View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 so far who do you want with the lions first round pick 

the lions will most likely pick in the top 5 in the upcomming draft, who do you want to see them draft?
Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma State 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Ciron Black, OT, LSU 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Eric Berry, S, Tennesse 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Taylor Mays, S, USC 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 43

so far who do you want with the lions first round pick 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

M2K, you're right that the Lions have an extra 5th and that they don't have an extra "late" draft pick. Unfortunately, nobody knows yet which pick they gave up for Simpson and what pick they're going to get for O'Connell. Everyone assumes that it's a 7th in each case, but they have only been reported as "conditional".

October 7th, 2009, 9:36 am
RIP Killer

M2K, you're right that the Lions have an extra 5th and that they don't have an extra "late" draft pick. Unfortunately, nobody knows yet which pick they gave up for Simpson and what pick they're going to get for O'Connell. Everyone assumes that it's a 7th in each case, but they have only been reported as "conditional".

Right you are. I assume that the pick they got for O'Connell is the pick they gave up for Simpson. Not that I have a source for that, I just assume it based on how Mayhew wheels and deals.

October 7th, 2009, 9:41 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I forgot about Simpson. I also thought that the 5th from the redding trade was this year so didn't include it. My bad :lol:

October 8th, 2009, 12:51 am
RIP Killer

I forgot about Simpson. I also thought that the 5th from the redding trade was this year so didn't include it. My bad :lol:

I think quite a few people forgot about that trade, as well as the O'Connell deal. The fifth rounder we gave up to the Seahawks was used to trade with the Eagles to move up and get a third round pick (they took Deon Butler). The Eagles then traded that pick to New England. Then the Pats traded it to Baltimore. Ultimately they used it to take ILB Jason Phillips from TCU.

That was one well travelled draft pick.

October 8th, 2009, 7:41 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

the biggest needs are a LT and a DE and without them we really wont progress much. Backus gets paid a ton so theoretically we could use his money to get a DE or a LT and draft the other position in the first round. Of course who knows if a FA would come here. I think the BPA goes out the window in next years 1st rd and becomes best DE or OT available. If they decide to switch to a 3-4 than a NT probably becomes just as important as DE because you can than use linebackers as your passrushers and they can be found in the 2nd round or later.

That being said - if Eric Berry is available I think you take him and then trade back into the first round and scoop up a sliding DE or LT.

October 10th, 2009, 11:19 am
Team MVP

the biggest needs are a LT and a DE and without them we really wont progress much. Backus gets paid a ton so theoretically we could use his money to get a DE or a LT and draft the other position in the first round. Of course who knows if a FA would come here. I think the BPA goes out the window in next years 1st rd and becomes best DE or OT available. If they decide to switch to a 3-4 than a NT probably becomes just as important as DE because you can than use linebackers as your passrushers and they can be found in the 2nd round or later.

That being said - if Eric Berry is available I think you take him and then trade back into the first round and scoop up a sliding DE or LT.

You dont think we have ANY big needs in the secondary? What about DT?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 10th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Legend, I understand what you're saying, but I could make an argument that CB is their greatest need. Now, I'm not saying that they should draft one in the 1st round (primarily since it doesn't appear that there will be a top 10 CB in this draft), but it definitely must be addressed. Even though he sucks, the Lions do have Backus under contract at LT. At DE, they have White and Avril, but the position could use an upgrade. Guess who they have signed for next season at CB? Buchanon and King. That's it. Neither one of them is starting, nor should they, and they need atleast three more for depth. Personally, I feel that they have five pressing needs at CB, DE, DT, S, and LT, in no particular order.

October 10th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Another thing that needs to be considered is the chance there will be a rookie salary cap after the 2010 draft. The thought of that might lead some JRs that could be fringe 1st rounders to 2nd rounders to come out this year fearing they will make less money even if they are drafted higher in 2011.

October 11th, 2009, 9:03 am
RIP Killer

Backus may make more than he's worth, but by no means does he get paid "a ton". Certainly a rookie first round LT is going to cost us more than what Backus is making, once you figure in the bonus money.

I would love to see the Lions upgrade the LT spot, but defense is a far more pressing need. It has been largely ignored throughout Millen's reign of terror, and last years draft addressed some positions, but left others wide open. DE and CB being among them.

NT wouldn't be a need for the 3-4. Sammie Hill has that spot covered. I would say, as Sly did, that CB is a huge need. In my opinion, it is the most outstanding position of need, by far. We have no starting quality cornerbacks on our roster. None. We at least have players at other positions that are of starting quality. DE is second. White is a mediocre player now, but Avril is a starting quality player once he gets healthy. We have a bonafide starting in Delmas, and a pretty decent linebacking corps.

Our CBs are poor this year, and next year we've got garbage under contract. This team is going to be struggling defensively until we can get some cornerbacks who can play the receivers close, knock them off their routes, and allow the DL the time to get pressure.

October 11th, 2009, 9:18 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Am I the only one impressed with Hunters play?

October 11th, 2009, 10:29 am

Did anyone watch the Oklahoma State - Texas A&M game yesterday? I caught the second half and came away unimpressed with Russell Okung. The guy is a beast at run blocking, but he struggled against speed rushers during the game. Although I didn't see him give up a sack, he consistently was beaten to the edge which resulted in QB pressures. Another thing that I noticed was that he tipped off the play call. If it was a run, he was lined up on the LOS. If it was pass, he was a half yard further back, and even that didn't help him much. Of course this is just one game, but based upon what I saw, I see him as a RT at the next level. I felt the same way about Andre Smith last year. Thoughts?

October 11th, 2009, 11:16 am
RIP Killer

Am I the only one impressed with Hunters play?

No, I have been dutifully impressed with the level of his play. However, he is not what I call a pass rusher. He can develop, possibly, into one. He has a limited skill set right now, and gets by on raw determination more than his arsenal of pass rush moves. That determination can only take him so far.

October 11th, 2009, 12:32 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Did anyone watch the Oklahoma State - Texas A&M game yesterday? I caught the second half and came away unimpressed with Russell Okung. The guy is a beast at run blocking, but he struggled against speed rushers during the game. Although I didn't see him give up a sack, he consistently was beaten to the edge which resulted in QB pressures. Another thing that I noticed was that he tipped off the play call. If it was a run, he was lined up on the LOS. If it was pass, he was a half yard further back, and even that didn't help him much. Of course this is just one game, but based upon what I saw, I see him as a RT at the next level. I felt the same way about Andre Smith last year. Thoughts?

The book on him is that he's a good pass blocker but below average in the run and from what I've seen so far thats been the case... The more I learn about the guy the more I'm against spending a top 10 pick on him... I personally think if you're going to pick a lineman that high he shouldn't limit your offensive gameplan...

October 11th, 2009, 6:36 pm
Team MVP

Legend, I understand what you're saying, but I could make an argument that CB is their greatest need. Now, I'm not saying that they should draft one in the 1st round (primarily since it doesn't appear that there will be a top 10 CB in this draft), but it definitely must be addressed. Even though he sucks, the Lions do have Backus under contract at LT. At DE, they have White and Avril, but the position could use an upgrade. Guess who they have signed for next season at CB? Buchanon and King. That's it. Neither one of them is starting, nor should they, and they need atleast three more for depth. Personally, I feel that they have five pressing needs at CB, DE, DT, S, and LT, in no particular order.

I agree with those need positions. I like SLH at the DT spot but with Grady being old we need another quality starter there. Cohen and Fluellen will never be more than solid backups at best. IMO Corner and Left tackle are the most pressing needs. I'm so sick of Jeff Backus. I wish there were some better prospects at corner because we have nobody there. Maybe we can get lucky with a second or third rounder.

October 12th, 2009, 9:54 am

While the 2010 draft doesn't appear to have any top ten CBs, there are several that should be selected between the mid first and the fourth round. These include Joe Haden, Syd'Quan Thompson, Ras-I Dowling, Javier Arenas, Trevard Lindley, Patrick Robinson, Kyle Wilson, Brandon Ghee, Perrish Cox, Stephan Virgil, and Donovon Warren. Of course, some of these players will rise and fall, while others could be added to the list by the time the combine rolls around. This draft definitely isn't top heavy at CB, but it seems that there is some quality depth at the position.

With this in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to the Lions drafting two CBs between the 2nd and 4th rounds. An ideal scenario for me would be: 1st - DE/DT, 2nd - CB, 3rd - whichever DL position wasn't taken in the 1st, and 4th - CB.

October 13th, 2009, 1:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next