View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Kirwan's Mock as of 4/20 
RIP Killer

Post Kirwan's Mock as of 4/20
I would love to have Rolle in the Lions secondary (CB or FS)

(April 18, 2005) -- Here's how I see the first round shaking out:

1. San Francisco: Alex Smith, QB, Utah
They may get a deal done with Aaron Rodgers, but Smith has more people convinced he's the best QB in the draft.

2. Miami: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
If Smith had fallen to them, I believe they would have selected him. But without the Utah QB, they pick the Auburn running back.

3. Cleveland: Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
The Browns pass on Rodgers, don't need a running back, and surprise some people with the wide receiver selection. They would have much rather moved down in the draft.

4. Chicago: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
They could consider a wide receiver like Mike Williams, but Benson makes a lot of sense.

5. Tampa Bay: Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
The Bucs would like to move up for Alex Smith and may get it done before the draft. Otherwise, they stay put and take a running back. Mike Williams looks tempting at this spot.

6. Tennessee: Mike Williams, WR, USC
If they want Norm Chow's offense to work and keep Steve McNair interested in continuing his career, they take Williams. I also wouldn't be surprised if they took a top-flight cornerback like Antrel Rolle.

7. Minnesota: Shawne Merriman, DE, Maryland
The Vikings may get Aaron Kampman before the draft, and that would change the decision. But if they don't get the Packers DE, then Mike Tice can get the player from his alma mater.

8. Arizona: Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
Johnson is just too good to pass up here and the Cardinals can build their defense around him.

9. Washington: Adam "Pacman" Jones, CB, West Virginia
There will be serious discussion about Antrel Rolle but it may come down to Joe Gibbs already having enough Miami Hurricanes who want new contracts.

10. Detroit: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (Fla.)
The run on corners is on, and Detroit will claim he was the highest-rated corner on their board, and he may very well be.

11. Dallas: Demarcus Ware, DE, Troy
The desire to shore up the defense and possibly switch to a 3-4 leads the Cowboys to take Ware.

12. San Diego: Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina
Williamson is a vertical threat who will open up all the underneath routes for Keenan McCardell and All-Pro TE Antonio Gates.

13. Houston: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
The Texans have been looking for a left tackle since Tony Boselli never regained his health.

14. Carolina: Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
A little early for the right tackle, but now the Panthers have their bookend tackles for years to come.

15. Kansas City: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
There will be discussion about Erasmus James and the other pass rushers, but Rogers is the last of the elite corners and would pair up nicely with Patrick Surtain if the trade goes through -- especially with Randy Moss in the division.

16. New Orleans: Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
The Saints defense needs playmakers and Johnson helps right away. They may consider Shaun Cody also at this point.

17. Cincinnati: Shaun Cody, DT/DE, USC
The Bengals need help up front and Cody is a versatile player with a motor.

18. Minnesota: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
The Vikings got their DE earlier, so they come back at this spot and draft Clayton, who will have an immediate impact in the slot.

19. St. Louis: Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma
The Rams need a free safety and the best one on the board is Pool. Linebacker is also a need, but they did sign two linebackers during free agency.

20. Dallas: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
The mission is complete -- now the Cowboys are headed to the 3-4 defense. Spears is the only player in the draft at DE with great size and will give Parcells a 'Richard Seymour' type of lineman.

21. Jacksonville: David Pollack, DE, Georgia
Forget the short arms; this guy should go higher in the draft because he is a playmaker. With the Jacksonville defensive tackles, Pollack could generate double-digit sacks as a rookie.

22. Baltimore: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
He slipped because of lack of production in the second half of the season last year but is a good fit for a team headed to the 4-3 defense.

23. Seattle: Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
He just got in some off-the-field trouble but it should not affect his draft status. The Seahawks signed Kelly Herndon from the Broncos but still need a young player to replace Ken Lucas.

24. Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal
Rogers may not fall this far if he doesn't do a pre-draft deal with the 49ers, but if he starts to slide no one really knows how far. He is the perfect guy to groom to replace Brett Favre when he retires.

25. Denver: Thomas Davis, SS, Georgia
He replaces Kenoy Kennedy, who departed during free agency.

26. N.Y. Jets: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
They can pick up a cornerback in free agency and come back in the next round for a young corner.

27. Atlanta: Matt Roth, DE, Iowa
Not the ideal player, and there may be some discussion about NT Mike Patterson and DE Justin Tuck, but it's who they agree on.

28. San Diego: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington
He is raw, but left tackles are hard to find and he may be ready when Rivers takes over in 2006.

29. Indianapolis: Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska
The Colts need a DT and a linebacker but Washington has speed and is rising on most draft boards.

30. Pittsburgh: Matt Jones, QB/WR/TE, Arkansas
Now the Steelers have four quarterbacks in the huddle: Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and big Matt.

31. Philadelphia: Chris Spencer, C, Mississippi
Line coaches tell me he's the best center prospect in 10 years.

32. New England: Barrett Ruud, LB, Nebraska
He's Bill Belichick's type of player, and he's a tackling machine.

April 20th, 2005, 2:17 pm
NFL Team Captain

Are you planning on Rolle playing safety or cornerback? Either I think it would be a great pick.

April 20th, 2005, 4:47 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

It would be a awesome pick. However, I just don't think Rolle will be available at the 10 spot. qswim.gif

April 20th, 2005, 7:18 pm
RIP Killer

I think he'd be solid at both. Maybe not a pro bowler, but he'll be a solid CB or FS within a short amount of time.

He's been going out of his way to not be affixed with the whole Miami Hurricane troubled prospect reputation. Maybe it's just because he realizes it could cost him millions...maybe he's just a quality guy. I dunno.

April 20th, 2005, 9:23 pm
National Champion

When Pat Kirwan gets into the nuts and bolts of football (like explaining the scouting combine or the slot receiver position, etc) I usually find that he produces informative and enjoyable reads. However, his mock drafts are an embarassment. Check out this winner from 2004!

1. SAN DIEGO -- ELI MANNING, QB
2. OAKLAND -- BEN ROETHLISBERGER, QB
3. ARIZONA -- LARRY FITZGERALD, WR
4. NEW YORK GIANTS -- ROBERT GALLERY, LT
5. WASHINGTON REDSKINS -- TOMMIE HARRIS, DT
6. DETROIT -- STEVEN JACKSON, RB
7. CLEVELAND -- KELLEN WINSLOW, TE
8. ATLANTA -- MIKE WILLIAMS, WR
9. JACKSONVILLE -- KENECHI UDEZE, DE
10. HOUSTON -- DUNTA ROBINSON, CB
11. PITTSBURGH -- DEANGELO HALL, CB
12. NEW YORK JETS -- SEAN TAYLOR.
13. BUFFALO -- ROY WILLIAMS, WR
14. CHICAGO -- VINCE WILFORK, DT
15. TAMPA BAY -- WILL SMITH, DE
16. SAN FRANCISCO -- REGGIE WILLIAMS, WR
17. CINCINNATI -- CHRIS GAMBLE, CB
18. NEW ORLEANS -- RANDY STARKS, DT.
19. MINNESOTA -- VERNON CAREY, OG.
20. MIAMI -- SHAWN ANDREWS, OT
21. NEW ENGLAND -- CHRIS PERRY, RB
22. DALLAS -- KEVIN JONES, RB
23. SEATTLE -- JONATHAN VILMA, LB.
24. DENVER -- D.J. WILLIAMS, LB.
25. GREEN BAY PACKERS -- PHILIP RIVERS, QB
26. ST. LOUIS -- ANTWAN ODOM, DE
27. TENNESSEE -- JUSTIN SMILEY, OG/OT.
28. PHILADELPHIA -- KARLOS DANSBY, LB
29. INDIANAPOLIS -- DERRICK STRAIT, CB
30. KANSAS CITY -- MICHAEL CLAYTON
31. CAROLINA -- BEN TROUPE, TE.
32. NEW ENGLAND -- CHRIS SNEE, OG.

Granted, this was an April 4th mock, but come on! Of course, not every prediction was horrible, but nobody else within a month of the draft had Roy Williams and Sean Taylor falling out of the top ten. Steven Jackson going at #6? I also like the idea that New England would be stupid enough to draft Chris Perrry in the first round.

April 21st, 2005, 12:09 am
NFL Veteran

True. I say Kirwan is a football god in the likeness of a senior writer/analyst. His knowledge is firstrate. His prediction skills aren't his forte though. Unlike Goose, who is more concerned with where he believes players will go and not where they should go. Gosselin is the king of Mocks... plus I think he's one of the best eyes in the scouting business.

April 21st, 2005, 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]