View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Draft Notes 4/20 
RIP Killer

Post Draft Notes 4/20
By War Room scoutsSporting News

Redskins officials are worried that Arizona, which picks one spot ahead, will draft cornerback Adam "Pac-Man" Jones and thus force Washington to consider Miami (Fla.) cornerback Antrel Rolle.

Coach Joe Gibbs passed on former Hurricane tight end Kellen Winslow in the '04 draft because he didn't want to deal with his agents' usual soap opera. Instead, Washington selected Miami safety Sean Taylor, who hired/fired three agents, was charged with a DWI and is skipping offseason workouts because he wants a new contract.

New wide receiver Santana Moss, another former Miami (Fla.) player, also is skipping offseason workouts because of contract issues. Fellow Miami alum Clinton Portis also is staying away from workouts even after the Redskins rescued him from Denver and gave him his desired big-time contract last offseason.

It's safe to say that Gibbs wants nothing do with any more former Hurricanes. That decision could cost Rolle several spots in the draft and thus diminish his signing rookie signing bonus/contract. Scouts consider Rolle a good guy who is unfairly judged by the "Hurricane reputation," but it'll be a shock if the Redskins don't pass on him and select Auburn cornerback Carlos Rogers instead.

THURMAN DROPPING

Georgia inside linebacker Odell Thurman is not holding up to the scrutiny that faces all potential first-round picks. As NFL security and team representatives have dug into his off-field activity, they are becoming increasingly concerned about character issues. The inside linebacker position is typically downgraded because few can play every down. Questions about Thurman's character will hurt his stock further and drop him deep into Round 2.

EDWARDS TO CHICAGO?

Bears officials have everybody thinking they will draft a running back at No. 4 overall and then take a wide receiver early in the second round (No. 39 overall). However, Bears officials are debating just the opposite.

There have been serious discussions at the Bears' draft meetings about selecting wide receiver Braylon Edwards at No. 4 and then looking for a running back at No. 39. Bears officials want to keep their options open and prefer to trade down because there is quality Day 1 depth at running back and wide receiver.

The Bears' public statements about taking a running back first is the safe play; there certainly will be at least one of the big three running backs -- Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson and Carnell Williams -- available at No. 4. If Edwards is gone, Bears GM Jerry Angelo and coach Lovie Smith won't lose face with the fans.

By not showing heavy interest in Edwards, the Vikings and Titans will not be inclined to trade ahead of Chicago to get Edwards. Should Edwards slip, the Bears could grab him. Angelo and Smith are mum on the subject, fearing a repeat of a leak that cost the Bears defensive end Andre Carter in 2001.

If Edwards is available, the Bears should take him.

HOUSTON GM STILL HIGH ON BARRON

There is a rift in Houston over Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron. Texans coaches say Barron is not strong enough or tough enough mentally to warrant the 13th-overall pick. GM Charley Casserly, however, says he heard the same things about Ravens All-Pro Jonathan Ogden when he came out of UCLA. Casserly doesn't figure to be swayed; he will go forward with his plan to draft Barron.

ERASMUS JAMES DEBATE IN K.C.

Chiefs officials are serious in the pro-con debate over selecting Wisconsin defensive end Erasmus James at No. 15 overall. James has Pro Bowl potential but also has a history of injuries. The Chiefs' draft room is divided; there is no consensus. President/GM Carl Peterson likes James and has the final say.

April 20th, 2005, 12:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

From what I've heard, Rolle is a standup guy who had an unfortunate thing happen to him a while ago. I think he is very good, and why would pac man go ahead of Rolle?

April 20th, 2005, 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No idea, Rolle is a much better player in my opinion. A much better team player. Pac-Man seems to into himself and the money. Both seem fairly cocky though. I imagine I'd be somewhat cocky if I knew I was one of the top five players in the nation...oh well. They won't be cocky when they drop a ball or get burned by a Charles Rogers this season.

April 20th, 2005, 6:55 pm
QB Coach

From what I have seen of Pac-Man, he is the type of corner who is what NFL teams are looking for.

Nearly all the plays he makes, he baits the QB into believing that the receiver is open, then just kicks it up a notch and recovers like a bullet.

He has great quickness, recognition, and overall speed. That's more valuable than a corner who is athletic and physical in the NFL. He's the kind of guy that teams want, despite his size.

April 20th, 2005, 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree Pacman is a complete CB. Who cares about size really? He is about the same size as the average cover CB. I am not sold on his character, though. Rolle is not fluid enough. Neither does he seem to be a ballhawk. He could wash out into a S.

I wonder if the interest in Rolle is more smoke from teams after Rogers and Jones?

April 20th, 2005, 9:05 pm
National Champion

I agree Pacman is a complete CB. Who cares about size really? He is about the same size as the average cover CB. I am not sold on his character, though. Rolle is not fluid enough. Neither does he seem to be a ballhawk. He could wash out into a S.

I wonder if the interest in Rolle is more smoke from teams after Rogers and Jones?

I agree with Yorick. Pacman had better production than Rolle in college. You can make up for a height differential with good awareness, good leaping ability, and an ability to time leaps. Pacman held his own against larger receivers that he played against in college, so why can't he do that in the NFL?

April 21st, 2005, 12:21 am
RIP Killer

I agree with Yorick. Pacman had better production than Rolle in college. You can make up for a height differential with good awareness, good leaping ability, and an ability to time leaps. Pacman held his own against larger receivers that he played against in college, so why can't he do that in the NFL?

Don't forget the jamming at the line.

Pac-Man is very physical. In an article I read yesterday (don't remember what it was called), someone asked Pac-Man about the no contact rule and he said something to the likes of still being able to jam and he loves to try to rough up bigger receivers.

April 21st, 2005, 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]