View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 9:13 am



Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Never too soon to look ahead. 2010 Draft. 
Author Message
Afghan Allstar
User avatar

Joined: January 9th, 2006, 1:16 pm
Posts: 564
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
At this point, I say we have to go D early and often next draft. The OL looked solid in the pre-season. I know it's only pre-season, but until they prove otherwise I'm going to take that as a step in the right direction. The DL and the secondary, on the other hand, didn't look so great. Very rarely did I see good pressure from the DL alone.

Other than backup WRs, there wasn't a glaring weakness on the Offensive side of the ball. The Backs put up good numbers. CJ is CJ. The OL was opening up holes. Obviously we'll start to find out what we've got at QB in a few days.

_________________
So many nights I just dream of the ocean, God I wish I was sailing again.


September 9th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post 
Yep - m2k said it perfectly IMO.

1st 3 Picks of this next draft need to be DT , DE and CB in No certain order (BPA). Although if we ends up with a pick 3-5 and have a shot at Taylor mays Id Be Tempted. If Delmas Pans out having 2 "Super-Safties" could make up for the weak CBs, and we could draft a lower rd CB or Sign a few more (younger) moderate FA CBs who can tackle (what Cunn/Schwartz like).

But DT and DE, we just need to draft. You dont often get an All Star DT/DE from a Trade or UFA , unless you are willing to pay 70-100 million a la Jared Allen and Hayneworth.


September 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
DJ-B wrote:
Yep - m2k said it perfectly IMO.

1st 3 Picks of this next draft need to be DT , DE and CB in No certain order (BPA). Although if we ends up with a pick 3-5 and have a shot at Taylor mays Id Be Tempted. If Delmas Pans out having 2 "Super-Safties" could make up for the weak CBs, and we could draft a lower rd CB or Sign a few more (younger) moderate FA CBs who can tackle (what Cunn/Schwartz like).

But DT and DE, we just need to draft. You dont often get an All Star DT/DE from a Trade or UFA , unless you are willing to pay 70-100 million a la Jared Allen and Hayneworth.


Unless some top notch talent drops for some reason at a different position, I agree totally. Someone always drops and a team gets big time lucky, if we are in that spot, you have to take the talent. But other than that, we are in a world of hurt at DT, DE, CB...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 9th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3166
Location: Maryland
Post 
Yeah we need starters and depth at CB, DT and DE in the worst way out of next draft.


September 9th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: July 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm
Posts: 237
Post 
i would jump up and down at either suh or mays even berry on our first pick!!


September 9th, 2009, 11:53 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
I completely agree that the Lions need help at CB, but it appears that it's going to be a weak year for the position in the 2010 draft. The best option may be to aquire a top CB in FA and then concentrate on the DL and OL in the draft. But who knows? The college football season has just started and a CB or two may emerge as a top prospect before the year is over.

_________________
Image


September 10th, 2009, 9:54 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9848
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
I completely agree that the Lions need help at CB, but it appears that it's going to be a weak year for the position in the 2010 draft. The best option may be to aquire a top CB in FA and then concentrate on the DL and OL in the draft. But who knows? The college football season has just started and a CB or two may emerge as a top prospect before the year is over.


The worst part is that most of our youth, defensively, is along the defensive line. If Cohen or Hill emerge as a stable, if not outstanding, player, we can concentrate on getting a CB earely, since that is where the age is a serious problem (as well as lack of talent).

I'd love to see Avril play as a full timer, and it somewhat upsets me that Cunningham and Schwartz seem to want to use him only as a pass rush specialist. However, they see his play everyday and I will defer to their decision.

However, I do agree with DJ-B that either you draft and develop a DT/DE, or you have to pay with blood to get one via free agency.

It would be sweet if Cohen, Hill AND Fluellen turn out to be studs......but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for it to be so.


September 10th, 2009, 10:21 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2741
Post 
I think we need to stick to what we did this year.... go BPA. You can limit it to defense, because we obviously don't need a QB, TE or WR, but you take the best player on the board with what we do need. I agree we need DL and Secondary help the most, so I'd love to see the picks there, but didn't Schwartz say this that he likes to take DL in the later rounds because they're easier to develop? I might be wrong, but just look at Hill as an example of someone from a smaller school, and now he's an opening day starter. Last years regime wouldn't have had him ready. GC pushed him in a way to make him feel comfortable, and he'll be eating up space for awhile. Cohen put on alot of strength weight, and looked good. I didn't see much of Flu.

We'll have to see where we end up in the draft and what other deals Mayhew will line up. Are we going to be in the 1-10 range or the 11-25 range. BPA is going to jump around, and we really don't know who will end up on Schwartz's board since none of us really saw Delmas or Levy coming either.


September 10th, 2009, 10:29 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
The draft depends on 2 things

A)The Development of Cohen and Hill during the season
B)The level of play Backus shows us


September 10th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Profile
Post 
Stallion wrote:
The draft depends on 2 things

A)The Development of Cohen and Hill during the season
B)The level of play Backus shows us


Depends largely on the play of Stafford, IMO...

IF Stafford turns out to be a franchise Qb, and Backus sucks, it was still a good pick.


September 10th, 2009, 1:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post 
I dont think he was discussing the Staff pick. i think he meant, next years draft will depend on Backus and the DL because the year will tell us if we need replacements at those positions.


September 10th, 2009, 2:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post 
DJ-B wrote:
I dont think he was discussing the Staff pick. i think he meant, next years draft will depend on Backus and the DL because the year will tell us if we need replacements at those positions.



That makes more sense...

In that case I would bring up our CB's, LB's, and DE's though. Foote and Peterson don't have much left. I am comfortable with them for this year and next at LB, but at CB and DE I'm much less comfortable.


September 10th, 2009, 3:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post 
My gut tells me that we need to lock down as many positions as we can in the draft.

Taylor Mays or Erick Berry. That should lock down the safties for quite awhile.

Depending on the performance of our young guys at DT, we may have to look there in round 2. Would love to see Cody available at this point.

3rd round, this is where we need to look for a DE or CB. As already posted, the CB position looks thin in the entire draft. Maybe we look to trade some picks for more picks in 2011.

If we can get 2 starters out of the 2010 draft, I think we can work with what we have and then go DE and CB in 2011.

We have alot of holes that we need to fill. Let's fill them with quality players and look to the next draft to fill the others.

Just my thoughts, anyone with a better plan, I would love to hear about. :idea: :idea:


September 10th, 2009, 7:53 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
I dont think he was discussing the Staff pick. i think he meant, next years draft will depend on Backus and the DL because the year will tell us if we need replacements at those positions.



That makes more sense...

In that case I would bring up our CB's, LB's, and DE's though. Foote and Peterson don't have much left. I am comfortable with them for this year and next at LB, but at CB and DE I'm much less comfortable.


I agree 100% that DE and CB are also huge needs. I think that how early we can draft a DE, CB, or even S is dependent on the play of our young DTs and Backus.

I think it would be very likely that if Backus has a poor season then we will draft a LT. If he shows even average abaility we will focus on the D.

The same goes with Hill and Cohen. The less the show the earlier we will be looking for a DT. If Hill and Cohen show up then that makes our weakest unit easily the secondary.

I am slightly less concerned about LB though. I think that Levy will be starting next year at MLB. It owuld just leave a replacement for Peterson.


September 10th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Profile
Post 
Stallion wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
I dont think he was discussing the Staff pick. i think he meant, next years draft will depend on Backus and the DL because the year will tell us if we need replacements at those positions.



That makes more sense...

In that case I would bring up our CB's, LB's, and DE's though. Foote and Peterson don't have much left. I am comfortable with them for this year and next at LB, but at CB and DE I'm much less comfortable.


I agree 100% that DE and CB are also huge needs. I think that how early we can draft a DE, CB, or even S is dependent on the play of our young DTs and Backus.

I think it would be very likely that if Backus has a poor season then we will draft a LT. If he shows even average abaility we will focus on the D.

The same goes with Hill and Cohen. The less the show the earlier we will be looking for a DT. If Hill and Cohen show up then that makes our weakest unit easily the secondary.

I am slightly less concerned about LB though. I think that Levy will be starting next year at MLB. It owuld just leave a replacement for Peterson.


At this point, unless Hill and Cohen fall on their face I would say that DT is off the table. Because we have ONE up and coming DT is enough to put it off when we have ZERO depth or youth at CB, DE. I realize that we have Cliff Aviril possibly holding down one spot, but IMO we have ZERO viable starters at DE (unless Avril really steps up and bulks up) and ZERO viable starters at CB (no matter what happens).

I still don't think we are in a position to simply take the BPA no matter who is available. I think we need to target CB, LT, and DE (probably in that order) in the up and coming draft, regardless as to how we perform this year at those respective positions.


September 11th, 2009, 3:05 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.