View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Draft grades: 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Draft grades:
I know everyone loves to give out draft grades right after the draft. But honestly, I'd rather give out draft grades based on performance rather then potential, so what grades; looking back; would you give to the Lions drafts? (or do we fail every time...)

- Now on Facebook!

May 31st, 2009, 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Fox Sports: Detroit Lions had NFL's best draft
Posted by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com June 02, 2009 14:22PM
Categories: Draft, National Perspective
Thanks to earning a high pick in the NFL draft nearly every year this millenium, the Detroit Lions often get solid grades for their rookie class.

This year, the praise is there, but a little less enthusiastic.

Alex Marvez isn't holding back, though. In his "best and worst offseason moves" article, the Fox Sports NFL analyst says the Lions had the best draft.

Fox Sports, June 1: wrote:
Because he was the top overall pick, the success of quarterback Matthew Stafford is how Detroit's 2009 draft will ultimately be judged. But some other selections should also play a key role in getting this franchise back on its feet. Second-round pick Louis Delmas could become an immediate starter at safety. DeAndre Levy (third round) will likely be groomed at middle linebacker behind free-agent pickup Larry Foote. And Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit's other first-round choice, is the team's best tight end prospect since Hall of Fame selection Charlie Sanders in the 1970s.

Nice find, Spartyfi! And thanks for sending it to me!

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/200 ... .html#more

:shock:

June 3rd, 2009, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
I've been sickened by the MOST of the "Moron of the Millenium" picks (first round included) from seconds after the picks were announced. It is a VERY sad state when we are looking at not one, not two but THREE second round picks from just two years ago being backups or on the bubble. Even last years second round pick will be nothing but a backup.

I don't expect all second round picks to start immediately, but they should at least be a prominent contributor. Only Gerald Alexander was able to do that among the four I mentioned. His injury last season halted further contribution. IAF and Stanton are complete wasted picks, IMHO. I didn't like either when they happened. Dizon......I'm not a big fan of his either, but he could be a solid player in time. This year will tell us much about him (hopefully). It's sickening to know that from 2001 to 2006, 45 picks in all, we have just 6 of them on our roster. That's a retention rate of only 13.33% over that period of time......small wonder they suck.

It's tough to grade the last couple drafts, and the 2007 draft class will answer many questions this season as to just how good it was. Outside of CJ, though, I don't see a whole lot of good. And that is with four picks in the top 61.....that's atrocious to only get one valid starter out of those four picks. 2008 seems like a much more productive draft than any of the previous dating back to 2001.

June 3rd, 2009, 12:16 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
I've been sickened by the MOST of the "Moron of the Millenium" picks (first round included) from seconds after the picks were announced. It is a VERY sad state when we are looking at not one, not two but THREE second round picks from just two years ago being backups or on the bubble. Even last years second round pick will be nothing but a backup.

I don't expect all second round picks to start immediately, but they should at least be a prominent contributor. Only Gerald Alexander was able to do that among the four I mentioned. His injury last season halted further contribution. IAF and Stanton are complete wasted picks, IMHO. I didn't like either when they happened. Dizon......I'm not a big fan of his either, but he could be a solid player in time. This year will tell us much about him (hopefully). It's sickening to know that from 2001 to 2006, 45 picks in all, we have just 6 of them on our roster. That's a retention rate of only 13.33% over that period of time......small wonder they suck.

It's tough to grade the last couple drafts, and the 2007 draft class will answer many questions this season as to just how good it was. Outside of CJ, though, I don't see a whole lot of good. And that is with four picks in the top 61.....that's atrocious to only get one valid starter out of those four picks. 2008 seems like a much more productive draft than any of the previous dating back to 2001.

Certainly. Let's hope Mayhew is a better talent evaluator then Millen ever was.

As far as the big three second round picks from two years ago, I was excited about two of them, Stanton and Alexander. I hated the pick of IAF right away though.

IMO Stanton never got the chance he deserved (http://gridirongrowl.blogspot.com/2009/ ... hance.html) and by this offseason it was too late to try and re-evaluate him because we simply couldn't pass on Stafford.

With Alexander, I believe will provide good competition with Bullocks for a starting job, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he beat out Bullocks, cause I believe he does have more raw talent then Bullocks.

- Now on Facebook!

June 3rd, 2009, 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Looking back on the 2009 draft and the trades, now that we are a few weeks in, let's see how Mayhew did. Three trades to review:

1. Roy Williams to Dallas for 1st, 3rd and 6th, gave up 7th
2. NY Jets get top pick in 3rd and Detroit gets 3rd, 4th and 7th
3. Denver gets 6th round pick and Detroit gets 2010 5th rounder, plus 7th rounder in 2009

1. With the picks we received, we took Pettigrew, Derrick Williams and
Aaron Brown.....interesting that all those picks were spent on offensive skill players.

In reality, what this means is that between the trade made with Cleveland and the Dallas trade, we got a #20, a second, a third and a sixth rounder for the original #6 pick we had. Not too shabby. In a player to players comparison, I think we definitely got the better of the deal. Roy Williams continues to be something of an enigma...but is still a #1 receiver. For Detroit, Pettigrew adds to both facets of the game, D. Williams will likely turn out to be a good #2 or solid #3 receiver, and Brown is a running back who has shown signs of being a return threat and a third down contributor. I think we win that one. Oh, and the 7th rounder Dallas got was traded to Atlanta to trade up and get DeAngelo Smith, who is not on their roster. Atlanta used Detroits pick to take DT Vance Walker.

2. The Lions really made out on this trade, in my opinion. Shonn Greene is probably going to be a good player for the Jets, but we got Levy, Sammie Lee Hill and Lydon Murtha. Getting a starting DT and a likely starter at LB for Greene was well worth it, in my opinion. Murtha will never be more than a backup, if he even gets that far. Good trade here.

3. The Lions got a future fifth rounder for a sixth rounder. That alone is a good thing, to me. But they also got to pick Zack Follett out of this deal. Denver took QB Tom Brandstater, who is actually looking to be pretty good. Depending on how well Brandstater works out, it could favor the Broncos. But Follett was a solid seventh round pick, and we'll see how well we use our 2010 fifth rounder from the Broncos. All in all, not bad.

So, based on this the wheeling and dealing done by Mayhew surrounding the 2009 draft was definitely a positive outcome. Certainly better than what we could have expected from the Moron.

October 2nd, 2009, 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]