View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 NFL to start draft on Thursday in prime time 
Modmin Dude

Post NFL to start draft on Thursday in prime time
MLive wrote:
NFL to start draft on Thursday in prime time
by The Associated Press
Friday July 24, 2009, 7:58 AM
NEW YORK -- The NFL is making its already popular draft even more television-friendly, moving the first round to Thursday night.

Next year's draft will switch from a two-day, weekend format to a three-day event with the opening round in prime time for the first time.

The NFL said Thursday that the first round will begin at 7:30 p.m. EDT on April 22. The second and third rounds will start at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, with the last four rounds beginning Saturday morning.

"Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The draft will continue to be televised by ESPN and NFL Network and held at Radio City Music Hall.

Over the years, it has evolved from a mostly unnoticed affair to a major TV event. The draft took place on Saturday-Sunday from 1995-2009 and Sunday-Monday from 1988-94. Before that, it was held on one or two weekdays.

A total of 39 million viewers watched the draft this year.

The NFL said the first round lasted just under 3½ hours in 2009, which would fit in neatly into a prime-time slot.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... rsday.html

IMO, this stinks. The damn draft already takes waaaayyyy too long, now they're strectching it out to 3 days? WTF??? Of course, I'm sure all you draft junkies are going to love it :wink:

Thoughts?

July 24th, 2009, 9:36 am
RIP Killer

Draft junkie here loves it! I like stretching it out into shorter chunks. Think of this, you get an extra night of analysis and coverage after round 1, then 2&3, then 4-7

July 24th, 2009, 9:47 am
Modmin Dude

Draft junkie here loves it! I like stretching it out into shorter chunks. Think of this, you get an extra night of analysis and coverage after round 1, then 2&3, then 4-7

Oh gee, whoopdie-freaking-doo. It's all the analysis that I can't stand. :wink: (Gee thanks Kiper, see what you've done :lol: )

July 24th, 2009, 9:51 am
RIP Killer

I know you can't stand it, makes me like it even more!!! :twisted:

July 24th, 2009, 10:00 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't hate it but I'm sure there are many people who do simply because it'll be a stretched event. At least before it'd be done in an entire weekend rather than a stretch of four days. I'll probably still only watch the first 2 or 3 rounds and then let the board let me know what's going on after such.

July 24th, 2009, 10:25 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I really only watch the 1st round anyways.

NEVER GIVE UP!

July 24th, 2009, 12:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I watch day 1 pretty regularly...I lose intrest after that cuz no one has any in game footage of the players after the 4th rd or so.

July 24th, 2009, 3:18 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I think it's a bad idea. The NFL had the entire weekend to itself and now they are going to compete with Thursday night prime time TV. I don't see the usefulness of spreading the draft out over 3 days. I for one won't be able to catch the first round at least I'll miss the majority of it due to work. I guess the ratings will thell the truth though.

July 24th, 2009, 4:29 pm
RIP Killer

From a selfish standpoint, I don't like it because I teach on Thursday nights so I won't be home until two hours after the draft begins. But from a marketing standpoint (as if the NFL needs any more marketing) it is a good move. Many folks use their weekends in April for vacation or getaways. This will allow more people to watch it, and with prime time coverage the cost for advertising will be incredible. I would imagine that the charge per minute for ad time will be second only to the Superbowl.

July 26th, 2009, 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]