View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 3:16 am



Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 so far who do you want with the lions first round pick 

the lions will most likely pick in the top 5 in the upcomming draft, who do you want to see them draft?
Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma State 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Ciron Black, OT, LSU 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Eric Berry, S, Tennesse 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Taylor Mays, S, USC 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 43

 so far who do you want with the lions first round pick 
Author Message
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
I am still on the Gerald McCoy band wagon. Follw that up with CBs in round 2 and 3 cuase it always goes down smooth.

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 13th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
I wish I could re-vote...

Cuz it would be Suh. Games are won in the trenches. I do belive though that we need desperate help at the CB position.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 13th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
Berry is a legit talent and therefore deserves consideration from that reason. From a roster building standpoint, however, it's too easy to get average play from the safety position and I would rather upgrade the defensive line if the talent level of the player available is comparable. To me, Suh appears to be a beast (and fills an area of dire need), and thus he's my early favorite.

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


October 13th, 2009, 11:41 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
I'm not a fan of taking first round D-Linemen, but looking at the draft positions of arguably the top DTs currently in the game, the bulk were first rounders. Then again, I don't see any that were top 5. I'd rather give that money in the top 10 to a CB.

Undrafted - Pat Williams, Tommy Kelly

7th round - Jay Ratliff

3rd round - Darnell Dockett

2nd round - Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins,

1st round - Kevin Wiliams, Albert Haynesworth, Haloti Ngata, Tommie Harris, Marcus Stroud

As well, John Henderson and Mike Patterson were also first rounders.



BTW - McCoy is 295. He isn't big enough to play NT and projects as a UT.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 14th, 2009, 11:04 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
I had high hopes for Carlos Dunlap this season, but he has been a huge disappointment and is dropping like a rock. This is a recent write-up about him that doesn't cast him in a good light:
Walterfootball.com wrote:
Mr. Overrated

It isn't often a prospect is hyped up as a Top-10er and looks like a complete horsecrap on tape.

Welcome, to my blog, Mr. Carlos Dunlap. You are a joke of a prospect.

I am absolutely done with this "talent" in terms of evaluation at least until he plays three-plus games with outstanding consistency.

I have watched 12 quarters of film on Dunlap versus Tennessee, Kentucky and LSU. I have seen nothing but a complete lack of playmaking and an attitude that says, "I could give a **** whether or not I make plays."

Dunlap is hyped up as this monster pass-rusher because he put up double-digit sacks last season and is listed at 6-6, 290. People automatically think Mario Williams.

When I put on the tape, it is 100 percent clear to me he isn't a better football player than teammate Jermaine Cunningham.

There is absolutely no excuse for playing three games on national television and making only two or three impressive plays in that timespan. I'm not kidding - I call it like I see it. I don't want to make a mis-evaluation and be laughed at a year from now.

At times, especially in the second half, you will see Dunlap practically walking on the field during the middle of the play if he isn't within five yards of the ball-carrier. It's horrible.

Here are my notes on Dunlap's performance against LSU. (Stay tuned: I might have a special surprise coming in a few weeks to WalterFootball.com, but I don't want to give it away.) Plays are marked by quarter and the time the play occurred within the quarter. As a scout, I pride myself on being as objective as possible. I give credit where credit is due, and I don't give credit where I don't believe it is warranted.

Carlos Dunlap vs. LSU

-Doesn't fire out of his stance (1st-3:50)

-Lacks agility; sluggish when planting foot and exploding out of cut (2nd-11:16)

-Joseph Barksdale locks on; Dunlap shows no fight (2nd-10:47)

-Makes a good play against run, but it isn't jaw dropping (2nd-10:15)

-When QB gets past him, he jogs and shows no effort (2nd-9:30)

-Very physical; nice goal-line play (2nd-6:03)

-Shows poor discipline and leaves feet (2nd-0:39)

-Where is this elite pass rusher? Invisible at opportune moment. Where is the "athletic freak"? (3rd-8:21)

-Spin moved gets stuffed (3rd-6:46)

-Makes no play when run at (3rd-2:35)

-First rip move of the game vs. Barksdale's forearm (4th-7:17)... blocked easily by a one-armed, half-effort play by OT

-Very soft (4th-6:40)

-Plays with ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT (4th-4:18 )

I really hate Dunlap because when he is in a general area of a play, he looks completely disinterested.

I read this on his profile on NFLDraftScout.com; this excerpt was written before the season by Jeremy Fowler of the The Orlando Sentinel:

He really has cleaned up his act after two years of loafing around in practice. Defensive coordinator Charlie Strong joked the other day that Dunlap wouldn't run from him to a door about six yards away from him in the media room. Apparently now he mentors younger players and gets after it. Despite what he calls "lazy tactics" his first two years, he isn't labeled by NFL scouts as a guy who takes plays off in games.

I was mildly surprised yesterday when I read this because it completely confirmed my suspicions about his effort.

The bottom line is last year was last year, and this year is this year. Dunlap is so lackadaisical on the football field. The last thing he seems to care about is making plays. I don't see much speed or agility on tape, and I don't care what he is measured at.

Carlos Dunlap, right now, is the most overrated defensive player in the country. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I wouldn't draft him in Round 3.

_________________
Image


October 16th, 2009, 12:41 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7126
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
Berry is a legit talent and therefore deserves consideration from that reason. From a roster building standpoint, however, it's too easy to get average play from the safety position and I would rather upgrade the defensive line if the talent level of the player available is comparable. To me, Suh appears to be a beast (and fills an area of dire need), and thus he's my early favorite.


I agree with that. But, don't write off the possibility of still getting Berry or Mays.

Just look at last years draft. Louis Delmas was widely regarded as the best Safety in the draft. And where did we draft him again?

That's right, 2nd Round. And I bet that at least one or the other will be there in the 2nd for us this next draft.


October 16th, 2009, 10:59 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
I had high hopes for Carlos Dunlap this season, but he has been a huge disappointment and is dropping like a rock. This is a recent write-up about him that doesn't cast him in a good light:
Walterfootball.com wrote:
Mr. Overrated

It isn't often a prospect is hyped up as a Top-10er and looks like a complete horsecrap on tape.

Welcome, to my blog, Mr. Carlos Dunlap. You are a joke of a prospect.

I am absolutely done with this "talent" in terms of evaluation at least until he plays three-plus games with outstanding consistency.

I have watched 12 quarters of film on Dunlap versus Tennessee, Kentucky and LSU. I have seen nothing but a complete lack of playmaking and an attitude that says, "I could give a **** whether or not I make plays."

Dunlap is hyped up as this monster pass-rusher because he put up double-digit sacks last season and is listed at 6-6, 290. People automatically think Mario Williams.

When I put on the tape, it is 100 percent clear to me he isn't a better football player than teammate Jermaine Cunningham.

There is absolutely no excuse for playing three games on national television and making only two or three impressive plays in that timespan. I'm not kidding - I call it like I see it. I don't want to make a mis-evaluation and be laughed at a year from now.

At times, especially in the second half, you will see Dunlap practically walking on the field during the middle of the play if he isn't within five yards of the ball-carrier. It's horrible.

Here are my notes on Dunlap's performance against LSU. (Stay tuned: I might have a special surprise coming in a few weeks to WalterFootball.com, but I don't want to give it away.) Plays are marked by quarter and the time the play occurred within the quarter. As a scout, I pride myself on being as objective as possible. I give credit where credit is due, and I don't give credit where I don't believe it is warranted.

Carlos Dunlap vs. LSU

-Doesn't fire out of his stance (1st-3:50)

-Lacks agility; sluggish when planting foot and exploding out of cut (2nd-11:16)

-Joseph Barksdale locks on; Dunlap shows no fight (2nd-10:47)

-Makes a good play against run, but it isn't jaw dropping (2nd-10:15)

-When QB gets past him, he jogs and shows no effort (2nd-9:30)

-Very physical; nice goal-line play (2nd-6:03)

-Shows poor discipline and leaves feet (2nd-0:39)

-Where is this elite pass rusher? Invisible at opportune moment. Where is the "athletic freak"? (3rd-8:21)

-Spin moved gets stuffed (3rd-6:46)

-Makes no play when run at (3rd-2:35)

-First rip move of the game vs. Barksdale's forearm (4th-7:17)... blocked easily by a one-armed, half-effort play by OT

-Very soft (4th-6:40)

-Plays with ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT (4th-4:18 )

I really hate Dunlap because when he is in a general area of a play, he looks completely disinterested.

I read this on his profile on NFLDraftScout.com; this excerpt was written before the season by Jeremy Fowler of the The Orlando Sentinel:

He really has cleaned up his act after two years of loafing around in practice. Defensive coordinator Charlie Strong joked the other day that Dunlap wouldn't run from him to a door about six yards away from him in the media room. Apparently now he mentors younger players and gets after it. Despite what he calls "lazy tactics" his first two years, he isn't labeled by NFL scouts as a guy who takes plays off in games.

I was mildly surprised yesterday when I read this because it completely confirmed my suspicions about his effort.

The bottom line is last year was last year, and this year is this year. Dunlap is so lackadaisical on the football field. The last thing he seems to care about is making plays. I don't see much speed or agility on tape, and I don't care what he is measured at.

Carlos Dunlap, right now, is the most overrated defensive player in the country. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I wouldn't draft him in Round 3.


Yeah, I've disappointed with him this season too. I voted for him in this thread but I would change my vote if I could. He's looked lazy on the field to me. Suh is looking like a beast, so he would be my choice today.


October 17th, 2009, 1:41 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9775
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
BillySims wrote:
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
Berry is a legit talent and therefore deserves consideration from that reason. From a roster building standpoint, however, it's too easy to get average play from the safety position and I would rather upgrade the defensive line if the talent level of the player available is comparable. To me, Suh appears to be a beast (and fills an area of dire need), and thus he's my early favorite.


I agree with that. But, don't write off the possibility of still getting Berry or Mays.

Just look at last years draft. Louis Delmas was widely regarded as the best Safety in the draft. And where did we draft him again?

That's right, 2nd Round. And I bet that at least one or the other will be there in the 2nd for us this next draft.


Louis Delmas may have been the highest rated safety in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was considered to be as good of an NFL prospect as Berry or Mays. Both Berry and Mays have been talked about as possible top ten picks......Delmas was never considered to be that type of player. It is still possible for one or both players to fall, but I am just pointing out the problem with your argument at this point.


October 17th, 2009, 11:35 am
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
Berry is a legit talent and therefore deserves consideration from that reason. From a roster building standpoint, however, it's too easy to get average play from the safety position and I would rather upgrade the defensive line if the talent level of the player available is comparable. To me, Suh appears to be a beast (and fills an area of dire need), and thus he's my early favorite.


I agree with that. But, don't write off the possibility of still getting Berry or Mays.

Just look at last years draft. Louis Delmas was widely regarded as the best Safety in the draft. And where did we draft him again?

That's right, 2nd Round. And I bet that at least one or the other will be there in the 2nd for us this next draft.


Louis Delmas may have been the highest rated safety in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was considered to be as good of an NFL prospect as Berry or Mays. Both Berry and Mays have been talked about as possible top ten picks......Delmas was never considered to be that type of player. It is still possible for one or both players to fall, but I am just pointing out the problem with your argument at this point.
agreed

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


October 17th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Profile
Post 
After this week is there any doubt that our OL needs MAJOR help? I'm all for taking the most talented player at DT, DE or LT, but we need to do something with our OL. Our defense played poorly today, no doubt, but it wasn't our DT's and more importantly: 1) they played better than our offense, and 2) they would have performed better if our offense could have moved the ball. After the first 1/2 GB's TOP was over 20 minutes, and the Lions TOP was under 10. That's terrible...


October 18th, 2009, 4:39 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3260
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post 
Ya know... right now Im all for drafting Ndamakong Suh as long as he ends up being what theyre saying...

But the more I think about it, the more im all for taking the best player available again. You think?

I mean, we need just about everything.....S, CB, OT, OG, DT, DE, C, another RB, maybe another WR threat....

Its unbelievable.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


October 18th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1002
Post 
kdsberman wrote:
Ya know... right now Im all for drafting Ndamakong Suh as long as he ends up being what theyre saying...

But the more I think about it, the more im all for taking the best player available again. You think?

I mean, we need just about everything.....S, CB, OT, OG, DT, DE, C, another RB, maybe another WR threat....

Its unbelievable.


Absolutely agree with you on BPA's. We have so many needs, and I like that you pointed out the RB position. Smith has no break away speed.


October 19th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
I think we are going to be high enough on the draft boards again that we can do BPA and draft a position at the same time. There is always a group of top tier players that are all the same level. Unless there is a AP or another can't miss guy there, we can still grab someone from this top tier and not loss out on getting a guy at a position we have of great need. If we fall back to 6 or later that is when it gets a little sticky, but top 5 usually gets you within the top tier talents that are ALL BPA. You just get a choice at that point.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


October 19th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
I just wanted to go on record this early to predict that DE Derrick Morgan will be the Lions' 1st round pick. I mentioned him a couple weeks ago and now he is finally starting to appear in the 1st round of mock drafts. By the end of the combine, I'm fairly certain that he will be viewed as a top ten pick by nearly everyone.

_________________
Image


October 29th, 2009, 9:01 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2268
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
I just wanted to go on record this early to predict that DE Derrick Morgan will be the Lions' 1st round pick. I mentioned him a couple weeks ago and now he is finally starting to appear in the 1st round of mock drafts. By the end of the combine, I'm fairly certain that he will be viewed as a top ten pick by nearly everyone.


I've been following Morgan for a couple of years now Sly with him impressing me more than the overhyped Johnson. My only question is if he is going to be graduated by then. He is a very intelligent individual and is an education first type of guy. I know he started GTech in January so he could work with the team during spring practice but I'm sure where he is at as far as his degree is concerned. Even if he hasn't obtained his degree by then he may still come out but I'm not sure. He's near the top of my wishlist whether it's this year or next.


October 29th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Killwill25 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.