzlich) to watch has been diagnosed with cancer. I can only hope he can attack and defeat this the same way he attacks ball carriers on the field.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,163519

That is sad news. We just lost a friend and co-worker to the same type cancer. Ewing Sarcoma is a fairly rare type of cancer and it's nasty. My thoughts and prayers are that they found it early enough for full recovery.

May 16th, 2009, 7:51 am
Div 1 - Starter

Add my vote for DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma. Smart, motivated game-changer.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

May 16th, 2009, 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next